Mark of the Wolves home cart value going down?

chainsawyak

Raiden's Valet
Hey there people. After hearing that Mark of the Wolves will be coming out for Dreamcast, I couldn't help but think about the home cart value plummeting. I mean, the only reason I really have it around is for a collector's item, I would have the MVS cart if I just wanted the game. What do people think could happen to the value of the Japanese home cart? Please don't give me that "it should be about the game, not the value" because $500 is a serious invesment on a game, and if it's going to plummet in value, than I should sell it off before the DC release... I dunno. I'm hoping it'll be a lackluster port or something, they always are, right? Did anything happen to the value of Last Blade 2 when it came out for DC? Just worried about my investment, that's all....

------------------
~~Thanks
Çhâïñ§åw ¥àK
Tempest X000!!!
My Game Trading Zone Page

"A moment of realization is worth a thousand prayers."

Yoshi

20 Year Member
chainsawyak:

Think about it. The market for the AES MotW and the DC MotW port are almost mutually exclusive. Anyone looking for a cheap way to play MotW would have the MVS cart. Anyone with the AES cart is likely a collector who would not give a damn about the Dreamcast port. Your $500 is pretty safe IMNSHO.

------------------
yoshidown.gif

Help save the gaming industry. Boycott XBox.

[This message has been edited by Yoshi (edited March 30, 2001).]

S

Silent_Scope

I have different thought:

DC console ($99 or $119 for Smash Pack) + MOTW (import, around $54) = $173 (shipping around $5) so total will be $178.
DC version of LB 2 shows flawless in graphics, control and there is no loading time. I would rather spend portion of my $500 on DC version instead.
It's true that for true Neo owner to have AES or MVS cart version but for new comer or player who doesn't have that kinda money I'd prefer them to get DC instead.

------------------
Strength and Honor

Silent_Scope
"You have to defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance"

J

j.pusczek

I would have to agree with Silent too on this topic. Gamers that are gonna hear how good this game is would rather pay 60 bucks for a new game, than run out and buy a 300 dollar system and 500 dollar game, and perhaps never play it again.

------------------
ng_neogeoball.gif

I don't think that the value of MotW will change mutch, if anything it could bring it up. It could potentially, get more people interested in the Neo and thus they will go out and but the system and the original game. Thus increasing demand further and supply remains the same. This would most likely in turn raise the value of the cart version.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by samuraiX:
I don't think that the value of MotW will change mutch, if anything it could bring it up. It could potentially, get more people interested in the Neo and thus they will go out and but the system and the original game. Thus increasing demand further and supply remains the same. This would most likely in turn raise the value of the cart version.

exactly

------------------
30870443.jpg

Ukyo

20 Year Member
The value of the SNES Ogre Battle Cart dropped really fast after it was released for PSX...
frown.gif

------------------
Hideo Kojima...I love you:)

That was on SNES. MotW can be found on MVS but at a more reasonable price. Why don't people who want it just buy it on MVS? It is not the same, it is not an official home cart version. According to that theory the price of the AES version should drop due to the fact that a MVS version is much more avaliable. But that is not the way it is, rather the AES version continues to rise, as it will most likely continue to do.

S

Silent_Scope

hahahahhaha......
(I'm laughing at SNES Orge Battle)
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I'll sell my SNES version to get PS instead. Remember battery inside cartridge will die one day and you don't want to cry out loud when you find out all your data is gone.
If I have MOTW right now, I'll sell it for sure and wait DC version. By the same time I'll grab GBA with three games now.

------------------
Strength and Honor

Silent_Scope

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
I also agree w/ Silent Scope. It will probably go down, but how much depends on lot of factors, such as limited press, etc. I don't really care. I basically got it to play, and not as an investment. I will, of course, get the Dc version as well.

This happens if you are getting it as an investment, and it's a gamble. Get it for fun, and you don't have to really worry about this kind of issue, should it arise.

