MATRIMELEE PLAY TEST

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
ok, today i managed to get my hands on matrimelee at a city arcade heres the rundown (my impressions) so far:

BTW my favourite fighters are as follows to give you an idea of what style of game i like:
sfa2/3, real bout 2 (my no.1), ss4, motw, kof98/01/02, etc

ok firstly characters:
there are at least 19 characters, the 15 announced plus 4 hidden from rotd which some guy playing opened with a code (the afro guy, shaolin looking girl, jones??, and johnny) also i fought what i think is a mid boss called sissy who was hella fukin hard...

graphics:
somewhere between fatal fury motw and rage of the dragons, frames seem a bit low and backgrounds are soso-quite good but the characters seem to move much more fluidly than rotd, that might be a gameplay aspect rather than graphics one though.. the character designs and stances are however cool!! :) and the moves are all pretty cool too! :)

gameplay:
first off - points
-a confusing air system with double jumps, multiple attacks mid air and airblocking which all feels very mvsc. not too bad though...
-responsiveness is better than rotd but not quite motw or realbout2 precision. still combos and supers flow quite nicely.
+everyone has at least 5 or 6 moves most of which are not listed, for example the ninja guy throws bombs and does some other things.
+as i said before the game does not feel quite as tight as realbout 2for example BUT it feels good!!! :) speed is spot on, relatively tight controls, seemingly good damage balance and character balance.

other gameplay points:
when your bar passes into a new level (eg 1-2) you do a ss style bar break power up which acts as a counter and leaves you a little open after it, i have a feeling this could be abused becoz it seems to happen automatically, the opponent could wait for it to happen (by watching your bar) and then nail you after it.... it is quite cool though coz it knocks the opponent back and does a little damage... the reason i like it is it stops relentless assaults aka kof 02 which tends to take the fun out of a challenge.
there are at least three levels of jump similar to king of fighters with short mid and long (trail effect).
overheads are in it of course, rolling is similar to kof with 2 lights and forward or backward.
i dont think it had running just back and forward dash.
o yeah buttons are lp,lk,hp,hk. didnt try two heavies. throws are quite easily countered and done with forward + heavy.

ok a round up and my overall impressions:
i think the game is excellent, with no new ff on the horizon this is the kind of challenge game i look for... the pace and style are similar to motw which for me is much more fun as a challenge game than kof. at this point id say i am definitely looking forward to challenging on this game and exploring its depth and the style of each character....

hope this info helps, any questions welcome :)

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
Thanks a lot for taking the time to write a pretty damn long review.

Did you see any specials performed? Are they really over the top [MvC] or pretty decent, ala MOTW or FF?

Any effects, like backgrounds-changing during Specials?

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Great review, this seems like a very promising game. Am I right in thinking this game has an air combo system? That would be just great, I'd love to see a Neo game with real air combos and not just air juggles.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Crap, I hope this has running. Running = best thing to happen to a fighting game.

honeyman

Morden's Lackey
Having also played it, yes it does have running. Not to detract from this topic, but in the 16-bit forum I`ve also posted some impressions (if brief) of my experiences. If anyone can tell me how I can move that topic from there to here or ask a moderator I would be grealy appreciative.

Thank Ye!

P.S. By the way, new character Olof rules buttrock !

<small>[ March 22, 2003, 02:33 AM: Message edited by: honeyman ]</small>

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
Great to hear some positives! I really think that Noise Factory are capable of good things.

gozu+mezu

Morden's Lackey
Another great game for the neogeo, and another great game for 2003. Seem's that NOISE is becomming more and more experimented with years.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
okay round two.

running=yes and the good news is that kof style rush downs are possible, they may however unlike recent kofs be useful becoz of the slower dps and rolls. in other words you can knock your opponent down, run at em just as they recover go a heavy punch or kick and if they dont block combo it...

c+d=seems to be a kof style knockdown.

supers=not too understated or overstated, these days weve pretty much seen everything but i think most of the ones ive seen (at least 10+) have all been pretty cool. fairly easy to pull off, seem comboable etc.

gameplay does seem to lend itself to comboing, why do i say that becoz the guy i use (the school kid shintaro) seems pretty open after any of his moves... many of the other characters seemed to the same. his dp leaves him open, his feilong style three hit special leaves him open after every single hit (i tried stopping after each hit and got done each time) his super has prolly the best recovery and his honfu style hop leaves him way open. so either he is underpowered or this game requires very precise use of special range.

