Problem with my BuyRite KOF 2K cartridge

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
Sometimes after plugging the cartridge into my cart system, and after turning the system on, I hear loud static coming from my speakers. This is the only game in my collection that does this -- I'm starting to suspect something fishy. I have to remove the cartridge and re-insert it firmly to get it to work properly.

This is a Japanese cartridge (its not 'freaked'), so there could be something wrong with it. Any suggestions?

------------------
terry1.gif

NeoLord
Neo-News and much more!
http://neonews.cjb.net

BakuretsuMutekiSid

Zero's Tailor
I'm sorry to hear that NeoLord. If it persists, then I would give Buy-Rite a call and demand a replacement. How many times has there been static? Sometimes dust can do that!?

You know, I ordered a King of Fighters 2000 cart from them also, after reading your post. I sent out the money order a week ago, and the delivery confirmation says that it was received on the 19th (less than 3 days later). I paid for priority mail, and it should have been here, but guess what...it ain't. Funny thing, I used to get quick email responses when I was inquiring and placing an order, but when I sent them an email regarding the status of MY KoF 2000, they're lax in response -> go figure. I hope it arrives tomorrow. I paid a little more for better packaging, so I also hope that it had a safe journey. I'll update my transaction as soon as I get it, and whether the game produces static sound or not. Cross your fingers for me
smile.gif

------------------
garou_donghwanstand.gif

"Can you match my gaming enthusiasm?"

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BakuretsuMutekiSid:
I'm sorry to hear that NeoLord. If it persists, then I would give Buy-Rite a call and demand a replacement. How many times has there been static? Sometimes dust can do that!?

You know, I ordered a King of Fighters 2000 cart from them also, after reading your post. I sent out the money order a week ago, and the delivery confirmation says that it was received on the 19th (less than 3 days later). I paid for priority mail, and it should have been here, but guess what...it ain't. Funny thing, I used to get quick email responses when I was inquiring and placing an order, but when I sent them an email regarding the status of MY KoF 2000, they're lax in response -> go figure. I hope it arrives tomorrow. I paid a little more for better packaging, so I also hope that it had a safe journey. I'll update my transaction as soon as I get it, and whether the game produces static sound or not. Cross your fingers for me
smile.gif

I hope your cartridge arrives soon. If you need any help trying to obtain your
cartridge, just send me an e-mail -- I'll do everything I can to help you.

Yeah, my KOF 2K cartridge has produced audio static three times already. =(

My cartridge could actually be damaged (I pray not!). but only time will tell. It could
be that my cart slot needs a good cleaning. (In fact, I have a can of pressurized air in my possession -- maybe I'll give that a try.)

------------------
terry1.gif

NeoLord
Neo-News and much more!

[This message has been edited by NeoLord (edited March 26, 2001).]

Neo Lord,
I bought my MotW brand-new from SNK and I've had that happen once or twice. Could be our systems. Why don't you ask Jeff Kurtz? Maybe these huge games are more finiccy (sp?) than the non-encrypted ones. Either way, good luck.
AOF

chainsawyak

Raiden's Valet
"Sometimes after plugging the cartridge into my cart system, and after turning the system on, I hear loud static coming from my speakers. This is the only game in my collection that does this -- I'm starting to suspect something fishy. I have to remove the cartridge and re-insert it firmly to get it to work properly.
This is a Japanese cartridge (its not 'freaked'), so there could be something wrong with it. Any suggestions?"

Hey there... I actually have had this problem with my Spinmasters cart. I think it's a U.S. cart though. When I plug it in, all I can hear is static, but when I move the cart around in the slot a bit or re-insert it, it works fine. I seriously doubt it's something wrong with the cart. Your cart slot may need cleaning, pressurized are might do the trick if it's dusty. I've always had a problem with how neo carts (all home and some MVS) feel a bit rattly, they feel like little arcade PCBs in a plastic case... Regular arcade PCBs sometimes need a bit of jiggling to get them to work right, so I think that's the case for Neo carts as well.

------------------
~~Thanks
Çhâïñ§åw ¥àK
Tempest X000!!!
My Game Trading Zone Page

"A moment of realization is worth a thousand prayers."

K

kyoisthekof

Clean the contacts on your Neo and on the cartridge, that should fix it. My KOF2k had the same problem when I got it. =o)

S

Silent_Scope

NeoLord, it's quite normal that Neo cart will have small problem like that happens once or twice sometimes.
When I play my KOF 96 (brand new when I got it), I have to re-insert four times in order to get audio and video right (I clean my system once per week by using compress air and use cleaning kit to clean cartridge). FF Special is the worst one but it's okay to me.

outsider

Benimaru's Hairdresser
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BakuretsuMutekiSid:

smile.gif

I dont meant to be a prick, but wtf do you expect? Havent you read what buyrite customer service is all about? No surprise.