------------------
ffmw_terry.gif

"Come on, get serious!"

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Very true MTB! Espically with newer titles, the chance of them decreasing in value is higher once a decent port is available. But I dont recall Last Blade 2 suffering any price drop though. Only time will tell...

------------------
"I read your moves like the funny papers"

N-T-M

neoboy259

n00b
Hey guys! Where'd you hear that Garou: MOTW was coming out on Dreamcast? Anyone gotta a link??

I think its great that SNK are porting games over to DC. I got into the Neo scene via KOF 98 on DC......(not the best way to introduce someone to the Neo, I know........)

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
Price going down? Aaah, I don't think so. Different system, different game, in my opinion. Anyone who wants a MOTW home cart for Neo Geo...is still going to want a MOTW for Neo Geo! I don't think this will affect the price one way or the other. And, with the recent sale of a Japanese MOTW for $699.99 on eBay (looks like the French guy finally got a bite)

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1221465506

...I don't think the value on my English MOTW cart is going anywhere but up!

[This message has been edited by TMOSteel (edited March 30, 2001).]

outsider

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Many of you seem to be forgetting or ignoring the fact that MoTW exsists in two versions as we speak.

Joe Blow wants MoTW and has an AES console.

Hey look, MoTW AES cart costs about $600. WAIT. Heres the MVS version, $110.

What to do? Well assuming Joe dosent have an MVS convertor, he can either shell out $600+ for the AES version or pickup Arcade's convertor for $399 + $110 for MoTW MVS. That comes out to about $509 and gives him a world of other MVS games to play too.

This is the current situtation. YET, people still want the AES version. Why? Its a collectors item of sorts. Just like Metal Slug is $50 on MVS and $1000 on AES, this with ports also being avaliable for the Saturn, Neo CD and even PSX(being the worst of the three)

The AES version will be worth more. Dont expect a price drop anytime soon.

Also, in case anyone brings it up, yes the DC version will be closer to perfection than the other Neo ports on other machines have been before, but still, it wont be able to match the whole AES package.

Will I buy the DC version? Of course, maybe even two
wink.gif

NeoGML

Fighting Artist
well, People (myself included) like to have that fresh new home cartridge, they love to insert it into their AES's with pride. It's also just So cool to have it, plus, it's official by SNK, and it won't have the possibility of being a bootleg. You also get the best kind of case a game has ever been invited into, a great little manual, and a phat looking game. Honestly, i wouldn't pay that much more for a sticker, case, and insert, but it just isn't the same. I'm not a collector at all, in any means, but it just needs to be official. No fakes for me.

By the way, i'm praying for the MOTW cart to go down. PLEASE!~ PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!!!

------------------
-=NeoGML=-

I agree with Fran, outsider, and NeoGML, people will always be looking for the authentic original, even if a port is perfect or near perfect both collectors and players like to have the original, even if it does cost more. I too would like the price of MotW to go down but I don't expect it to even with a DC port.

Sol Badguy

n00b
Look, does the price really matter?

I'm sceptical about games as an investment.

Even if someone is a collector (nothing against them), he should choose wisely. Of course, I have to admit, a special edition with gimmicks and a stylish package makes the game even more enjoyable (even for me), of course!! What would you say if, for example, the home cart Garou woul've come out with a professional made, maybe carefully handpainted figure of Terry or Rock? Or that a coupon for a Rock Howard Jacket (at least it would be a practical thing) would be included?

Now, don't get we wrong. I resume: I have nothing contra the collectors. I mean, in my opinion, there should be two versions of games: One in a normal package, on a widespread system at a reasonable price available for all gamers and the other ones in a special package (box) with gimmicks in limited edition, with new game addictions (new and special characters, levels..) with the higher price for collectors.

So no one of the collectors has to fear a dropdown of the game's price, in my opinion that is.

I await you comments.

