Tell me about King of Fighters....

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
Alright... I never played the game... any version. Never. But I hear it's as good as a SF clone is gonna get.

My question is... what exactly is the charm about the game? How does KoF series compare to the Shodown Series? The World Heroes series?

And which one would you rather have.... KoF 96 or KoF 97? Between those two only. Thanks.... I have the chance to get 97 or 96 for Saturn and I guess it's time I gave KoF a chance..... which version should I get?
I know there is rarely music in KoF 97 and that Geese Howard, Mr. Big is gone.... 96 or 97?

And.... just what the big deal about KoF is all about.... thanks!

------------------
"Good Night, Fuuma... Boodayakann!" -Hanzou

S

Silent_Scope

I don't know why I like Street Fighter. I just know that I'm addicting to it when it first came out in the early 90s.
Same thing to KOF. It's fun to use different team members and play over and over and over and over............
biggrin.gif

------------------
Silent_Scope
norikos.jpg

My dream girl....where are you?

PrOzErG

Sacrifice is pleasure, , ,
You may want to download A NeoGeo Emulator and try the 2 games before buying it (KOF is not a SF CLONE !!!!)

------------------
kofKrizalid2Animated9.gif

"Vengeance cuts both ways"

NeoGML

Fighting Artist
I agree 110% with zergman. SF took a whole load of things from SNK fighters, like Guard Crush, "alpha counter" type things, etc. KOF is one of the best series ever, if not my favorite. Neo rules. the saturn version may not live up to the neo version, but i hear that the saturn versions are the best ports next to the DC ones. I really liked 97, and i haven't played 96. buy both, and have fun!

------------------
-=NeoGML=-

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Steve:
Alright... I never played the game... any version. Never. But I hear it's as good as a SF clone is gonna get.

A Street Fighter clone? Sorry, its not even close to being a Street Fighter clone!
Don't forget that Capcom stole the Tag Team play mechanics from KOF '94 and used them to create their much coveted Vs. series.... hmmm.. maybe we should refer to Capcom's Vs series as KOF clones?

P.S. A SF clone would be something like Breakers Revenge by Visco -- the KOF
series uses original backgrounds, characters, moves, and back stories (they make SF pale in
comparison).

------------------
terry1.gif

NeoLord
Neo-News and much more!
http://neonews.cjb.net

[This message has been edited by NeoLord (edited March 18, 2001).]

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
SNK pioneered counters, reversals, and the rage gage (first to appear in the AOF
series and SS) long before Capcom implemented them into their fighters. People
credit Capcom for these invitations, but real gamers know who the credit really belongs to.

------------------
terry1.gif

NeoLord
Neo-News and much more!

Ukyo

20 Year Member
The best thing about KOF is the Character Designs...and the interaction between the fighters each year. The SNK Fighters beat the fuck out of Capcom's Street Fighter Designs. The characters have much more personality...you actually feel like you know them after a while. You will see
smile.gif

------------------
Look for me on Phantasy Star Online :) Ship: Oberon / Player:Kiera

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
Thanks guys.... hmmm know them after a while.... LOL..... yeah I don't really feel that connection with SF. I'll look into KoF.... thanks.

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ukyo:
The best thing about KOF is the Character Designs...and the interaction between the fighters each year. The SNK Fighters beat the fuck out of Capcom's Street Fighter Designs. The characters have much more personality...you actually feel like you know them after a while. You will see
smile.gif

Right, exactly! When two friends pair off (like Clark and Ralf) they interact by showing off to each other before fighting (the characters are portrayed as 'real' people with their own personalities. Capcom's characters just stare aimlessly at each other until the announcer says 'Fight!'). Attention to detail can make a big difference, which is why Neo-Geo games are so damn fun!
biggrin.gif

------------------
terry1.gif

NeoLord
Neo-News and much more!

[This message has been edited by NeoLord (edited March 18, 2001).]

