COMPLETE mvs kits !

marquees,flyers,posters.....

every bit as desiderable and collectable as home carts

if not more......

so you see last resort ( example ),
mvs cart only,12 dollars

last resort complete kit 200 dollars

and you see those "hey i'm a gamer,me!"
persons spendin absolutely SHITLOADS money on them complete mvs carts...

and then they start buyin Pop n Bounce and Flip Shot cos "they're rare,man!!"

hehehehe....

the neo.....

a drug.....

can turn even a mvs geezer into a right collector !!

wink.gif

------------------
32800274.jpg

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
Only morons pay those kinds of inflated prices on MVS games, only to realize that 90% of MVS carts are HK bootlegs and most materials and artwork is copied anyway... people don't realize that the MVS market and the home cart market ARE NOT comparable, the MVS price guide is, to me, worthless because MVS carts are NOT collectible in the same sense home carts are (don't mean to knock the author, its a good guide, but not really needed in my opinion). MVS carts ONLY go down in value, except for maybe 5 games or so that have been artificially inflated from what these people pay on ebay.

It's the same people who think the best place to get MVS carts is ebay...

nick_th_fury

Baseball Star Hitter
Geddon thats not the point.
It is a bitch to collect mvs.
You find me a complete Gururin with all official art, with original box that matches the serial # on the cart. All in mint.
Bet thats a tall order.
Now do the same for popnbounce. hehe

Hell, it took me weeks to find one for a great price ($30) with no art, & the serial# cut off. Mines not a bootleg though, so thats all I wanted.

The point is, I can find common homecarts in shitty condition all day long. Mvs is even easier. But when you start wanting it all, your difficulty goes way up.

As far as price guide, well thats all opinion obviously.
I think they are all a good idea gone wrong.
The only time I see any of them being useful
is to retail stores that woulda sold their older homecarts like metal slug at MSR price.
Instead they slap em up on ebay & refer to the price guides as evidence that it should sell for 1000+

IMO, the best service Shawn could do the neo
gaming communitty would be to hit the delete button. & take em all down.

The master list is very helpful, the others are questionable at best.

------------------

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Are you saying 'GAMERS' want to become collecters??
If this is the case,I disagree.
All I want to do is play the game.
I want every game available for MVS eventually that I can just play the hell out of whenever I feel like it.
Artwork?? It can be reproduced...
The case?? A VOID has now been filled as far as serving an appropriate storage and I can build a nice library.
It's that simple for a 'GAMER'
A collecter does'nt rifle through their games like a 'GAMER'if at all
A collecter sits on his/her stuff and collecting becomes an INVESTMENT.
Thisi sthe opposite for a 'GAMER' I collect because I want the game at my finger tips and I don't give a *^*^*^ about the value of my games...as long as I value them..

-BB
http://www.netreach.net/~scop
MVS cases available EXCLUSIVELY at that site!!

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BIG BEAR:
Are you saying 'GAMERS' want to become collecters??

are you talkin to me,?

look...

dont take it that way

one can have a mvs,
one can be a gamer,

but still....might want to have nice marquees and posters?

what the hell is wrong with that?

or now,
if you want a nice poster,
you're immediately labelled as a "COLLECTOR"??!

i only have home carts

i dont like mvs

so doesnt matter if i'm blindin good at kof,
or gekka,or nam,or lord,or whatever

i'm a collector

surely we cant always generalize?

S

SUPERNAUT

The appearance of a MVS doesn't bother me. OK if you forced me to stare at it then I would just think 'horrible square thing' but it's the lovely game inside I really want. I guess some people like the complete package when they buy a game, which is fair enough as thats how SNK intended it. Its all down to personally taste. Personally I'm a 'as long as it works I'm happy' kind of guy.

E

ElettroMakumba

Ehi Fran... tanto per dire qualcosa anche io,
per quale scelta dovrebbe optare un collezionista per i giochi solo MVS?

