Something to get off my chest.... a tribute...

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
Hey gamers, my first post here and I just wanted to say something I been meaning to say for a while. You hope if you're reading this right now, later on take a moment to reply because I'm really curious on to what majority thinks.... the more the better.

SO what is it that I want to speak about? I'm talking about.... perhaps the most underrated 2D fighting series ever..... perhaps the most unappreciated 2d fighting series ever....

You got it dude......

WORLD HEROES!

It kind of makes me mad when people talk about "old school" 2D fighting and WH never ever comes up. Or when people talk about Neo Geo fighters, it's always Sam. Shodown, FF, or KoF.... rarely World Heroes.

I think the series was very good and it had a great deal of potential and the games were actually quite good. I remember EGM raving about World Heroes 2 Jet. I mean, this is a series that lasted 4 games, with each getting significantly better then the previous. That's a near-impossible task.

World Heroes Perfect is the last WH game so far and most likely forever. Kind of sad, I'd love to see a revamped WH game today with all the new technology. World Heroes 3..... sounds damn good to me. In 1996 when no new WH game was released, I felt sad. My favorite series I known, had died.

So when Capcom vs. SNK was announced I was excited to no ends. Although I knew ADK owned WH, I still prayed... but aye, to no avail.

Now don't get me wrong, I like Terry Bogard. I like Andy, Haohmaru (sp?), Joe Higashi, and the rest..... but where's the recognition factor for Hanzou? Fuuma? Captain Kidd? Hanzou is a childhood favorite and I still like him today. I always prayed the day I could use him in a game vs. Terry or Ryu..... his Dragon Uppercut was the coolest special move I ever seen.

Granted the series' engine is outdated and the animation needed work, it still was enjoyable. I pray for the day Hanzou will return to the ranks of the fighting elite, but with ADK nowhere in sight..... chances are next to none....

Oh well, I still have my World Heroes Perfect on my Sega Saturn to enjoy.

What are your guys' thoughts/memories and what not on the World Heroes games?

------------------
"Good Night, Fuuma... Boodayakann!" -Hanzou

Laserblast

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hello and welcome!
biggrin.gif
I have AES World Heroes 1, 2, Jet, and Perfect. It's the only fighting series I have a complete set of on Neo Geo. I always thought they were under rated. ADK had some neat character designs, art, backgrounds, and music. The death matches were too cool, juggling you friends off of electric ropes or spikes was devious fun! Take care and I look forward to see your future posts!
biggrin.gif

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
alright
fair enough

me opinions

heroes 1 was shite,its a fact
slow,pathetic and super cheap

2 was way better:damn fun and original
( death match mode improved,MAD new characters,including my all time fave - the captain ),but dont get me started on how cheap the cpu was...

jet was a bit disappointing,
just 2 new fighters,and they're pretty lame,
i dont like the boss and ehi
why JET?
i was expectin a faster game but realized the jet thing was there cos i could dash...
still better than nowt i suppose...
the game got a nice feel to it tho,
and i love that "athlete admitted" bit with the player lookin super cool on top of the skyscraper

still havent made up my mind far as perfect's concerned
sure,the game is quality,faster,shitloads new animations,desperation moves and all..

but come on,no new fighters !!
basically since heroes 2 they only added 2 !!

neo dio is cool as fuck and i simply adore the english (??) bg...
the one in the dark alley with dwarfs,ghosts...the whole lot

i hate gokuu.....funny how most people still dunno how to fight him in 1p mode...

what else?

oh yeah,ryoko still ISNT bouncy enough...

and err....

oh the worst thing about world heroes ought to be shura

hes so unoriginal and poorly animated....
makes me want to puke

well food's ready and i've run out of things to say...for the time being at least

bon appetite,lads

------------------
29246632.jpg

outsider

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Ah World Heroes. I too loved that series. True about part 1, it was slow as a turtle and the cheapness to it was definetly there(remember people poking you to death with Brocken's(sp?) low fierce?), but I loved it. It was a cool game. Part 2 was great, lots of mistakes fixed. JET I played a little bit, but, it never got all my attention either. Perfect I loved though, simply awesome. That is the only WH I dont own for the AES yet... so if anyone wants to sell me one... hehe (I do have the SS,NGCD and MVS versions though
wink.gif

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
Why "Jet"? Well, WH Jet was released shortly after Capcom released it's latest upgrade: Street Fighter II "Turbo". ADK was still trying to compete with SNK's fighters (which I believe are of higher quality) and of course, Capcom. So ADK tried to "Capcom-ize" the WH series by calling it "Jet".

