Wow ! Capcom to pull out of Arcade business

searchingtom

NEST Puppet
Details from link...

Please note that the following is a 3rd party report, and not an official announcement made by Capcom.

The Nikkei Telecom 21 -the largest online news & information database in Japan accessible through paid membership only, has reported that Capcom will be discontinuing from sales and development of arcade games.

Nikkei Telecom 21's parent company- the Nikkei News, is a respected new source, responsible for the original reporting of Sega's discontinuation from the Dreamcast, prior to Sega's official announcement.

The following is the report.

Capcom will withdraw from the diminishing arcade market within the fiscal year. From prospects that the arcade industry will not recover from its current downfall, Capcom will retreat from the arcade industry and focus their development on games for home consoles. While development on currently made arcade games will still continue, no new games will be developed. Capcom will be the first major company in the arcade industry to withdraw from the market.

Capcom's arcade games sales have decreased to 5,000 units per title, a major drop from the 80,000 units per title at the peek of the arcade industry. For the fiscal of March 2001, Capcom's sales from the arcade dropped to 3.9 Billion Yen, only 1/5 of the income compared to 1994. Capcom held 30% of total sales in the arcade industry at its peek as well; estimates for this fiscal year have dropped to under 10%.

Another aspect to Capcom's decision comes after Sega's discontinuation of the DreamCast console, a machine compatible to the arcade board "Naomi" used by Capcom for arcade game development.

The Dreamcast/Naomi system also allowed users to purchase and play identical games at home or the arcade- a double profitable development, which will no longer be useful once the DreamCast is discontinued.

The Madman's Cafe will continue to follow up on any news related to this Report.

S

Silent_Scope

I'm not surprise coz arcade business is downhill. People have other things to do instead of going to arcade and play games (it cost most anyway). Gamers stay at home playing PC or TV game instead.
Looks like Capcom is following SNK to desease arcade business.....who will be next? Konami? Sega?

------------------
Silent_Scope
norikos.jpg

My dream girl....where are you?

neonut

Crossed Swords Squire
If both SNK and CAP. drop out of the arcade business maybe they will develop for new console like ps2 and x-box or G-Cube. I love my neo but I would rather have these companies make games for new systems like ps2, x-box, and game cube, then to stop making them at all. Lets face it the arcade business is dying fast and all there will be is home consoles. Look at cap vs snk, it is identical to the arcade, why dump quaters in that game when you can buy and play when ever you want for free. I wish snk made a new system, I remmember back in the day when neo first came out, nothing came close. Why , why, why can't they do it again, 10 years on this system is not a bad record..........NEONUT

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It's areally unfortunate day when Capcom decides to make a move like that. I wonder which game system will be privy to some of Capcom's big arcade games like Street Fighter and the vs series. Will we ever see a Street Fighter 4? Why amI even talking about this at a NEO Geo Board?

------------------
Late on the whole Neo Geo thing.

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
Take nothing away from having systems that can play arcade quality identicial games.... but I kinda miss the Good Old Days when we went the arcades hopeful and happy.... each arcade was 25 cents and it was fun to wait for a subpar conversion to the SNES..... ahhhh

C

Caris Nautilus

That report is total BS. For one capcom happens to have MANY arcade games in development. Such as the upcoming CvSNK 2.

Perhaps capcom is going to not make their OWN arcade hardwear anymore, such as the CPS-2 and 3 units. But I know for a fact they have many Naomi/Naomi2 games in development.

Capcom not making arcade games anymore is pure BS. Just some dumb writer trying to sell papers as ushual on a technicality.

S

Silent_Scope

I really miss the old days when people line up quarters to play Street Fighter II Turbo and Mortal Combat.....sigh..........
Those days are gone. we'll see more and more companies drop out from arcade business soon.

------------------
Silent_Scope
norikos.jpg

C

Caris Nautilus

How do you figure that? The only companies I see dropping out are those whos games don't sell. Sure SNK is cool, but in america their games don't sell, so why continue releasing them? They should release them where they sell, which is asia.

Sega makes a killing in the arcade, they always make the most innovative hardwear and arcade games, other companys like namco and even sony make huge arcade games.

The arcade market isn't dying, its just compressing, if a companies games arent selling then they should stick to making console games or drop out.

In capcoms case its pure BS, capcoms games are always big sellers in the US, MvC was the top earning game of the year in 98'. and MvC 2 and their naomi games both did well also.

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
Silent Scope...... true. Arcades to me just don't have that same zest to me.... *sniff*..... it'll never be like it was in 1994....

But hey, it's time to move on. And at least we all have a system where we can play any old school 2D fighter to remind us of the good ol days and fun..... so we got that going for us!
wink.gif

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
I didn't really want to beleive this at first, but the more I think about it the more it makes sense. Arcades all over this area are drying up and 3 that I frequent are expecting to close down within the year, and these are all arcades that used to packed 3-5 years ago. It's the same situation almost everywhere. Just means less locations will buy the latest capcom boards.

