PDA

View Full Version : MS4 = Really Fun



Galford Forever
06-19-2002, 03:41 PM
Well, I'm about to fawn over MS4 like a silly little fan-boy, so if that makes you sick please leave :) .

First, the insert. The pic looks really really awful, but when you actually get the thing in your hands it looks very nice. It's not the best insert ever made (I like Ninja Masters the best myself), but it's definitely good. I also like the paper that they used for it.

Second, the game itself. It's really fun! They've taken all the good stuff from the other games and have added a whole bunch of details. Does anyone else think that the backgrounds are the best in the series? Some look almost photo-realistic (the mountains in the background of the snow stage). I love the detail in the zombie area! The game is also really hard. Much harder than the other ones. I think that this is good. It really does keep me coming back. I think this is bad if you have to pay to play in the arcade (I think I'd get frustrated and give up real quick).

Anyway, my first impressions were that it was just above average, but now that I've had the chance to play it a lot it's really grown on me. It may just be my favorite slug....

Liquid Snake
06-19-2002, 03:45 PM
Maybe it's time for me to shell out $600 for both KOF2K1 & Metal Slug 4 AES.........

Metal-Geo
06-19-2002, 03:56 PM
What vehicles does MS4 has? <img src="graemlins/drool2.gif" border="0" alt="[Drool 2]" /> <img src="graemlins/drool2.gif" border="0" alt="[Drool 2]" />

Eric
06-19-2002, 04:05 PM
[quote]Originally posted by Metal-Geo:
<strong>What vehicles does MS4 has? <img src="graemlins/drool2.gif" border="0" alt="[Drool 2]" /> <img src="graemlins/drool2.gif" border="0" alt="[Drool 2]" /> </strong><hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://www.metalslug4.com" target="_blank">Official English Metal Slug 4 Website</a>

Has vehicle pictures and descriptions. Strangely, it didn't show a picture of THE Metal Slug if I remember correctly. But it does show the new vehicles.

rarehero
06-19-2002, 04:53 PM
[quote]Originally posted by Liquid Snake:
<strong>Maybe it's time for me to shell out $600 for both KOF2K1 & Metal Slug 4 AES.........</strong><hr></blockquote>

maybe ms4. but god not kof 2001

Liquid Snake
06-19-2002, 05:18 PM
[quote]Originally posted by rarehero:
<strong>

maybe ms4. but god not kof 2001</strong><hr></blockquote>

really.......

rarehero
06-19-2002, 05:50 PM
i hate it j.
i dont like the art
i dont like the music.
and i dont enjoy the story because the cut
scenes are pretty dull.
i dont find the controls as sharp as everyone
here says it is.
and speaking personally again, i really dont like
the ratio system.
it defeats the purpose of it being kof.
its a team battle game.
people will tell you its the greatest thing
but i m almost convinced that they re just defending
their 300 dollar purchase.
watch the price fall.

Galford Forever
06-19-2002, 05:54 PM
While this is getting off topic... it's my topic so there ;) ! Anyway, I think KOF2k1 is top-notch. There's a reason why it's so popular in Japan: it's just a real solid fighter. I personally like the new art scheme and all the changes. If I wanted exactly the same thing as before I would play all my other KOFs.

prefect
06-19-2002, 06:04 PM
I must say also that I take my initial reactions to the insert back. That scan really didn't do it justice.

The actual thing is much much better.

As far as the game itself I love it! My only complaint thus far is the millions of green soldiers. The thing I really liked about Slug 3 was that there were different enemies like the mosquitos, zombies, yetis, crabs, snails, etc. Nice variety. Not killing the same thing over and over again.

I don't know killing green soldier after green soldier just doesn't do it for me.

