Madman's Cafe CLOSING!!!

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Apparently Madman's Cafe, long beloved Japanese arcade/game news site, is shutting down...here's text from the farewell message:

The server that MMCafe.com is currently running on, is currently overloading at nearly triple the contracted bandwidth with its bandwidth host. The administrator of MMCafe's server was just told last day about it.

Seeing that there's no way but to cut hosted sites, MMCafe has been given 24 hours to leave.

MMCafe is a heavy site. It has been a lot of trouble to the server, and I'm glad to move out if I can help out the conditions for my Admin friend, who was gratious enough to provide this site space to begin with.

-H. Moriarty
<hr></blockquote>

I think this truly sucks, and I hope he can stage a comeback of some kind. Good luck Madman!!!

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Shawn, you're rich, help him out!
It'll be the end of on era if you don't!!!

EX_Andy

Vanessa's Drinking Bud,
Yeah, it's very unfortunate, though Hank actually made a post to his own forums explaining that he'd put up a temporary version of his site, and that does have someplace to go, though apparently the new place won't allow him to use forums, or some such.

Quote from Hank on his forums
Ok, here it goes.

The server that MMCafe.com is currently running on- myname.net (ala syste.ms), is currently overloading at nearly triple the contracted bandwidth with its bandwidth host. The administrator of my server was just told last day about it.

Seeing that there's no way but to cut hosted sites, MMCafe has been given 24 hours to leave.

MMCafe is a heavy site. It's been a lot of trouble to the server, and I'm glad to move out if I can help out the conditions for my admin friend, who was gratious enough to provide this site space to begin with.

Right now it's been about 10 hours- Most of the packing up is already done, and the DNS info for mmcafe.com has already been set to a different server about 8 hours ago. Everyone should be seeing the change in 1-3 days, depending on their ISP.

As far as the MMCafe will go, it'll ressurect, that's for sure. However, it might not be too soon. There's a few things I need to think of before even making a new site design.

The Server
The server that MMCafe will be moving to will be telnet. I'm not sure if it'll be permanent. It's not exactly fast as people might've figured out during the last time that MMCafe was gone- yes, it's the server where the temporary site was created.

Bandwidth
I'm allowed a good amount of bandwidth per second. I can't say the exact numbers, but its limit is double that of this current server. However, the server might not feel too fast, since its lines aren't Grade-A quality.

Ads
Ok, bad point. The server has ads. Pop-up ads. Good thing is, these pop-up ads don't keep popping up, as long as you don't close them.

CGI
Amazingly, I've been recommended to use CGI often since the server isn't even using 10% of its potential.

SHTML
Eh-oh. This is a problem. I'm not allowed to use SSI/SHTML. Which means, I'm going to have to change the looks of my site. I have only one option in this case, and that's to use frames. The bad part is, I might have to use Inframes as a substitiute, which isn't supported by Netscape 4.X and below. There's also one more problem this makes, and that's... (below)

BBS
I'm going to have to change the Bulletin Board System. This BBS is all based on SHTML, so I'm going to need to find a system which is similar, but uses Dynamic coding with CGI. It's a pity I can't use this same program, but that's also a good thing, since I was starting to feel some limitations on this BBS as a "cgi program".

Note, I have the whole BB System and all its data backed up. So, once we get on the new BBS, I can use the data to give everyone back their post numbers.

In whatever case, the new BBS will be appearing around the weekends, or so I hope.

This current BBS will be gone anywhere duirng the next 24 hours, so as much as may hurt, you'll have to say farewell to it.

I'm sorry that I couldn't write any of this earlier, but it was first thing first to get a substitute server set and back up all data in the site.

-H.Moriarty

[ January 16, 2002: Message edited by: EX_Andy ]</p>

Robert

20 Year Member
mmcafe was a great place which often speak about the neo geo. I'm sad that it will close!

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
Originally posted by Rade Kuruc:
<strong>Shawn, you're rich, help him out!
It'll be the end of on era if you don't!!!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hmmmmmmmm....... ;)

chainsawyak

Raiden's Valet
Madman's Cafe was a good site, it's sad to see it's having problems... It'll be back though. I honestly always thought the Magic Box was a better site for news, but Madman's Cafe was decent, and it would be sad to see it go... The forums there are filled with r0mz kiddies though, it kinda reminds me of a scaled down Orochinagi. I can at least read the Cafe's forums without cringing most of the time...

:rolleyes:

It'll be back before you know it...

[ January 16, 2002: Message edited by: chainsawyak ]</p>

aria

Former Moderator
Did anyone read the invisible text? It sort of told you it was a half truth (you had to highlight under the farewell).

T

trieuminator

Originally posted by Rade Kuruc:
<strong>Shawn, you're rich, help him out!
It'll be the end of on era if you don't!!!</strong><hr></blockquote>

LOL Rade, Shawn can't babysit everyone. He has his own site to worry about. I think he's given more than his share of time and money here.

Devil_Gans

Bu, ,
MMcafe is my most favourite source of fighting game news.Without them,i can't look into the latest fighting games news...

They posted some of the best screenshots of CvS2 when it was first unveiled as well as kof 2k1.The site is a good source of news for those who wants the latest fighting games coverage.Sad to see them leave :(

H

Hakkun

Maybe I'm missing something but... can't MMcafè just change host or server (or whatever)?

C

Caris Nautilus

Sucks their closing, but I never really went to their site, couldn't read the damn font in their nav bars.

Besides they seemed to just post the same news Magic Box got.

Tora Kouhi

Rugal's Secretary
Guys! He's just playing around. MMcafe isn't closing down permanently, Professor-sama is getting new server sooner or later

Jackal

SouthTown StreetSweeper
This sucks... no more daily MMCafe fix for awhile. I look forward to Hank's return.

As for popups... I use POW! from Analog X ( <a href="http://www.analogx.com" target="_blank">http://www.analogx.com</a> ).

I wish I were able to host Mad Man's Cafe... their forums had some decent people in the mix- as for the rOmZ people, I just ignored those guys.

Here's hoping things go smoothly.

If anyone went to MadMan's Cafe today, you'll see a screenshot from the end of KOF '95. Hmmmm.... could it be a possible glimpse into the future? I have a feeling that MadMan's Cafe will return soon, bigger and badder than ever (or a reasonable facsimile, at least).