I've never been a huge WH fan except for Dragon. In fact, I really don't think ADK got into the groove until Ninja Master's, IMHO.

YJ

R

Ryo Sakazaki

I really like the World Heroes it was a great series. It was the most underated of the fighting games. It would have been cool to see them in Capcom vs. SNK. I just have 2 questions. If Dan is supposed to be making fun of Robert and Ryo, so why wasn't he in the game? Also, why wasn't Robert in it?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Ryo Sakazaki (edited March 04, 2001).]

outsider

Benimaru's Hairdresser
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ryo Sakazaki:
I really like the World Heroes it was a great series. It was the most underated of the fighting games. It would have been cool to see them in Capcom vs. SNK. I just have 2 questions. If Dan is supposed to be making fun of Robert and Ryo, so why wasn't he in the game? Also, why wasn't Robert in it?

CvS is only part 1 of the series. There were many people we wished to be in that game that werent, fortunately, part 2 is already underway and promises some more favorites
smile.gif

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
Ahhh... it feels really good to see that some people DO appreciate the series.

Whatever happened to ADK? If they won't make a new WH game, can SNK? After all, SNK published and released WHP on the Saturn, not ADK.

Interesting thing I found out is how many people love Captain Kidd and Kim Dragon.... yeah I think they're cool too, but Hanzou is definitely my favorite.

And as for Jet, yep it was released around SSFII Turbo, so ADK was "Capcom-nizing" their franchise.
I dunno why World Heroes franchise died with PERFECT, because the game was REALLY GOOD. I guess fans shifted more towards Alpha and the more newer 2D fighters. In Perfect, have any of you guys seen Hanzou's HERO move? The 13 hit Dragon Uppercut? MY OH MY! Absolutely gorgeous.

Another thing that kinda upsets me is.... no WH animation unlike SF, FF, or Sam. Sho. I want somebody to do a WH animation SO BAD.
Hanzou in my humble opinion is as good as Ryu or Terry and he has the potential to be more. Maybe I am being a bit bias, but I really see that spark, that leadership, that dominance in him as a character to be on the level at the least, of a Ryu or a Terry Bogard.

I think what someone should do is release a "World Heroes Complilation" on the game systems.... include all 4 games and familiarize the public on the series.... then, launch World Heroes 3 with updated engine, graphics, combos, and sound. Then make an animation for the series.

The rest just might be history.

Yeah, I know 6 years is a LONG ass time to betest a sequel, especially for a franchise to the average gamer long forgotten and lost... but it's worth the investment because I really think World Heroes has more potential then most folks give it credit for. Just the concept of warriors from different time periods traveling to battle is endless......

To end this post, I will list some HERO/Desperation moves I enjoy the most from PERFECT:

Hanzou: 13 Hit Dragon Uppercut

Hanzou: Slice the Shimmering Light (He teleports and lauches himself at you, cutting you up 7 times as each blow a japanese symbol arises)

Dragon: "Dragon's Super Finish" (Taunts and then he runs at you gut blowing you, then punching you to a bloody pulp till the Dragon Kick)

J. Carn: "Fire Blast" (jumps and then pounds fist into ground as one HUGE block of fire comes from the ground, followed by a second HUGE block of fire roaring from the sky... gorgeous!)

Rasputin: "The Secret Garden" (What can I say except without a shadow of a doubt, the funniest move in fighting history. He taunts, takes off his upper robe, rushes at you and drags you into a garden of flowers... MAKING LOVE to you! Then as you try to escape, his hand grabs you back in for more! It's especially harilous when he's doing it to a MALE and the battle is over as it happens because it will SLOW DOWN and you can hear the MALE crying in pain.... politically incorrect; yes. But fun? Indeed!!)