Please tell me there is something else...somewhere????!?! <img src="graemlins/crying.gif" border="0" alt="[Crying]" />

<img src="graemlins/loco.gif" border="0" alt="[Loco]" /> <img src="graemlins/loco.gif" border="0" alt="[Loco]" /> <img src="graemlins/loco.gif" border="0" alt="[Loco]" />

Galford Forever
06-19-2002, 06:09 PM
[quote]Originally posted by prefect:
<strong>I must say also that I take my initial reactions to the insert back. That scan really didn't do it justice.

The actual thing is much much better.

As far as the game itself I love it! My only complaint thus far is the millions of green soldiers. The thing I really liked about Slug 3 was that there were different enemies like the mosquitos, zombies, yetis, crabs, snails, etc. Nice variety. Not killing the same thing over and over again.

I don't know killing green soldier after green soldier just doesn't do it for me.

Please tell me there is something else...somewhere????!?! <img src="graemlins/crying.gif" border="0" alt="[Crying]" />

<img src="graemlins/loco.gif" border="0" alt="[Loco]" /> <img src="graemlins/loco.gif" border="0" alt="[Loco]" /> <img src="graemlins/loco.gif" border="0" alt="[Loco]" /> </strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh yeah, there's other stuff there too :) . Yetis, a bear!!!, zombies, mummies, scientists (two different kinds). I haven't completed the last level yet (it's really hard), so I can't say I've seen everything. Are there aliens near the end (or any other special enemy)???

Metal-Geo
06-19-2002, 06:14 PM
What are the anemys. Only green and whit soldiers???

[ June 19, 2002: Message edited by: Metal-Geo ]</p>

Galford Forever
06-19-2002, 06:16 PM
[quote]Originally posted by Metal-Geo:
<strong>What are the anemys. Only green and whit soldiers???

[ June 19, 2002: Message edited by: Metal-Geo ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Huh?? I don't understand your question? Check my post just above yours. There's an assortment of different enemies. Maybe not as many as MS3, but still there are quite a few.

Oh, and I forgot to add that there are new blue soldiers that have different attacks.

RAIDEN
06-19-2002, 07:23 PM
I think I might just have to get $300 together for this game after all.... <img src="graemlins/drool.gif" border="0" alt="[Drool]" /> <img src="graemlins/drool.gif" border="0" alt="[Drool]" /> <img src="graemlins/drool.gif" border="0" alt="[Drool]" />

+++SLUG FLYER+++
06-20-2002, 04:11 AM
Watch the price fall? You idiot, the english one is limited to 300 copies. It wont fall, really. Maybe by $30 max...i actually think it may go up with all the praise its been getting now that people are actually playing the beautiful thing that is slug 4!

TheBigBB
06-20-2002, 04:28 AM
I brought MS4 to my friend's house today and his reaction was, "Wow, I like this better than 3!"

Metal-Geo
06-20-2002, 05:16 AM
I have a AES system but, that thing is way DEAD!!
So I have to buy the MVS version. Does some boddy know where I can get it. cheap and new? :cool:

Galford Forever
06-20-2002, 06:46 AM
[quote]Originally posted by Metal-Geo:
<strong>I have a AES system but, that thing is way DEAD!!
So I have to buy the MVS version. Does some boddy know where I can get it. cheap and new? :cool: </strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, the neostore here has the game new.... one out of two ain't bad ;) . The neostore is a real good, reliable place and they package real well, so if you're scared about ordering from them, don't be. The guy that runs it is real honest, and has been real good in all the dealings I've had with him. No I'm not getting paid off, I'm just telling it like I see it :) .