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
I want to thank everyone for responding to my problem so quickly!
smile.gif
This is the first time I've ever had a problem with a cartridge, but there is always a first time for everything. I'll grab my can of pressurized air and some cleaning solution -- this should (hopefully) do the trick! As for
BakuretsuMutekiSid's situation with Buyrite: it doesn't sound too good.
frown.gif

I had BuyRite ship my KOF 2K cartridge C.O.D. via UPS -- I wasn't about to trust them with a $200 credit card order (I wasn't about to send a MO either)! Placing a small order and paying them in advance is one thing, but nothing over $100.
wink.gif

BuyRite's customer service varies on a daily basis (ranging from good to extremely poor), and it sounds like BakuretsuMutekiSid placed an order on one of BuyRite's 'bad' days.
frown.gif
I wish him well and will do everything I can to help.
frown.gif
I know what it feels like to have money stolen from me, and its
not the best feeling in the world!
frown.gif

------------------
terry1.gif

NeoLord
Neo-News and much more!

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
I would agree with the others. Most likely, pressurized air should work. Hope it works out Neolord. BakuretsuMutekiSid, good luck to you as well. You should recieve it soon.

------------------
ffmw_terry.gif

"Come on, get serious!"

BakuretsuMutekiSid

Zero's Tailor
I'm sure it's only a matter of squeezing a few pumps of compressed air, NeoLord. Well atleast I hope it is
smile.gif

I appreciate the concerns of my fellow neo brethren, but worry not. I used a USPS money order, which is insured and on record. When cashed, they are returned to St. Louis. I doubt Buy-Lite will pull a fast one. If they did, that's a federal offense (since it's dealing with the postal service), and I don't think they're stupid enough to risk their entire business over one cart. I have the money order stub, and email confirmation, so I'm not worried. I just want my game soon, and in the NEW condition!! Sheesh, good thing I didn't opt for 1 day mail.
I'll keep you guys posted =>
e-mail from BUY RITE pt. 2
biggrin.gif

------------------
garou_donghwanstand.gif

"Can you match my gaming enthusiasm?"

NSX-T

Amusaka's Lacky
Hi,

So far this has happen to some of my carts, but they turned out normal.

These games are MSX US and KofF2000JPN.

Neolord-

I heard from one vendor that they had trouble with the KOF2K carts. Supposedly the material that the PCB is made of was frayed some on the contact end. Removing any stray bits allowed the cart to seat better.

B

Hop

Kula's Candy
i have the same problem when i got my kof2k. i have to reincert the cart three time to get it work. what the fuck! seem like everyone have this problem. why is that? but anyways about the shipping problem. yeah i order mine for "overnight" delivery i got mine a week later. damn i'm still pist. and when i got mine. the damn box said 2nd day delivery. seem like them fucker wrote that them self. bastard. they ship my kof2k with some old newspaper.. no bubble wrap =( and its crack.... but the game still work. so i email them about this problem. i got my answer three days later. they want me to send them back at my expense plus shipping and handling. sooo should i send them back? or wait for months to get my game back

------------------

test1.gif

i will gladly pay you on Tuesday for your whole Neo-Geo Collections

D

DigiPunk

I have had similar problems with my KoF 2k cart, as well as some other carts 5 times since I've owned the Neo.

I think this problem can be traced to uncleaned systems.

I would recommend that both of us clean our system. This should remedy the problem.

------------------

rbffs_duckkingstance.gif

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I would recommend that both of us clean our system. This should remedy the problem. [/B]

I finally have the day off to clean my Neo-Geo. Once I'm finished, I'll post the results here!

------------------
rbsterry.gif

NeoLord
Neo-News and much more!

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
I discovered something disturbing while cleaning my KOF2K cartridge. There seems
to be shredded-like material hanging from the cart connectors. This could be
causing the cartridge to glitch.... I'm attempting to clean the cartridge right now. Wish me luck!

------------------
rbsterry.gif

NeoLord
Neo-News and much more!

Hey man, I tried to tell you that earlier in the thread...

It wasn't uncommon with the KOF2000's.

Brent

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NeoLord:
I discovered something disturbing while cleaning my KOF2K cartridge. There seems
to be shredded-like material hanging from the cart connectors. This could be
causing the cartridge to glitch.... I'm attempting to clean the cartridge right now. Wish me luck!

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by brentsg:
Neolord-

I heard from one vendor that they had trouble with the KOF2K carts. Supposedly the material that the PCB is made of was frayed some on the contact end. Removing any stray bits allowed the cart to seat better.

B

Upon closer inspection, I found some frayed bits on the edge of the connector. Apparently your vendor is well informed.
smile.gif

------------------
rbsterry.gif

NeoLord
Neo-News and much more!

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by brentsg:
Hey man, I tried to tell you that earlier in the thread...

It wasn't uncommon with the KOF2000's.

Brent

I believed you! I just wasn't expecting my cartridge to be the one inflicted by this manufacturer defect!

------------------
rbsterry.gif

NeoLord
Neo-News and much more!