J. Max: Heaven's Blows (Tacklesyou and as you fall, he does a big head crush on your gut and proceeds to throw 20+ footballs at your pitiful gut!)

Captain Kidd: "Pirate Punishment" (He hangs you up in the rafters as you're there immobile as a vulture comes to peck you)

Jack: "Great Hero of the Three Kingdoms" (Sends electricity filling up the entire screen)

Ryofu: "The Giraffe Bomber" (Launches a beautiful flaming beast as the beast glides through the air at your opponent, stunningly beautiful)

------------------

DEVIL_GUI

You can fantasize all day long, believing that you
PITY ABOUT ADK, THEIR SITE ALMOST BRINGS ME TO TEAR......
http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/~adk/

IVE MOST OF THE SITE BACKED UP ON MY HDD INCASE IT DISSAPEARS SOON........
WH IS FUN, 2JET IS SHIT.....
PERFECT IS JUST THAT, PERHAPS BETTER TO DIE PERFECT THAN TO GROW OLD AND CRAPPY, LIKE WHAT CAPCOMS DONE WITH THEIR FIGHTERS.....
BAH THEY DONT EVEN HAVE A STORY ANYMORE.......

DEVIL GUI

PrOzErG

Sacrifice is pleasure, , ,
LOL is that their site ?? LOL ADK is death

------------------
kofKrizalid2Animated9.gif

"Vengeance cuts both ways"

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
steve,mate...

i feel your pain

29345050.gif

[This message has been edited by Fran (edited March 04, 2001).]

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
First off, I don't agree with the "Capcomizing" argument because in Japan, Super Street Fighter II Turbo is known as Super Street Fighter II X, so I can't see that as a reason. And the games came out one month after the other, not WH2J months after the "Super Turbo" name became popular.

As for the series, though, it's still my favourite of fighters ever. I immediately took to the idea of all these warriors from different time periods, like the Hulkamania man Muscle Power, Bruce Lee's best impersonator Kim Dragon, Hanzou, the most famous of ninja and so on. The combo system may not be the best ever but the game was bright & colourful, had nice sound effects, I liked the music, the characters were sort of bulky (in a good way), they had a great cartoony look to them and everything else I could say.

World Heroes, nobody likes it? Well I still enjoy playing the original, defeating this intruding alien self-professed as the strongest ever. World Heroes 2, ahhhhh. What a game! Fucking cheap as Hell but so what! It's got one of my all-time favourite intros, the music is through the roof, combos got crazy, not even Rugal proved to be as cheap as Dio, the new boys added quite a lot, and for a long time this was my favourite game. Also why I half destroyed one of my joysticks.

World Heroes 2 Jet. As I once said elsewhere, and I quote:
"ADK=originator of the tournament fighter

Let's think about this for a minute. In 1994, it was World Heroes 2 Jet with its Tournament of the Ages" that brought us fighting game freaks the world's first tournament fighter. WH2Jet was released 26 April, 1994 (and what a treat! a day before my birthday) while The King of Fighters '94 was released 25 August, 1994. So it was SNK who copied ADK's revolutionary idea, though SNK took it one step further and debuted the team battle idea, which Capcom then "borrowed" and altered, with a bit of a WWF edge to it.

And while we're on the subjet of ADK's ideas being used, World Heroes 2 Jet must have been quite highly regarded by SNK, as they completely ripped the format of the game and implemented it into the game which was Geese Howard's last stand: Real Bout Fatal Fury. A single fighter vs teams of 3, with boss battles following the four tournament matches, only WH2Jet had a couple extra single matches. ALSO, and correct me if I'm wrong, but it was the first fighting game to rank the player with battle points, in general a grading system, which the Fatal Fury series adopted the next year, and which we now see in Capcom vs SNK. I just had a flash memory of seeing that system in another fighting game, but I can't think what game, if anything.

