Takeover of Sega imminent? Details inside...

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
<a href="http://money.cnn.com/2003/02/28/technology/sega.reut/index.htm" target="_blank">http://money.cnn.com/2003/02/28/technology/sega.reut/index.htm</a>

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I hope not.

I second that Sega have to remain a 100% Japanese company.

EA doesn't deserve 1% of Sega's intelecual rights.

And the same goes for Micrsoft. annoyed

Giga Power

Host for Orochi,
Man this is tough.. I want SEGA to stay on their own. But I mean hell, I never wanted them to go Software only either, and look where that went.
Out of the two if SEGA should be bought out, I think it should be by Microsoft. I have been enjoying the vast majority of my SEGA gaming on Xbox anyway, and I think that MS would give SEGA the freedom that has made SEGA who they are, more so than EA. Mircosoft is trying it's best to get a solid lineup going, and I think they would let SEGA do their thing.
Hell no to EA though.
Hell no.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The Sammy thing was bad enough, now this.

I could only imagine what EA would do to SEGA's games if they got the rights to them...

I don't know what to say.

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
I can't really say that this is surprising. Sega has been doing better but they're still struggling, and it was only a matter of time before Microsoft (or EA) came along.

Both scenarios suck, but Sega may be slightly better off with EA because I'll bet Microsoft will just swallow the company up (lesser of 2 evils). It's the typical Micro$oft strategy: if you can't beat them, either buy them out or crush them into submission.

I truly fear for where the game industry is going today, I really do. frown

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
good god.
if EA gets SEGA i m out.
this is so lame.
its unbelievable.
those fuckers wouldnt even make a madden on DC.
those shit heads could fuck off.
from SEGA saying they would surpass EA as a third
party to EA trying to buy them out.
shit.
i d rather have microsoft buy them.
you know they would let SEGA have creative freedom
over what they do.
it would be sad the games that the gc would miss
but really... how many games would that be.

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Almost sad when the best option for gamers is to have Microsoft buying the company.

Peace

JHendrix

Porshapwr

Hardened Shock Trooper
Terrible news.

I grew up playing the master system while everyone had a nes. The Genesis is my favorite system of all time. The Saturn never got the chance it deserved :(

Poor Sega.

I do hope it's Microsoft. At least they would let Sega make the games they usually do. I will die if EA buys them.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
MS doesnt sound to bad. I'd rather have SEGA independant from those comapnies, but money is money.

SEGA has done some good shit for MS and I know that MS has done some good stuff dor SEGA. After all, SEGA has been using MS software for 3D since the Saturn days.

If anything, let it be MS.

EvilMike

Guerilla Warrior
20 Year Member
JHendrix:
Almost sad when the best option for gamers is to have Microsoft buying the company.

Peace

JHendrix
You mean the best option for Microsoft fanboys. Don't call yourself one of us.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I really wish that EA was wiped off the map. Microsoft I don't mind, because I see them as a the lesser of two evils. EA on the other hand, just fills the market with gutter crap. It's a fucking virus.

Plisken

Snaaaaaaake!,
I've boycotted EA bullshit for 7 Years now, if they buy Sega i will be so fucking pissed off, that company has already monopolized the PC market , they churn out Shitty Sports games one after another, Desentizide all the games to be free of violence for Maximum sales, and don;t get me started on those fuckin SIMS games.

This is total bullshit, no company deserves to be fucked around like this, and no one should even have a chance to fuck with the best.

Please, i hope Microsoft gets it over EA, at least MS will leave them the creative talent and freedom, they have already a great track record with each other. I hate both situations but this has to be the best of the two.

EA can suck it.

Plisken

Snaaaaaaake!,
EvilMike:
JHendrix:

Peace

JHendrix
You mean the best option for Microsoft fanboys. Don't call yourself one of us.
'us' you seem to be on your own here.

buster_broon

The Rock,
if its microsoft that is buying sega i personal think its sad

that a company has to stoop to buying up all the rest of the decent programmers just so they can generate sales for the billybox

i think from now on i will call them micro$oft

Plisken

Snaaaaaaake!,
buster_broon:
if its microsoft that is buying sega i personal think its sad

that a company has to stoop to buying up all the rest of the decent programmers just so they can generate sales for the billybox

i think from now on i will call them micro$oft
you would seriously rather see EA buy them over Microsoft?

They would have them make Harry Potter games and lame Sports titles, all the original games would be out of the window, because if it doesn't bring in the money then EA don't want it.

I think EA has a bigger monopoly on the video game market than even Microsoft!

JHendrix

Thats bullshit. I ain't no MS fanboy, they just gave me CvS2 Live and Steel Battalion. Because of those two games I like the XBox a lot more than GC. Not my fucking fault. Go back before this shit happened and read my thoughts on the ye old BillyBox.

Second, its best for us gamers if MS bought them instead of EA. EA would run their shit INTO THE FUCKING GROUND! At least Microsoft would let them go hog wild with cash and let their TALENT make new and unique games for the XBox. I'd be like the next DC almost, just with more funding and the power to maybe take Sony down.

