KOF 98 for Saturn

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
Hi. I was told that KOF for 98 was released (in limited quanties) for the Saturn-I thought it was only up to 97. Any news regarding this? Do you guys own a copy?

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
I've come across a lot of ports I hadn't a clue of beforehand, but never of KoF '98 for Saturn. Thanks for posting this though, since at least now I can keep an eye out for anything related to it, should it exist. The Slugfest did make it to PS & DC, that's all I know so far.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
I'm afraid you got some wrong info there. KOF 98 never came out for Saturn, the last one was KOF 97.

Now here's a question: Did Samurai 1 or 2 come out for Saturn? I have 3 and 4, they both came out separately and in a two-CD set, but I've never seen 1 or 2 for Saturn anywhere. I think they came out as a "fencing pack" for the PSX (ugh), but not for Saturn at all.

Jackal

SouthTown StreetSweeper
The Fencing pack never came out on Saturn. A real shame, as it would have been nice to see the whole tetralogy offered in one pack.
KOF'98 was never on the Saturn- but IMO, the port of 97 suffered a bit. Given that SNK used only the 1M RAM cart on Saturn, the KOF'98 port could have faced terrible cuts.

Wait 'til you see Billy Kane say "I wish I could tear him apart" while you cannot HEAR it. That looks lame. KOF'97 should have used the 4M RAM cart. KOF'96 has some flaws on Saturn (some voice samples drop out occasionally, and the game will crash if you beat it with an edit team).

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Given some of the ports the Saturn had, even of shit games like Fighter's History Dynamite, it's surprising to see all the games that didn't make the journey. The Dreamcast came out in third or fourth quarter '98 in Japan, right? So I guess that could explain the lack of some titles on the Saturn.

[This message has been edited by Neo Bomber Man (edited November 01, 2000).]

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
That's what I thought as well. The one who said that KOF 98 for Sat existed was a buyer who won an auction from me on ebay-he said that he worked at an import store, and some guy told him that. Jackel is right-the SS fencing pack was never released for the Sat. PS version sucked. it's loading time is horrendous (SS 1 was fairly decent, though). I have to admit that it's graphic is gorgeous. It might be even better than the Neo Geo version itself-if you can believe it
smile.gif
KOF 97 for Sat was good, but they could have it done it alot w/ a 4MB cart. KOF 96 port was much better. World Heroes perfect was translated fairly well as well.

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
Forgot to mention that KOF 96 for Sat is the only KOF Sat series to have Eng as a language as an option.

outsider

Benimaru's Hairdresser
KoF98 never for saturn. I never did get to try that fencing pack though... a shame

JRock917

, ,
Its a shame SNK did not use the 4MB RAM cart for KOF 97, I imagine the Saturn would have been able to run the game just fine had the right amount of RAM been used. One thing about the Saturn, and the Dreamcast for that matter, they both are quite adept at running 2D fighters.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Then tell him to prove it. If KOF 98 existed for the Saturn, there would be evidence somewhere on the internet. But since it doesn't, he won't be able to provide proof. Then maybe he'll drop that bogus story.

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
Yeah. But I am not going to do it. It's not worth my time or effort to prove a point to the guy. He even e-mailed me and said that he tried but can't leave a positive feedback for me-he doesn't know why it doesn't work. I really don't mind, but the guy has like 7 feedbacks already-he should know how. Anyways, it was a good transaction overall-we were both happy w/ the trascation- so I have no complaint
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Master Terry Bogard (edited November 08, 2000).]

C

Caris Nautilus

Originally posted by Master Terry Bogard:
Hi. I was told that KOF for 98 was released (in limited quanties) for the Saturn-I thought it was only up to 97. Any news regarding this? Do you guys own a copy?

I think this is just a rumor, Highley unlikely.

I heard the same thing from people that said a few copy's of RE 2 for saturn made it out in japan somehow, Pure Rumor...

C

Caris Nautilus

Originally posted by Jackal:
The Fencing pack never came out on Saturn. A real shame, as it would have been nice to see the whole tetralogy offered in one pack.
KOF'98 was never on the Saturn- but IMO, the port of 97 suffered a bit. Given that SNK used only the 1M RAM cart on Saturn, the KOF'98 port could have faced terrible cuts.

Wait 'til you see Billy Kane say "I wish I could tear him apart" while you cannot HEAR it. That looks lame. KOF'97 should have used the 4M RAM cart. KOF'96 has some flaws on Saturn (some voice samples drop out occasionally, and the game will crash if you beat it with an edit team).

yea, There's NO reason SNK couldnt have done a perfect port, If they used the 4 meg. X men vs SF and MSH vs SF were perfect and much more intense and harder to do than KOF 97'.

KOF 97' on saturn is my only way to play the game, Same with Samurai 4.

Mabye a samurai collection on DC would be good, With no slowdown during the slash combo's...