Sac carts contribute to high prices!

yuckydog

Morden's Lackey
If you can hold off, please try to wait for a converter instead of sacrificing home carts to do conversions. That, in turn, only causes prices to go up on games that should be pretty readily available.

Just an observation,
James

[ January 24, 2002: Message edited by: RyoGeo ]</p>

Dreamh2o

Sub-human sack of shit.
I want home cart prices to go up, that is why I collect them. This is why antiques are so popular, the less, the more valuable. I think its very awesome that you can mak more rare or unusual items from common items, while being an aid to helping the carts become uncommon
wink.gif
twisted thinking I know... but I understand it
smile.gif

yuckydog

Morden's Lackey
Dammit, you also make the games I'm bidding on go up in price.
smile.gif
Sheesh! How about we agree to not outbid each other on different items beforehand? (i.e. I agree not to bid on a certain game if you don't bid on a certain game for me?)

Gambit

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I think Sac carting is a shame. It ruins a completely good game. Its like abortion
smile.gif

HPMAN

UI resident
It's interesting to see people collect neo carts only to wait for prices going up...

I think that's a shame... These people should leave the carts to people who enjoy the GAME, not the PRICE...

I personally purchase carts to PLAY them, I don't care if prices goes up or down (well, down is good for me, I can by more carts
wink.gif
)

Hopefully, you can still manage to get carts for good prices. I got an under $50 Garou Densetsu Special NEW on the way
biggrin.gif

Mentor

n00b
Saying that sack carts push up the price of carts is a value rather than a factual judgement. Atleast 50% of conversions would have been done of carts from ss2 and before's time period. These have hardly risen. Infact they are still dirt cheap. The only rise being in the trend for "euro" insert versions. Heck on 90% of the conversions I've done the MVS cart cost more than the sack cart. The original Fatal fury is hardly in great demand or price ^_^ Yet it will suffise for some conversions.. *which is why I believe someones puzzle de pon & r's price of $600+ is the biggest piece of BS out, but if some1's sucker enough to pay that price good luck to the seller I say..*

Concieveablely in the case of later carts (strikers, ganryu ect) that require a protected cart (name kof 99) it could have caused the trend of a rise in price, but I doubt there were that many conversions. A 100? maybe (These things are hardly sold cheaper, eh?), have to ask someone in the know on this.. Still kof 99 has dropped in price again now, so...
*shrugs* anyway thats my 2 cents..

Mentor...

nick_th_fury

Baseball Star Hitter
Maybe you should do us all a favor and find another hobby then. Antiques maybe? The rest of us deal with the high prices, but sure dont need folks working to raise them.
-nick_th_fury
---------------------
I want home cart prices to go up, that is why I collect them.

Dreamh2o

Sub-human sack of shit.
I for one would rather have two collectable items rather than just one, and since sac-ing is really making another rare cart, its not like throwing them in a fire place. Abortion? Please. Sac-ng is more like cutting off the half of a twin connected at the hip and sharing one heart, so that the other can live, but really lets not forget, these are HARDWARE, not life! This is as good as Bush VS Gore... either you kill babies before they are born, or you kill people once they are convicted... I feel everyone should have a right to be born, sac carts, commit a major crime and get a leathal injection for their actions, rather than being killed in utero... Just my opinion.. I could be wrong.

[This message has been edited by Dreamh2o (edited October 03, 2000).]

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
DreamH2O: The problem your above statement is that is made (or converted) carts aren't really rare at all. You can keep making them and making them until the official carts you can use as sacs run out, which are the real rarities. Every time a Kof95 or FF3 cart gets sacced, that's one less for someone else to get. If you really cared about the neo geo, you would want to preserve all the neo carts. Why don't you buy an MVS with those games? It would be cheaper and would preserve carts for future fans. And anyone who collects something with the intent of making money isn't really a collector, but a speculator. Maybe you should dump neo carts and "collect" stocks.

Matt Gilbert

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
I collect Neo Geo and all other games mostly because I want and like to play them, not for money. I know some people collect Neo's/convert them for sake of $. I understand it. That doesn't mean that I have to follow that suit.

yuckydog

Morden's Lackey
Man, even if you bought an expensive MVS converter for $500-700, it would still be cheaper than converting all the carts you want to the home system. The only problem being that the newer games won't work but !Arcade! is working on that and I hope he's successful because I, for one, will not buy converted carts just to "complete" my collection. Even if you're only out to make money, there's got to be some altruism inside you....

