Keep KOF2K on NeoGeo!

NeoGML

Fighting Artist
I really hope they don't port KOF2K to other systems. I mean, i know it'd make some more money for SNK, and it'd be easier for people who don't have neo to get it, but i think that it's too good to be made into crappier versions on other platforms. Also, when someone plays KOF2K on a PSX, people would be like, "this game sux. look at the animation! it looks like a flip book! booo hoo!" It pretty much makes it look bad. I know this is a somewhat random topic, and i know that this may upset people who buy DC Neo games, but i just had to say this. KOF2K should be a Neo exclusive title.

------------------
-=NeoGML=-

I must agree with you it is better to do the game justice or not produce it at all. I am getting rather tired of seeing crappy ports from the Neo as well as other systems.

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
I agree with both of you. If people want to experience KOF 2K, they should purchase a Neo-Geo cartridge system. You can purchase a good, used Neo cart system for the price of a PS2.

------------------
terry1.gif

NeoLord
Neo-News and much more!
http://neonews.cjb.net

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
I see you guys point. But, I would like to see KOF 2000 to be accessible on other platforms. I am tired of the term "exclusive" (hmm, I wonder where I hear that?). Though probably it wouldn't be the same experience, my opinon is that if more people enjoy the game, the better for Neo Geo as a whole.

Others might want Neo Geo titles (let say MS 3) to be exclusive because of the price decrease (like, I can't sell it and get a profit, or I paid $500 when I could have gotten it for $50), and its understandable. But, it doesn't really matter with me. Mainly I go for the gameplay, not for its value.

------------------
ffmw_terry.gif

"Come on, get serious!"

[This message has been edited by Master Terry Bogard (edited March 14, 2001).]

Master Terry Bogard:
The problem is the term enjoy. Each KoF game that I have seen has been badly transferred to the new system. For instance the two KoF games on dreamcast are OK at best. If the translation was better then it would be a different story. But the way they have been making the games on PS1 and Dreamcast is a poor effort at best. I agree that the SNK/NEO GEO should be brought to a larger fan base but the game has to be good in order to gain more support for the NEO. If SNK were to bring out a great translation of KoF2K game to the Dreamcast (or PS2) then I wouldn't mind. Just my thoughts.

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
I agree. But, to those who are not used (or used) to games on Neo Geo may actually enjoy the converted games on diff platforms. I thought KOF 99
biggrin.gif
M for DC was a solid game w/ many minor flaws--but I didn't expect exact translation, so it was fine with me. However, I throughtly enjoyed KOF 99:Evolution for DC. Infact, I played that version more than the Neo Geo counterpart. And there lies the issue. Some may like it, and some wouldn't. It's just matter of preference. Why not bring the games and let others decide?

------------------
ffmw_terry.gif

"Come on, get serious!"

NeoGML

Fighting Artist
good points. Exclusive, heh! If SNK is going to port Neo games to other platforms, they should only do it on DC or PS2. Although, my friend who hasn't experienced the KOF99 on Neo, LOVES the PS version. strange. I know people say the the lack of frames doesn't detract from the gameplay, but in my opinion, i think it does
biggrin.gif

------------------
-=NeoGML=-

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I think that as long as the games are well done translations, like KOF 99 Evolution and Last Blade 2 for DC, there's no harm in porting them over. If SNK had taken more care with their ports early on they could have penetrated the console market much more effectively, increased awareness of their product and created greater demand. But they really should have done all this when 2D fighters were still all the rage.

Nowadays, the marketplace is looking for the next Tekken Tag Battle, not the next Mark Of The Wolves. Time has thrown the Neo Geo to the wayside, and while I (like everyone else that comes to this site) will support the Neo Geo until its last days, most of the video game market simply doesn't care if LB3 or MOTW2 ever comes out.

At this point, porting KOF2K is probably just a waste of time. Mark Of The Wolves could get ported over to PS2 (the gaming poser's system of choice these days), be a PERFECT translation in every way, and sites like Daily Dumbass would still knock it because it's not 'next generation' enough. Hell, they probably reviewed KOF Evolution via recorded dictation while playing the latest network FPS spazzfest at the same time:P!

Sorry...rant mode off
smile.gif

Let's face it, guys. We're pretty much all that's left. Let's enjoy it while it lasts.

------------------
hanzo.gif

Taiso
'Because of my bloody life, it was no accident that I was involved in the troubles...'

