!Arcade! vs NGF?

Robi15

20 Year Member
It seems that !Acade! (official company name?) is looking strong. They offer better prices than NGF, in makeing conversions.
Strikes 1945 Plus $599US including conversion,saccarts and the MVS cart. If art is included that I still don't know. Super MVS to home system adapters are on it's way.
Is !Arcade! our new sours of Neo Geo merchandise? Will they make some of NGF's cart prices to drop?

Iteresting to discuss this issue....

Robi15

Gambit

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I would trust them more than NGF simply because I haven't heard any bad things about them yet and the owner doesn't type like he is in preschool like NGF does.

NGF

NEST Puppet
We welcome more choices.
NGF is the higher brand and always will be.

Like going from Bentley to a Ford.
Nothing wrong with either car, just different brands and tastes, as well as resale values.

But we proudly support and endorse all competition and home made projects.

NGF
www.neogeofreak.com

NGF

NEST Puppet
We as fans want to see their inserts and products. We as fans want to see their work.

A Non-Free Web page will be very helpfull
in showing that they can provide these services. Maybe an address and telephone number as well.

NGF
www.neogeofreak.com

[This message has been edited by NGF (edited September 19, 2000).]

Mouse_Master

Support your local Sheriff, ,
Staff member
Please do not resort to insults when comparing the two.... Keep the critisism constructive. This si a good topic to debate, but keep it going in an adult manor.

Anyway, $599 for a Strikers conversion is hard to beat. You would most likely spend that cash (if not more) gathering the necessary materials.... KOF '99 Home Cart, another large home cart like Neo Geo Cup '98 or FF3 and the Strikers MVS cart...

Keith

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
It just doesn't make sense - that's all.
Just add up the parts for Strikers with shipping and you'll see for yourself.

Just belive anything that these newcomers say. Funny thing is, the person selling the magically appeared "Neo Pc Man" also has an "@home" email address.

He's in Ontario, Canada right?
Then he can email "rybostyle@pcc.net" who is now in Ontario. He can verify if this new adapter works with all games, the Strikers, and maybe this Neo Pac Man.
I'll tell "rybostyle" to email him.

I hope the Strikers is for real, because I would like to buy 2 or 3 of them for NGF repackaging....but I doubt it.

Dion - "the GOAT"

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
Hey Robi15, where did you see that post?
It's funny that when you email me looking for Strikers, you tell me that this arcade place has it for that price and then you make this post. I have yet to see how you found that for sale item at the same time you asked me for the Strikers.

It sounds a bit too convenient.

Dion - "the GOAT"

Robi15

20 Year Member
Post 3 under the Topic "New MVS>Home converters goming out?" Scroll down and see..
It sounds wery good. I wanted the NGF Strikes insert/sticker but you NGF ask too much for that.

Robi15

[This message has been edited by Robi15 (edited September 19, 2000).]

Robi15

20 Year Member
Not to start a war, but i seems that the NGF artwork is the main issue here. Many out there can do the Strikes 1945 conversions for a lot cheeper, than 1400 or 1200US as NGF asks for. NGF just puts this beautiful artwork on it and sell it for a lot higher price. The question remains: IS THE NGF ARTWORK WORTH IT?
100's of dollars for a sticker and insert that looks good? In my oppinion, NO.

On the otherhand, I can't judge this. Cause the artwork IS NGF's. Or they get them from SNK as they say. Nobody other has them. And that's why there are people out there to buy converted carts with NGF insert/sticker for a lot higher prices.

Conclusion is:
That the art work is NGF's main reason to by they'r games. They'r source of good income. Until there gomes another designer that designs artwork at NGF's standard.

Robi15

PS! I like other peoples inserts aswell, but NGF's, have something extra.

[This message has been edited by Robi15 (edited September 20, 2000).]

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Then I guess you have never been to Trey's website to look at the FREE inserts and stickers (and some manuals too).
http://nickthfury.cjb.net

Take a look at the Strikers one - it's one of my favorites!

Jeff

[This message has been edited by JMKurtz (edited September 20, 2000).]

Robi15

20 Year Member
Jeff, I have. They look very good. Specially Keith Scroggins inserts. But I have to say that the Strikes insert is not as good as NGF's. In my oppinion I mean. NGF says that they get all the inserts/stickers from SNK's archives. That they are designed by Aruze/SNK in the first place. Well I don't know that but the inserts do have something extra.

They only make small adjustments, they say. Like the correct gamegenre color.
Robi15

[This message has been edited by Robi15 (edited September 20, 2000).]

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
They don't get "digital" files or whatever from SNK/Aruze, they scan flyers and game artwork that's packaged with the MVS cart. I guess you could call that "getting them from SNK", but then anyone could get the "digital" files.

As for correct genre striping - that's an invention of a fan club, known as NeoGeoFreak.com, and is not Neo Geo/SNK/Aruze official. The stripes may match, look better, and categorize the games, but it's not official. It's one man's (or in this case NGF's), "opinion" on how the games should be categorized.

Unless it is a game that NGF produces, develops, and releases, then any touched up insert (or hand created) is by no means official or authentic. It would only be official for the games that they conceive and create, which has yet to happen.

How many times have you heard of someone (collector, whatever) touching up an antique only to degrade the value because it was no longer authentic? It looked nicer, but wasn't 100% original. The same is happening here, and people just don't see it (yet).

For unlreased games though, anything is fair game for home carts, but nothing is official or authentic since they were never brought to the consumer (home) market by SNK, and the consumer, collector, or casual gamer should not be mis-lead into believing they are authentic. The only true authentic form for these games are their MVS versions, which is what I prefer for the unreleased games. I do have some of these on home carts too, but they either have the FREE inserts/stickers/manuals, or none at all.

Don't get me wrong. The inserts (art, cart stickers, manuals, whatever) they create are very nice, and are obviously appreciated by many people. I'm sure they spend a great deal of time working on them. Personally, I like them (never said I didn't), but I won't use them (for released or un-released games). To me, how SNK created their inserts for they games they bgrought to the home market are the way they are supposed to be, errors or not.

Jeff

Mouse_Master

Support your local Sheriff, ,
Staff member
None of NGF's artwork is 'officially' from SNK. Where possible, they usually redo the artwork from a MVS arcade insert or take something totally off the wall and use it for a game (Check out Ganryu, definitely not SNK). As far as the 'genre' stripes, they just scan in the SNK insert, and recolor the stripes. Time consuming, but not hard...

In the case of Strikers, I could not tell you the origin of the artwork for sure, but it is probably a combination of the arcade inserts for the various incarnations of the Strikers games or just a piece of artwork they picked up and decided it would look good on the insert.

I prefer Trey's version of the artwork. The Urban camo is cool, and it sparks up the shelf with the Neo games.... the black SNK US used normally is so boring!
smile.gif
You really need to see them in person!

Keith

Gambit

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Thanks for telling everyone how it is. I know this but I don't think some of the new guys do. It pisses me off when people take advantage of people who don't know any better.

[This message has been edited by Gambit (edited September 20, 2000).]