Capcom is leaving

celebrityfest

Rugal's Thug
magicbox posted that capcom japan is closed and all arcades projects cancelled. no sfa4 sf4 mvc3 well at lease we still have Snk--vs--capcom btw 3-03-03 playmore will have info on the game.

Parallax Abstraction

King's Dry Cleaner
I very much doubt that Capcom Japan is closed. Capcom is overall doing fairly well and I find it hard to believe that they've even shut down any arcade projects, especially in Japan where there's still a market for them.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
As a SNK Fanboy I must admit that Capcom was and still is one of my favorite game companies.

I'm sure they wont close because of funds... I believe more in Nintendo Swallowing them then to ear they'll go out of bussiness. multi_co

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I think that Capcom is mearly leaving the Arcade industry. Nothing more.

As for SFA4? Capcom confirmed years ago that 3 was the last in the alpha series.

Fighting All Stars was canned as well. I was curious about that one. had Strider Hiryu in it.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I'm dubious about anything the Magic Box posts. Until I get official confirmation from Capcom about anything, I'm sticking it in the "iffy" column.

biocat

Kula's Candy
theneocheesewedge:
wouldn't surprise me if they did pull out of arcades. seriously, would it surprise you?
Yea, it would. Capcom vs SNK 2 is still really popular in arcades and so is Marvel vs Capcom 2. Capcom is an asset to the arcade world. It sucks to think they might be dropping out of the game. crying

J. Max

judas,
I just read that Magic Box article, and nowhere does it say that Capcom Japan is closing. It does say that they are planning to "cease the development of arcade business" which I take to mean that they are pulling out of the arcade market. That's really sad. It seems that the only arcade companies that are going to be left are Sega and Namco.

SSS

neo retired
This isn't a surprise. Midway was smart to pull out years ago. Arcades are dying, and have been for the past ten years. I'd rather see Capcom still in business not making arcade games, than Capcom loosing money and then going bankrupt by continuing arcade production.

Torashu

n00b
The way I see it is that Capcom is taking a little time-out from the arcade-business. It was to expect with the recent economical problems.
Not sure if they also cancelled their upcoming Gundam arcade game.
Capcom allstars is still due for the PS2 I believe, just not in the arcades anymore.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
celebrityfest:
magicbox posted that capcom japan is closed and all arcades projects cancelled. no sfa4 sf4 mvc3 well at lease we still have Snk--vs--capcom btw 3-03-03 playmore will have info on the game.
Capcom is just pulling out of the arcade business.

Christ, if Capcom of Japan closed I think there'd be a bit more news on that. :rolleyes:

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
It's a shame they're leaving but with the death of arcadaes being undeniable it's a smart move in the end. I just hope they give us one more arcade game to remember them by. That is if they really are leaving

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
as someone mentioned it says that they are pulling out of the arcade biz... it is true btw becoz it was also covered on gamespot, ign and in famitsu if i remember correctly.

card holder was canned with possible release on ps2 though, capcoms official line was they want to concentrate on the lucrative (money money money) home market.

disappointing news though... no street fighter 4, etc

Stitch Faced Angel

Quiz Detective
Unfortunately, Arcades are a dying breed. Withing the Last 6 months, 4 very popular arcade stores were shut down in my area, one of them due to the DDR machine being too loud (new mall owners from Australia). And they had a SNK machine too! The only things I see that are even remotely keeping the business alive in America is Gameworks, and they need to seriously think about how they run their business. the Card thing they use is just too damn confusing.

But I do find it odd that Capcom would leave the market. I mean, they have some of the most time enduring games in American arcades. But the Japanese Arcade market is earning so much, to do that would have to mean that no one uses there games, or they are earning so much from the home console market.

CHRiZ-77

Gal Ageise's Demon
Goodbye Capcom!!! I won´t miss you, even if that company produced some amazing titles like "SF2 Turbo", SFA3 or the Resident Evil Series...

