Has anyone ever heard about the CPS changer console?

Bad Mofo

Neo Geo Cup '98
It's supposed to be something like the Neo, I was told. It was a CPS1 system, but then for home use. It even had a version of Street Fighter Zero! Does anyone know if these are still available over the Net??
I know that this is a Neo site, but I am just curious!

HPMAN

UI resident
To my knowledge, the CPS changer doesn't exists in console version, this is only available as a jamma board.

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
Well If I remember right. wwaaayyy back in the street fighters 2 days i saw a magazine article (I believe it was diehard games fan) that mention the cps console. the described it in a blurp that it was capcoms new machine and it was going to be like the Neo geo is. the games would be playable in the arcades and in the home system. Later in the next issue they said that thier report of a capcom home system was false and that the CPS2 was going to be the new arcade standard for capcom and it was going to take carts. I think street fighter zero was announced around that time along with super street fighter. THis is all from memory but it seems like yesterday. Anyway I would not be surprised if the devolpor system looked something like a home console (has anyone seen a dev system for machines other then the neo?) but I never saw or heard of a home capcom system again since then. Heck it could even be a dev kit for a CPS 1 for all I know.

But if you give me $1500 I can mount a cps 3 board in a computer case for you, hook up the cd rom, put a rgb to svhs convertor and pin out a couple of joysticks you can hook up to the back and you can have a cps 3 home system
smile.gif
may be cheaper depends what parts are going for nowdays. of course you would have to open the case to change carts and simms when you wanted to play a differnt game.

[This message has been edited by Big Bruno (edited October 31, 2000).]

eazy

Cheng's Errand Boy
i never heard of a home cps1 system!! Hey big -b i did the same thing with the cps-3 system (hooked it up in a small computer case with a rgb contverter) and joystick hook-ups (ya that the way to go it you want to use a cps-3 system for home use!!) hey big-b did you ever get a Naomi? Man it thight!

Bad Mofo

Neo Geo Cup '98
Thanks for the info Big Bruno. So I guess it's nothing but vaporware? Damn; would have been a cool addition to my collection.

Cheers!

Jackal

SouthTown StreetSweeper
I'm sure there really was a CPS Changer. MAME once emulated a game called "SFZCH" (Street Fighter Zero - Changer). It was a port-down of SF Zero 1 to the CPS I standard. Home carts came out for it with Street Fighter II, Final Fight, etc. but they were about $300 a piece.

Atariguy

Hardened Shock Trooper, ,
I'm pretty sure that it was mesioned in Phoenix: The Rize and Fall of VideoGames.

G

gokusama26

Pardon my ignorance, but what is Phoenix: The Rise and Fall of Videogames?

ibbo

n00b
The Cps Changer does exist as Jackal said there is a dump of the SFZ CPS Changer Rom Set. The system was basically a copy of the CPS1 system with internal Jamma connections which you would hook up to your TV. It could use the SNES controller I believe but it wasn't too successful, the SFZ conversion was released for it as more of a thankyou note for the loyal buyers. It had conversions of most of the more popular CPS1 titles like SF2HF and Final Fight. Not really a must buy, not even a "try-to-buy".

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
well if that is not a crazy thing. guess maybe the article in Gamefan was right the first time. Oh well maybe they confused themselves when they saw the carts and they looked like cps2 carts. Purely a Nostalgia item since all arcade boards of the games you can buy for cheap. except maybe the 2 muscle bombers (I heard of one but was there a part 2 also released in the arcades?)and what was Tenchi O Kurau II? anyway looks kinda neat guess it's makes the neo with the second biggest carts for a home system now.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
tenchi o kurao 2 is WICK !!

a scrolling beat em up
violent as fuck

think it was pretty big in japan
cos both the sequel and the prequel
had all that mad shit..
they had this...
goin on about....
a story called something like...

story of the 3 realms?

or summat

but the game was tops

came out for both the saturn and the psx

the yank name for it is warriors of fate

ahhh......

that one,
final fight,captain commando,cadillacs...

aliens vs predator....

ahhh capcom.....

why you lost the plot after street zero 2??

what a pity.....
what a pity.....indeed

eazy

Cheng's Errand Boy
WOW!!! i didnt know capcom released a home system like snk i bet thouse things are worth alot of money!!!!!!!!

Adol

The French Connection, ,
well,no..
the cps changer is the cps2 hardware,in a cps 1 board..that means,if you want,like a home system..but with just 2,3 titles release dever...street fighter zero 1,and as far as i know,cadillacs&dinosaurs or punisher..that's all

Jackal

SouthTown StreetSweeper
I have the Saturn Tenchi o Kurau 2. It is a cool game. Cleaving the bad guys in half can get to be fun. It's really cool when you do it to the bosses, sometimes there are innards hanging out.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Whatever, the Capcom CPS2 boards are worthless to collectors. Or they should be. The CPS2 boards have a built-in suicide feature, after 5-6 years when the onboard battery dies, the gameboards die due to Capcom's idiotic protection scheme. I almost bought a CPS2 19XX board, then found out all about the problem and decided to never buy one of their shitty CPS2 boards EVER. Here's a link to a site that tells all about it:
http://cps2shock.retrogames.com/suicide.html

Adol

The French Connection, ,
Originally posted by chimpmeister:
Whatever, the Capcom CPS2 boards are worthless to collectors. Or they should be. The CPS2 boards have a built-in suicide feature, after 5-6 years when the onboard battery dies, the gameboards die due to Capcom's idiotic protection scheme. I almost bought a CPS2 19XX board, then found out all about the problem and decided to never buy one of their shitty CPS2 boards EVER. Here's a link to a site that tells all about it:
http://cps2shock.retrogames.com/suicide.html

yes,but you can change that,and there is just need of changin batteries every 7/8 years..
there is cps2 RARE games though
my Eco fighters is from 1993,and a very good horizontal shooting game

rockman 2 the power fighters is very expensive too