Question about which MVS board to get

Sandmanct

Quiz Detective
Ok im almost ready to by my first neo geo system (aside from the NGPC.) I am going to get a MVS board and hook it up to a tv with the Super Nova. I am wondering what board I should get. I am looking at either a 1 or 2 slot one. Which would you reccomend and can you show me the best place to buy it. thanks

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
If you can get a 2 slot,go for that...You get everything in a 2 slot that a home system has X 2 except for the memory slot.
You can hook your joystick up two ways,you have two cart ports,two ways to access audio,you have a dip switch pause feature.you can also hook a switch to that pause and run it to your Super Nova(Why do I always want to say GUN?)
-BB

Sandmanct

Quiz Detective
Ok now I just need to know the best place to buy it. I know I can get it on ebay but is there an online store in the us that would be selling a 2 slot cheap (like under $200)?

Shin Guile X

Mickey's Coach
I am looking at that website to as I am in the same situation as you are. Has anyone ordered from this company?

Venturis41002

B. Jenet's Firstmate
the 2-slot is perfect, and it actually HAS a build in memory card slot. for that reaseon it is the perfect mvs for home use.

and mdgamesales is perfectly allright. i dealt several times with them, and never any problem occured. i would recommend them!

LFO

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Get the 2 slot...You insert the cartridge into your PCB the normal way as a hone system. The single slot has no memory card port and you have to insert the cartrdge into the PCB awkwardly unless you mount the single slot up against a wall.
I have a 2 slot where one of the chips went bad because of this my slot 2 won't operate(have to replace the chip) -BUT- my slot 1 still works meaning no rush for a repair to be made :)
If the 2 slot is out of your budget the 1 slot will do.
You can find good deals on eBay.
-BB

Sandmanct

Quiz Detective
The 2-slot is out of my budget so I would like to know what the diffrence is between those two 1 slots. The one they are selling as new looks like the cartrige sticks in like a normal home system. The other sticks in sideways. Is that theo only diffrence in them? and is the new one worth 50 dollers more than the used one?

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
That is so weird. I have never seen a 1 slot neo geo MVS board where the cart sits vertically. Every single on I've seen up to this point the cart sits horizontally. Anyways, that larger used MVS 1 slot has joystick ports and stereo headphone jack, while the new one will not. That way, everything runsthrough the jamma harness. Hope that helped,

Matt

Sandmanct

Quiz Detective
So the used one should be fine? Thats good I think I will have enough to get the Super Nova, that one slot MVS board, and Metel Slug. If anyone knows of any other good sites that sell MVS games could you point them out for me? Thanks

jefmcc

Armored Scrum Object
I have bought most of my MVS games and a few JAMMA boards from Mike at MDGAMESALES. The games always work and he is a good guy.

Go with the older 1 slot. It has stereo output and I think can hook up a memory card. My one slot is a newer one and doesnt have stereo output or support the memory card.

But... If you can scrape together the money, get the 2-slot.

For buying MVS games, just check out ebay from time to time. Take note of the regular MVS sellers there (there is only a few) and buy from them. Not to hard really. Or make deals here.

[ May 08, 2001: Message edited by: jefmcc ]

Shin Guile X

Mickey's Coach
This forum is great! Just one question. I also want to get a Super Nova but the controllers it comes with have six buttons and the Neo MVS's use four. I keep hearing that you need to connect something to the Jamma harness. Does that mean you just plug in a plug or is it more technical than that? I am still learning so sorry for the dumb question.

Shin Guile X

Mickey's Coach
Also, I have heard that the six slot MVS's are faulty but what about the 4 slot? Do they have a memory card slot, stereo sound and so forth?

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Don't worry about the extra buttons on the Super Nova's controllers...simply put they just won't function. Buttons 1-4 are standard through a simple Jamma connection. Buttons 5 & 6 are added by an additional connection. The Jamma is fairly plug and play...it'll automatically set up the buttons. The only *Real* issue is if you don't happen to like the layout that teh Jamma chooses for you...if that's the case you have to swap some wires around on the Jamma harness

ldalope

New Challenger
i have a HGA supergun, and while the customer service is good, the product is mediocre. The controls are stiff, the buttons are sticky and tend to get stuck, and the screen loses vertical hold when there's major animation. for $500 (HGA = $300 + MVS board = $200), you could buy an entire arcade unit.

i'm actually returning my HGA. i bought a neo candy arcade unit a week ago and i'm getting it in the mail.

Sandmanct

Quiz Detective
I can get a MVS 4-slot for $160, that will work the same as a 2 or 1 slot with the super nova right? Oh and does it have a memory card slot? If not no biggie. And on the super nova controler is there a button to choose which game you well play? thanks