ALso, I admit I haven't been following arcade development very closely, but I can't think of hardly any titles announced by capcom specifically for the arcade. I'm sure CvS: professional will be an arcade game because they said the tournament at the TGS will be played on it, but the format for CvS2 hasn't even been hinted at, so it could just possibly be a straight to home game.

And the source of where this info came from (nikkei) is about the most respected news source in japan. They don't just make stuff up.

We'll just have to wait for an official statement from Capcom to know for sure, but it doesn't look good...

Matt

Robert

20 Year Member
It's true that the classic arcade games have not the success that they had at the beginning of the 90's.Capcom make the choice to stop their arcade activities and even if I'm not a big fan of them, this represents the dicrease of a kind of arcade game.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
This is GREAT NEWS! No more comparison between 'HOME QUALITY' & 'ARCADE QUALITY'
Games for the home console(s) will hopefully 'MAX OUT' that console's capabilities!!
I know that Arcade popularity is dwindling over here in the US,not to mention alot of the places are 'HANG-OUTS'anyway but this may
end up being an SNK situation with Capcom North American distribution shutting down.
It's a GOOD THING! Arcades shutting down open the door for alot more participation in video game publishing I believe.
Neo Geo will have it's 'RE-BIRTH'
bigbear.gif
-"Please don't make me angry....You won't like me when I'm angry."
-BB

S

Silent_Scope

I miss old days so much~~~ No hard work, no nothing to worry about, and just play my lovely Street Fighter II everyday. I love to go to different places to challenge people.....that was great coz you'll meet lots friends everywhere. Now I can only play fighting game by myself......playing against stupid computer.....Shoryuken!!!

------------------
Silent_Scope
norikos.jpg

autobotclown

Kula's Candy
this is bs talking to my own sources (not official) capcom will stop making naiomi arcade machines not arcades all together.
They have droped in sales but they are still one of the leaders in the arcade.

S

Silent_Scope

Konami is the king, not Capcom (remember those dance machines?)

------------------
Silent_Scope
norikos.jpg

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Unfortunetly it is true that the arcades are in dismal shape these days. A lot of arcade owners are feeling the sting too, and a lot of smaller arcades have closed over the last few years. Capcom pulling out of the arcade business is big, I am not sure if it is true or not, but it could happen, especially in the state we are in now. Truth is, thanks to high power consoles like PS2 and X-Box, the machines at home rivial the arcade hardware. I think we all remember seeing Soul Calibur come home to better graphics and smoother gameplay on DC... Sure it was the same hardware, but Namco fine-tuned it to work even better at home... so who is going to waste fifty cents a play in the arcade?

-Nick

Shuuchan

Crossed Swords Squire
err nruva Soul Calibur arcade ran on System 12 arcade hardware, same as Tekken 3. Like twice as powerful as PS1. Dreamcast is like 20-25 times as powerful as System 12.

Its possible this report ight be true but maybe it does just mean capcom is pulling out of arcade hardware. I mean why make it when Segas Naomi/Naomi 2 are powerfu;l enough to handle anything they coul possibly wanna do in 2d and Naomi 2 has enough power to keep up with(and surpass in some ways) the likes of Gamecube and Xbox. Just a thought.

------------------
mendo21.gif

-Shuuchan

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
opps, your right, Soul Calibur was on System 12 not Naomi, my mistake.

-Nick

J

jethrek

It's a shame that Capcom's not doing well. The last time arcades took a serious dip, it was the introduction of Street Fighter that began a new rise.

Problem is that Arcade graphics can't stay far ahead of consoles, and unless someone comes up with a new way to revolutionize arcades, there's not enough motivation for people to go there instead of their living room. What arcades need is great gameplay, not just graphics.

-Jethrek - still sopping down at the arcade for one more game of Vanguard

C

Caris Nautilus

Yea the king of rehash. Seriously the dance machines are cool, but I mean their all the same games pretty much.

Sega is the undisputed king of arcades, They make more than any other company worldwide in the arcade market each year.

And have you seen Virtua Striker 3? MY GOD, That game looks fucking amazing, Blows ANYTHING to hell grpahics wise thats out right now, makes PS 2 look like atari

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Silent_Scope:
Konami is the king, not Capcom (remember those dance machines?)

[This message has been edited by Caris Nautilus (edited March 20, 2001).]

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Yes indeed, SEGA is the arcade King. If SEGA were a woman, I would have been turned down before I even thought of asking.

------------------
Late on the whole Neo Geo thing.

ravenmgs

Armored Scrum Object
Arcades realy have diew as a whole, as home sets they are way to expencive for the adverage buyer and most people who play videogames these days are hermits thanks to the internet so there is never any one at the arcades except little kids and the AI. O well... I shure hate the inetenet right about now.........

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shuuchan:
err nruva Soul Calibur arcade ran on System 12 arcade hardware, same as Tekken 3. Like twice as powerful as PS1. Dreamcast is like 20-25 times as powerful as System 12.

You are correct about the original Soul Calibre, but after the upgrade for the DC version, there was a re-release of Soul Calibre in the arcade, running on NAOMI hardware.

-BioMotor_Unitron