A)carte convertite.
B) un adattatore per usare la cart MVS sulla console.
C) niente.
D) comprarsi il cabinato.
E) picchiare quelli della SNK fino a convincerli a produrre una home cart.

Fammi sapere che ne pensi

Peace

PS. Ultima aggiunta alla mia collezione ... Stakes Winner 2 ..
(anche se è ancora in viaggio dal lontano Japan)

[This message has been edited by ElettroMakumba (edited April 28, 2001).]

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SUPERNAUT:
The appearance of a MVS doesn't bother me. OK if you forced me to stare at it then I would just think 'horrible square thing' but it's the lovely game inside I really want. I guess some people like the complete package when they buy a game, which is fair enough as thats how SNK intended it. Its all down to personally taste. Personally I'm a 'as long as it works I'm happy' kind of guy.
AGREED.
I feel that an MVS owner should NOT getr a bootleg game. If you can stay away from the bootlegged games. you can provide your own artwark (what's official anymore these days?SNK is hangin' on by a thread)which will make your cartridge look nice anyway you see fit and the case...
This is the SIMPLE PERSPECTIVE I can give you from my end.
You don't have to shell out hundreds,thousands of dollars to have nice things...
The only thing I have a problem with is BOOTLEG carts! People have helped us identify these and that's great...the rest does'nt matter because artwork and a cardboard box is 'NO BIG DEAL' to the gamer wehn he/she can make up for this part on their own.
-BB

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
Well, I am primarily an MVS collector. By that, I mean I am collecting them so I can PLAY them.
wink.gif
My primary interest in keeping any of my games in COLLECTIBLE condition is because if I keep them in good shape, their playable lifespan will be longer.
wink.gif

I have some home carts, yes, but as soon as I find a good scanner, out the door they go, except for a couple with sentimental value. Or unless I do not yet have them on MVS.

For MVS carts, the thing I am most interested in getting with them is a mini-marquee that is in decent shape. For extras, I plan to get some of Big Bear's cases. For inserts, I really do not care if they look official, I just want to make some that look nice. Moves stickers, full-size marquees, etc., are nice extras, but not necessary.

------------------
-BioMotor_Unitron
ani_u_tan_kun.gif

Coming To Theatres This Summer: Chimps Packing Heat: The Movie
pm_segalogo.gif

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
My perspective from being a 'HOME CART' person was I had to be picky on what games I wanted to own...I mean I really have to be in love with the game in order for me to keep it because I personally did'nt want $300.00 sitting on my shelf and I was'nt getting any use out of it so I would sell it.
If I was still a 'HOME CART' enthusiast my collection would consist of 10 Neo Geo carts MAX!!! With the decision I made to go PRIMARY MVS I don't have this problem.
I get a NON-BOOTLEGGED CART(hopoefully),dress the damn thing up,sit it on the shelf and forget about it until I feel that urge to play.The bottom line is 'IT's THERE' I don't have to boot up some EMU or deal with all that other PC BS to play...
I rig up an MVS board,hook it to an RGB monitor and I'm 'GOOD TO GO'
I LOVE IT!
-BB
MVS CASE= http://www.netreach.net/~scop
EXCLUSIVELY!
-BB

S

SUPERNAUT

I gotta agree with bigbear. I try and keep away from MVS copies as much as I can. It was unfortunate as I only recently discovered there were bootleg carts(only had an arcade cab for 6 months, the whole thing is very new to me)and I've ended up with a bootleg game by mistake. For the newbie spotting a copy is difficult. Thanks to the advice from the people on the boards,I am much more aware of the signs to look out for so I can stop this problem appearing again in my games collection. The case idea is cool even just from a functionally point of view as your cartridges need to be protected from dust. I'm not to into the inserts as thats not really why I buy the game. I could see why its a bigger thing for people with home cartridge systems to have inserts, artwork, etc. If I shelled out that much for a game, I'd want everything that it had originally to. If you want to do the same with an MVS cart then why not? Its all down to personally taste.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
A dilemma I was faced with being a 'HOME CART' owner.
I love Metal Slug and I'd be willing to pay $800 for one,maybe $1000 if I had it like that at the moment( you know how we go up'n down in life pay scale wise? :> )
Okay I purchase the cart for $1000 and I am HAPPY AS EVER!! How can I sit down in good conscience and play this damn thing without being EXTRA CAREFUL??? I mean I don't want to depreciate the value by spilling something on the manual or dropping the cart and cracking the casing,etc....
That's NO GOOD for me..I just go get the MVS version and PLAY..PLAY..PLAY...
I don't want to sit and look at the game,I want to play!
NO FEAR!
-BB
http://www.netreach.net/~scop

