Why KoF 2k is $199 @ BuyRite

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
KoF 2k at $199 is a great price. Here is why such a great price is available.

In all probability, NGF has sold a large portion of their Japan stock of KoF2k to BuyRite. NGF has also done its very best to devalue the Jp version of KoF2k as well as every other Japanese version cart at every turn. If they keep telling enough people that the Jp versions of Neo Geo carts are undesirable, then eventually it becomes true. This helps NGF in two ways.

First, there is the possibility of making their US KoF 2k more attractive to the would be collector. After all, it hasn't fallen in price at all has it? Of course not. There is a monopoly on the source. The price will likely never drop. That's what happens in a monopoly. And you know what? If enough people start to believe that the Jp carts will continue to drop like a rock, the US version will actually go up (albeit arbitrarily, but up nonetheless).

Second, this also sets up future NGF US release carts, should they come to fruition, as THE carts to get. Now, I am not necessarily agreeing with this, just stating the mission. Of course there will, in all probability, be no more Jp carts released, but the point is, if the US KoF2k is legitimized by the mainstream Neo fan base, subsequent NGF US releases are by default legitimized as well. Very savvy.

Also, an added bonus is that NGF gets to sell off a large number of carts that they would otherwise need to sell themselves; something that they may be having trouble doing. Why wouldn't they sell these carts to BuyRite? It makes perfect business sense. VGD will have nothing to do with them. NCS is afraid of the repercussions of dealing with them. Now, BuyRite isn't that picky. Inventory is inventory to them. And when they can undercut NCS by that much, I am sure they are doing hand springs.

Basically, these carts have been dumped on the market by NGF via the last viable, mass market conduit available to them. And you know what? It's the smart thing to do from their perspective. And also, just to prove I am not a total hypocrite, I think the fact that KoF 2k is available at $199 is a great thing. I paid $335 for mine, but if more Neo fans can get the game at a good price, that can only be a good thing.

To be honest, once BuyRite has sold through their stock, the price of KoF 2k will probably not be effected much. There just aren't as many of them out there as say KoF '98, English or otherwise. Simple economics. In any case, if you want to put your nuts on the table and risk a buy from BuyRite, I would grab a copy of Jp KoF 2k and be happy that I got it at a below market value price.

------------------
kof96_ryostance.gif
-RyoGeo

djbomberman

NAM-75 Vet
Your theory makes perfect sense. I am not supporting NGF, but everything you said is a theory. I think that maybe someone with good enough connections could talk to say the Manager or what not of BuyRite and find out. Also has anyone tried buying KOF 2K Jap from NGF for that price? Are they now out of stock? Just wondering. If some light can be shed as to whether or not BuyRites stock of this cart came from NGF, we can solidify your theory into fact. Knowing the kind of people that NGF is made up of, I wouldn't be suprised if this turns out......Just my thoughts.....

------------------
29406164.gif

---GROOVY!!!---

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Well RyoGeo, while I think normally you're right on target about many things, in this case I really believe that your theory is not believable. Why? You're giving WAY too much credit to NGF for purchasing power. The fact is, they probably got VERY few jap KOF2K carts, just a tiny handful. And according to them they got 100 US carts, but based on their past behaviour they are not believable, so I wouldnt even trust that. So, the cheap Jap kof2K carts are probably just coming from japan, being dumped for a low price due to oversupply.

Don't overestimate NGF's business ability, I think they have NOTHING to do with Buyrite's offer.

RyoGeo

Could be Chimp. As you said, I was just theorizing on how BuyRite came into such a good deal. Who knows. maybe I'm giving too much credit.
icon25.gif

------------------
kof96_ryostance.gif
-RyoGeo

C

Caris Nautilus

I doubt that, What would NGF have to gain? They only got 100 2k carts, and have said about 80 have been sold, maybe all by now.

They would have very little to gain by doing this, unless they plan on making more 2k carts and passing them off as official, in that case it would be fraud and they could be sued
smile.gif

RyoGeo

Like Chimp said, just theory. I was just tryin' to figure out where BuyRite got so many at such a cheap price and concocted this scenario. Keep in mind that the idea is not necessarily for NGF to sell more US KoF 2k's, but liquidate Jp stock that they couldn't sell on their own while also making an end run at legitimacy by preserving the high price of the US KoF 2k. Whew. Long sentence.

Anyway, just weird rantings. And it does make good predatory marketing sense. This is the kind of stuff for which companies are sued all the time. Not that NGF would be sued, as the market on the whole is not there to be manipulated. Were this barrels of oil, there would be crucifixions in Washington.

Don't take any of this too seriously. Just messing around.
icon50.gif

------------------
kof96_ryostance.gif
-RyoGeo

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
Considering that the only difference between the US and Japanese carts is the paperwork and that they've only sold 60 copies of the game (according to that Event Gaming interview), they could have sold the last few carts that they could have "converted" to Buy Rite.

That's another theory... but then again, why complain. You can get a Japanese KOF2K for $199! That's better than the $332 full price I paid for it back in December!
biggrin.gif

djbomberman

NAM-75 Vet
Yeah...I'm happy for those that wanted it and couldn't afford it then and now can afford it. You never know about cart runs. It could have been another Metal Slug 3 or MOTW run? Where there wasn't alot made and everyone wants one. If it had been that way you would be seeing KOF 2K going for $400-$500. Right? Just never know about those carts.

------------------
29406164.gif

---GROOVY!!!---

Shuuchan

Crossed Swords Squire
Your theory makes some sense to me. I dont know if its entirely possibel. Hey if NGF makes devalues Japanese carts all the better! Lower prices for the real fans.

------------------
mendo21.gif

-Shuuchan

S

Silent_Scope

just theory........
So why JPN KOF2K price drops to $199? It must have some reason behind it, right?
Well, I'm kinda happy and sad. I'm so happy that more and more Neo gamers can enjoy the KOF series but I just feel fucked up when I paid full price early this year. Well...at least I've played KOF 2K for months now....but still.....

------------------
Silent_Scope
norikos.jpg

My dream girl....where are you?