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
What's the charm? Kind of had to experience it back in the day, when fighting games were breaking new ground with each new release, but in general it's the 3 vs 3 Team Battle System, and from there the characters involved. Comparing it to Samurai Shodown, well this is a standard 2-D fighter, no weapons, only with teams of three combattants, with faster gameplay, more combos, juggles, all with a lot of storyline behind them. The almighty World Heroes is just too different from KoF to warrant an appropriate comparison; they're largely from different times, and since I haven't ever played much of Perfect, I can't make that comparison either.

'96 or '97........ really tough for me. '96 was the original re-inventing of the series, and has a sort of hidden beauty to it. It was the last KOF to use personalized backgrounds (though two are shared), the music is superb, the storyline is involving, combo engine is right up there with the best, is has some infinites & cheap tricks, the multiple hit cancels.... a whole lot! I played '97 before '96, and so I really didn't have a clue what the story was about. And since the series is driven by the underlying story, I highly suggest you go with '96 for now, then go on to '97, which is the finale to the 11 game chain of different SNK series.

Overall '96 is my second favourite of the series, behind the original from '94. The Boss Team of Geese Howard, Wolfgang Krauser & Mr. Big is only to be found in '96, that is, not '97.

Anything else?

NBM

I

Iori

If you're getting the Saturn Port, get '97. In '96 for Saturn, the game likes to crash if you finish with an edited team.

------------------
vicecharge.gif

DEVIL_GUI

You can fantasize all day long, believing that you
ID SAY BEING NEW TO THE SERIES, START WITH '97

IT HAS AVANCED AND EXTRA MODES.....YOU CAN PLAY CAPCOM SAVE SUPER STOCKS STYLE....OR SNK CHARGE STYLE.......THERES 2 STYLES OF DASH AVOID AS WELL.....THEN THERES TO LOW ENERGY STUFF IN EXTRA
wink.gif

96 RESTRICTS YOU TO 1 STYLE, IT DOES HAVE GREAT ART, BUT BENIMARUS NOTHING IN THAT GAME (BENIMARUS EVERYONES HERO!) WITHOUT HIS DOWNWARD KICK....

KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97
KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97 KOF 97
YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO.........

DEVIL GUI

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
One of the things that drew me into SNK's fighters besides the very coherent story (when compared to other video games, don't expect TOO much), incredible character design, etc., was how the gameplay seemed to be a little more difficult to pick up on, but the payoff was a lot bigger. A good example is Geese Howard's Raging Storm super move. Something that turns a lot of people off from the KoF games is that your timing has to be dead on perfect to get the comboes right and the systems is VERY beginner unfriendly.

If you stick with it though, you'll find that it is the overall best 2D fighter series ever made.

If you want to know more storyline info you should play the early Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting games as well.

[This message has been edited by Neo Rasa (edited March 27, 2001).]

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
yea, i'd go with '97, i actually like the feel it has being a televised event, it seems more realistic. '96 is good but the music is kinda bad and it does crash with edited teams.

also dont forget you're gonna need a ram card or like a 4in1 to play it.

M

mai's bed

I advise you should take 97,the gameplay was largely improved compared to the 96,97 got a cool story line,command moves were added to lengthen the combos,and it is filled with little bugs that allow you to juggle lot more
Moreover with the Ram cart loading times are great.

Mike Tham

n00b
I highly recommend you download KOF98 and play it on your PC. KOF is very different from SF. 94 is more similar but KOF has been going in a different direction. Most important difference is character movement. KOF characters can dash, slide/roll back and forward and have 3 different jumps : hop, normal and long.

When playing Zangief on SFZ, the worse thing is that after nailing the piledriver, I have to negotiate fireballs/Dhalsim's limbs etc just to get close. KOF characters have more mobility and ways to attack. The roll and long jump discourage fireballs and the short hop is important for playing offensive.

Most importantly, do not play KOF like SF. Anyone who thinks SF and KOF are the same do not know anything about fighting games. Lastly, 97 is not the most balanced KOF and some characters are 'half complete'.

If u have the money, get 95 for the saturn. It has almost zero loading time.

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
Again, thanks for all the words of encouragement. I got KOF '97. How do I like it? MUCH! Ryo is one fun bastard to use....
But poor Andy... the kid looks scrawnier then usual....