OVA SAMURAI SPIRITS 2 Asura zanmaden Vol.1 and 2

SmokeYa

Crossed Swords Squire
Has anyone watched SAMURAI SPIRITS 2 Asura zanmaden Vol.1 or 2? Are they any good? Are they worth buying?

I saw some short clips of the movies and the animation looks great, but the movies are pretty short (30 min) and the prices look pretty high ($35 each DVD). I guess they can't be worse then Samurai Shodown the Movie
smile.gif

The only place I found that sells these movies is CD Japan. Anyone know of any cheaper sources?

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
It's been a long while, but I saw Samurai Sprit anime-it was really awful. I hope its not the same one. I can't recollect the name of the SS I saw. I just remember that it was bad.

Gambit

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Hey speaking of Neo movies has anyone seen the Fatal Fury motion picture. I think its actually pretty good. I also like the song at the end it reminds me of a song from the Karate Kid or some old 80's band. It rocks
smile.gif

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
According to some recent posts elsewhere, those two OVA's are nothing to write home about. They were described as okay; nothing truly stellar in terms of the animation and whatnot. Even though they make a short but complete series, it can, but doesn't necessarily seem like they are incomplete. They also tie into SS Warrior's Rage 1 & 2 somehow, I think it's just with when the storyline takes place, between them or something.

$70 is too much to pay for the two IMO; you may want to look around for them used elsewhere. I knew one place that had them second-hand (like everything else), but they sold out & haven't gotten anymore in since. I'll let you know if I can find them less expensively, but are the DVD's all you are concerned with? I know it was originally on LD, and I would expect on Video Cassette Tape.

Jonathan

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
I have all 3 Fatal Fury videos. I liked the end song of motion picture (#3) too. My favorite is the #2 though-better storyline in my opinion. The FF motion Picture's storyline was a little too far fetched for me. Though I like Terry, it was a bit discerning to see Terry get god like powers in the end and duke it out w/ Mars (Aries)-even if it was for a short while.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
But could you live with either VHS or laserdisc? I don't know what hardware or preferences you have.

Gambit

B. Jenet's Firstmate
If you are looking for Samurai Showdown or Fatal Fury movies just try Suncoast Movie Store at the mall. They have a bunch of Anime type movies. They had both of those movies series too.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Not both I must say. The Samurai Spirits anime "series" will likely forever remain in Japanese only, as the probability of anyone picking it up for domestic distribution are about nil. Suncoat would only have the motion picture, that insult to the Samurai name.

Gambit

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Oh I didn't know there were more than one. Sorry then, I guess the one I saw at Suncoast was the movie then. I wouldn't get it anyway because I'm more into the Fatal Fury stuff.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
If you're wondering, I continue to look, but so far have not been able to find them less expensively. The second-hand place to which I made reference earlier has not received anymore as far as I know, since I check with them frequently and have come up with rien.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Well, that looks to be it, just the Taiwanese version, a pirate I assume. But if the subtitles, packaging, etc. are of no concern to you, then, why not?

SmokeYa

Crossed Swords Squire
That's a good deal Big Bruno. Let me know if they are any good.

I also noticed the Taiwanese versions selling on Ebay. I was reluctant to buy them because they are in Japanese with only Chinese subtitles. I won't be able to understand it! I wonder if there even is a version with English subtitles.

[This message has been edited by SmokeYa (edited October 05, 2000).]

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
I justed needed some samples for taping and I want some new samurai Showdown Footage. So to answer your question, No it realy doesn't matter much to me, although I doubt if it is a pirate version. it is probably more like a SM Record ltd. copy (not made by them of course but someone similar).

For those of you who don't know what SM does, They are basicaly like a BMG here. they buy the right to reproduce cd's but the cd usally do not come with the extra you would see if you bought the first run Japanese Version. the cd music is they same though. And of course the Inserts are usally less eloborate.

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
you know that reminds me, I need to go visit the China towns here again to see what I can find. Last time I went I found all sorts of Anime stuff I have not seen anywhere else, vcds ect. You always have to haggle over prices although it is expected.

eazy

Cheng's Errand Boy
hey smokeya and big b are thouse dvd's based off the samurai showdwon 64 games? i saw shiki on the cover!?

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
Well I have not seen it yet, I will tell you when I see it, But I belive she is in it. i do not know what the other main characters are in the anime though.

SmokeYa

Crossed Swords Squire
Yea Easy. They are based on the Hyper 64 games. The title of the movie is "Asura Zanmaden", which translates to Asura's Revenge. So Asura is a central character.

I read a little about the plot a while back, I know that Shiki and Haohmaru have a baby together, but I forget all the details.

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
Okay will I final got the DVD in and watched it last night. I will have to say that I do not understand Japanese or can I read Cantonese so I can just tell you what it is appears visualy.

It appears that Asura is tracking down shiki To kill her. Shiki seems to go through these stages where she is helpless then trys to kill everyone. Nak finds shiki walking out of a lake one day and takes care of her, shiki then runs off when Asura shows up and later starts attacking everyone, she evens summons the Big Guy (the chained blindfolded guy) to attack Nak but Haoh quickly finishes him. There is No baby and Haoh actually tries to kill Shiki a couple of times (nak stops him). evil nak shows up in a few scenes and Galford and Rimi are in it also. Genjuro has a short first scene where he fights asura but appears to get beat (it cuts to the title when it looks like genjuro is going to get whacked).

now visualy it appears much better then that awful Samurai Showdown movie, it also has a lot better battle scenes in it. and asura is awsome as a bad guy. Only for the true neo fans and hyper samurai fans since there is no english edition though. it was 2 episodes at 30min each. it cost me $18 or so but it does appear to be a HK version.

JRock917

, ,
that does sound so very cool; I got a friend who is an anime nut who has told me about those and other SS anime. I must see it all.

SmokeYa

Crossed Swords Squire
Cool Big B

I purchased the DVD from the same guy. I'm still waiting for it to arrive.

I have friends who can read Cantonese, mabey I'll try to get them to translate for me
smile.gif