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
i dunno
i agree that the cart versions
have always been superior
to any ports ever attempted
but hey like
i have 4 friends that went out
and bought the import kof99
when it first came out
like its great if you dont have
the cart system
the dc version isnt
that bad actually
and whenever SNK ports their games
they always add neat extras like
art galleries or different backrounds
or chara
i understand what your
saying but i think a kof2000
on dc would be awsome
i know it could handle it

------------------
vectorjoe.gif

I AM THE SATAN OF NEOGEOPOCKET!!!!!!!

thundr51

Bead Banger
I think it would be a great idea to port it over. After EXTENSIVELY playing KOF98(kof99DC) I had to get it on the neo, but because of school and such, there was no way I was going to get it then, so I was stuck with the dc version. Currently I've love to get a DC version of KOF2k while I wait for the MVS cart to come down in price. Meanwhile I'll have to wait for my MOTW to arrive.
smile.gif

kof98_athenapowerup.gif

NeoGML

Fighting Artist
how about you tell me where your address is and you look the other way when your MOTW is delivered?
biggrin.gif

------------------
-=NeoGML=-

Yojimbo

n00b
Isn't the dreamcast port of Kof99 better than the neogeo version?
Why shouldn't Kof2000 appear on dreamcast?I mean you have had the game for ages exclusively on neogeo already.

Ragnarok

Quiz Detective
Well, we all know how crapy are the translations to consoles of SNK fighters. specially Kof and Samurai Shodown.

But dammit, you're sayin that such a great game as KOF 2000 (even with that cheap striker system) must be only in a console that is owned for a percentage less than 10% of the gamers of the world? Gosh, that's selfish.

Even if it's a crappy translation of a third party company (and that could be a grat bussiness to Azure), you must gave the world a legal way of play KOF in home. If SNK keep it in N-G only, that will be the most powerful boost to the emu scene so hated for all of ya.

------------------
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day.
Tomorrow's not looking good either.

Nari

Kuroko's Training Dummy
If I were to engage in nitpicking, the faults I would find with the DC ports so far would be: '98 - the stage music restarts everytime a new round begins, '99 - the stages dun change with each match (except the first plane stage and the sewers stage), missed the park stage's transition from sunny to stormy, LB cut frames and introductions. Other than these, the DC port is fine. Nothing wrong with Neo geo home carts port, but as it is pointed out it is too expensive and for poor students like me.....in my country one neogeo cart can buy you a DC set plus arcade stick.....

However, I'm more concerned with the limitations of the MVS board.....2k had already a number of cut frames and removed/modified moves...just hope that those rumours of a chip upgrade for the MVS is true if not we may just see Terry being riduced to only 3 special moves in 2K 1.

------------------
"I can't lose. For nature's sake"

Fat Cat Lim

Geese's Thug
Alot of cut frames between previous intros with the characters. Check out King. Also Mai's boobies doesn't shake anymore
icon20.gif
. Less background changes (unless, if of course, you count SDM backgrounds and 2 Kula ice-frozen stages as changes in background).

Fat Cat Lim

------------------
Mysterious. Debonair. Criminally Insane.

[This message has been edited by Fat Cat Lim (edited April 14, 2001).]

NeoGML

Fighting Artist
Mai's boobies don't shake anymore? what the hell are you talking about? lemme go look...
yep, still bouncin! they bounce a lot man, look again! (note that i'm playing the jap. version)

------------------
31436715.jpg

Fat Cat Lim

Geese's Thug
???? It still there in KOF2K? Odd, the arcade version seems to be cut...

Fat Cat Lim

------------------

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
My gues is the US BIOS for MVS and Home is the determining factor for boobie bounce.

NeoGML

Fighting Artist
Oh yeah, Neo's cart is still bouncin! boing! boing!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
31436715.jpg

Fat Cat Lim

Geese's Thug
Lucky bastard!
icon20.gif
Grrr...

Fat Cat Lim

------------------

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yojimbo:
Isn't the dreamcast port of Kof99 better than the neogeo version?
Why shouldn't Kof2000 appear on dreamcast?I mean you have had the game for ages exclusively on neogeo already.

Not really... the action seemed somewhat slower on DC (I own the game). The backgrounds were better, but everything else (for the most part) staid the same.

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
I do not understand the PSX translations of KoF '98 and '99.

My friend has a burned copy of each. Before you jump down my throat about owning the real thing and all, let me explain to you something I noticed about the burns.

The burn line for each game only takes up about HALF the CD.

You know what this means? You got that right, the other half is completely EMPTY!

This meant for some insane strange reason, SNK cut out a ton of frames in the PSX version.

I just don't understand this. Did SNK cut the animations in the game in half to reduce loading times or something? I always thought that SNK simply didn't have enough room on the PSX CD to implement the animations and therefore decided to cut corners (like they did with KOF 2K) to fit the entire game onto the CD.

And dangit, why did they have to stop making Mai's boobs bouncy in the US version but they let the Japanese guys stare at her boobs?

------------------
"Ore no, kachi da!!!"