RAIDEN
06-20-2002, 07:42 AM
I agree, Shawn is the best neo retailer there is for everything neo. It's a shame that some of the prices are a little high at times. But you do get the best service I have ever had.

rarehero
06-20-2002, 09:15 AM
[quote]Originally posted by +++SLUG FLYER+++:
<strong>Watch the price fall? You idiot, the english one is limited to 300 copies. It wont fall, really. Maybe by $30 max...i actually think it may go up with all the praise its been getting now that people are actually playing the beautiful thing that is slug 4!</strong><hr></blockquote>

im sorry you idiot.
i was talking about kof 2001

Metal-Geo
06-20-2002, 09:52 AM
[quote]Originally posted by Galford Forever:
<strong>

Well, the neostore here has the game new.... one out of two ain't bad ;) . The neostore is a real good, reliable place and they package real well, so if you're scared about ordering from them, don't be. The guy that runs it is real honest, and has been real good in all the dealings I've had with him. No I'm not getting paid off, I'm just telling it like I see it :) .</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not that I didn't trust them, but... wel, its a strange story why I want it cheap so.
They do send it to the Netherlands I hope? <img src="graemlins/multi.gif" border="0" alt="[Multi Color Bouncey]" />

[ June 20, 2002: Message edited by: Metal-Geo ]</p>

Tarma
06-20-2002, 05:09 PM
MS4 sucks big fat donkey balls. I can't stand it.

Give me PI 2 - NOW!!!!

Back to Viewpoint for the time being then... :rolleyes:

garou_d
06-20-2002, 05:51 PM
MS 4 ! I like it. graphicly under 3 but great action all the time. and the sound is great <img src="graemlins/drool.gif" border="0" alt="[Drool]" /> ...

it's out of topic, but I've hurd about a slug 5 on PS2 only (not AES at least). is that true ?

Atro
06-20-2002, 06:07 PM
Garou_d, pleezzz don't tell me that I have to buy a PS2 because of Metal Slug 5. I would rather buy 10 copies of legend of success Joe before buying a PS2.

About MS4, I really hope that it is a great game, I don't care if people don't like it, If I like it, I'm an happy man! Slug all the way! :D

Loopz
06-23-2002, 11:57 PM
[quote] MS4 sucks big fat donkey balls. I can't stand it.
Give me PI 2 - NOW!!!!

Back to Viewpoint for the time being then...

<hr></blockquote>

Finally, at least one more fellow Neo gamer who sees things the way I do. Meanwhile, since I traded my copy of Slug 3 for a 4-slot MVS board, I'll be saving up for a new copy of Slug 3.

ocsmod
06-24-2002, 12:28 PM
I've received mine from Neo Ayato today and my first impression is good. I think it's more difficult than MS3, but that is a good thing for me (longer gameplay). Graphics are ok, I like the new music and the stages design looks like a return to the MS1 style. The zombies stage is fucking great!
Maybe the problem of some people is that they expected too much of this game.

Fran
06-24-2002, 01:33 PM
its ok,slug 4

not bad

not particularly good

to be honest,
i think,by now,we've all had more than enough of this game


i mean,
shoot and jump,proceed


they made 5 games


yeah good,its time to give it a rest now

chimpmeister
06-24-2002, 01:44 PM
[quote]Originally posted by Tarma:
<strong>MS4 sucks big fat donkey balls. I can't stand it.

Give me PI 2 - NOW!!!!

Back to Viewpoint for the time being then... :rolleyes: </strong><hr></blockquote>

PI2 sucks, as shooters go. If thats all you're excited about, I feel sorry for you . . . there are TONS of better shooters than PI2 . . . <img src="graemlins/ohno.gif" border="0" alt="[Oh No]" />

JHendrix
06-24-2002, 01:49 PM
[quote]Originally posted by Fran:
<strong>its ok,slug 4

not bad

not particularly good

to be honest,
i think,by now,we've all had more than enough of this game


i mean,
shoot and jump,proceed


they made 5 games


yeah good,its time to give it a rest now</strong><hr></blockquote>


You have developed a bad habit lately of saying things I agree with, it's really starting to scare me.

BTW, if MS5 was on PS2 only I'd laugh my ass off for hours...