So, next time you pop a World Heroes game into your cabinet or home system, think of all that ADK did for the world of fighting games, and give them a moment of thanks.

Neo Bomberman"

The instruction booklet alone had me fallin off the chair laughing. I wish at times that the teams could have varied a bit, although I liked pretty much everything new in the game. And the points system. Really made you work for a good rating, instead of an arbitrary number up in the millions that most no longer care about.

Perfect, I never got to play that much of. Unlike the other three, which I played hugely in the arcades, and plenty of the first two at home, the machine that housed WHP did not keep it around so long, so I never got my fill of it. Even so, to date it remains the only series I ever experienced in the arcades, over the years. I liked what I have played, and burst out laughing when I had that crazy maniac Jack, who got sucked into the Secret Garden, and I remember him, eyes bulging out and all (I think), trying with all his might to claw his way out, only to get pulled back in and to see little hearts flying. Oh the memories.

For all that it's worth, for all the hilarious dialogue & win quotes, for the nutty endings, the vibrant colour of both the characters in addition to the backgrounds, only otherwise found in the Alpha series (though this did it first!), for a combo engine that works well even today, World Heroes is the most underrated fighting series on the planet, and is quite worth owning.

Apart from a few Pocket titles that didn't cause the company a rebirth, I think ADK's last game was Twinkel Star Sprites, or maybe OverTop. Such a sad state of affairs, and even Twinkel Star Sprites on the Dreamcast (Saturn version as well?) was published by SNK, so I have a feeling that somebody who wanted to could in fact pick up the series, and deliver World Heroes 3 to the world.

Neo Bomberman

SoloFenris

Sakura's Bank Manager
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by outsider:
CvS is only part 1 of the series. There were many people we wished to be in that game that werent, fortunately, part 2 is already underway and promises some more favorites
smile.gif

Where? Where have you guys seen this information on Capcom vs. SNK 2? I haven't seen anything, not even an announcement about this game. What I do see is a bunch of people saying they have seen it but not where. Where have you guys read about this game? Please point me in the proper direction.

Later,
Jeff

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
Neo Bomber, great memories you had of the World Heroes games. I remember my first time.... while my brothers and his friends were playing SFII I was busy playing WH to my heart's content.
And yes, Rasputin's Secret Garden is a damn funny special move....

Such a shame such a series went unappreciated and underrated as WH did. And such a shame it died in 1995.... just when 2d fighters were getting more and more crazy/flashy.... WH with today's advance game engines and super elaborate special moves.... it'd rock big time.

Long Live the World Heroes!

------------------

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
Welcome. I am also a fan of World Heroes series. Yeah, as for "Jet", they termed that because they increased the game speed--prior to that, WH series were notorios for being slow. It was a nice change like STF 2:Turbo.

------------------
ffmw_terry.gif

"Come on, get serious!"

DEVIL_GUI

You can fantasize all day long, believing that you
WH2Jet was released 26 April, 1994 (and what a treat! a day before my birthday) while The King of Fighters '94 was released 25 August, 1994
-----------------------------------
I DONT KNOW ABOUT THAT REALLY, I MEAN THE RELEASE DATES ARE PRETTY CLOSE......I WOULDNT IMAGINE THEY COULD HAVE PULLED OFF THE ENTIRETY OF KOF 94 IN 3 MONTHS.....

PERHAPS LUCKY COINCIDENCE ON THE SAME IDEA, PERHAPS ADK SAW SNKS NEW IDEA AND RIPPED IT IN PRODUCTION AND SHOVED THE "JET" ON TO GET A FASTER RELEASE
wink.gif

.......AND NO PROZERG, ITS NOT FUNNY YOU RETARD!
DEVIL GUI

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
well said gui,

its not fuckin fun

wheres my lord 2??????

no laughin matter

------------------
29246632.jpg

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
Place another vote for the World Heroes series... this is one of my favorite fighters for the Neo Geo. At one time I did own World Heroes 2 Jet, but I foolishly sold that cart away. I'm certain that I could possibly find another one of those games laying around in the future... WH2J also allowed you to select characters in regular, strength and speed mode, which I think is a first for fighters in general, alongside those crazy death matches.

