Interesting Playmore read...

Mike

Bead Banger
Playmore Keeps Whistling in the Dark! - Stinger Report

Word on the Street
(27-2-03) Attempting to be seen as more than just a redemption and pachinko purveyor, Playmore has released a list of SNK licensed titles that they will be releasing for the console platforms this year. Amongst the line-up however a number of Neo Geo MVS titles were announced:

May 2003 - Shin Gouketuji Ichizoku NeoGeo
July 2003 - Metal Slug 5 NeoGeo
October 2003 - SNK vs. Capcom NeoGeo

As only the Atlus made Gouketsuji Ichizoku (US name Power Instinct: Matrimelee) was seen in a working format during AOU there has been a lot of skepticism regarding the release dates or the availability of these titles. As previously observed by the REPORT, with the loss of Capcom from video amusement, Playmore and Sun Amusement were bound to become bolder about actually promising a date on SNK Vs. Capcom.

It has been suggested that Playmore has not used the SNK name effectively of late, the SNK NeoGeo USA web page only came on stream a few weeks ago, and seems to have been watered down while the representatives continue to try and adjust their legal attack against Gray Importers. This particular offensive seeming to come to a grinding halt with rumors that the first alleged suppliers of counterfeit cartridges were wrongly accused. The name of a once prominent Korean partner (MEGA Enterprises) has been hinted at as a supplier of the games in question; a name air-brushed off of recent Playmore web literature.

The possible merger of Sammy and SEGA caught Playmore off guard, and creating a massive new competitor on both pachinko and video game fronts. The Sammy ATOMISWAVE had already started to erode NeoGeo MVS sales; the possibility of an empowered Sammy/SEGA could prove a dangerous new rival. The dangers of the ATOMISWAVE against a company finding it difficult to keep its Korean partners in tow is an issue everyone at Playmore would like to avoid.

What Could this all Mean
Compounded by legal action with Azure and the possibility of damages being sought by angered distributors pounced on in recent raids, Playmores sudden largesse claiming sequels of big hit games on the horizon (such as a fifth version of Metal Slug) seems more like PR damage control than anything else. MS5 will be the first time that the MVS popular shoot-em-up series will be marketed away from Apple Industries.
Other games hinted at included SNK Vs. Capcom spectacular, have to be placed into perspective. The announcement by Sammy to release Guilty Gear XX: #Reload so close after releasing Guilty Gear X: V. 1.5 shows the pressure to steal the 2D arcade fighter crown from the exiting Capcom and aging MVS, a battle Playmore will feel hard put to.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Wow! I sure hope Metal Slug 5 and SNK vs Capcom do come out. It would be a shame to hype it and then see it all go under due to poor management decisions.

GAMEFAN

toy_brain

Amano's Drinking Buddy
Well, there is nothing unusual about not seeing anything of SNK/Playmore/Eolith games untill a couple months before release - though the statement about MEGA does intrigue me. Its a little vague and I haven't been keeping up with Neo news lately (Just trolling 'Unrelated :D ) so just what did go down between MEGA and Playmore?

aria

Former Moderator
Eh, I think this journalist is trying to sensationalize something that isn't there,

He's making legal assumptions he has no factual basis to make.

He's just trying to get attention with wild speculation.

Things like that make me wish this niche industry attracted good reporting.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
The best part was the last segment, mentioning the Guilty Gear franchise - holy shit everyone should be afraid of a company that only releases one game over and over. God damn, why not make a new Viewpoint, or something new? They just keep making guilty gears and it's as boring each time as another Street Fighter, KoF, or Virtua Fighter.

That's why the arcade industry is dying. Comapnies make one good thing and then rest on their laurels.

S

snkneogeousaCTH

Kinda like what playmore is doing w/ the Metal slug series, beating a dead horse.

What they don't realize is, that most people want new games - hey, I'd rather have a new mediocre shooter, or puzzler for the neo than a rehashed MS5 using the same sprites, etc.

I wish they would figure that out.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
snkneogeousaCTH:
Kinda like what playmore is doing w/ the Metal slug series, beating a dead horse.

What they don't realize is, that most people want new games - hey, I'd rather have a new mediocre shooter, or puzzler for the neo than a rehashed MS5 using the same sprites, etc.

I wish they would figure that out.
Yeah, but what happens if you get something new? Most of the people will still bash it because they aren't comfortable with the game yet. Hell, from a board that bashes games without even playing them, or art work of games that aren't released yet, I think Playmore would feel the heat from a game "all their own" regardless of how good it is.

Plisken

Snaaaaaaake!,
You mean a new franchise and idea, like Rage Of The Dragons, only the 2nd tag fighter with a whole new roster of characters? what happens? bash bash bash.

<small>[ March 23, 2003, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: Plisken ]</small>

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Plisken:
You mean a new franchise and idea, like Rage Of The Dragons, only the 2nd tag fighter with a whole new roster of characters? what happens? bash bash bash.
Yeah, but RotD isn't playmore.

it's noise factory.

I wouldn't credit SNK with Viewpoint or Super Dodgeball now... would you?

snkool

Camel Slug
EvilWasabi:
Plisken:

it's noise factory.

...but then none of the games are made by Playmore.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
I'm intrigued by the Mega statement, thanks for the news Mike

Q

qube

Thanks for the news, it makes me wonder how real the "threat" of the Atomiswave is. I have yet to see one in action, I wonder what it can do and if we should be worried? spock

Greywolf

Angel's Love Slave
<a href="http://www.system16.com/sega/hrdw_atomiswave.html" target="_blank">http://www.system16.com/sega/hrdw_atomiswave.html</a>

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
snkool:
EvilWasabi:
Plisken:

it's noise factory.

...but then none of the games are made by Playmore.
Right. And neither is

Metal Slug 4
Rage of the Dragons
Sengoku 2001
Matrimelee

KoF 2001 and 2002 were joint efforts by Eolith and Playmore. Rumor is that it was mostly Playmore too. So all playmore makes on their own in KoF. The rest are Noise Factory, Evoga, and Mega.

honeyman

Morden's Lackey
Sorry for going slighty off-topic but does anyone have any idea when those Atomiswave titles are to be released in the arcades? I want to play some new titles and not just updates (for example I played GGXX:Reload yesterday but it`s really just GGXX v.2 with Robo Ky. Only one new character :confused: !)

Any info. or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated (and no pointing me off the edge off a cliff!)