Operation Snap Lock Case

waku7

Dodgeball Yakuza
Hi.
I would like to know if something is possible.
I would like to know if people are interested, for make a demand to snk to produce TEMPLATE new snap lock cases....
I mean, i don't know ANY collector, who is not interested for buying some.

If i could, i would buy...10/20 snap lock case.

We have the market to produce 500ex games, i think it is possible to make 1000 snap lock case only...

No?

Just my thoughts.
thanks for looking, and sorry for my bad english...

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
I think this is a great idea, I too would buy 10/20 new snap lock cases.

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
This came up before and it was shot down pretty quick. I forget why though...too easy to help flood the market with fraud carts?

<small>[ April 29, 2003, 06:52 AM: Message edited by: Kid Aphex ]</small>

waku7

Dodgeball Yakuza
Kid A:
Maybe the guys that convert some shitty games with games like kof95/96/97,fatal fury 3, can convert games like shock troopers, with a good samurai shodown 2 jap(20000000000000000 releases), and buy a snap lock case.

I don't want to ruin the market with fake carts, i want new snaplock cases for my games :)

Cole

Kin Cle, ,
waku7:
Kid A:
Maybe the guys that convert some shitty games with games like kof95/96/97,fatal fury 3, can convert games like shock troopers, with a good samurai shodown 2 jap(20000000000000000 releases), and buy a snap lock case.

I don't want to ruin the market with fake carts, i want new snaplock cases for my games :)
This subject has been brought up several times. It seems like lots of people would love to replace those old style cases with snap lock cases. I can't personally agree because I like both styles of cases. But I can see why some would want that.

However, if I remember correctly from the last time this was brought up.. Playmore's stance on this was it would open up a whole new market of fake carts. Allowing people, as you said, to produce more and more conversions for even less. I can't remember all the specifics, but I believe it had more to do with the new releases than anything else. (makes sense..)

Imagine the AES market turning into a mirrored MVS market. Having to worry about if your new Metal Slug 5 or SvC Chaos is a boot or not is not a pretty thought.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
the whole bootleg excuse doesn't really do it for me. I would love to see some more snap lock cases made. I would pick up a least 25 of them garaunteed.
playmore also needs to make new home cart system replacement shells as well.

Snooptalian

Hairdresser, ,
I don't see any reason why Playmore can't distribute empty snap cases, maybe even exclusive to the Neo Store. It's not like it's any big deal or anything, they probably have a stockpile of them just sitting around somewhere now, and if they don't, they could have them made in a minute. I'd buy 25 or 30 for sure.

8 1/2

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I think that anyone who has ever bought a new cart deserves an extra case. Every time I unlock Metal Slug 3 or Blazing Star, I cringe a little bit at the thought of that tab coming off. If one of my games' cases ever did break, I know I'd wind up buying some cheap game that had a mint case just to cannibalize the packaging. I want to protect my investment (which has in 6 months already cost me more than $1000 just in carts).

Hell, they could put a little X or something in the middle of the big SNK so you'd know that it was an empty. Then collectors could be sure they were getting originals by looking for the little X. No X = original. Simple.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
Hell, they could put a little X or something in the middle of the big SNK so you'd know that it was an empty. Then collectors could be sure they were getting originals by looking for the little X. No X = original. Simple. [/QB]
Hell No! no more of that crap. just make them the same as they always have been. if anything nix the big snk logo on the back of the case for good as it is NOTHING more that a problem.

Neo Mike

Creative Moderator, Art Gallery Coordinator,
20 Year Member
I wish it would, but it won't ever happen.

Makismo started a petition last year for this same quest, and nothing came of it, and nothing ever will.

Playmore has no interest in aiding bootleggers or distributing authentic materials to aid counterfeiters. Basically competing w/ themselves...

SNK/Playmore are still using existing cases from previous AES releases, and still havent had to create any new ones. The cases themselves are very expensive to produce, and offering them by themselves wouldnt make sense from a pricing perspective. The other parts of the package(game itself, the insert, the manual, etc) offset the cost -- thus making it worthwhile.

