Should I buy a hyper 64???

doughboy

Lurker.
Hi,

Got my first mvs coming soon, can't wait.

But I'm also tempted by the 64. Am I right in thinking that there's only 4 games available, and that they're all fighters??

I'm only a casual fighter fan so would I be mad to buy the 64?? How does it compare to games like capcom vs snk on the dc which I love, and seeing as Mark of the Wolves is also coming out on DC would i be wasting my money for only 3 or 4 games??

Cheers

For you I would say yes it would be a waste of money. Spend it on games for your system or something. If you run into a great deal down the road pick one up then.

C

Caris Nautilus

Get a hyper, the prices for them are to good to pass up. There is only 4 games you'll be able to play on it for now, but they are ALL excellent.

It's definetly worth the small investment for fighting game fans

------------------

doughboy

Lurker.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

I've got a fat load of overtime coming next friday and I could say f'it and just buy the thing, but then I'd get grief from the misses and her kid.

Thing is, I'm 25 so that means the neo came out when I was in my teens so obviously I've lusted after one for a while. Now i can buy one without worrying about the money.

I'm also mad about my car. UK guys rather than US or whatever, I've got an 89 205 gti which is in better condition than most cars quarter its age. Now do I spend 500 quid on a pukka gearbox or a pukka neo setup????

I don't know what to do....

To make matters worse, my best mate wants to got to LA for a week. He reckons about 1500 quid. Ouch.

What would you guys do??

bwi

20 Year Member
£500 on a gearbox , christ just get a Mi16 engine and drop that in
smile.gif

Bri

P.S get a hyper its only money after all

doughboy

Lurker.
Hey, are you a pug fan??

I would love an Mi16 in my 205.

Rather have a gti6 lump though.

Gonna have Pug Ecosse antares arches coming soon hopefully too. Enough to get the old juices flowing???

jasper

n00b
how much does a 6hyper 64 coat any way.which one should i get a hyper 64 or a mvs.

prodo

n00b
As I believe that SNK are going under. What's the position with the Hyper 64? As I recall I received info on it over 2 years ago. I'm a bit sad to learn that they've only produced 4 games for it. Besides where do you find out more about the Hyper 64 and where do you buy one on the internet?

Thanks.

------------------
Prodo

bwi

20 Year Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by doughboy:
Hey, are you a pug fan??

I would love an Mi16 in my 205.

Rather have a gti6 lump though.

Gonna have Pug Ecosse antares arches coming soon hopefully too. Enough to get the old juices flowing???

I always liked the Gti , but my heart is blessed with an RS
smile.gif

Bri
edit: bad grammar

[This message has been edited by bwi (edited April 22, 2001).]

prodo

n00b
Thanks Bri!

This is really interesting. I thought that the Hyper 64 was a (games) console. So do you just hook them (Hyper 64's) up to a TV/monitor? And what do you do to protect them? Do you put them in a box or something?

Are there any other sites you know of with more info on the Hyper 64? Cheerz.

------------------
Prodo

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
There is a good way to explore the hyper64 world without taking the plunge, presuming you have a Playstation (who doesn't?) and you have not had the chance to see the hyper64 in action in your local arcade (who did?)...

There are Playstation releases of 2 hyper-type games, Fatal Fury Wild Ambition and Samuari Shodown Warriors' Rage, either of which should be relatively cheap through resale or auction. Wild Ambition is a port and Warriors' Rage is actually a standalone game. (I recommend Warriors' Rage because you cannot get that on the hyper64. Most Neo nuts hate it because they were expecting a home version of SS64 or SS64II lol!!!)

The PSX cannot equal the hyper64 experience, but the main theme of the SNK 3D games is there: enhanced graphics allow for new moves and super moves that would never be possible in 2D. Or as a friend put it when watching Samurai, "You die the bad death in that game!!!"
smile.gif
The gameplay, however, is never as good as 2D. I don't want to start a jihad with any 3D freaks out there, but even with the premiere 3D series such as Tekken, I never feel the raw power of 2D fighters such as KOF.

So if you go wild over the new 3D moves despite the inferior gameplay, you might want to invest in the hyper64. I did, but then again I am a bit of a NeoGeo freak so that probably doesn't count. I now switch the MVS with the hyper64 in the middle of the day and call it "cross-training."
wink.gif

---
"No disintegrations. Well, maybe just a few..."

K

KiddragoN7676

Do not i Repeat do not judge the hyper neo off the psx ports because they are nothing like them and for starters the samsho warriors rage on PSX is a follow up to the hyper one :P.ok on the hyper they did SamSho64 then after they did Samsho 64 warriors rage both these games rule and if u can get them both....the playstation one is warriors rage 2 and is nothing like the other 2 the grafix are bad its very very slow and all the characters suck!!!
as for fatal fury its ok on the psx it has the advantages of the FMV sequences (which rok) and its got Duck King and Ryo in it but compared to the hyper again the grafix pretty much suck compared to the super hi-res hyper and they even took supercombos and moves out of the psx one!!!So do not let these games sway your mind about having a hyper neo geo!!! if i was u get one its the smartest lookin piece of kit around!!!!

Laterz!!!

------------------
rickr2.gif

We Dragons Never Die Our Spirits Live On!!!

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Well yes, I did mention that the PSX comes nowhere near the hyper64. But if you like the PSX games, then the hyper64 will rock you. And even if you don't, then the added speed and flow on the hyper helps playability.

The bottom line is that the el-cheapo PSX ports are the only way to get a taste of hyper without either taking a (long distance) trip to a great arcade or sending your next paycheck overseas.

---
"No disintegrations. Well, maybe just a few..."

bwi

20 Year Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by prodo:
Thanks Bri!

This is really interesting. I thought that the Hyper 64 was a (games) console. So do you just hook them (Hyper 64's) up to a TV/monitor? And what do you do to protect them? Do you put them in a box or something?

Are there any other sites you know of with more info on the Hyper 64? Cheerz.

You do need a supergun to connect the hyper to your tv.

As to protecting it , well if you look at the pics on the website. The Hyper is all enclosed apart from a small portion underneath.

The only other site i knew of was Samuraispirits.com but that went down about 1-2 months ago.

I think it may be time to put the hyper on my homepage (if i ever finish it)
smile.gif

Bri

S

SUPERNAUT

I got mine last week from V.logic with 3 games and was very impresses. I'd played Fatal Fury Wild Ambition on the PS and though it was ok, but the Hyper Neo version for me was well worth the money. It's a very under-rated arcade system. In terms of 3D power it's somewhere around namco's system 12(I think, the one that did Tekken 3) board. What I REALLY would have liked to have seen was a complete 2D fighter on it as it 2D power is excellent. Anyway I think all the 3 fighting I bought was well worth the money.