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
One thing that shocks, and somewhat irks me, is when people act suprised or ripped off when they order a game (especially from overseas distributers, and even moreso from HONG KONG distributors) and wind up with a bootleg cart. There has been a lot of talk about authenticity of MVS carts on this board recently. In certain situations (such as getting a beta version of garou with no endings), people have a right to be angry. But hey, thats the MVS world. Carts smell like cigarettes, are usually beat to hell, usually come with copied art (just good enough so there isnt a hole in the marquee) and full of fakes. The people who worry about it tend to sorta draw a parallelism between "fake home carts" and "fake MVS carts." The truth is, in the arcade market - and this goes for EVERYTHING, not just NeoGeo - 99% of all arcade games' value is DIRECTLY related to if the game makes money on location or not. The reason MVS carts are naturally cheap (again, with a few exceptions) is because nobody wants to play them anymore! Now why are there so many bootlegs? The answer is simple, they are easy and cheap to move. Why pay $650 for Sengoku3 when you can get a bootleg copy for $100 or less? That's $550 more profit for you, and you won't lose your shirt if the game tanks on location (which is a distinct possibility given the nature of neogeo in non-Japanese arcades nowadays).

Given the fact that MVS carts aren't collectible in the same sense home carts are (ie, a realistically unlimited supply of MVS carts, their value tied to their profitibility) it seems nitpicky to worry about things like authenticity or complete art packs. If you want to collect "complete" games, go for the home carts. =)

Basically, my argument is that it's fine to want to have authentic, original art for your MVS games but it is unreasonable to assign a massive premium to paper materials like we have done with the home cart market, because the two markets are so different.

One more thing to think about - 99% the people who sell these carts to us "NeoGeo fans" know NOTHING about the home cart system. They think we are all just another arcade op looking to try a cheap new game on site, so why should THEY care about what we think about authenticity, as long as the game plays and makes us money?

Just my opinions.

[This message has been edited by Geddon_jt (edited April 28, 2001).]

Ill post my thoughts in the form of a small conversation I had with Dion when he tried to push me to buy one of his US KoF 2000s.

"Dude, I dont care about inflated prices for collectors. I just want to play the f****n game, thats why Im just going through SHawn and getting the Jap version. There are better things to spend your money on than a game, when you can get the exact same thing for$3-400 cheaper.... I just wanna play the game, man."

Dont throw stones at me because of even talking to Dion. He was the only name I knew when I got back into the scene recently. THank God someone passed me a link for this site.

::Edit::

WHile I know this discussion is about MVS, and that was about home carts, I also buy MVS games when the prices drop. The above was the best way to sum up my thoughts.
------------------
iori%20king%20small.bmp

Angels who are forced out of Heaven have no choice but to become demons.

[This message has been edited by Shin Yagami Sama (edited April 28, 2001).]