Peace

JHendrix

FeelGood
06-24-2002, 01:52 PM
[quote]Originally posted by chimpmeister:
<strong>

PI2 sucks, as shooters go. If thats all you're excited about, I feel sorry for you . . . there are TONS of better shooters than PI2 . . . <img src="graemlins/ohno.gif" border="0" alt="[Oh No]" /> </strong><hr></blockquote>

Heh... I'd take MS4 over PI2 anyday. PI2 was a really poor rush job. But even if Yumekobo had another year to work on it, I don't think it would help. The character design was wretched. Why is it that a shooter like Pulstar, 4 years younger, looks better than PI2 in almost every aspect?

Metal Slug 4 had some short comings. Overall, it's an excellent game. Tell me you don't like it after you beat the game on the allotted credits with the default settings (no 99 lives bullshit). It's the most challenging game in the series. It makes MS1 look like a cake walk (actually, MS3 did that too).

Takumaji
06-24-2002, 02:01 PM
After selling parts of my damaged bike I got some free cash and ordered Slug 4 from Otaku HK... it's not here yet, but the more I read reviews, reactions on ng.com, and view shots, it seems to boil down to the question wether you're into 1 (military style) or 3 (sprites'n'monsters galore)... ... 4 leans towards 1, which still is my favourite part, so ........, isn't it.

Let's see... Fran's prolly right, another Slug game would ruin the series. I mean, anything is said and done, and there should be peace forever...

ocsmod
06-25-2002, 11:15 AM
[quote]Originally posted by Takumaji:
<strong>
Let's see... Fran's prolly right, another Slug game would ruin the series. I mean, anything is said and done, and there should be peace forever...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, I would like to see at least one more Metal Slug game. I like MS4, I think it is a good game, but we all have the impression that Mega could have made a better job. MS4 is a quite good first attempt including some new features and ideas, so now they have more experience I think they could try to make the final Metal Slug game. They didn't use all the capacity of the cart (MS4 is about 550 Megs), so they have enought free space to include new things and longer stages.

Lastblade
06-25-2002, 12:39 PM
I visited the local arcade here that has *YAY* MS4 (NYC Chinatown).

Overall, I think MS4 is a good game. Not crazy and nutty and intense like 3 was, but hey, I didn't expect it to be. It is still fun.

However, I am not sure if I will ever own it. Too much money for the same stuff we have seen years ago :)

Takumaji
06-25-2002, 01:04 PM
[quote]Originally posted by ocsmod:
<strong>

Well, I would like to see at least one more Metal Slug game. I like MS4, I think it is a good game, but we all have the impression that Mega could have made a better job. MS4 is a quite good first attempt including some new features and ideas, so now they have more experience I think they could try to make the final Metal Slug game. They didn't use all the capacity of the cart (MS4 is about 550 Megs), so they have enought free space to include new things and longer stages.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah... one, just one more, please. And then another one, and another one... to be blunt, I don't think they'll ever stop. Slug's too popular in the arcades and at home.

Gets them $$$

KoF and Slug, the Neo duality. Right now we're playing the 8th part of KoF, and I guess, by 2005, we will see the n-th part of Slug, "Ultimate Slug" or something like that, released on two carts, with a grand total of 1400 Megs...

With other, prolly much more brilliant Neo games at hand, it's a fact that the Neo's liveblood stems from these repetitions... for the better or the worse.

Metal-Geo
06-25-2002, 01:36 PM
[quote]Originally posted by Takumaji:
<strong>

Yeah... one, just one more, please. And then another one, and another one... to be blunt, I don't think they'll ever stop. Slug's too popular in the arcades and at home.

Gets them $$$

KoF and Slug, the Neo duality. Right now we're playing the 8th part of KoF, and I guess, by 2005, we will see the n-th part of Slug, "Ultimate Slug" or something like that, released on two carts, with a grand total of 1400 Megs...

With other, prolly much more brilliant Neo games at hand, it's a fact that the Neo's liveblood stems from these repetitions... for the better or the worse.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think that you have played a little to much Neo-Geo.

prefect
06-25-2002, 04:01 PM
hmmm...

they have 8 KOFs

and you think 4 (x and 2 are pretty much the same) slugs is overkill?