James

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
Well I never considered Neo carts a collectable and 5-15 years from now I do not see them getting these hugh high prices people are thinking they will get so I simply wait on carts. What I have seen is a trend to TRY to inflate cart prices. I say try becuse they are not selling at these high prices. Sure someone will by 1 or 2 but when they resale them it is usally at a lose. WHen it comes to converted carts it's simply a status thing that I do not buy into. I would not mind owning a couple for $100-200 which is what I fell most of them are worth, but when they start off at this hugh high prices they only place they are going is down. To invest in something like that in hopes you will double your money in 2-5 years is foolish IMO. Video games in general are never good investments in the long run.

If someone wants to hack a cart to make it into a converted cart really it's not that big of a deal to me. They may want to play it on thier home system and put it up on a shelf. But I always sit back while I play the same games on my home system and MVS without the Homemade $700 art work
smile.gif
and think about all the money I saved in my neo investments. Which I am sure is more then the profit anyone will make on those converted carts.

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
I will probably never get anyof the converted carts. I am not that desperate or hard core collector enough to collect them-it cost too much. For me, it's accept no substitutes.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
I guess the reason I trip out about price is because I've done very well for myself in the Neo collecting department, but my success is due to patience, and not money.

I was originally planning NOT to buy Neo games when I got my Neo Geo. I bought my Neo STRICTLY for Samurai Shodown and SS2. The Neo I found happened to come with KOF 94 and Magician Lord, so I lucked out with games I didn't particularly need, but being a big Mai fan, it was still cool.

Well after surfing the internet the first time, I happened upon the erstwhile Big Bruno's Gym where I saw Phil's "Neo Geo Room" This freaked me out. I was like, "Wow I guess you don't have to be rich to get a bunch of Neo games!" (not to make a statement about Phil's finances, it's just what I thought when I saw it) and thus my search began.

I've decided to try my best to list my games and what I paid for them, plus where I got them, so you have an idea of why I'm so harsh about people charging alot.

My Original Purchase (Famous Pawn):
Neo Geo, 2 controllers, KOF 94
$300
Additional no box Magician Lord:
$15

Brand New:
Samurai Shodown 2 $250 (either Gamestuff or SNK?)

From Famous Pawnbrokers (Neo from a different location):
Samurai Showdown $100
Fatal Fury $15
View Point $15
World Heroes $15
(I told the store to either sell them to me or let them collect dust for another 6 months until I returned again. Pawnshops deserve it anyway...)

Steve Hanson(controller builder and friend of wonder):
Crossed Swords $10
Football Frenzy $5
King of Fighters 97 $100 (the week 98 came out)
World Heroes 2 $5
(Steve's battle cry: "Dude, get these off my shelf!")

J&L Video Games (internet)
Fatal Fury Special $65
Puzzled $50
BaseBall Stars 2 $70

From Lamagra:
Galaxy Fight
Last Blade
(I trade RBFF1 and FF3 for them, $70 originally Super Sellers)

Large Package From Kyle:
Art Of Fighting 3 $100 (came early)
King of Fighters 96
King of Fighters 98
Last Resort
Nam 1975
Sengoku
Street Hoop
Alpha Mission 2
ADK (gone now)

$500 total for all of the above (crazy deal!)

From Starland Videogames (local store):
2020 Super Baseball $30
Art Of Fighting $28
Art Of Fighting 2 $70 (worth every penny)
BaseBall Stars Professional $30
Blues Journey $30
Fatal Fury 2 $30
King of The Monsters $30
Ninja Combat $32
Riding Hero $30
Super Spy $35 (why??)

From Kevin Floyd:
League Bowling $20? (between $20 and $30)

From Steven Laisch
King of Fighters 99 $75

From Super Sellers:
Waku Waku 7 $235 (my most expensive used purchase)

I don't think I'm forgetting anything...

So, I dunno, around $2500 spent? (calculator uncerimoniously screwed up on me)

Now, I KNOW everybody can't find deals like this, but my point is, if you look hard enough you CAN find good games cheap.

I simply refused to pay more than I wanted to, and eventually all the games I wanted came to me.

Now as John said, if we simply IGNORE pricy resellers they'll go away, or be forced to sell their stock for what people want to pay, NOT what they say the game is "valued at".

Neo Geo is NOT as hot a commodity as we like to think. Many stores can't move Neo carts to save their lives. Check your local pawnshops and used toy stores. You might be surprised at what you find. Even if you bid with caution you can affect what the prices are on ebay. Take the copy of Ragnard/Shinoken that went for $160 recently, that's "supposed" to be a $300/$400 game, but since people were only willing to pay so much, it was cheap.

