It's about the games ?

searchingtom

NEST Puppet
I played my first video game when I was 41 years old - Madden '95 for the Sega Genesis. I loved those games, and the Saturn games. The first time I played an SNK game was an import Metal Slug - what I still consider to be the best game made. But I wasn't sucked into the Neo Geo scene until I innocently picked up a discount copy of King of Fighters '99 for the Dreamcast ($9.99).

Sucked in I did get, in the 6 months ensuing that purchase I invested in about $2000 worth of games and equipment. I went the MVS route because of the home cart game costs. When the Dreamcast came out, I slowed down a bit, sold my super gun and bought a 29" inch cabinet with a 4-slot (good decision).

Then it happened again ! I bought KOF 99 for the cabinet and discovered I really missed all those KOF games. So now with the advent of the AES2 I am stocking up on home carts waiting feverishly for the new system.

I get surprised however when I read the posts on this forum (by the way, this is the best forum I have ever found for any game system or genre). It is like reading a WCW soap opera ! It's the NWO and Goldberg (love that guy) all over again..

I can understand getting pissed off if you get ripped off. I have been ripped off a couple times and I learn from it. Not to make myself so vulnerable in a business transaction. Move slow, use small dollars, investigate reputations, and realize you're not dealing with WalMart here, some guys will just be tough to deal with.

It's not about how much they cost, or how pretty they look, it's about how they play ! The pure genius that is in some of these games. The science and art that came together. The evolution, the creativity, the competitive juices that flow from challenging your friends to a friendly game of fisticuffs !

As a community we are trying to keep SNK alive to fight again. We must see the next generation of games... KOF 2001, Metal Slug 4, Last Blade 3, Samshow 5, Garou 2, and more !

It does not matter what platform they ultimately are on. The X Box could be a great platform if the games could be better displayed there.

There is something in our nature that sets us apart from the 3D flash and twitch guys. Let's make sure we have a place to practice that in the future !

SNK must thrive. We must help it.

Thanks for listening.

searchingtom

PrOzErG

Sacrifice is pleasure, , ,
Yeah but the thing is how can we help SNK survive ??? Anyways this is my favorite forum too its almost a drug to me.I enjoy seing some ppl still enjoy this forum like me and dont try to destroy it like some ppl do.I hope you have a great time playing Neo games and other systems HAVE A GREAT TIME IN THE FORUMS HERE
smile.gif

------------------
kofKrizalid2Animated9.gif

"Vengeance cuts both ways"

[This message has been edited by PrOzErG (edited February 25, 2001).]

Ukyo

20 Year Member
Searchingtom,

Oh man, thats a great story...first game you ever played was Madden 95 in your 40's! Well, Im glad you got away from shit like that and into the Neo scene.There was no going back after that import Metal Slug was there? LOL
smile.gif

-Ukyo

CORE

n00b
great post searchingtom. its great to have you here. I agree with you, its all about the games,and I will do whatever I can to keep them coming.

hupplark_39

Kabuki Klasher
Hi Search
Well done in your post, I too am in my late 40's and love this system ever since it came out. This is truly the 2-D KING and always will be. good luck with your collection hope you get them all. hupplark_39

searchingtom

NEST Puppet
Dear PrOzErG, every time I see a new Volkswagen Beetle I think of our beloved Neo Geo. I owned two Beetles in the seventies, and they were reliable, relatively cheap, cold as hell in the winter, but good traction.

Now surprise surprise (sound like Gomer Pyle) the Beetle magically reappears reinvented ! That is what I hope can happen to our pride and joy.

We must educate the uniformed of what makes these games supreme... artwork, strategy, uniqueness, style (Metal Slug !!!!), gameplay, gameplay, gameplay. I can play Metal Slug 2000 times... I can play Dead or Alive 20 times. These new games are like one-nighters ! All shiny on the outside, and crazy for a night - but not someone you want your Mamma to see ! Ha ! How's that for an analogy !

Keep up the spirit, flaunt our games, because they ARE the greatest, I know, because I have played everything else. These games are a like a fine wine. Boones Farm is Ok in college, but now I drink a good Merlot.

KOF 2001 is under construction in Korea I believe. Let's make sure we ALL buy one. Too expensive !!! Do what I do. My wife would kill me if I kept writing checks for hundreds of dollars, so what I do is simply take $1 a day, and fold it in my wallet. That will give me enough money for one new cart a year. Then I have a huge change bank. Throw in all my change. That is another $300 a year, and now I can buy two !

If we all bought 2 a year, we could keep them alive - until they can thrive...

Keep the faith PrOzErG ! We are not alone. Quality ALWAYS rises to the top !

searchingtom

searchingtom

NEST Puppet
Great job on the MS review PrOzErG ! Just read it. I will probably end up buying 10 copies and store them in 10 different places just to keep the potential to play that game alive !

Ha ! I must be crazy.

PS Can't wait to play MS3 !!!

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by searchingtom:
I played my first video game when I was 41 years old. The first time I played an SNK game was an import Metal Slug - what I still consider to be the best game made. But I wasn't sucked into the Neo Geo scene until I innocently picked up a discount copy of King of Fighters '99 for the Dreamcast ($9.99).

HELL YEAH!!!
its always cool when
some one
discovers the joys of
SNK!!!!
welcome aboard
man!

------------------
99clark.gif

HEEEEEYYYYYYYY!!!!