"shoot and jump,proceed"

How about kick, punch, throw, next opponent...
How many fighting games does the neo have?

<img src="graemlins/ohno.gif" border="0" alt="[Oh No]" /> <img src="graemlins/ohno.gif" border="0" alt="[Oh No]" />

[ June 25, 2002: Message edited by: prefect ]</p>

rstreck
06-25-2002, 04:09 PM
I don't know. I think Metal Slug 4 is a hell of a lot better than people are making it out to be. I think a lot of Neo gamers have gotten a little jaded over the years.

I own all the MS games on home cart. 2,X,3 and 4 I bought at release and I picked up 1 a while after release. The Metal Slug series are my favorite games on the Neo Geo and I've played them all inside and out.

That being said, I honestly believe that MS4 is the second best entry in the series (3 being the best). MS4 just seems to have a whole lot going for it.

First off, it is by far the most challenging of all the Slugs hands down. Secondly, the backgrounds in MS4 are second to none in the Slug series (they are most definitely head and shoulders above MS3's spartan backgrounds). Also, the Missions in MS4 are all longer than the Missions in previous Slugs (MS3 Mission 5 being the exception). MS4 is at the top of its game animation wise as well. Did anyone check out the animations on your character when you get turned into a monkey in Mission 1? It's insane!

People seem to be complaining that MS4 seems like a glorified cut and paste job. Well that's bs. Okay, so some portions of Missions 1,2, and 4 are lifted out of previous MS games. Other than that, the entire game is completely original. I mean c'mon lets not get carried away here, MSX was an exact remake of MS2 with less slowdown and a swapped color pallete and no one was complaining then.

I just think that people should stop looking down their nose at this game and give it a chance. So, it's not made by SNK and it's not as graphically insane as MS3, however, if you pass this one up you will be missing out on a great game.

btw here is my ranking of the Metal Slug series from best to worst (although there really is no worst as they are all great games)!

1. Metal Slug 3
2. Metal Slug 4
3. Metal Slug X
4. Metal Slug 2
5. Metal Slug 1

Setsuna1982
06-25-2002, 05:50 PM
I guess the problem is the plot... there's no plot. That's why many people thinks that all the crabs and aliens of 3 are quite a let down compared to X...
The reason is that in X the aliens appeared gradually (more or less it have an argument) but 3 put you fighting against crabs without reason...
The answer should be make a "Metal Slug Complete" mixing the overall story but with new levels... i mean.. first the battle against morden, then morden ally with aliens, aliens create crabs and that stuff and finally you face the aliens with the help of morden... That should satisfy both lovers of military theme and lovers of giant crabs.

For the 5th episode... i'll guess we will face time warps and things like fighting against romans, cavemen, in the future...

YeldellGW
06-25-2002, 07:47 PM
[quote]Originally posted by Fran:
its ok,slug 4

not bad

not particularly good

to be honest,
i think,by now,we've all had more than enough of this game


i mean,
shoot and jump,proceed


they made 5 games


yeah good,its time to give it a rest now<hr></blockquote>

Personally, that kind of mindless fun is why I like games like Metal Slug & Contra. Hell, just before my copy of MS4 arrived last Saturday, I was playing Sexy Parodius, Gradius, & other Konami shooters.

Five games later and I still play Gradius as if it were brand spanking new.

I won't even start on Rockman...

To each his own.