Pay what you want, not what you're told. Be patient and all will come to you.

Thanks,
Billkwando
utngmlink.gif
http://www.undertheneogeomoon.com

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Not to mention that soon enough there will be inserts amd manuals available for all the unreleased carts, thanks to our Neo Geo Homebrew folks. Also, !Arcade! might be coming out with MVS boxes, so soon there may be no need to sac a cart for a "complete" package.

Thanks,
Billkwando
utngmlink.gif

nick_th_fury

Baseball Star Hitter
Its funny that speculators grab on to anything that seems to inflate quickly in price. I enjoyed watching them lose their ass on basball card stock years back during the strikes. I knew a few people that lost business & a lot more during that. Sometimes people get screwed for screwing others. Karma I guess. I couldnt care less what any of my carts are worth on resale. They are not for sale, ever. I never buy doubles or xtras to sell. If everyone did that there would be plenty of carts to go around. Theyd also stay at much lower prices. Eventually this fad will pass & the inflated cart prices will drop. A lot of carts like MOTW are hot right now, so I don't blame people for selling them at fair market value which is high right now. MOTW is a fairly rare cart imo. Sac'd converted carts are not rare though. Anything you can have made easily is never rare. No one can just whip up an official SNK MOTW so it has value to collectors & gamers alike. A conversion of ninja masters on the otherhand is only worth the price of the two carts, and the labor. Much much less than the real thing.
-nick_th_fury

Robi15

20 Year Member
Let me just put this question in to this depate. Yeah, we sacrifice carts for the conversions. The saccarts we use get more harder to find. They get, let's say, even extreamly rare in near future. Now, my point. Does that mean that the converted carts we do ALLSO gain value? They must be. Or?

Robi15

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
Robi, really The only decideding factor is going to be time. But if you look at the history of converted carts you will see that prices fall over time. They have to. Becuase the price of the source material used in making them fall. You are not just talking about using one neo cart as a sac cart, in fact you can use almost any neo cart as a sac cart. With the exception of the newer games of course. it just is a matter of wiring. and in seeing how these carts are wired from the previous forum, do you think the converted carts are going to be worth more, let alone still be working 5 years from now.

Dreamh2o

Sub-human sack of shit.
Originally posted by Force:
DreamH2O: The problem your above statement is that is made (or converted) carts aren't really rare at all. You can keep making them and making them until the official carts you can use as sacs run out, which are the real rarities. Every time a Kof95 or FF3 cart gets sacced, that's one less for someone else to get. If you really cared about the neo geo, you would want to preserve all the neo carts. Why don't you buy an MVS with those games? It would be cheaper and would preserve carts for future fans. And anyone who collects something with the intent of making money isn't really a collector, but a speculator. Maybe you should dump neo carts and "collect" stocks.

Matt Gilbert

Im not converting every cart I get, I intend to have a set of the unreleased carts, with a few like Metal slug that cant be touched by a common player. You got me all wrong, I play these games, they are life itself. I dont see anyone giving away Neo Geo items to other people... Its not a charity, you do what you like with your carts, my goal is to have every american and Jap cart, as well as unreleased titles. Those people who dont get copies of the possible sac carts and hang onto them, are the ones that miss out. The only justification to wasting 100's on fun games to paly, is that one day, you will have an impressive collection that is worth so much to you, that you wouldnt sell it, and that the world recognizes it as such. i dont collect Super Mario Brothers for the NES, because it isnt worth anything, albeit its fun to play, spending anything on it is stupid as it isnt worth anything. I realize you all may not yet understand this, but a few people do (mainly those with the full collection).

Dreamh2o

Sub-human sack of shit.
Originally posted by Big Bruno:
Well I never considered Neo carts a collectable and 5-15 years from now I do not see them getting these hugh high prices people are thinking they will get so I simply wait on carts. What I have seen is a trend to TRY to inflate cart prices. I say try becuse they are not selling at these high prices. Sure someone will by 1 or 2 but when they resale them it is usally at a lose. WHen it comes to converted carts it's simply a status thing that I do not buy into. I would not mind owning a couple for $100-200 which is what I fell most of them are worth, but when they start off at this hugh high prices they only place they are going is down. To invest in something like that in hopes you will double your money in 2-5 years is foolish IMO. Video games in general are never good investments in the long run.

