The MVS was first...

C

Caris Nautilus

One thing that puzzles me, is alot of people here think your only "Hardcore" if you own a home system, which is total BS, the only thing your more hardcore at is throwing away heaps of money for plastic games.

What pisses me off is, the MVS machine was FIRST, the home system was a "Copy" of the MVS machine, MVS carts are made first, the home versions are just "Copys" of the MVS version.

Personally I think someone with an MVS unit is much more hardcore than someone with a home system. Since to play an MVS cart, you not only need the system, you need a damn arcade cabinet (or a supergun)! And we all know people that own one in their homes, are the real hardcore.

Having 1300 bucks to waste on a Slug 1 cart (Like that guy did on eBay) is just an example of someone with more money to burn than brains.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I may get up enough courage to show you guys how I enjoy Neo-Geo personally!!
I'll show you what 'HARD CORE' is! :)
-BB

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
NICE ONE! :) I have to be a lil' more careful when replying eh?? :)
I was'nt even thinking like that!
See you had to take the naivety outta me did'nt ya! :/ :)
-BB

Lord Akidadus

Fio's Quartermaster
OMFG what a stupid post. People who spend 1300 on a Metal Slug 1 cart is 99.9% of the time a collector/gamer or just a collector. Who cares how rich they are. Maybe it was Michael Jordan buying the home cart. Who the hell cares. It doesnt matter how fun the game is, it is all about collecting. I am not that big of a collector personally.... But I could see their point.

What does it matter? I have both a 4 slot dedicated and a home cart system. Just play either one. It's all about having fun! So have fun damnit!

:P

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
Bear, you should put your set up on the collecter page. Once I get around to it, I am going to send a pic or two in myself. I find it really cool to see how people play, whether they have cabs or not and, if they do, what kind and where to they have it (in house, garage, etc.).

SoloFenris

Sakura's Bank Manager
No offense, but you can all take the term "hardcore" and stick it square in your asses. It is simply another term that people throw around to attempt to set themselves apart from everyone else. I have been called "hardcore" for various reasons. Owning multiple systems, importing, learning Japanese, etc. But I don't go around calling myself that idiotic term. I am just a gamer. If I see a game or system I like, I buy it. How does that make me different from everyone else? It doesn't. Everyone always wants to go around touting how original they are or some stupid shit like that. Case in point, I was wearing one of my many Hook-Ups shirts one day, and some single digit IQ having stain strolled up to me and said ,"What do YOU know about anime?" As if I had to pull out some kind of fucking membership card to prove to this punk that I was "worthy" to enjoy Japanese animation. I could've schooled his dumb ass and told him I was watching anime before he was even fucking born but I chose to walk away with a snort of disgust instead. Here's a news flash, Shawn has only been collecting carts for a few years now. He hasn't been down since day one like I have. Does that mean I think I am more "hardcore" than he is? Of course not. He's a gamer, just like me. There is one person (name with-held)that thinks the size of your collection and what you have in it defines you. And many of you have said time and again that you hate him. And then these same people act the same and say the same things. Huh.

Later,
Jeff

Laserblast

Hardened Shock Trooper
Gotta respectfully disagree, what makes you "hardcore" is your knowledge and enthusiasm for gaming not what you own. Although people who have a lot of games tend to also have a lot of gaming experience and knowledge. ;) And being "hardcore" does not have to mean being elitist. A hardcore gamer wants to share their enthusiasm with others while an elitist likes to look down on others and feel superior. :( A hard core gamer is a good term IMHO, do you want to be one of those gamers that say 2D sucks and is outdated or all Neo Geo fighters are clones of each other? :p Some of those people work at game publications. :(

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Hardcore to me means playing the 'HARDWARE' by any means necessary!! It's not about owning a better setup than the next guy,NOT AT ALL!! As far as the MS purchase,the game will hold it's value so it's sorta like money in the bank!! It may even increase in value if the quality is all like the seller said it was...
I don't have a problem wit the guy paying the 1300 + It's a bit much than what I believe the game should be worth but hey...
It ain't my money :)
Let's not get bent out of shape on every topic...Nobody's trying to be an 'ELITEST'
There's a place on th einternet where that type of S*&! exist.
-BB

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Um... if you were wearing a Hook-Ups shirt... why would anyone ask you about anime... I mean they are a skate company... I would expect some skate kid to call you a posser or something for suporting a lame sell-out company (haven't heard that in a while :), but not lecture you on how un-anime you are. It just proves how dumb some people are... look it has an anime picture on it so it must be an anime thing...