The only bad thing I see in Metal Slug 4 is that like Metal Slug 3, there probably won't be an OST CD released of it. <img src="graemlins/blowtop.gif" border="0" alt="[Blow Top]" />

[ June 25, 2002: Message edited by: YeldellGW ]</p>

Fran
06-26-2002, 02:46 AM
[quote]Originally posted by prefect:
<strong>hmmm...
How about kick, punch, throw, next opponent...
How many fighting games does the neo have?
</strong><hr></blockquote>

shoot,jump,proceed

that sums up slug pretty nicely

kick,punch,throw

i'm afraid kof isnt that simple

it takes at least a couple of hours to master a new kof character

(i'm just talking about practice mode,
not VERSUS matches )

a new slug game usually starts becoming boring after a few hours

of course,
thats just my opinion


IMO

IMHO

[ June 26, 2002: Message edited by: Fran ]</p>

Galford Forever
06-26-2002, 08:47 AM
[quote]Originally posted by Fran:
<strong>

shoot,jump,proceed

that sums up slug pretty nicely

kick,punch,throw

i'm afraid kof isnt that simple

it takes at least a couple of hours to master a new kof character

(i'm just talking about practice mode,
not VERSUS matches )

a new slug game usually starts becoming boring after a few hours

of course,
thats just my opinion


IMO

IMHO

[ June 26, 2002: Message edited by: Fran ]</strong><hr></blockquote>


For me I get more play out of a new Slug than a new KOF. I like the KOF games, but I really don't have anyone to play against, so they can get boring after a while. Also, there have been more KOF games made than MS games, so the MS series still feels fairly fresh.

Although there were technically 5 games made, there are only 4 really different ones. I don't know... MS4 just does it for me. I can't get enough of it, and I hope they make an MS5 :) .

ocsmod
06-26-2002, 01:19 PM
Yesterday I've played another hour to Metal Slug 4 at home, and I must say that the more I play it, the most I like it. The zombies stage is very very good: lots of action and fun, great music and very detailed backgrounds.
It's very difficult too. I run out of credits at the boat stage.

Takumaji
06-26-2002, 02:43 PM
Man, this is so great.

"must have played too much Neo"? How can one play too much Neo?!? Hi there, this is neo-geo.com, a society like... ah... whatever...

And more game play in Slug than KoF? Well, to each his own I guess.

Anyway, what I wanted to say is that the Slugs and KoFs, tho totally different games, are the driving force of the Neo scene as it is today. Fact.

Without Metal Slug and KoF, most ppl who came in after 98 wouldn't be here. Fact. So, they keep on making Slugs and KoFs, because it attracts more and more ppl to buy Neos and games for it. Happy Sun, happy Playmore.

That's why I don't think that they will stop making Slugs. Allright? Thanks.

chimpmeister
06-27-2002, 12:05 AM
[quote]Originally posted by ocsmod:
<strong>Yesterday I've played another hour to Metal Slug 4 at home, and I must say that the more I play it, the most I like it. The zombies stage is very very good: lots of action and fun, great music and very detailed backgrounds.
It's very difficult too. I run out of credits at the boat stage.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree 100%. I was playing more tonight, and the game is a blast!! Difficulty is high but manageable, new vehicles and weapon are great, backgrounds are very nice, and the music . . . ah, the music is EXCELLENT. Whatever morons said that Slug 4 was disappointing or poorly made, should be shot . . . they're most likely jaded gamers who no longer can recognize good arcade games when they see them. The more I play this Slug, the better I like it too . . . and I played MS1 back to back with MS4 tonight, and MS4 was UP THERE for sure!! :)

Wing Nut
06-27-2002, 11:41 AM
I don't have MS4, but that robotic walking slug looks like one of the mutants from MSX that crawl on the walls and blow up when they get near you. Is that true?

Takumaji
06-27-2002, 01:30 PM
[quote]Originally posted by chimpmeister:
<strong>

I agree 100%. I was playing more tonight, and the game is a blast!! Difficulty is high but manageable, new vehicles and weapon are great, backgrounds are very nice, and the music . . . ah, the music is EXCELLENT.</strong><hr></blockquote>

When I got home from the office one and a half hours ago, a minty-fresh JPN Slug 4 was waiting for me on my doormat! YEE-HA.

Played til the first half or so of the fifth level, in a quite rushed way to be honest, to "see somethin"...