Your best bet would be to find someone selling them on the forum or on ebay. I happened to get lucky about a year ago and got a couple extra :) buttrock

<small>[ April 29, 2003, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: Neo Mike ]</small>

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
Problem could be fixed easy by just putting the playmore name on the case instead of SNK

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Playmore won't do it - period.

It doesn't matter how many snap-locks you offer to buy, they are construed as a component of the overal game and playmore will not sell or distribute 'components' to any third party.

Retaliator

Armored Scrum Object
Those of you willing to buy more than 2 dozens or so of xtra snaplocks - what did you do to the original ones? I think this is a bit strange. As a collector myself I do not need a single snap lock case. All 37 I have are in mint condition because I took care of them. And replacing old style cases with snaplocks does not make sense as well because the old-style inserts do not fit snaplock cases.

And if you just want a snaplock conversion then you better pay out of your ass for one - destroying originals shall hurt :D

<small>[ April 29, 2003, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: Retaliator ]</small>

waku7

Dodgeball Yakuza
Those of you willing to buy more than 2 dozens or so of xtra snaplocks - what did you do to the original ones?

====>If the originals are not in great condition, they go to the trash.

I think this is a bit strange. As a collector myself I do not need a single snap lock case. All 37 I have are in mint condition because I took care of them.

=====> Great.
I own some games, with bad snap lock case, in bad condition.
I don't have the right to buy one another to ameliorate my game?
I take care of my games, but some i buy don't have a great box.
It is simple.
Do you think all guys who want snap lock cases are vandals, and plays soccer with their games?

And replacing old style cases with snaplocks does not make sense as well because the old-style inserts do not fit snaplock cases.

=====> No comment lol

And if you just want a snaplock conversion then you better pay out of your ass for one - destroying originals shall hurt

=====> I don't have any conversion...

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
8 1/2:
I think that anyone who has ever bought a new cart deserves an extra case. Every time I unlock Metal Slug 3 or Blazing Star, I cringe a little bit at the thought of that tab coming off. If one of my games' cases ever did break, I know I'd wind up buying some cheap game that had a mint case just to cannibalize the packaging. I want to protect my investment (which has in 6 months already cost me more than $1000 just in carts).

Hell, they could put a little X or something in the middle of the big SNK so you'd know that it was an empty. Then collectors could be sure they were getting originals by looking for the little X. No X = original. Simple.
Dude. Remove your carts from the rest of the package(Insert,case,manual) and store away in a safe area away from sunlight then place your cart in a plastic baggie and a small USPS priority box if you are afraid of damaging the most impirtant parts make sure it;s a surface that won't scratch the cart you store your cart in.and leave it lying around in your gaming area.
Playmore would never open up this can of worms plus a third party looked into having these produced and the cost was sooo astronomical they could never break even on the project unless they charged 50.00 per case. Are you willing to pay 50.00 per case?? _____ NO.
I just want good games and Playmore has yet to fill those BIG shoes SNK has left behind.

-BB

<small>[ April 29, 2003, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: BIG BEAR ]</small>

I'm all for the release of new snap lock cases. And with the way Shawn was able to get the meg count put back on the US home cart release of Matrimele, I see something like this being very possible.

Perhaps Shawn could host another poll to see who would be willing to purchase snap lock cases to show Playmore that there is a demand for them.

Just my $0.02

Criterionradiohead wink

Cole

Kin Cle, ,
Criterionradiohead:
I'm all for the release of new snap lock cases. And with the way Shawn was able to get the meg count put back on the US home cart release of Matrimele, I see something like this being very possible.

Perhaps Shawn could host another poll to see who would be willing to purchase snap lock cases to show Playmore that there is a demand for them.

Just my $0.02

Criterionradiohead wink
To have a poll for who would buy snap lock cases who almost certainly be pointless. For Shawn to say 'us buyers want classic style inserts back' is one thing because it's so simple but to produce thousands of new snap lock cases? The cost, as Big Bear said, would be ridiculously high.

