Any chance of a US Ikaruga release?

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
Not unless it's pirated. Too bad it won't be a US release. I really like to read the text in games. But hey, that's just me. I'm sure a lot of people just don't give a fuck.

Bluevoodu

Kyokugen's Student
I am tired of all the cool Japanese games out there..... that don't have English Language option.

Why can't they just be like the neo.... you get an English system... it plays in English.... or why can't they have an Enlgish language selection!

seems like the neo only had it together that way.

†B†V†

$hockwave

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
never will be a us realease we have not had a realese since march and that was first party only jap just like when the saturn was dying out in the us

10 in 2010

Originally posted by Bluevoodu:
<strong>I am tired of all the cool Japanese games out there..... that don't have English Language option.

Why can't they just be like the neo.... you get an English system... it plays in English.... or why can't they have an Enlgish language selection!

seems like the neo only had it together that way.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

hell yeah, imagine my dissapoint, i had KOF'96 for the saturn -100% english. i'd finished it with all the charcters and couldnt wait for the saturn port of '97 to see the concluding part of the orocho story

then the saturn version comes out, with no language option!!! 100% japanese. i haven't been as dissapointed in a long time.

oh, and there's no chance for a us release. even us in europe would laugh at the idea, and we got some games about a month ago!

$hockwave

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
i did not know that kof 96 had a english realese i know i have not seen it.is it a euro version only?

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
The chances of a US Dreamcast Ikaruga release are about as good as...there being a US Dreamcast Ikaruga release and everyone gets a copy for free, delivered to thier house by a stripper.

But...so what? It's a shooter! Is the language option THAT important?

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the menus and options WERE in English.

And also as a side note for those who don't know/haven't noticed Rez for the DC recognizes what console it is on and then displays the correct language.

Yet another reason why it's uber cool.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
YouwanHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhahahahahhahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... you... you.. HAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.!!!!!

you actualyy, BWAAAAaaaaa HAAaaaa aHAAAaaaaaa!

Ah....*huff* *puff* *chortle*

Phew, you actually thought there was a chance in hell this was coming to the US? Phew, that's a good one!

Spike

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
i think most people dont care so much about the language barrier so much as the fact that its a US release, and its just cool.

like how all the cool saturn games were supposed to make it to america and didnt. sure the games were still released and you can still play them, but it would have been just that much cooler to have them in US form.

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
I believe the expression is "When hell freezes over..." I don't see why no one wouldn't at least do a minimal release. All they have to do is take pre orders for it and make that many and maybe a couple of more. Obviously people still have DC's. I have yet to see more than one second hand one in a gaming store or Pawn Shop.

Devil_Gans

Bu, ,
There will be no US release,no chance.DC in the US is pretty much dead.The only way to get it is by importing.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I know shit about electronics but how does the BIOS thing work with the Neo? Is every language actually programmed into the game the BIOS just determines which one will be displayed? Or is the text written in some sort of code that is deciphered by the BIOS the displayed?

You would think that a universal system with a different BIOS capabable of playing any and all games would be heaven for both developers and platform owners alike. Something like that would mean less work for the developers (if the BIOS does all the work) which would mean more people on board for the platform owners. The consumers would also benefit drastically since literally every title would be available to every system owner. This probably wouldn't work if the developer had to translate the text within the game itself though.

As for Ikaruga, there will be a US release...when monkies fly outa my ass.

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
I have a theory that the bios in the neo does all the translating, which was written by the japanese developers, thats why we get some much engrish in neo games

evasyar

Genjuro's Frog,
hmmmppph... well the inquiry should be --> is this game ikaruga really is that good or its just hype. personally i am getting tired of the hype surrounding this game. is it because it was dev'd by treasure that's why there is so much hype? sheesh! :o

Talen

Leona's Therapis,
All the text is programmed into Neo games ahead of time. There is plenty of space in the program roms for all the languages and making some sort of logic system to translate (Why have one micro language it decrypted in to English, Japanese, Spanish and Portuguese? It would still have to be able to translate that data into multiple languages, it would really be the same as having it all in Japanese and translating it from there ) all that text would make the Neo bios incredibly huge and would have been inconceivable when the Neo was in development. Even with today's systems you would get a hell of a lot of Engrish if a game developer tried something like that (babelfish anyone?). And people bitch about poorly translated rpgs as it is. Ah well, I hijacked this thread enough, back to the main point.