So far, it looks very good. Lots, lots of troops to shoot and slash, with a very cool and furious trench-to-trench fight right in the first level. MS1 deluxe, and no, I can say that I didn't get this "oh my, a rehash!" feeling. - . - .

Nice bosses from what I've seen, #2 is really great, fine idea to let Morden recycle the burned-out parts of the giant rocket of Slug 3... :cool:

OKAY... and Chimp, by god, the music is really perfect, specially the eerie theme of level 4. They've done a great, great job with the soundtrack and the sound f/x, so nada complaints here from me.

[quote]<strong>Whatever morons said that Slug 4 was disappointing or poorly made, should be shot . . . they're most likely jaded gamers who no longer can recognize good arcade games when they see them. The more I play this Slug, the better I like it too . . . and I played MS1 back to back with MS4 tonight, and MS4 was UP THERE for sure!! :) </strong><hr></blockquote>

Now, now, that's a bit harsh, eh. Tastes are tastes. . .

Anyway, must play much more of this. I feel that it might be [...]

:)

PS: There's no sound during the score and hostages count, no music, nothing. Sucks. And why the hell have they used the same x-tra lame drawing style for the chara selection as for the KoF2k1 avatars?! So UGLY.

And I don't like the pirates. Ex-Arabs, not cool.

[edit: added PS]

[ June 27, 2002: Message edited by: Takumaji ]</p>

gozaimas
06-27-2002, 06:28 PM
The music is glorious! Those of you who apprdeciate music will be able to remember the times (few and fa btween in my case) where a BGM on the neo has literally made you stop to listen- This happened more than once for me in MS4- fantastic!!

I love the game- With MS games you basically know what you are gettig- none of them have been crap and all are a complete blast in terms of action gameplaty- MS4 is a reasonable update in terms of pushing the series on but fantastic game intms of gameplay- this is what counts in my mind as then i'm having fun!

Comparing the lifespan of the two (KOF and MS) is silly- they are very different games- However, you can complete a kof game on MVS difficulty level far far far easier than you can complete MS3 or 4 game on MVS diff. The balance is evened out like that in my mind making each genre legitimate in terms of its lifespan...

rugal2000
07-02-2002, 02:25 PM
I saw this game up and running at the CEX store in London today and it looks okay. It seems to have a clean feel to the graphics, almost like slug 1. I didnt play it but from what I saw, it looks like a worthy slug game, and not some kind of bastardisation of the series, like Shocktroopers 2 was to shocktroopers 1.

Metal-Geo
07-02-2002, 03:53 PM
I played the game already a few times, and I must say: That the 2H (2X machine gun) whasn't much in the game. And the lasergun whas only one or two times in the games. And ya get the machine gun and rocketlauncher very fast.
And there are no "BIG" guns.
The Slugs: There is only 1 slugnoid, 2 metal slugs, 1 Forklift, 1 3-ton truck, 1 bike, 1 Metal Crow, 1 walkmachine and 1 Bradlay.
(the Bradlay is my fav)
And ya can be hit 4 or 5 times in a slug by a (little) bullet. Not by a cannon's ball.

But its fun to see a very different Metal Slug.
:p :p

Bluevoodu
07-02-2002, 04:23 PM
I hope MS5 isn't on the PS2.... at least put it on the Gamecube lol :)

They deserve the game :D

South Stunna X
07-04-2002, 10:21 PM
Metal Slug 4 = really fun, sure, fun worth of $50.00 dollars maybe. Does not even compare to MS3 - in MS3 they really raised the bar of bizarre platform fun. MS4 fell way short compared to MS3. Mega should realize the series supposed to go forward, not back, sheesh!

conclusion MS4 is more like steroid update of the first Metal Slug. to rate that game from best to dated would be: MS3 --&gt; MSX --&gt; MS2 --&gt; MS4 --&gt; Metal Slug. two cents! <img src="graemlins/annoyed.gif" border="0" alt="[Annoyed]" />