the powering up is a veryyyyy important aspect of the game, as honeyman and myself mentioned it knocks you back and does a little damage like bar breaking in ss. it also gives you a boost of energy (maybe bout 10%) when it happens so attacking is favoured over turtling (yeah!!!) coz you get a health bonus everytime you power up a level.

air combos=i dont really see them being possible beyond a sf3 style chain in the air, why becoz only a few maybe half of the characters seemed to have air moves so... the air work in this game is however emphasized way more than any other fighter excepting perhaps mvc or gg. why? coz with double jumps (possibly even after an air block, that is jump-airblock-jump), air blocking and the apparent flexibility of air movement it seems a good air game will be important.

what else... well i got quite a few streaks today and think most ppl were pretty newbie like me but one guy destroyed me seeming to get long combos or juggle combos or somthin on me so it seems there is some sort of extended/link combo system in there somewhere....

i am still really excited about this game i just hope it gets a decent arcade following here..

the_colonel

Fio's Quartermaster
Nice info "beelzebubble", its sounding ok as of now. I dig the energy up after gaining levels capability.

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
Wow, great job of summing up what you have seen so far. I am excited to play this!

Setsuna1982

World Her,
gozu+mezu:
Another great game for the neogeo, and another great game for 2003. Seem's that NOISE is becomming more and more experimented with years.
Well, i think sengoku 3 is great but rushed. I mean... they only used 4 or 5 different enemies and it's a 300meg game. Well, they could have made a 600meg game with a LOt better animation and more enemies.

Anyway, Sengku3 is a GREAT game considering it was theis first game.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
ok round three

yesterday i went to a 50 yen arcade (yeah!!) and had a good long play by myself (dont even go there). i chose the characters im gonna concentrate on (the old man, the little kid in the school uniform, shintaro and the monk).

new impressions, the game is very combo friendly but not too much damage from combos from what ive seen so far which is good. some combos i pulled off are with the monk: jumping punch or kick to standing hp or hk or lk to forward lk (2hits) to his yoga with kick special for a total of 7 hits. with the old man i did this fiend combo where you do jumping hk to standing hk to yoga forward with lk (he whips out his crotch rash and slaps you with it and pulls you close, you are momentarily stunned, btw only lk stuns so use lk) as you are doing this move hold back (charge) and after the old man goes through his animation (he is a bit puffed after the move) you can pull of his stress super (back to f with both kicks) which is a rush multi hit combo. its a nice combo.

ok about play, the game is definitely a little loose but not too bad... jumping seems a bit loose as does collision detection like i said before its no real bout 2 but still tight enough to have good versus play and develop some skill... there may also be hidden depth that only extended play will turn up..

finally the sub boss or boss, im not sure which missy is a real fuken beeatch. i dont have a clue how to beat her she is cheap as shit, powers up real quick deals huge damage... her one move in particular where this giant man comes out of a box or something and covers the top half of the screen entirely is soooooo cheap, if she is playable i will be veryyyyyyyyyyyyyy disappointed... i havent even come close to beating her yet so i dont know what happens after that..

thats about it...

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
beelzebubble:

finally the sub boss or boss, im not sure which missy is a real fuken beeatch. i dont have a clue how to beat her she is cheap as shit, powers up real quick deals huge damage... her one move in particular where this giant man comes out of a box or something and covers the top half of the screen entirely is soooooo cheap, if she is playable i will be veryyyyyyyyyyyyyy disappointed... i havent even come close to beating her yet so i dont know what happens after that..

thats about it...
Sounds cheap, but at the same time a hilarious special, except when you are on the receiving end ^_^; Who's the sub boss? Is it Princess Sissy?

Alkanan

Sakura's Bank Manager
This has re-invigorated my passion for this unique title. I'm looking forward to some more reviews before deciding if its worth my money.

Keep em' coming guys. tickled

honeyman

Morden's Lackey
Princess Sissy is the boss. The thing that comes out of Pandora`s Box is a genie-esque version of Double Dragon`s Ababo (or so it seems. Gonna have to look real close next time I play eek! .)

Played as some of the other characters recently. I won`t go into detail about them today because I feel ill :( (sorry!)