Personally, I think anyone here saying that they will buy dozens of cases if Playmore makes more is either full of it or they are not really taking the cost into account.

Who really needs that many snap locks any ways? The only thing I can think of besides used for conversions is that if you want that amount you want to put old style games in new style cases. No one can possibly have that many bad snap locks, they are very durable. But back to the idea of putting old style games in new style cses.. The inserts in old style cases are about an inch wider, so you'd either have to cut them or bend them both effectively destroying value. Reprinted inserts will probably never look quite as good either, unless you go to a print shop which isn't cheap.

Market value for a snap lock case in good condition is something like $40-50 bucks, possibly even more if it's mint and someone is really hurting to get one. I wouldn't expect a new run to be much cheaper than that. That is, if it is even cheaper than that at all. oh_no

So in conclusion, not only is it doubtful that this will ever happen. But, ironic as it is to say this because this is neo geo we're talking here.. It's just plain not cost effective for anyone involved.

Not to mention, it would GREATLY aid counterfeiters. I think we can all agree we don't want that. :)

TriShield

Host for Orochi
I would buy snap lock cases.

I would convert all my old games to the new style cases, and replace my tattered snap locks with new ones.

Give the people snap locks Playmore!

chainsawyak

Raiden's Valet
Tehcno:
Problem could be fixed easy by just putting the playmore name on the case instead of SNK
People seem to have skipped over this perfectly legitimate response.

It's just a plastic case people, of course it could be made. They could do whatever they wanted, it wouldn't be that expensive and slight changes made to the case would completely dispel any worries of bootleggers...

Didn't SNK USA at one point sell the snaplock cases? I seem to remember them offering them at some point, but I could just be making them up.

I would definitely be interested in a snaplock case, and I'd be willing to bet that enough people exist to make it a profitable venture. I don't care how careful you are with your carts, those hinges are so flimsy that even from the smallest height if they are knocked off a table or something and hit the ground at the right angle, they will break off. I know because it happened to me, and it could happen to you too. No one is immune.

It's a freaking plastic case so of course new ones could be made. But they never will be because Playmore sucks at life. So as it stands the easiest and cheapest way to get a snaplock guaranteed is a Fatal Fury 3.

Maybe they should design a new case? One that doesn't suck perhaps? That would be pretty sweet.

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
If you really want the snap lock case, my suggestion is getting KOF 95/96 and Samurai 3 from one of the Japanese sellers on eBay, each game can be had for less than $70, many of the stores in Japan would love to clear those games out. You can switch the case and resell the games with not so perfect case cheap.

There're now surplus of the aforementioned titles in Japan and each production run of cases requires at least tens of thousands to justify the cost, so adding the totals of the demand here don't even come close. Back in later 90s SNK USA was selling cases (both new and old styles), later they restricted to 5 per person, apparently someone was buying way too many.

Or, how about buying Sengoku 3 from Neostore?

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
vincewy:
Back in later 90s SNK USA was selling cases (both new and old styles), later they restricted to 5 per person, apparently someone was buying way too many.
Any guesses??

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I do believe (and if someone wants to trawl through the archieves to confirm this) that Shawn has already approached Playmore about stocking snap-locks and they rebuffed him.
Same reason that they gave me and will give you if you email and asj them.

If think vincewy's idea is excellent. Buy a mint copy of the older snap-lock games and swap your boxes around. At least this way you'll recoup at least 50% of the your costs involved in procurring the case.

Herzog Drei

Ace Ghost Pilot
THAT again...
...Makismo already tried to get a petition up and running for new cases back in July 2002! oh_no

(SEARCH FUNCTION!!) smirk

The outcome of this:
Playmore sells SOFTWARE and doesn't bother about selling cases,and Shawn tried to get them before without any results and doesn't wont to be bothered again with this-even back in 2002!

I remember that !Arcade! once tried to produce a run of old and new-style cases themselves,but neither demand nor cost-efficiency were meeting their expectations,so i guess that's it. :rolleyes: