SvC Character Roster Speculation

shin-kyo

Lurker, ,
Instead of the usual "who'd you like to see"... lets try to make a list of the MOST LIKELY characters who will be in it, and when the official list is released we'll be pleasantly surprised hopefully.

From what little info I've read about SvC, it seems the title has been under development for a while now (even before SNK went bankrupt) so it seems Playmore has been very quiet about it. I have heard that the game is supposed to be (graphically) between SS and LB in terms of graphics and animation.. which would make sense as those games still look very nice although not as fluid as Garou MotW.

Based on this assumption, here's the guidelines:

Last Blade 2 consists of 20 unique characters (correct me if I'm wrong).
at most (considering the selection of the roster) King of Fighters 2002 contains 42 unique characters (I counted the orochi members as separate because of movelist and general sprite changes, but it should matter too much because this is speculation)

Lets take a rough average of the two games (keeping in mind the fewer the characters the better the quality).. like 30.

30 characters, 15 for each side.
sofar only 6 have been identified.
--
Capcom
Ryu
Ken
Chun Li

SNK
Kyo
Iori
Mai
--

so try to come up with 12 characters from each side, with at least some kind of reasoning why they would be in.
I'll start it off:

Capcom:
Akuma, he's pretty much the ultimate shoto
Guile, from the original sf2 and has also shown up in cvs and motm
Sakura, fan favorite and has shown up in cvs/motm
Bison, the boss of sf
Dan, capcom's parady character which seems to be popular
Zangief, Capcom's original grappler

SNK:
Ryo, AOF figure head
Terry, FF figure head
Rugal, KOF Boss
Geese, FF Boss
Athena, popular kof character that gets a new spite each year cvs/motm
Goro/Clark/B. Mary, i think this could be a candidate for snk grappler
Leona, along with Mary were the most popular for cvs that didn't make it
Kim, because he's seems to be favorite now (at least to the Koreans ^_^

some final thoughts, I think since they decided to go with old school kyo it might mean no characters newer then kof98..

Personally I think they should just scrap wasteful characters like shotoclones.. but if they could save space by making Evil Ryu (palette swaped ryu) with Akuma's moves that would be cool. Also if Ryo is in it I hope they base it off the later KOF games as he has become more unique.

Lastly, IF YOU MUST vote for characters.. just choose ONLY 1, at least that way it is more significant to the discussion rather then people posting lists of what they want to see.

Q

qube

I think that this will finally be when we see a long deserved appearance by Leona* she was in MOTM after all.

Blue Mary I consider to be a no-brainer* one of SNK's most popular leading ladies!

Benimaru* made the cut for both CVS's

Geese* C'mon, he has to be in it, he's GEESE!

From the Capcom side I'm not as sure, and I don't care quite as much.

Probably Guile as he has been a mainstay forever except for the early SF Zero games.

M. Bison* main Capcom boss man.

and **fingers crossed** BB Hood (Bulleta) she is in MOTM so hopefully she'll make the jump to SVC!

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I'm sure Bison and Geese are going to make the cut.

Prolly Guile and hopefully Benimaru (I dig this guy).

Hmm, Terry of course and I think Zangief will make the cut. Kim and Dan will prolly be in there as well.

Wishful thinking: I hope Rock Howard makes the cut. I really like the cahracter design.

Side note: They shouldn't be going back in time like this. FUCK OLD COSTUMES!!! Give us something new for God's sake. We already know it's old school EVERYONE (the art displays all original outfits) but we should be moving forward, not back. I doubt Capcom would let SNK fuck with their character designs but we should at least have new Kyo, new MotW Terry, a brand new Iori, etc.

crying

HEY AND YOU KNOW SOMETHING ELSE??????

Nobody thanked Playmore for keeping SNK's name alive within the title of the game. They would have been real assholes and used "Playmore" but looks like they stuck with the tried and true. I know there was some speculation on this before we knew of the game and nobody seemed to mention it after the fact. :D

<small>[ March 22, 2003, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: FeelGood ]</small>

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Feelgood made a good point with the playmore thing

on topic I'm sure it'll be a combo of the KoF & SF mainstrays

<small>[ March 22, 2003, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: Yung Burnout ]</small>

Liq_Wurm

Krauser's Henchman
On the capcom side
I have no doubt that E. Honda will be in it.
and probably Blanka aswell.

dhalsim remains a mystery and as for the newer characters i have no idea

Spectre

Banned
On the Capcom side, nobody has mentioned Sagat yet. Wherever there is Ryu, there is Sagat. He's a very popular Capcom character.

I'm not as sure as Liq_Wurm that we'll see Honda and Blanka. It wouldn't be the first time they were dropped. They may well be there, being SF2 classics, but they may opt for more diverse characters. Honda and Blanka are pretty boring (imo). I would think Dhalsim is more likely to feature.

Cammy has to be another likely character. She's just as popular as Sakura and Chun Li. She also opens up possibilities for inexpensive hidden characters, ie juli and juni.

Guy. I will be very surprised if Guy isn't included. He's so popular in Japan it's untrue.

My tips for somewhat unlikely attendees that might get used are Strider, Gen, Rolento, Haggar, Morrigan, Ibuki. I can't see more than a very light smattering of characters from outside of Street Fighter/Final Fight however.

J. Max

judas,
I would bet we'll see Haohmaru too. He was in the NGPC version and in CvS2.

Plisken

Snaaaaaaake!,
I'm sure we will see Guy, i hope for Alex - probably the most popular new SF3 character.

For SNK, i'd love to see Rick Strowd and Ralf Jones be rival for Balrog and Guile respectively.

<small>[ March 23, 2003, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: Plisken ]</small>

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
Great topic; My complaint with the other one was just people showing up with huge unlikely lists. I'm not going to add anyone more here because I can't think of any more must haves who haven't been mentioned.

Feelgood - Maybe we shouldn't thank them for not making it Playmore vs Capcom... I think they HAD to make it SNK to have any hope of mainstream sales. They should pat themselves on the back for not fucking up.

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
dmhawkmoon:
Great topic; My complaint with the other one was just people showing up with huge unlikely lists. I'm not going to add anyone more here because I can't think of any more must haves who haven't been mentioned.

Feelgood - Maybe we shouldn't thank them for not making it Playmore vs Capcom... I think they HAD to make it SNK to have any hope of mainstream sales. They should pat themselves on the back for not fucking up.
I agree with your opinion 100%. I thought it'd be cute to just list all the characters ever be created by Capcom and by SNK, especially the realy obscure one like from 1978 arcade games but I thought, we get enough of these unrealistic projections as it is. Nothing worse than being disappointed because expectations are set too high. I'd love to see the NGPC SNK Vs. Capcom roster lineup make it to the MVS version, but if they can't hold the huge lineup I'd be satisfied if it was 2/3 of the 26. The recent splash page for SNK vs. Capcom has me totally pumped!

kelvSYC

NEST Puppet
I'll give a list of 20 characters per side, and give five from each side alternate movelists.

First the home side. Obviously, KOF will be well-represented. The first three spots would go to the main characters:

1. Kyo (a Shin-Kyo and a Kyo Clone movelist)
2. Iori (a normal and Orochi movelist)
3. K'

Then, odds are that at least one member of the "big six" teams will be represented.

4. Terry (a KOF or MOTW movelist)
5. Ryo (a KOF or AOF movelist)
6. Leona
7. Athena
8. Mai
9. Kim

The inclusion of characters from Samurai Showdown, Savage Reign, and Last Blade are likely.

10. Haohmaru
11. Kaede
12. Hayate

Then spots for the villains:

13. Geese
14. Rugal (a normal and Omega Rugal movelist)
15. Billy
16. Yamazaki

The remaining four would be the "surprise additions". I'd say that any four of the following 25 could make it to the roster:

Andy, Joe, Robert, Yuri, Ralf, Clark, Kensou, King, Sue-Il, Shingo, Moriya, Mary, Rock, Benimaru, Daimon, Genjuro, Nakoruru, Rimururu, Ukyo, Yashiro, Shermie, Chris, Duke Edwards, K9999, and Angel.

Now, the visiting squad:

Street Fighter should be very well represented. The main characters:

1. Ryu (normal or Satsui no Hadou movelist)
2. Ken
3. Alex
4. Chun-Li (charged or circle movelist)
5. Guile

Main Support Cast:

6. Cammy
7. Sakura (normal or VS-series movelist)
8. Zangief
9. Dan
10. Ibuki
11. Akuma (normal or Shin-Akuma movelist)
12. Sagat

Darkstalkers could be very well represented as well:

13. Morrigan (normal and Lilith movelist)
14. Hsien-Ko
15. Felicia
16. Demitri

Then the bosses:
17. M. Bison
18. Jedah

The remaining two spots could be up for grabs by the following 15 characters:

Remy, Makoto, Sean, Rose, Guy, Victor, Anakaris, B. B. Hood, Charlie, Cody, Mike Haggar, Batsu, Hinata, Pyron, and Rolento.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Plisken:
I'm sure we will see Guy, i hope for Alex - probably the most popular new SF3 character.

For SNK, i'd love to see Rick Strowd and Ralf Jones be rival for Balrog and Guile respectively.
guile seems so serious to me. Ralf is just crazy with his critical hits.

I see Charlie and Clark as rivals though. It's the blond hair and glasses...

Super Porky

Camel Slug
Does Playmore have the right to use any Capcom character they wish or just ones that are approved by Capcom? I wonder if there are any kinds of stipulations in the license.

JC10001

Zero's Secretary
I highly doubt that SVCC's roster will be over 24 characters. It isnt a KOF game afterall. I'm also willing to bet that typically non-fighting game characters such as Megaman, Strider, Captain Commando, Metal Slug characters, etc will not be included. We are therefore left with the 12 more popular fighting game characters from each side. I would like the lucky 24 to be:

Ryu, Ken, ChunLi, Guile, Bison, Sakura, Guy, Cody, Haggar, Hayato, Jon Talbain, Akuma.

Terry, Joe, Kyo, Iori, Mai, King, Yuri, Ryo, Rugal, Geese, Haohmaru, Nakoruru.

Of course, what I'd like most of all is for Playmore to shock me and include some of the more off the wall characters like Arthur, Megaman, Fio, Tarma, etc (ie a good mix from all genres while still keeping all of the essential people).