What Is this world Coming too!

SerialExperiments

Quiz Detective
hello
I would like to say that i have always been a fan of SNK but not until recently have I purchesed any of their products for home use. But what I getting at is With the demise of SNK USA and Now Sega becoming a third party company the true beauty of hand draw 2-d is taking it's last few breaths and this to me is wrong, and very very sad. To me killing poeple at high speeds in beautiful games like UT and quake 3(as fun as that is) still doesn't hold a candle playing That First game of metalslug. Now maybe 3-d is the now and the future but anyone can make them. the true test of one artistic ability is 2-d and it seemed to be all but dead. So what am i saying in this is...well something i believe has been said many times SPEAK OUT!! send e-mails to Gaming companies and tell them there are people who want 2-d and dont stop buying those titles and maybe the true test of a games artistic merit will not die.

It's just my opinion and I could be wrong

thanks
kevin

------------------
"No matter where you go, you are always connected"
iorigw1.gif

J

j.pusczek

I totally agree with you...unfortunately, the masses, i.e the stupid people that pay 500 for a ps2, are the reason for the demise of great 2d gaming!!! There just truly isnt an real mass market for 2d, and thus sony, is able to control the market, by setting the standard. Only true gamers, like all of us here, can truly appreciate the greatness of snk, and sega.

wjw123

Krauser's Henchman
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by j.pusczek:
I totally agree with you...unfortunately, the masses, i.e the stupid people that pay 500 for a ps2, are the reason for the demise of great 2d gaming!!! There just truly isnt an real mass market for 2d, and thus sony, is able to control the market, by setting the standard. Only true gamers, like all of us here, can truly appreciate the greatness of snk, and sega.

Watch out who you call stupid, Well I did not pay $500 for ps2 - $299 so maybe I'm smart.

I love my Neo Geo and will not give it up again. I also love PS2, just love video games in general.

2-D was really fun - So I second the motion for writing the game companies

SerialExperiments

Quiz Detective
Heh I'm glad to see that i'm not the only one out there who thinks this way.

iori6w1.gif

------------------

SerialExperiments

Quiz Detective
hehe i just have to paste iori in here..sorry this has nothing to do with the post.

iori6w1.gif

------------------

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
There's nothing wrong with an SNK 3D title.I love FFWA,I'll take SNK/SNK Style made games wherever I can get'em 'BUT' don't worry about Neo Geo and 2D because Neo Geo will never DIE!
What would make you think that just because SNK USA closed down and Sega halted production of the Dreamcast would stop the production of 2d??
Don't worry,just enjoy!!
smile.gif

brhead5.gif

-BB

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
I agree. I think I prefer more 2D fighters, because I think most of the developers don't really know how to program awesome 3D fighters yet. My main issue is the quality--it's not 2D vs 3D. I just think that currently, there are better 2D fighting games than 3D (obvious, since 3D is rather still new).

------------------
ffmw_terry.gif

"Come on, get serious!"

Eclipse

Crossed Swords Squire
Unfortunately, 2D is virtually dead. While I and many others here prefer 2D over 3D for a lot of games, even if everyone here wrote the game companies asking for more 2D games, there simply aren't enough of us to make a real difference.

Still, there are some 2D games still being made, even for the Neo. And although I generally don't personally like Capcom fighters nearly as much as SNK's, Capcom definitely makes fine 2D games.

The thing is, as technology evolves, programmers adjust their games to match it. Since 3D games finally started looking good with the Dreamcast, virtually everything is going 3D. (Sorry, I really think 3D should have waited a generation. Almost all completely 3D games on the PSX looked horrible.)

So, with 3D, we lose a lot of the artistic quality that 2D provides - namely finely-detailed hand-drawn art. However, with 3D, we gain another type of artistic quality - cinematic quality. And while I (and I think many others here) are still more impressed with the 2D kind of artistic quality, 3D does provide a different kind of artistic merit that 2D can't do as well.

While I think the virtual abandonment of 2D is a mistake, it seems inevitable. Hopefully 2D will still have a place in gaming for years to come though, as people like us vote for 2D with our wallets - which IMHO is a much more effective way of supporting 2D gaming.

J

j.pusczek

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wjw123:
Watch out who you call stupid, Well I did not pay $500 for ps2 - $299 so maybe I'm smart.

I love my Neo Geo and will not give it up again. I also love PS2, just love video games in general.

2-D was really fun - So I second the motion for writing the game companies

I was calling you stupid, I too have a ps2 and paid retail, for it, I was talking about people selling them on ebay, and people paying 500-1000 for them, when they were hard to find, during christmas for example.
So no disrespect for my fellow neo gamers intended, now lets talk neo!!!!

202lfo

Hi,
i also love 2D games and would prefer them anyday over 3D. and i have to say: there will be 2d games in the arcade as long as arcades exist. (think of psikyo, seibu capcom, snk)
have you ever been to hongkong? or asia in general? the people there are just crazy about shooters and puzzle games and it`s nearly 50-50 between 3d and 2d games. (unfortunately this is a lot different in germayny, where you mostly have only the big 3d arcade games)

and there may be no (or very few) 2d games for newer consoles, but who cares? as long as i have my neo geo and can play a good arcade 2d-action game i'm fine!
biggrin.gif

lfo