Chinnen (the monk) reminds me a little bit of a Dragonball character, but when I actually played as him it took my mind off of that connection. Quite a useful character who seems to summon of chi for some of his attacks. Seems to rip of the Kyokugens from KOF but this is acceptable as the whole game has that comedic feel to it. Max super is a multi-hit combo and can be comboed also (obviously.)

Reiji is your typical Ryu of the game. I like his look though, he reminds me of the stern and strong fighter type (and I know we`ve seen this before but how many do it well?) Seems to have a cool overhead attack where he does an elbow drop followed by springing up with a double-footed buckaroo kick (sorry for the crap terms but I figured that you all played that game at least once as kids. Also it`s the only way I know how to describe this type of attack.) Regular super is a multi-hit combo, MAX is a karate chop to the ground which thereafter has a huge tiger`s head (I think) rising from the ground on impact. Although he`s the regular karate guy in the game, I like Reiji and he has a good look to him.

Annie (spelt correct?) has a strange design for me. Possibly too original to be a classic but not awful either. Regular super has her throw the opponent through what seems to be space before they land on the ground again. MAX has her throw a ring projectile which on impact produces the follow-up. Akin to Dizzy`s beam super from GGXX but not as flashy (but still quite good.)
Small note: In one of her win poses she takes her hood off. I think her character looks a lot better this way. Why didn`t they design her with hair like this oh_no ? (I know it`s not my choice because I didn`t develop it, and so on.)

Finally, Kurara prized 50¥ from my pocket. I think she`s a refernce to Cardcaptor Sakura (or which came first :confused: ? I don`t know.) Her character`s quite good and fun to use. 2 of her moves have her blow a kiss at the enemy which paralyses them briefly (probably due to the attention) and the other has her produce a huge mallet which she either hits the opponent with or strikes the ground, producing a small quake. The mallet move made me think of MVC2 as the game has similar OTT moves (but that`s okay.) Regular super has Kurara shoot magic from her wand which if it hits the opponent it turns them into an animal (e.g a duck or a pig (akin to Ryoga from the Ranma manga.)) MAX I don`t know as I could pull it of but was to bad at playing to get it to connect. She seems to shoot something onto the ground form her wand that then seems to go across the screen and vanish off the other side (kind of like Jedah`s wrist-slitting super from Vampire Saviour. Maybe they`re activated in the same way.) Her victory poses are quite nice. First round win has her change into what seems to be a sports kit, Second round win has her change into a kimono (which she seems to sound very happy about but I can`t understand what she says. Damn spock !) Not a bad character anyway.

That`s all for now. I`ll post again after some more play and when I feel better crying .

BYE :) !

the_colonel

Fio's Quartermaster
Hey "Honeyman" where are you to get access to this game, your in japan right...

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
Wow, very nice, I'm getting a bit more interested in this game. I'll probably pick this one up on MVS after the price has dropped a bit.

Many thanks to beelzebubble and honeyman for the impressions! :D

naitram

The Old Man
beelzebubble:
ok about play, the game is definitely a little loose but not too bad... jumping seems a bit loose as does collision detection like i said before its no real bout 2 but still tight enough to have good versus play and develop some skill... there may also be hidden depth that only extended play will turn up.
This sounds very much like what people were saying about ROTD before it came out. :(

I like the characters and backgrounds better from what I've seen, so I hope it playes better than Rage.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
hey naitram i would say it is a fair bit better than rotd... i looked forward to that like i do all snk fighters then when i first played it in the arcade had one go and never played it again... matrimelee has me hooked for challenges already.........

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Great Review..Thank's for taking the time to write it and post it.
I'm not up on this stuff,but when will it come out for the MVS..or is it out..Cost?
I have an AES but I want it for the cab.

When you see this game at an Arcade is it in a Red dedicated older cab?
Or does it come with it's own Dedicated cab..
If it has it's own cab,is the game in it an MVS cart?
Somebody School me on this.

toy_brain

Amano's Drinking Buddy
Hmm, what is interesting is that, even though the game seems to have a slight ROTD smell about it, it does not seem to have that 'first 20 minutes are cack' problem that RotD was cursed with.

I remember when RotD first came out on AES, a load of people were playing it once and giving up in disgust, only to be told by other forum members to stick with it and sure enough........it clicked.

If Matrimelee has managed to do away with the inital period of 'this sucks' then thats one step up for Noise Factory.

Things can only get better (probably) :D