Hidden Characters?

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
Trieu says so

<a href="http://www.snk-capcom.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=313" target="_blank">http://www.snk-capcom.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=313</a>

<small>[ May 15, 2003, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: SPINMASTER X ]</small>

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
SPINMASTER X:
Trieu says so

<a href="http://www.snk-capcom.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=313" target="_blank">http://www.snk-capcom.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=313</a>
He says he 'believes' there will be 4? As in it's unconfirmed...

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
I know, i didn't say "there will be", thats why I had a question mark after "hidden characters".

Earthquake

SouthTown StreetSweeper
I just hope to God that if there are hidden fighters, Zangief is one of them. Besides, it wouldn't make any since to leave out the greatest fighting game grappler of all time. This way, everyone will see what the most powerful move in the history of 2D fighters is all about.

Giby

Disciple Of Orochi
Earthquake:
I just hope to God that if there are hidden fighters, Zangief is one of them. Besides, it wouldn't make any since to leave out the greatest fighting game grappler of all time. This way, everyone will see what the most powerful move in the history of 2D fighters is all about.
If your talking about the greatest fighting game grappler you must mean Clark. He has to be in the game if they put the greatest fighting game grappler. And one of those seceret characters better be Geese.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
If its bullshit like Blood Riot Iori, Evil Ryu, Shin Akuma, or Kyo '95, I'm going to be majorly pissed.

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
Hell, it wouldn't be a proper fighting game if it didn't have at least one unlockable character.

snkool

Camel Slug
tsukaesugi:
Hell, it wouldn't be a proper fighting game if it didn't have at least one unlockable character.
It would also up the replay and novelty value if the unlockable characters were non-fighting game characters (but not MegaMan).

simon

Zero's Secretary
What's the point of putting "hidden" characters ni an arcade game ?

How is the casual arcade player supposed to know that "you can play with character X or Y by entering a special cheat code that you need to find on GameFaqs first", before going to the arcade ?

When the game will be released, I'm sure we're gonna hear that everywhere :
-"What, only 22 characters in SvC ?!?"
-"Yeah, but in fact that's because half of the cast is hidden so shut up and quit bashing that game"

It's a fucking arcade Vs. Fighting game, it takes time to adapt each character correctly so make them available at the selection screen from the begining.

There's no need to make :
-SvC Chaos
-SvC Chaos Dash
-SvC Chaos Turbo
-Super SvC Chaos
The first on must be the perfect one, plain and simple.

Plenty of hidden references to the SNK/Capcom universe in backgrounds or elsewhere in the game would be neat BTW ( like the strikers in KOF 2000 for example ).

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
How can you have hidden characters in a game with a public beta test?

bokmeow

Simon:
What's the point of putting "hidden" characters ni an arcade game ?

How is the casual arcade player supposed to know that "you can play with character X or Y by entering a special cheat code that you need to find on GameFaqs first", before going to the arcade ?

When the game will be released, I'm sure we're gonna hear that everywhere :
-"What, only 22 characters in SvC ?!?"
-"Yeah, but in fact that's because half of the cast is hidden so shut up and quit bashing that game"

It's a fucking arcade Vs. Fighting game, it takes time to adapt each character correctly so make them available at the selection screen from the begining.

There's no need to make :
-SvC Chaos
-SvC Chaos Dash
-SvC Chaos Turbo
-Super SvC Chaos
The first on must be the perfect one, plain and simple.

Plenty of hidden references to the SNK/Capcom universe in backgrounds or elsewhere in the game would be neat BTW ( like the strikers in KOF 2000 for example ).
Hidden characters invites people to play the game, simple as that. Most of the times they use time release as a way to keep people putting in the quarters while training. SNK does keep the way you unlock the characters fairly simple, with just the joystick motions. Do you remember how smegging difficult it was to unlock Akuma on X-Men Children of the Atom? place cursor over this character, 3 seconds then next one, 3 seconds, over like frigging six characters!!!

I might add the company that puts all the revisions into its game is Capcom, not SNK.

Street Fighter III
Street Fighter III 2nd strike

X-Men Children of the Atom
X-Men Children of the Atom v. 1.5

Street Fighter II
Street Fighter II Champion Edition
Street Fighter II The World Fighters
Street Fighter II Turbo
Street Fighter II X

Spectre

Banned
bokmeow:
Street Fighter III
Street Fighter III 2nd strike

X-Men Children of the Atom
X-Men Children of the Atom v. 1.5

Street Fighter II
Street Fighter II Champion Edition
Street Fighter II The World Fighters
Street Fighter II Turbo
Street Fighter II X
Heh, your point would be better made if you actually new the proper titles you're talking about. Street Fighter III 2nd strike? Street Fighter II The World Fighters? You mean;

Street Fighter II: The World Warrior
Street Fighter II': Champion Edition
Street Fighter II': Hyper Fighting

Street Fighter III
Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact Giant Attack
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike

One could always argue that SNK/Playmore are actually worse. Seven Fatal Fury episodes. Nine King of Fighters to date. I rest my case.

simon

Zero's Secretary
I mostly remember Street Fighter III : Second Impact ~The Giant Attack~ :

- 5% of players knew the Gouki code ( and played with Gouki all the time )

- 95% of the other 'average' arcade players never knew that Gouki was in the game from the begining.

- 0% of operators unloked Gouki once and for all.

Same for Marvel vs. Capcom, most people who had no access to GameFaqs didn't know how you could play with Ken and Gouki by selecting Ryu. And of course they've never heard of Orange Hulk, Black ChunLi, Red Venom, Gold WarMachine... either.

bokmeow

Gouki available as a secret character in every Capcom fighting game = dumbest gag evar. If they made even the slightest effort to change him up a little bit that would be great, kind of like how Ryo loses his travelling fireball, gains parries, that kind of stuff. But no, Gouki has the same damn moves in every game.