The Dreamcast has been dead for a while in the US. The last release we got was NHL2k2. There is no hope in hell of a US Ikaruga. As several people pointed out; menus are often in English, especially in shooters.

Talen

Leona's Therapis,
Originally posted by evasyar:
<strong>hmmmppph... well the inquiry should be --> is this game ikaruga really is that good or its just hype. personally i am getting tired of the hype surrounding this game. is it because it was dev'd by treasure that's why there is so much hype? sheesh! :o </strong><hr></blockquote>

I feel the same way, I am a big Radiant Silvergun fan, but Treasure are not perfect. I think the real reason people are excited is because it's finally getting a release after being jerked around by NCS and Treasure regarding the release of the game. It's also the one last hurrah for the DC. It's probably going to be the last exclusive title for the DC anyone on these boards will order. Well, unless we have some dating sim fans here. ;)

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Originally posted by $hockwave:
<strong>i did not know that kof 96 had a english realese i know i have not seen it.is it a euro version only?</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, there was no euro release (KoF 95 is the only one), it's just that the Jap KoF 96 had an option to translate texts to English (most neo games and their ports have this option), but KoF 97 (jap only) didn't.

The neo doesn't have an automatic translator, when they make the MVS games they include the option for the game to be played in Jap, English, Spanish and Portuguese, because those are the best markets (Japan, USA and Southamerica, with Europe having to deal in English, or Spanish in Spain and Portuguese in Portugal). They just write all the sentences in the four languages in the game's roms. By the way, the Spanish translation is awful and really funny to read.

And returning to the topic, there's no way in hell Ikaruga will have a USA version IN DC
But if they do a PS2 version then it will be released in USA and Europe most likely.

[ July 26, 2002: Message edited by: Amano Jacu ]</p>

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
The most logical answer would be that the language is pre-translated and allocated in some sort of table, then as the BIOS runs the program it looks in the proper table, proper being the one it's assigned to.

If you think about it, it's really the only possibility, a translation program is incredibly out of the question because it's really unnecessary and impossible to plan.

The thing is, the 'text' isn't stored as 'text' itself, but instead the letters and characters are stored as sprites and, via the use of oversimplifaction for the purposes of explanation, then a sequence of corresponding numbers is stored in memory. So for a sentence of text all that is really used is a string of numbers that will display the sprites in a correct order.

Interestingly enough, that's part of the reason you have such bad translations sometimes in older games. The thing is those memory spaces are allocated when the program is written and by themselves can't hold more information than designed.

With Japanese, you have Katakana, Hiragana and Kanji, symbols stored just like letters as sprites, only in fair percentage of instances you can convey a word or sentance with much fewer characters than you can in English, Spanish, Portugese, Russian...whatever.

So if you wanted to say the word "Sushi" in a game, if you used the Japanese alphabet you'd need 2 sprites, 'Su' and 'Shi'. If you wanted to do it in English you'd need 5 characters and therefore 5 sprites.

This is how some difficult arises, the Japanese programers only left space for 2 sprites and the US converters need space for 5, so they'd have to do creative things like compression and re-allocation.

Sometimes it goes the other way, to say "I" in Japanese you need at least 3 sprites (maybe more depending on it's usage because you may need additional words to convey a sentance).

And if you think about it "I" is used more often than "Sushi" :) , but still this is part of the difficult in localization, or at least it was in the day.

Thanks for listening ;) .

The entire section enclosed in ***** is simply what I gather and remember from my modest investigation into ASM and Machinecode programing for games, I could be totally off...if I am and someone corrects me, please...be gentle, I mean well :)