The only thing that'd MS buying Sega would do is piss off all the MS haters (of which we have plenty) and all the GC fanboys (of which we have even more of). So please quit your bitching. I'd rather have fucking Sony buy Sega before I'd have EA get their hands on them.

-JHendrix

PS. No offense to you, but this thread belongs in Unrelated.

Porshapwr

Hardened Shock Trooper
He's right. EA simply does whatever they can to get the most sales. Their games are crap.

At least Microsoft would let Sega be "Sega". I mean, look at all the advertising they did for Panzer Dragoon Orta!

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
This is a dark day in the history of gaming. Sega on the verge of being bought out? Thats Something I never thought I'd hear. Sega,much like our beloved SNK, was a true innovator in the realm of games and to see them at this stage is kind of hard to swallow. As fans I think that we're fucked either way on this one. If EA gets Sega the chances of them royaly fucking up Sega games in near 100%, if Gates gets Sega the chance of great Sega games getting whored for all their worth is near 100%.

Mike

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
I don't see Electronic Arts as any different from Konami, Capcom, Sega, Nintendo, Sony, etc. in that some of their games are good and others obviously are not. Apparently the only reason everyone is against them is that "well they're really big so they must suck."

Frankly for those of you that hate EA so much I'd like to hear some examples of how EA has personally 'wronged' you or stifled creativity. They're definitely not perfect, but I've seen first-hand Microsoft's monopoly in action over the rest of the software industry, and I'm a lot more worried about what THEY would do to Sega than anything EA could do.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Phoenix Down:
I don't see Electronic Arts as any different from Konami, Capcom, Sega, Nintendo, Sony, etc. in that some of their games are good and others obviously are not. Apparently the only reason everyone is against them is that "well they're really big so they must suck."

Frankly for those of you that hate EA so much I'd like to hear some examples of how EA has personally 'wronged' you or stifled creativity. They're definitely not perfect, but I've seen first-hand Microsoft's monopoly in action over the rest of the software industry, and I'm a lot more worried about what THEY would do to Sega than anything EA could do.
They haven't made a good, fresh game since Lakers Vs. Celtics.

buster_broon

The Rock,
Plisken:
you would seriously rather see EA buy them over Microsoft?

They would have them make Harry Potter games and lame Sports titles, all the original games would be out of the window, because if it doesn't bring in the money then EA don't want it.

I think EA has a bigger monopoly on the video game market than even Microsoft!
t an extent i agree - but Sega are Sega and nobody should ever have that title or company name under their belt

ea do churn out shite after shite - but if any of those companies plan a windjammers 2 using beach spikers technology - they have my vote loco glee

i only think Microsoft bought rare because they have a proven 'good game' track record for Nintendo - but they have nothing really decent planned in the short term

Yeah maybe long term with perfect dark: zero, but then Halo 2 will be out and nobody will give a feck about it

anyway mate - i didnt bid on that auction, asked Jon to try and find another one wink wink wink

JHendrix

Phoenix Down:

EA gets a hit series, and then makes countless sequels, each one degrading from the glory of the previous title untill the series in question eventually just runs out of steam. They'd rape Sega's licences and games.

MS on the other hand needs a top notch developer to create games for XBox and well whatever the next XBox is called. As such they'd let Sega just make whatever games were fun for the system. I see MS buying them as basically Sega developers being able to run free and make whatever they want because MS would be feeding the dev teams buckets of cash for breakfast as far as game budgets went.

The only reason people here get mad is because this happening would pretty much force them to buy an XBox to play Sega games. That and it'd be like a nail in the GC and Nintendo's coffin. Seriously what more aside from Square/Enix would make the Japanese buy an XBox?

Thats why people hate the idea of MS buying Sega.

Peace

JHendrix

Porshapwr

Hardened Shock Trooper
^^ Microsoft doesn't have a Monopoloy in the GAMING part of the industry. EA is #1 in this market. Why? Because they produce sports games with 2 minor adjustments each year. Because they buy all of the licenses they can (Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings) and turn them into crappy games (some make out OK). Because when has EA ever created something "original".

Face it. EA is in the business to make money just as any company is. But to me, they produce mass market games that will appeal to the mainstream.

Put it this way. Sega is Ferrari, EA is Ford.

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
EvilWasabi:
Phoenix Down:

Um, ok, here's a short list off the top of my head:

Madden Series
NBA Live Series
NHL Series
SSX
Need for Speed series
Battlefield 1942
Freedom Force
Medal of Honor
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
Simcity Series

...should I go on?

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Phoenix Down:
EvilWasabi:
Phoenix Down:

Um, ok, here's a short list off the top of my head:

Madden Series
NBA Live Series
NHL Series
SSX
Need for Speed series
Battlefield 1942
Freedom Force
Medal of Honor
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
Simcity Series

...should I go on?
You've already prooved me right in my statement. They only release crap titles. Thank you.