Bankruptcy = Good Move for SNK

Yoshi

20 Year Member
I have been doing a fair amount of reading about the SNK bankruptcy filing. It appears that the ultimate result will be a good thing. If all goes according to the way SNK drew it up, they will emerge from the legal proceedings free of both debt and Aruze. Their request is to be split off on their own again to continue game development...

------------------
Help save the gaming industry. Boycott XBox.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
i must agree i beleive that this will have a good effect sepecially since there 38 billion yen in the hole.

jbeedham

yeah he did that, ,
Lets just hope SNK makes it through this most companies don't make it through bankruptcy....

If SNK wants to survive they should just do the Sega thing and start working on home games for the X-box and arcade games for the MVS and maybe the Naomi (would that sound like a logical successor to the MVS?).

C

Caris Nautilus

SNK was probobly in dept because they stayed in the 2-D game for so long, they never made the transition to 3-D fast enough, like capcom did. Which isn't bad, SNK has just always been a niche company ever since theearly 90's, since I think it was around 90-94 that they had their height of popularity in the USA, I think samurai 2 was their last blockbuster game here.

Their home system was just to expensive to ever catch on, or make them money. They probobly lost money selling it and the games. Design costs would outway selling a few thousand cart games I would think.

Most videogame companys are in dept anyways, unless they have megahits like square soft. I think capcom may even be in the red, and hell sega is the king of dept, but they are also the king of videogames...

J

jethrek

Capcom has the advantage of making 3D to support their 2D. SNK is great in 2D, but the only area where 2D is very popular is portable.

NGPC had an uphill battle there. Unseating the GBC was unlikely, and developers love the GBA so much that I think their best option would be to make GBA software (it could use more solid fighters still), but first they have to get themselves out from Aruze's grasp.

C

Caris Nautilus

SNK making GBA games would be awesome. But GBA has a real disadvantage when it comes to fighting games, it was a HUGE mistake to give GBA only 2 buttons, they should have given it 4, and a more swivel freindly d pad. The NGPC was PERFECT for fighters, the D pad was easy to manuever. But I can tell you the GBA would be annoying to play a fighter with, the d pad is not fighter freindly (Since I have one).

Anyways SNK could make some great GBA games like metal slugs ect.

J

jethrek

Gotta agree abou the buttons. The shoulders should help, but there should be four face buttons.

I kinda like the old-style d-pad, though I'll admit that it's not great for fighters I think it was good for side-scrollers. Still, used one like that since SNES so it doesn't bother me.

SinFull Void

Zero's Secretary
The Neo Geo Pocket is a major reason why they are in the hole. This does provide them with new choices but it'll be next to impossible for them to get any future loans.

S

Silent_Scope

I have my doubt that SNK will resurrect from the debt they have. Majority of their top programmers are gone so this is the main reason makes me worry about.
Just have "faith" on SNK.....that's it

------------------
Strength and Honor

Silent_Scope
"You have to defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance"

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
As long as they keep supporting the NGPC for another year or so I will be happy,a few more action games like Ikari Warriors,Magician Lord,Kof-r3