-Nick

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
It was kinda hard to tell, I mean Jim Lee was hired to do some of the original Hook-Ups illustrations from several years ago and he basically made them look very 'similar' to older Bubblegum Crisis, Tank Police, and Dirty Pair artwork. :(

SoloFenris kind of has a point, I go out of my way NOT to let myself be called a hardcore gamer, because in this area the definition of hardcore gamer seems to be someone who's parents by them every system and game as it comes out and who only enjoys the most current systems. :(

Edit:
Lots of typoes ^_^;

[ May 07, 2001: Message edited by: Neo Rasa ]

C

Caris Nautilus

Sorry guys, was just pissed about something, this was meant as srt of a joke post :)

SoloFenris

Sakura's Bank Manager
The fact that most of you have a different definition of "hardcore" just proves what a useless term it is. I guess I can meet you half-way, sort of. With respect to the Neo, anyone who shows more than a passing interest in a 10 year old system that had one foot in the grave the day it was introduced is pretty "hardcore." How's that?

Jeff

DEVIL_GUI

You can fantasize all day long, believing that you
I THINK IT WAS MORE TO PUT SMART ARSES IN THEIR PLACE.......

I GET ALOT OF ATTITUDE FROM SNOTTY CART OWNERS LIKE LITTLE DSD WHO ASPIRES TO BE dion......

THIS IS HOW IT "IS"
MVS WAS FIRST!
ITS THE ORIGINAL!
CD HAS THE BEST MUSIC!
ITS THE NEWEST!
HOME CART IS WHAT?
.........I REALLY DONT SEE THEIR POINT

NOT THAT MVS OR CD PEOPLE ARE ANY BETTER THAN CART OWNERS........ITS JUST CART OWNERS TEND TO HAVE ALOT MORE MORONS IN THEIR MOB WHO JUDGE HARDCORE ON HOW MUCH YOU SPEND RATHER THAN YOUR LOVE FOR THE SYSTEM....
IE I HAVE ALL CARTS, YOU HAVE NOT EVEN A NEO.....
(MVS IS A "NEO", IT "IS" THE NEO, AND IF HOME CART IS A NEO TOO, SO IS NEO CD!)

"MVS IS JUST AS GOOD AS HOME CART AND IT WAS THE FIRST SYSTEM"

I BELIEVE THAT WAS THE POINT, BUT IT GOT A LITTLE SLURRED BY REVENGE NE?

AND IM APPENDING "NEO CD IS SLOW ON LOADING, BUT HAS COOL EXTRAS AND WICKED SOUND THAT THE CART CAN NEVER ACHIEVE!......SO IT BALANCES"

THE WHOLE ARGUEMENT IS A BIT WACKED IF YOU ASK ME, IM A SNK FAN FIRST AND FOREMOST, I COULDNT CARE LESS ABOUT OWNING ALL OF THE MVS CARTS CDS HOME CARTS ETC.....
JUST THE GOOD ONES!

AND IF I DID BECOME A COLLECTOR, IT WOULD BE JUST THE SNK GAMES.......
DO I REALLY WANT MAJHONG?
AND DO I NEED A JAP MANUAL WITH IT, SERIOUSLY?

BAD GAMES ASIDE, 3RD PARTY GAMES ON A SNK CONSOLE ARE ACCEPTABLE FOR A GOOD GAME COLLECTION ;)

DEVIL_GUI

takuman

, ,
yes
mvs games is the future
because neogeo home
system dead in three
years
I have 102 mvs games
mvs is the future?