The "Fighter's History" Games

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
What did y'all think?
I happen to be a sucker of them. I remember seeing it the first time in late 1993 or so. I used Matlok, a rather cool Guile clone if anything.
I have FH Dynamite on Saturn... it's pretty good game.
Sure, there was a big lawsuit and what not... and the game feels like a bad SF clone... but still it's enjoyable nonetheless and definitely a guilty pleasure game. Nice to see Karnov back!

Robert

20 Year Member
I find this game pretty good and ,even if many people consider it as one of the worst fighting game on Neo Geo, it's more fun than other popular games.

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
Well said Robert! Also, aren't the stages quite beautiful?? I think so and it's pretty damn cool how each stage's music will speed up once someone's energy bar reaches 65% or so damage.
Bad clones of SF characters for the most part, but if you're a hardcore 2d fighting fan, you'll at least enjoy playing these type of games.

It died after only 2 games and probably rightfully so. Oh well, it was never that good, always mediocre fun. Still, I liked it.
I always enjoyed FH more then the lame as hell POWER INSTINCTS or TIME KILLERS

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
i like Karnov's revenge / fighters history a lot

sure,it really feels like playing a watered down sf clone,a colossal parody

but hey,same goes for breakers

and the fighters in breakers are the worst EVER,but no one's sayin a thing,cos its RARE and everything...

also,the cover for the jap version of karnov is one of me fave...
gotta love the clown

------------------
29246632.jpg

[This message has been edited by Fran (edited March 12, 2001).]

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
There was a Super Famicom version of Fighter's History, but not FH or FHD, name was something else in Japanese, I don't feel like checking what at the moment.

Anyhow, I played Fighter's History Dynamite, and promptly sold the game thereafter.

S

Silent_Scope

me too.......
I bought brand new cart and sold it after 30 min of game play.......
Game isn't bad but just don't like it.....
....because SF Turbo II rocks at that time
biggrin.gif

------------------
Silent_Scope
norikos.jpg

My dream girl....where are you?

D

DRUNKEN SHAOLIN DEVIL

the backgrounds in fighters history are great.
this game is a true old school classic.
like world heroes,fatal fury special or burning fight.
anyone who was around at the initial time that these where released on the neo would have fond memories of them..
i like them all!.. alot of good old games get a bad rap,mainly because the 3d morons of today werent around at first launch or dont appreciate good 2d cheese.these where great titles in there time.
another great game that i love is art of fighting 3..
this game is very very underated.
and i feel its one of the best.

death to 3d.

------------------
samhain.gif

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
I like also, but not the watered down Nintendo ports. BLEAH!

------------------
-BioMotor_Unitron
lb_shikyohstand.gif

"Oh yeah? Look who is talking, Bushido-butt!"

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
One game I should also mention that I feel is under-appreciated is Aggressors Of Dark Kombat (Gan Gan). Most people hate it, but I have always liked it ever since playing it on MVS for the first time years ago. The characters are goofy and fun, and while the AI may be cheap, I really do not care, as I like it more for the two-player experience against a friend.

------------------
-BioMotor_Unitron
lb_shikyohstand.gif

"Oh yeah? Look who is talking, Bushido-butt!"

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
So perhaps it's worth saying, I hated the game from the day I first played it. I was a huge Capcom supporter at the time, true, but it was just such a terrible game that I couldn't bring myself to play it anymore regardless. Kind of liked that masked clown, but not enough to keep playing the game.

G

gokusama26

Did anyone play that crappy side-scroller on the NES, Karnov's Revenge? It had the Fat guy in it, amd his main weapon was fire breath. Crap in a hat.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
I badmouth Karnov's Revenge alot, but only when compared to the best the Neo has to offer.

I do like the rediculously old-school feel and tit-for-tat Street Fighter rip-off characters.

I think one of the coolest ways to experience old gaming trends is to play the rip off games!

These games were relevant ONLY at the time they were released. Not like Street Fighter 2, that still has a modicum of appeal today, and that has been in arcades pretty much since it's debut.

Games like the original Fighter's History, and Martial Champion take me back to those halcyon days of the early-mid 90's!

!Viva retro!

Robert

20 Year Member
I am surprised by the number of people who like this game.I thought that it would be 2 or 3 reply to this topic but it's not the case.

B

Bobak!

I've always been happy with the game. Karnov is one of my favorite video game characters. Not only has he had his own arcade game (Karnow) and Nes Game (Karnov, very differnt from arcade), but he's also made cameos like in Bad Dudes level one (as the boss).

And he has a cool theme song that's made its way into all his games.

