More about SS64 2: warrior's rage

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
I only get to play this game once a week. Each time I play it though, I become more and more impressed with it. The thing that struck me this time (now that I have become well acquainted with all of the characters) is that this game is perfectly balanced. No one character has an advantage over another. I can't think of another fighter that has balanced it's characters this well.

All characters have a wide assortment of grab moves as well... which is a big plus as well.

I wonder how much I'll like this in the future if it still keeps impressing me!

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I played this game in 12/98, in the arcades. I now own the game since 99. And I still love the game so much. And I know there is one move I haven't learned, maybe two (yes, with bust hanzo).

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Oh my, Bust Hanzo. At first, I was thinking, "What? All grab moves?". Then I saw them, and I thought it was awesome. I love the Xray slides that pop up when you break one of your opponents bones. The first time it happened it really suprised me.

I know there are a ton of grabs that can be combo'd with others... but I haven't been able to do them. Maybe when I get myself a nova and get more time on my hands I will learn even more moves.

PS - I forget his name, but the human version of the robot... he has a throw move where throws the opponent REALLY high in the air, like Juzo's home run throw in Last blade (but much much higher)... what button combos are there to follow up on that throw?

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
have you looked for the faq on this game? There is one in gamefaqs.com, and it's really long and thorough. I wrote it.

Are you really talking about SS 64 2????

Well IMHO SS 64 1 much better!!!

Half of the SS 64 2 cast sucks and their specials aren´t that tough either! :(

naomi

Marked Wolf
I love this game as well.
I think that Asura (?) is a little on the unbalanced side.He does so much damage,and has a very far reach.
But the first one I think is perfectly balanced.
The stanima gauge is great, it keeps the game more balanced in my opinion.

They both are great games and you are missing out if you have not played these creations of art.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
What balances out Asura on "chivalry" is that his moves are very slow. A lot of his moves envole him turning his body a little bit (which creates a little lag to the time where he can repossition and block, especially if you sidestep), so you if you look for that moment, you can easily get off a super or the power slash. Asura on "treachery" (he might have a different name on treachery... can't remember) is a bit harder, because he can charge up his slashes with "backwards dragonpunch + D", but still, has no more advantages than others because some of his attributes are different. The move that is pretty cheap though is his lightening strike. You can use that while people are on the ground... but then again, a couple other characters have that similar move too.

Is SS1 really that good? Tell me more about it.

Wasabi, I'll check out the FAQ.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I don't see how asura is considered as "unbalanced" when you have have characters like bust Kazuki and bust Genjuro who can do more damage on just one hit.

And SS 64 is a good game, but the textures aren't as refined as in SS64 2, and the character design in SS64 2 is a lot better.

Moreover, there are no sucky cast members in SS64 one or two except Rimururu.

naomi

Marked Wolf
SS 64 is not as sharp graphically as 2 but you would expect that.
Gameplay wise it's alot more technical with the stanima gauge imo.
When your gauge is empty you gasp for air and cant move for a couple seconds.
When its half empty you can't combo (scs),its color coded.
And the combo (scs) system is easier to pull off. :D
The style of play is different.
The animation drawing that flashes when you do a pow move.Wow.A Samurai Showdown masterpiece, very artistic.
During vs. matches you can select the stage to battle on.
I think SS 64 is a better game, but I'll agree that graphically SS 64 2 is superior.

SS 64 2 Asura (slash) feels almost like a
sub-boss character,imo
Asura (bust) I feel is balanced.
The slash has so many moves.
So many power moves,so many range attacks

I agree,Kazuki (bust) and Genjuro (bust) are both on the extreme power side as well.

Maybe "unbalanced" was a little harsh
:cool:

[ February 19, 2002: Message edited by: naomi ]</p>

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Hmmmm... How is the frame rate in SS64? I hear it's pretty slow. The combo function seems to really make it a different game, although, I do hear the stamina gauge tires out way too quickly. Daily reminder: SS64II kicks!

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Originally posted by naomi:
<strong>
When its half empty you can't combo (scs),its color coded.
And the combo (scs) system is easier to pull off. :D </strong><hr></blockquote>

NO WAY. The SS64 2 SCS system is way easier to pull off - in fact too easy. I mean, the whole game could revolve around it, and it's almost too stupid, but it is easier.

I really like both games, and right now I have SS 64 in my hyper, not SS64 2, but when I look at both games, I'd rather have 2. It's just so excellent on so many levels. Moreover, the DMs in SS 64 suck by comparison. SS 64 2 blows it away in terms of DMs: Bust Kazuki (each and every variation on the DM), Asura, Hanma, Bust Haohmaru (video action Haohmaru as I call him), and of course the impossible bust Sogetsu. I mean, completing Sogetsu's entire DM is INVIGORATING. I know it sounds crazy, but when you pull it off, you'll know what I mean. Somewhere I have some videos I made of this game...

Lost Basura

King's Dry Cleaner
i'd play $5 a play just to be able to play this game. i want to play it so badly. it looks so cool.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
If you drive up to maryland, I'll let you play for 5$ a play!

It really is good. It's an amazing balance between tactical and agressive play - just what the SS series was meant to be.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Here is what the hyper series is not:

Combo heavy.

And therefore it isn't anything like Tekken or soul calibur (which don't make much sense anyways.

Want to know why some attacks are so powerful? Because they're using swords. You could slice up an oppenent in Soul Calibur 20 times with Xianghua and still lose! WTF!

Also notice that in SS 64 2 you get different damage levels for which part of the body you hit. Go ahead and test it out.

Damage from highest to lowest
Head
Body
Feet and Arms

I've gotten off topic, but you see how SS 64 2 moved beyond SS 64, and in a completely different path form Tekken or SC.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Great point to bring up Wasabi. I don't know of any other fighter that has implimented this system. That is definitely a step of progress in fighters. I wonder if that will be followed up in future games.

PS - Soul Caliber and Tekken blow.

naomi

Marked Wolf
Also notice that in SS 64 2 you get different damage levels for which part of the body you hit. Go ahead and test it out.

Damage from highest to lowest
Head
Body
Feet and Arms

I did not notice that.
I am going to check it out right now.

squints84

n00b
Unfortunately, both SS64 and SS64-2 never made it to home systems....but Hyper Neo-geo aren't that pricy nowadays.

While I haven't played SS64-2, I do have the soundtrack and have seen screenshots. the music is way better in 2 and the characters are smoother, but I heard that the gameplay in 2 is a little slower.....when it comes to SS64, I've mastered just about every character. Definitely, SS64 is one of the best fighting games ever made....the only thing that killed it and the Hyper Neo-Geo 64 system, is the lack of good marketing.

While I can't really compare the two I know for sure that SS64 is definitely one of the best. It set up a 3D fighting game that had a slight 2D feel and was set up for people who can't do crap on Tekken....and let's not forget....SS64 is button masher proof.