KOF 94 weird thing

mahumodo

n00b
While I was playing KOF 94 joe (one of my other team members) jumped out from the background and then went back again. Has anyone seen this happen?

Mystery

Sakura's Bank Manager
Yup...happens in all KoFs up to 98 (since 99 the teammates in the background were removed). If you've got a character in your team who's attitude towards the playing character is positive, he'll jump in while your character is being grabbed and defend him (I think you need to press a certain button combination which I'm not sure about right now).

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Hello. This is my first post here. I hope I can be of help.

Anyway, I believe only holding down ABC works to pull off the team member assist function. It works for either a prolonged grab (like Joe's knee one where he repeated hits you), or for when your character is dizzy.

Pre-KOF 98, the only requirement was to have a non-defeated team member in the background. KOF 98 added the whole idea of character relationships to whether they help you or not, and whether super stocks carry over, diminish, or increase by one. The relationships were more or less story-based.

The Dreamcast conversion of 98, Dreammatch changed this slightly. Making the character relationships changable. In that version, it records what characters are teamed up the most with and calculates relationships that way. It should start like the arcade version, but I can't remember since it's been forever since I played KOF 99 Dreammatch without loading from a save. So if Kim is used with orochi-based characters all the time, picking the same chars will have even Kim like them.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Right you onle need to use ABC, in KOF'94 your life bar has to be less than your opponent's and your teammates have to visible, meaning on their side to jump in. I believe there's 40%-50% chance that they will come out...

This option is not avialable in KOF'99.