KOF 2000 Tournament in California!!!

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
I just saw this listed on the shoryuken.com web page:
--------------------------------------------
The Gameroom at the University of California at Berkeley will be holding a free play day on October 21, 2000 @ 12PM. It will be 3 dollars to get into the door.
In addition, there will be 3 videogame tournaments. MvC2, SF3:Third Strike, and TekkenTag. Tentatively, there will be a KOF2000 tournament as well. 5 dollar entrance fee and the pot will be distributed among top three. 70%, 20%, and 10%
-------------------------------------------

Since I'll actually be in SF when this happens, and I'm actually not that far from the campus via the BART, I'm going to check it out... especially if there's a prospect of a KOF tournament. I would LOVE to see or even get involved with one of those...

Anyhow, just passing the word. If many of us Neo Geo fans show up for the tournament, then maybe they will actually hold one. That would be cool!
biggrin.gif

B

back by popular demand

NGF will be there in full e-f-f-e-c-t!!
Will anyone show?

VinylBoy

Oh goodie! FINALLY, a chance to meet the man behind the mouth. I SURE HOPE your KOF game play is as good as your word....

Wait a minute... if that's the case, then you're sure to lose. Forget I said that.
tongue.gif

Even if they don't do the tournament, it would be my pleasure to take team Psycho Soldier and... how do they say it these days? Layeth the Smackdown? Anyhow, I sure hope you do manage to sell that converted cart... for you and your crew just might need the funds. Make sure you get the full payment in quarters though... no excuses for running away from the machine if I beat ya!

B

back by popular demand

I'll be there. What day will you be there? My team is pretty good. And I have had the game for a few months now, so I am at an advantage. I'll let you pick my team for me. our call. $5 dollar bet?

VinylBoy

Like Terry Bogard, call me "The Lone Wolf"... I'll be there by myself.

Check the first post; all of the madness starts at 12:00pm PST. And just because you may have had the cart for a few months, doesn't mean you have a major advantage. Don't forget that you and your crew will be dealing with over 6 years of ancient Chinese history.
biggrin.gif

Besides, I've already played the game a couple of times and found out EXACTLY what I needed to know about my favorite team. And BTW, I don't make wagers on games... the thought of winning (or losing money) isn't needed by myself to make me play my best. Keep the $5... I'll see you on the battlefield.
cool.gif

Ukyo

20 Year Member
AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! THE FIRE IS ABOUT TO EXPLODE! BAD KARMA...HAS COME TO CALL!

O you bitches are so lucky...I live in
Boston and there are no KOF 2000 machines around here...12/21/00 Baby!

VinylBoy

On the contrary...

I visit Boston VERY frequently, as I occasionally go to do a few DJ gigs and visit friends and family. And I do happen to know that Good Time Emporium in Somerville DOES have KOF 2000!!!
biggrin.gif

All you have to do to get there is take the MBTA Orange line to Sullivan Station. Good Time Emporium is about 1/2 a mile away from the station, behind the now defunct Assembly Square Mall. Rejoice... for once some arcade in or near Boston is getting games on time!

Maybe one day I may see you there... just look for some eccentric looking dude that only plays Team China.
cool.gif

[This message has been edited by VinylBoy (edited October 13, 2000).]

Ukyo

20 Year Member
I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JRock917

, ,
is there anyway to locate KOF 2000 machines in your local area? I suppose its a silly question, but I am dying to play the game. Oh, and I hope you kick NGF's ass.

I

Iori

Vinylboy, I'm behind you all the way. For a killer team, use Iori, Benimaru, K', and Leona. All the psycho soldiers suck so much ass, Dion should be on the squad. LOL

Dion-Fantasizing about Chris being Bao.

VinylBoy

Originally posted by Iori:
Vinylboy, I'm behind you all the way. For a killer team, use Iori, Benimaru, K', and Leona. All the psycho soldiers suck so much ass, Dion should be on the squad. LOL

Dion-Fantasizing about Chris being Bao.

BLASPHEMY! How dare you degrade the almighty Team China!!
biggrin.gif
(hee hee hee)...

Seriously, the main reason why I liked KOF was because of this odd ball team... ever since I saw the three magazine spread on KOF '94 in EGM (back when they were good) I was immediately drawn to the antics of Kensou. The rest is ancient Chinese history. Besides, I've used the same team year after year in KOF... kinda like those who constantly use Ryu & Ken in Street Fighter games.

I always make it a point to play the odd ball and rejected characters... they make for a much more fun game... ESPECIALLY when you win. Why people get so offended when they lose to a character like Chin is beyond me.

Psycho Soldiers sucking ass? Sounds like a wet dream Kensou has about Athena...
tongue.gif
BTW, Bao DOES suck ass... personal choice, of course. As long as I have the original three, I shall be fine. At least I hope...

VinylBoy

WELL... I'm finally back home from a two week stay in San Francisco! But before I went back to the beautiful state of New Jersey (stop laughing), I did get a chance to go to UC Berkeley to attend the video game tournament there... and BOY was I surprised.
smile.gif

First off, for anyone thai doesn't know about this place, then you should. The name of the arcade is called "The Bearcave"... it's a small arcade right in the student center of UC Berkeley, and they seem very open minded about letting in people (regardless if they're students or not) come in to play the games. On Saturday from 12PM-8:00PM, they charged a $3 cover to enter into the doors, but turned on every game to "Free Play"! If you're a major fighting game fanactic, you would realy like it here. They have all the current Capcom AND SNK fighters there. On the Capcom side, they had Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Capcom vs. SNK, Thrid Strike, EX 2, X-Men vs Street Fighter and Alpha 3.

For SNK machines, the only place where I have seen a better representation of games was in the Chinatown arcade in NYC. They had 2 1-slots and 2 4-slot MVS machines. The two 1-slots had KOF '99 and the new KOF 2000 respectively. One of the 4-slots was the dedicated "Bust-A-Move" cabinet with Bust A Move, Bust A Move Again and Puzzle De Pon. Andro Dunnus was the last game on hat 4-slot. The other one had Real Bout Special, KOF '98, Samurai Shodown IV and one game I simply can't remember right now... but regardless, it WAS a good sign for games from our camp.
biggrin.gif

As for the tournament? As usual, not enough people showed up to do a KOF 2000 tourney, but I did manage to play against some very worthy opponents. It's great to receive a good challenge in a fighter like KOF once in a while... between all the free plays on the KOF machines, I took advantage of the Capcom vs. SNK machine and gave a few rounds with my Sakura/Blanka/Terry team. The tournaments in Third Strike and Marvel vs. Capcom 2 were really crazy as usual... the usual suspects like John Choi were showing their dominance in Capcom tournaments with an awesome display.

It was a great way to bring a long business trip to a close... 4 solid hours of game play for only $3, minus the fire alarm that delayed us for about a half an hour. All those in or near San Francisco that need an arcade to play at, you NEED to go there... you won't be disappointed. The place closes at 8:00PM, so if you go you have to make it a daytime thing.. but it's worth it.

AND, BTW... nobody from NGF stepped up to take the challenge as they said they would earlier in this thread. Guess they were too scared to get beaten after all.
biggrin.gif