------------------
Bobak!
chen.jpg

You can also see me in the classic SNK game, "Guerrilla War" (known in Japan as "Guevara")

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Karnov, the fire-breathing Russian, that was the same Karnov from the fighting games? I had no clue in the world. Karnov of the NES was an amazing game for me, loaded with secrets, good music, I still like the visuals... only wish I still had it. I was desperate for cash so it remains the only Nintendo game I ever sold, for quite a fair price though.

D

DigiPunk

Steve said:
"I always enjoyed FH more then the lame as hell POWER INSTINCTS or TIME KILLERS "

Time Killers Lame as hell?

I'd have to agree, but I still liked the game. If you remember playing that one in the heyday at the arcades, you would appreciate the cheeziness that is Time Killers.

Still play it on my Genesis. I think it came out around the MK days when Sega was paranoid about blood & gore in games.

TK won't work on newer model genesis like 3. Gotta unplug your CD system, too.

Great game for it's B-movie quality.

I know these sentences are akward, but it's been a bad day for me.

------------------
Look for me in PSO as Flank, or Rolf.
rbffs_duckkingstance.gif

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
Glad to see the good replies! I agree.... this game today does not fare well.... unless you're either a big fan of FH or you're straight up hardcore 2D fighting game lover.

Karnov's music rocks. Period!

I also agree that yes... Fighter's History has that strange but overwhelming "classic old school" feeling that makes me enjoy playing it. It reminds me of the good old days when clones were filing in left and right trying to be the NEXT BIG THING.

Oh yeah.... it also reminded me of the care free days of my life and that is always a good thing to me.

And oh yeah one more thing... it reminds me of the good old days when arcades cost only 25 cents to play!

K

kyoisthekof

The FH games were great! I'm really just an old-school fighter fan at heart...

Just please don't ask me to play Mortal Kombat with you. My girlfriend talked me into resurrecting that cartridge, and that was a massacre. I have FORGOTTEN how to play the game... hehe

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
This is an old one!

But in retrospect...

The original 'Fighters History' reminds me of my days as a teenager... specifically my visits to Knot's Berry Farm...

The fist place I played the original 'Fighters History' was at Knott's Berry Farm...

Every year, at Halloween Haunt...

I'm reminded of it.

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
Wow... this thread has risen from the ashes! LOL.... ahhh yeah sure many gamers ripped on FH.... but hey if ya enjoy it like I did.... more power to ya!

------------------
"Hanzou, this time you better finish it off!"
-Fuuma

Hey that game was pretty cool. I got FH on SNES and it's tight. Regardlesss that it was an "SF clone" I still think it was awesome. FH Dynamite was awesome as well.

Later.

------------------
=*\/*=OrOchiNagI SAiYaN=*\/*=

ONRiP4NoW _\/_

Jackal

SouthTown StreetSweeper
While I'm more into Capcom's and SNK's own stuff myself, the voices in FH/FHD are a laugh riot. Here's what a few of them sound like:

Mizoguchi: "Piss off Piss off Piss off" (???), and "Take a good look at that!" (Taigaa Bazukaa JAA!!!)

Ray: "Baked Potato!" (Big Tornado)

Lee: "Dingo die!" (Senkyutai)

Fei-lin: "Donald Duck!" (Tourou-Zan)

biggrin.gif

I know there has to be a couple samples I missed... BTW, has anyone ever ran across a Global Champion (Kaiser Knuckle) in their arcade? I've not seen it in an arcade by me, but I own the Taito F3 system and the GC cart. It is also quite good, IMHO.

------------------

HIDDEN WARRIOR

Ninja Combat Warrior
Yes i've heard of global champions/kaiser knuckle by taito.never played it though.

I hope data east makes a sequal to fighters history,but I guess its just wishful thinking.

Where I played fighters history,the people there called the big tornado the big potato,which is simular to your version of the name.

some other quotes from the game:
SPINNING WAVE(matlock)
OVERHEAD KICK(matlock)
BALLOON(karnov)
FIRE(karnov)
PICK A CARD(clown)
DOUBLE GERMAN(marstorius)
BALA ROSE(jean)
TI KA KAU(samchay)
POP SO KA(samchay)

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
Wow... I didn't think there would be so many FH supporters! "Baked Potato" indeed. LOL, GamePro once said that too in their FH SNES review.

Yeah, a FH sequel oughta be made. Maybe just for controversy.... or maybe just for nostaglia's sake.

I'd like to see Mizoguchi in the SNK ranks.... sure he's a Ryu rip but I thought he was pretty cool. Matlok was tight as well. The stages in the FH games rules.