=> The King aka Capcom seems to be dead, so please welcome the near future...our Pharao aka Playmore/Ex-SNK!!! :D

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
CHRiZ-77:
Goodbye Capcom!!! I won´t miss you, even if that company produced some amazing titles like "SF2 Turbo", SFA3 or the Resident Evil Series...

=> The King aka Capcom seems to be dead, so please welcome the near future...our Pharao aka Playmore/Ex-SNK!!! :D
Sadly there can be no new king when the kingdom is gone, and lets face it the Arcade as well as the gaming experience that went with it is dead.

Mike

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
SamuraiShodownSensei:
Arcades are dying, and have been for the past ten years.
Past 10 years? I think you made a mistake here.

What was then in 1993?

Street Fighter II Turbo was still popular, so did Super Street Fighter II. SNK's Samurai Shodown series, AOF series, Fatal Fury series, and Midway's Mortal Kombat series were all over the places.

Fighting genre resurrects arcade business in the early 90's.

Arcade starts dying around 1997.

Yuri-chan

Armored Scrum Object
I trully respect Capcom for what they've given us. Even if some people here dislike Capcom, you should still give them proper respect... Street Fighter is just a classic and Capcom has always supported the 2D fighter genre. It's a sad day, a very sad one.

As much as I call Street Fighter a classic I have always liked other Capcom series such as Rival Schools and Darkstalkers more.

For us SNK fans, it's still a sad day because a company that supported what Playmore supports now is now leaving. :(

I just hope Playmore/SNK lives on...

rugal2000

, Troll Me, , Cuz I is 3lit3, ,
Yep Arcades started to decline significantly by early 98. In the UK Quazar in the Uk went MIA around mid 97.

I will agree with Rugal2000. We all knew that affordable home game system technology was creeping every so closer with arcade technology, year by year. And with the release of the post 16-bit line of systems like Playstation, N64, and Dreamcast back in the late 90's, the need to go to the arcade and play the latest n greatest megapixel games really started to slide. Now, with PS2, Gamecube, and X-box along with the most powerful PC's ever, it doesn't surprise me one bit that arcades are closing. The poor economy just exacerbates this condition too. Its sad that Capcom will leave the arcade business. They did alot for us in the arcades.

dirtboy69

Zero's Secretary
i really can't see capcom shutting they have always sold well in the home market and i don't know about the acarde scence but i imagine pretty much the same thing

BJMFH

Morden's Lackey
This is sad, if it is indeed true. I still can't see how Capcom would be pulling out of the arcade industry. Shit, Capcom, Sega, and Namco practically are the arcade industry right now.

Yeah, small arcades are a dying breed. But big places like GameWorks are still quite popular. On a Friday or Saturday night the GameWorks by my house turns into a nightclub (a very cheesy, weak club but it's better than nothing). They serve food, booze, have radio contests, hire disc jockeys, and play house music. On the second floor they have a full service bar and pool tables. On the main floor they have a small restaurant, it serves beer too, along with all the "big" games. Some of the women up there are pretty hot too.

I'm usually the loser on the second floor playing all the old school games. Most people aren't there to play the video games. They just like to socialize and shit. But hey, if it's keeping the arcade alive, I'm all for it.

Blaster Keaton

Marked Wolf
Capcom themsleves are not leaving. It's just the arcade branch of the company. they still got a shitload to release this year

>Resident Evil 4
>Dead Phoenix (sequel to the mid/late 80's Capcom joint "Legendary Wings"
>Viewtiful Joe
>Killer 7

Capcom announced that they were out of the ARCADE business a few months ago. it's a shame but in the current climate it was bound to happen :confused:

BlackQube

n00b
It's a sad day indeed when Capcom leaves the arcade business. I remember when i was a wee lad, scrounging around my house for every quarter i could lay my grubby little hands on, just to play this really great game at the local 7-11: Street Fighter II. It's the game that really got me into the fighter scene. In fact, I met and have remained friends with one of the people who also stole quarters from the piggy bank just for the chance to play Street Fighter II. Ah.. the memories crying oh_no frown

<small>[ March 05, 2003, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: BlackQube ]</small>