If someone wants to hack a cart to make it into a converted cart really it's not that big of a deal to me. They may want to play it on thier home system and put it up on a shelf. But I always sit back while I play the same games on my home system and MVS without the Homemade $700 art work
smile.gif
and think about all the money I saved in my neo investments. Which I am sure is more then the profit anyone will make on those converted carts.

Again, I myself, do not hope to "MAKE" money, I feel that Neo will always be valuable, and that It is like a good book collection. they are an asset of sorts, and I want to be one of the few dozen to have the whole set. MVS carts lack the flare of a good case, insert, and manual.

Dreamh2o

Sub-human sack of shit.
Originally posted by Billkwando:
Not to mention that soon enough there will be inserts amd manuals available for all the unreleased carts, thanks to our Neo Geo Homebrew folks. Also, !Arcade! might be coming out with MVS boxes, so soon there may be no need to sac a cart for a "complete" package.

Thanks,
Billkwando
utngmlink.gif

That, my friend would be a worth while venture, and I would support it whole heartedly.

Dreamh2o

Sub-human sack of shit.
Originally posted by nick_th_fury:
Its funny that speculators grab on to anything that seems to inflate quickly in price. I enjoyed watching them lose their ass on basball card stock years back during the strikes. I knew a few people that lost business & a lot more during that. Sometimes people get screwed for screwing others. Karma I guess. I couldnt care less what any of my carts are worth on resale. They are not for sale, ever. I never buy doubles or xtras to sell. If everyone did that there would be plenty of carts to go around. Theyd also stay at much lower prices. Eventually this fad will pass & the inflated cart prices will drop. A lot of carts like MOTW are hot right now, so I don't blame people for selling them at fair market value which is high right now. MOTW is a fairly rare cart imo. Sac'd converted carts are not rare though. Anything you can have made easily is never rare. No one can just whip up an official SNK MOTW so it has value to collectors & gamers alike. A conversion of ninja masters on the otherhand is only worth the price of the two carts, and the labor. Much much less than the real thing.
-nick_th_fury

I belive that everyone has their own deffinition of "rare". Mine is what is the item worth to me, how great does it make me feel to have the item? And most of all, how common is it. Sac-made carts are not common in numbers, I venture to assume and say that there arent hundreds of any unrealeased sac-made carts. Neo Geo games in general are not common. There may be common games for the system, but even Fatal Fury 2, was made in less quantity than say most NES games.

Dreamh2o

Sub-human sack of shit.
Originally posted by Big Bruno:
Robi, really The only decideding factor is going to be time. But if you look at the history of converted carts you will see that prices fall over time. They have to. Becuase the price of the source material used in making them fall. You are not just talking about using one neo cart as a sac cart, in fact you can use almost any neo cart as a sac cart. With the exception of the newer games of course. it just is a matter of wiring. and in seeing how these carts are wired from the previous forum, do you think the converted carts are going to be worth more, let alone still be working 5 years from now.

I for one belive that they will be working, especially when done by Jeff Kurtz. I really dislike it when people give credit to Auto's and Electronics, for being living beings that grow old and die. Function is Function, and if done correctly, they will always go up in value to me. I plant o have a great collection and leave it to someone who will cherish it. Again... just my opinion.

nick_th_fury

Baseball Star Hitter
That is true when compared to somthing like a psx or nes game. All neo carts would be rare by comparison. However, that doesnt make sac carts rare even thouh there are less of them than other neo carts. If you try & buy an official Blazing Star youll have a tuff time finding it and when you do competiotion for it. That gives it a high price. When you try and have a Metal slug converted you'll find it extremmly easy, literally no competion and you can have it made quickly. Since everyone can do that why should they pay a higher price for it. Where is the rarity? The converted Metal Slug is about as rare as that Fatal Fury sac. Thats what I'm saying.
nick_th_fury

------------------------------
I belive that everyone has their own deffinition of "rare". Mine is what is the item worth to me, how great does it make me feel to have the item? And most of all, how common is it. Sac-made carts are not common in numbers, I venture to assume and say that there arent hundreds of any unrealeased sac-made carts. Neo Geo games in general are not common. There may be common games for the system, but even Fatal Fury 2, was made in less quantity than say most NES games.

Dreamh2o

Sub-human sack of shit.
Well they are worth the cost of the sac, the MVS, the art, and the convert fee, if judging by that standard. And to me, the highest costing office game I have is KOF98 at $127.50.... so $170 for the total on a Metal Slug makes it not only the most valuable game I have, but also the only one I was willing to pay that much for so far... its my rarest game.... too me... yadayada..my opinion again...
smile.gif
(I know I should stop posting to this string now...Iv made a big mess, heheh)