C

Chubby Groundhog

Here is what the fat rodent has to say! I bought a shitload of MVS games in the past few months, if they came with a Japanese sticker, I wrote which game is was with a black marker on the label. My own personal opinion: collecting is worthless. I don't think I could have the balls to tell someone I paid $1000 for a game. Geeze I'd be pretty hard up to say I paid $400. But whatever floats your boat. I don't give a McFuck about what the game looks like on the outside, its what appears on my T.V. that counts. So you guys keep blowing your money on collecting games! WTF is the point of having a game you will never play? You guys sound like serious dorks: "I want my game MINT, no scratches, no bends in the manual" I'll take a game in any condition...as long as it plays its fine with me! AXE the price guide! All it does is confuse consumers into thinking their collection is the shit! Metal Slug is only worth $1200 to a dumbass who is willing to spend all that money on a game they could buy on MVS for $50, think about it. Why don't Super Nintendo games go for these prices? I really don't see what the big deal is! Go ahead and collect...its your hobby. I like my MVS games...

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Well a few things about all this.

First, I disagree with Geddon's assessment that "90%" of MVS carts are bootlegs. I have quite a nice collection now, and not one is a boot. I bought from Ebay and Cosmicco mainly, and haven't encountered a fake cart yet. The best thing to do is communicate with the seller (whether Ebay or Cosmicco, or anyone else) about the MVS cart(s) you are purchasing BEFORE you send your money or bid. In the case of Cosmicco, I always asked for complete U.S. carts with artwork, and thats all I got, although in some cases the serial numbers had been removed from the cart labels (MSX and NitD).

Second, It IS much nicer to get the artwork with the MVS cart. And the box even too, if possible, because to me this was the way the arcade carts were packaged. Arcade artwork is really cool, the mini marquee and the (usually) two larger marquees really give the game an "arcade" feel, which I like.

I was actually lucky to nail a few really nice carts complete (box and all, but no large marquee), such as Shock Troopers and Pulstar. To me, its cool to think that this is exactly how the arcade cart was sold, so I am getting basically a complete arcade cart.

Third, you guys have to SEE these carts, with their artwork, put into Big Bear's (and SHOCK!X2's) MVS cart cases. They look AWESOME! I just got my cases last night, and put about 10 carts in them to start with. I slip the two larger marquees in the front and back of the case sleeve, and then leave the mini marquee inside the case, with the setup sheet and long move stickers (if I have them). Only thing it would be nice to have right now would be spine labels, to make it easy to distinguish the carts on the shelf.

Anyway, the bottom line to me is, its nice to get the artwork with MVS carts when you buy them, just takes a little more effort and maybe a little extra money. To me, its worth it all the way, as I like to have these carts in their original form, just as the arcade operators would have gotten them brand new.
biggrin.gif

G

GBITCH

Origionally chanted by ELECTROMUKUMBA:

"Ehi Fran... tanto per dire qualcosa anche io,
per quale scelta dovrebbe optare un collezionista per i giochi solo MVS?
A)carte convertite.
B) un adattatore per usare la cart MVS sulla console.
C) niente.
D) comprarsi il cabinato.
E) picchiare quelli della SNK fino a convincerli a produrre una home cart.

Fammi sapere che ne pensi

Peace

PS. Ultima aggiunta alla mia collezione ... Stakes Winner 2 ..
(anche se è ancora in viaggio dal lontano Japan)

[This message has been edited by ElettroMakumba (edited April 28, 2001).] "

ay mahn, why you nah speak fuckin inglis on dese deh na pages.Me nah wanfi pay fi no translator.Just watch it na dread.

E

ElettroMakumba

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBITCH:

ay mahn, why you nah speak fuckin inglis on dese deh na pages.Me nah wanfi pay fi no translator.Just watch it na dread.[/B]

Sorry, man, my post was to Fran and he understands italian language.

Peace

PS
Very hard your english .... ah ah ah ah ah!!

[This message has been edited by ElettroMakumba (edited April 29, 2001).]

G

GBITCH

Origionally Chanted by a Electromukumba:

"Sorry, man, my post was to Fran and he understands italian language.
Peace
PS
Very hard your english .... ah ah ah ah ah!!"

easy na dread, mi understand, mi na wish fi create na fuss nor fight, it a tuff bein a rasta.Anyway mi bredren, U a ani relation to a samantha mumba, mi a love fi get mi hand pon her saddle sacks dem.You smoke ganga?