Sol:
The price doesn't matter, the game is considered a collectors item now(for the elite videogamer) for most people. People may not want to admit it but the game is a collectors item, granted it is considered one of the greatest 2D fighting games ever made, it still is due to its limited release and high demand.
Anyone who considers video games an investment is somewhat right. However it is not a very good investment(it isn't safe). Prices go up and down randomly and most new games you buy lose their value the day you take them out of the store.

SinFull Void

Zero's Secretary
All This means is that those people whome where to cheap to buy the Home cart can buy the Dreamcast version for $60 while they can get it free on an emulator (hell, it'll most likely look better on a computer anyway).

S

Silent_Scope

I don't want to talk about gamer and collector issue coz it'll create some argument. To me, it doesn't matter if it's AES, CD, MVS or multi-platform ports as long as it's legal and SNK authorizes the right.

Keep in mind that not everyone has extra $$ to spend on $600 - $1100 MOTW or Metal Slug cart. Many gamers are either high school students or in their early 20s. Do you expect those ppl to get expensive neo cart? No way. I do introduce Neo AES to many ppl including my close friends but the price will scare them away. I do admit that clamp case, manuel, big cart size and other things will make you proud of owning Neo game but how about DC/PS conversion? For example, DC KOF 99E has pretty manuel, maybe so-called cheap CD jewlry case, less-than-50-cents CD, but it's SNK game, right?
What's wrong with those DC port SNK games? They are better than PS version and it's even better than Neo CD!

I feel happy when SNK will port MOTW to DC coz many gamers will have chance to play this ridiculous-high-price game.
I think it's fair enough to pay at $60 to own that game instead of $600 or above price range

------------------
Strength and Honor

Silent_Scope

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I would call myself a collector first and foremost, but I would never spend that much for MOTW or any home cart game. But the other side of me is the gamer. I do have MOTW on MVS along with other carts that I cant live without and that I dont mind on not having the case and such. I am very happy that MOTW is coming to DC, I cant wait to add it to my SNK-DC collection. With the past releases, I'm sure they will add some cool extras that will please the SNK fans. I dont think it's a matter of cheapness to get the port, but just prefrence. I think that people who want the game and either cant spend the 600+ for the home or dont have the MVS hardware, will find this a comforting solution. If the home cart doesnt come down, the MVS might. It's hard to be both a Neo gamer and collector, too many decisions.

------------------
"I read your moves like the funny papers"

N-T-M

SinFull Void

Zero's Secretary
I know that there are some people who can't afford $600 for a cart. We call them poor!

HHHHahhhahhaaaaaa!!!
I'm just kidding. On a serios note I didn't like Last Blade 2 on Dreamcast. The graphics were too pixelated and the videos where compressed so much that the colors did not blend, Kind of like the videos on the Sega CD. It was a bad conversion and far from perfect!!!

SinFull Void

Zero's Secretary
A conversion I really loved was KOF99 Evolution. New stages, more characters and serios 3d design made it better than the cart (well, I liked it more). Only problem was it was a tiny, bit grainy but hell, I could get over that!

Silent_Scope:
A lot of these younger gamers do have the money to spend on games like that actually. There are quite a few that can't but many can. Just look at all of the people who dump thousands of dollars into stereo or car equipment. Most of the people I see who are into game collecting or cars for that matter are ones that are under 23 years old. These are the people with less resposablities and bills to pay.
Granted that many people are not willing to dump such a huge investment into one game there still are many people old and young that are willing to do it.

S

Silent_Scope

If many youngsters have that kinda money then I'm speechless. It's true that I did spend a lot of money into video game when I was young. Right now I'm reaching my late 20s and I will spend those money to something important like car (not sports car, but mid size import), house, leisure time activity (traveling), and so on.
$600 on one game is crazy for me now. KOF 2K is my most expensive cart ($337 including shipping) then that's enough for me.

------------------
Strength and Honor

Silent_Scope