World Heroes Perfect is one of the best fighters I ever played. Every character had their own quirky, weird fighting style and there was plenty of action. Someone already pointed out the hilarious antics of Rasputin and his "Garden Of Love" super, and I also got into characters like Erik, C Kidd, Ryoko, Mudman (WHOOO HOOO!!), Brocken, and Gokuu. I would love to see some of these characters return in a future SNK title, or in CvS2.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DEVIL_GUI:
WH2Jet was released 26 April, 1994 (and what a treat! a day before my birthday) while The King of Fighters '94 was released 25 August, 1994

I'm not sure I really get what you're saying. SSFII X was March '94, WH2Jet was April '94, and KoF '94 was August '94. The last fighter SNK released prior to Rugal's debut was Art of Fighting 2, in Jan/Feb. 1994, so there was plenty of time. .... oh wait, okay I get what you mean now. For all I know SNK may have conceived the whole team battle thing before even ADK thought of making a tournament fighter, or secrets may have been traded, yadda yadda I don't know, but I think the tournament thing was probably realized separately and implemented into the two respective games as they were, that is, in different formats. It's Real Bout & 2 Jet that really show the similarities. At least SNK got an idea from ADK for how a tournament fighter might do in the arcades, though for me The King of Fighters is different enough not to be a total ripoff of the idea, no matter who thought up what first.

Ukyo

20 Year Member
Yeah, I just picked up World Heroes and World Heroes 2 about a month ago for Home Cart. I remember seeing WH in the arcades when I was younger...I just remember Raputens gigantic magic hands throw move, HAHA, I just got that image burned into my head ( Those sprites were HUGE for '94!)...so yeah it was a real treat to play it again. I find my self humming that WH2 character select music all the time! LOL
smile.gif

-Ukyo

[This message has been edited by Ukyo (edited March 05, 2001).]

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I find my self humming that WH2 character select music all the time! LOL
smile.gif

I'll tell you, you're not the only one! I really love character select screen tracks, and that one is still one of the very best ever.

B

Bobak!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Neo Bomber Man:
I'll tell you, you're not the only one! I really love character select screen tracks, and that one is still one of the very best ever.

I think the character select tune from KOF2k is great. The more I listen to it, the more I notice the little beats they mixed together. I've really learned to like it a lot.

------------------
Bobak!
chen.jpg

You can also see me in the classic SNK game, "Guerrilla War" (known in Japan as "Guevara")

Lou Gojira

Enemy Chaser
Has anybody had the character select music from KOF 2K remind them of the character select music from Real Bout 2? Maybe it's just me. It doesn't matter though, I think both soundtracks are great.

Hey Bobak, you oughta' hunt down the KOF 2K CD soundtrack if you don't already have it. I think you'd really enjoy it.

lou_preview.gif

www.fanscene.org

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
Originally posted by Lou Gojira:
Has anybody had the character select music from KOF 2K remind them of the character select music from Real Bout 2?

its true
was thinkin the very same thing meself the other day....

wish i had the soundtrack cd,anyway

------------------
29246632.jpg

I

Iori

Originally posted by VinylBoy:
At one time I did own World Heroes 2 Jet, but I foolishly sold that cart away. I'm certain that I could possibly find another one of those games laying around in the future...

Vinyl, I'm willing to sell my JPN version. email me if yer interested.
My $.02 on the series, WH1 was great in '92, but holds no candle to any of the KOF's. WH2 kicked ass, improved Death Matches, great BG's and much improved BGM's. WH2J, why did they recycle the BG's from WH2 and only have one BGM in the 2P mode? and no Death Matches? bad move, not even the revamped movelists can't save this one. Everyone who doesn't like KOF'97 should complain about jet. WHP, never played it. Still no Death Matches or new characters, but hallelujah, WH finally utilizes the D-button and characters now have DM's. I'd like to get my hands on this one.

------------------
vicecharge.gif