Neo Geo 64

Lightning

n00b
Hello all,

I'm very new to the Neo Geo, and have a few questions for the experts

1.Do you recomend getting a Neo Geo 64 unit as it has 3D graphics.

2.If so is the unit Jamma compatable

3.If not what special equipment will I need to get it working

At the moment I have a Street Fighter 2 CE machine running a 1 slot MVS board(which I only got and fitted today!), and its fantasic. I'd like to thank those who helped me on that topic from the old message board and in the chat room on Sunday.

Thanks in advance

Lightning...

Mike

Bead Banger
Congrats on your MVS. How do you like it?
The Neo 64 is Jamma, but there are not very many titles. If you are looking for 3-D graphics ouput only, I have heard that it is not very impressive. However if you are a SNK Neo fan (of course you are) you can probably pick one up. Samurai Showdown 64 is the most promising game I have heard.

Lightning

n00b
Hi Mike,

Hell yeah, of course I'm a Neo Geo fan
smile.gif
I love the new system, just have to save up for some more carts(only have KOF97, WH2Jet and viewpoint at the mo).

You probably wont like this, but I do have 120 Neo Geo games on 2 cds that I have been playing on an emulator(NeorageX) for the past year. But I'm making up for that sin now and intend to get as many legit carts as possible
smile.gif

Once again thanks for the info and the link.

lightning...

Mouse_Master

Support your local Sheriff, ,
Staff member
Personal opinion, unless there is a game you like on the Hyper Neo Geo, it is not worth it. Also, earlier versions of the HNG or not toally JAMMA compliant.

Keith

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
Just to ask one more question on this topic. From what I understand, you can unplug your Neo MVS board from your cabinet and then just plug in a Neo 64 unit. Is this accurate? Are there any other wiring needs to make this conversion, or is it as simple as pull and plug? I have a 4 slot and I was thinking about getting a 64 to swap out every once in a while.

-RyoGeo

Mike

Bead Banger
The Hyper 64 itself is JAMMA but for some reason they decided to run the speakers through a seperate set of jacks at the front of the unit, so you have to have an external speaker wire in independent of the JAMMA harness to get sound. So if you just wanted to plug and play your not going to get any sound.

SmokeYa

Crossed Swords Squire
I purchased mine for $300 new (with Warrior's Rage). I've seen prices range from $300-$500.

I think $300 is a great price. I've seen many people pay >$300 for a single MVS cart. I think that Warrior's Rage is worth that amount alone. I've been a huge Samurai Shodown fan for a long time and I really love this game. It has incredible graphics and sound. It also has very cool and creative special moves. I can't get enough of it.

eazy

Cheng's Errand Boy
I love The Hyper Neo Geo 64 (i own about 200 Hyper Board) Japan board you can get rather cheap! about 300 to 350 for a complet set! (depanding on what game you want with it!) now the japan board can be switched to english! (but that does not make it a english system!!) the only way you can tell is the copy right screen at the begain of start-up and after games! I seen many people on e-bay tryening to sell there japan hypers in english mode as Usa ones (so watch out for that if you plan on putting it in the arcades)The truth is that The hyper Neo Geo 64 Did not do so Hot In the USA! And So for that Snk Of Japan Did Not MAke Many USA Hyper Neo Geo 64 (i belive that there where no more then 600 USA System ever made)I have almost every game for the hyper beside the ( Art Of Fighting 64 BETA!) I been Collectioning hyper Ever Since 1997 And Have A nice Collection

Last thing I want to make clear for those who want to buy a hyper Neo Geo 64. (do not buy version 1 of the system!!!) it does not have sound on jamma! Only the 1999 and above systems have sound on jamma!! the only currnent Bios for the hyper is 1997.7

If any one has any info on Art Of Fighting 64 Beta plase let me know at

Sgreen7255@aol.com

thanks

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
Well I just won A Hyper neo 64 on ebay. It is probably the older on since it is a new kit with the Samurai Showdown 64 board. I'm a big Shiki Fan also, to bad she never made it to the MVS system. However the older board is not to big of a deal for me since my cab has the RCA jacks for sound in it, I will just have to unplug the input from the harness and plug the hyper ones in. However my question is this

since it is a US system, will the hyper carts from other countries play in english like on the MVS system?

If I buy a Japanese Burki one and plug it in will it play in english.

just wondering. thanks.

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
The HyperNeo64 could have been great, but in reality you can only PLAY 4 games using the standar set up.

There are 3 more games (2 driving and one gun game) but those require special controllers.

The Hyper is good for 4 games and 2 are basically the same(SS and SS2).

Dion

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
I wonder how many unreleased games there are for the Hyper. I know of only 1 for sure game - Hyper Sidekicks.

Dion

SmokeYa

Crossed Swords Squire
Too bad you don't know how to bootleg Hyper64 games. There might have been some good profit in it.

eazy

Cheng's Errand Boy
hey dion are you sure about Hyper Sidekicks? (what was the game about? )i talked to tim Jackson form snk about 8 months ago and he told me Art Of fighting 64 was the only game that didnt make it! beside Warriors Rage 2 (witch was switch to the playstation early in it devolment!) WItch rell make me mad due to WARRIORS RAGE 2 Wold Have Been a AWESOME Hyper GAME!!!!!!!!!! Insted it was a sucky Playstation game! Man what worng with these people who said the Hyper Neo Geo 64 sucked!! Most of these people never even gave it a chance! Always complaning about the low polgon rate!(you people have no clue how much money i bring in form my arcade form the hyper neo geo 64!!!!!!!!) it that popular! I have 18 systems running in one location! And what creacks me up them most is that snk could have turned this system into something awsemone (but they didnt give it a chance!!!!!!!!!!!!) I been told Buriki one was there last game! (wait a min. hold up!) they thought the system was going to last with only 4 games!? It sound to me that SNK wanted this system to fail!!!!!!!

eazy

Cheng's Errand Boy
Hell ya dion!

you sould have did some boot-leg (hyper games!!!!!!!!!!!!!) I know i would have paid top dollar for Art Of Fighting 64!!! Or even for the driving I/O board and racing game!!!
man i love the 24-bit neo geo (but to tell you the truth i play my hyper more!) I love hyper! When i got it back in 1997 I thought this system would rule over the 24 bit one! (i still waiting on a King Of Fighter 64!!!) man what worng with SNK (giving up on all there system all the suddun!) frist the Neo cd then the hyper and I even herd they gave up on there hand held system! Man SNK Needs to get there stuff togather or there not going to be around to much longer (they alrady pissed me off! when they gave up on the hyper!) boy the people at SNK need there ass kicked! The hyper had such a great future!

KGenjuro

n00b
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dion:
The Hyper is good for 4 games and 2 are basically the same(SS and SS2).

nope, SS64 and SS64 II are two totally different games, both visual and gameplay wise...

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Agreed, they are more different than MVS Samurai Shodowns 3 and 4.

Samurai 64 is more stylish, more loud, more of a dogfighter. The sequel has better graphics and more moves, but is slower and less detailed and sometimes pushes the hardware. I like 2 better because of the deeper gameplay, but my friends like the action of 1. It is a lot like comparing MVS 4 to 3.

So the point is: don't write off 2, get them both!!!