Sammy vs SNK

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
An interesting stinger report:

<a href="http://www.casbox.com/Stinger/Sting131.html" target="_blank">http://www.casbox.com/Stinger/Sting131.html</a>

Herzog Drei

Ace Ghost Pilot
So Sammy is developing games for Playmores new hardware...

..i didn't get it WHY there should be a "vs."! spock

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
I actually think the Atomiswave is sammy hardware with ex snk people working on it hoping to replease the Neo

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
Sammy developing for playmore's new hardware? Where in that article did it say that?

Anyway I guess the SNK employees want new hardware just as much as the fans do. Playmore doesn't want it though. Ain't that bout a bitch.

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Playmore's new hardware is going to be the Astromiwave!!! HAHAHAHA! The Astromiwave is a DC in JAMMA form, its gonna be cheap as hell to not only make the games, but also to do ports to PS2 and the like!

Hopefully we can get these legal battles with Sammy straightened out so that Playmore will go on and make KOF for the Astromiwave and have it look as good as GGX2 does! buttrock drool

Also does this mean they might put out DC ports in Japan? Oh well even if they don't thank god I just got a Jap PS2, as thats where the ports are probably going to go!

Peace

JHendrix

<small>[ February 15, 2003, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: JHendrix ]</small>

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
This is the news i've been dying to here. PLaymore is moving on up!

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
It would certainly be interesting to see how this will turn out.

The prospects of seeing some new hardware (Hyper aside) is pretty exciting, especially in the hands of people who know how to use it.

Makes you wonder if any of this would have to do with Sammy's integration with Sega, imagine seeing Sega based arcade games on an upgraded MVS format.

A boy can dream, can't he.

edit: test

<small>[ February 15, 2003, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: Average Joe ]</small>

I can´t say too much because yesterday i read a new who tell me about a fusion betwen SNK & Sammy......

I´m schock

And, sorry for my english, i know it sucks :p

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
JHendrix:
Hopefully we can get these legal battles with Sammy straightened out so that Playmore will go on and make KOF for the Astromiwave and have it look as good as GGX2 does!
A KOF with graphics, backgrounds, and sprites ala GGX would indeed be something to get excited about.

But wouldn't that mean the end of the Neo AES system then?

tsukaesugi:
JHendrix:
Hopefully we can get these legal battles with Sammy straightened out so that Playmore will go on and make KOF for the Astromiwave and have it look as good as GGX2 does!
A KOF with graphics, backgrounds, and sprites ala GGX would indeed be something to get excited about.

But wouldn't that mean the end of the Neo AES system then?
Yes, it would. The King Of Fighters and Metal Slug series (in-between the occasional new game) are the only things keeping the Neo Geo AES alive. If both series move to new hardware, then the Neo-Geo is as good as finished. This could explain why Playmore is reluctant to use new hardware (although I can't quite elaborate why); it's risky and having to learn how to use it is costly (both finanically and time-wise). Frankly, though, I'm ready to see the KOF series move on to better and badder hardware; I'm getting very tired of seeing good characters getting left out due to hardware limitations. It's time for a change, Playmore...

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I say RIP AES/MVS... you have brought us some spectacular games, but times move on... and it is way overdue that we get some new hardware. Let's end this in a bang... Lets get MS5, KOF03, NPI, SvC on the MVS this year... then... March in 2004 with the new hardware... God how awesume would that be!

-Nick

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
you guys really want a new crystal system, don't you? :rolleyes:

f*ck it. we don't need "better" hardware. we need better GAMES!
btw : who's actually willing to spend big $$$ on a new system? i don't and i know for sure, that won't have a chance to play those games in a german "arcade".

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Excuse me but have you seen Mark of the Wolves?
Its not Guitly Gear X but its still way competent even by today's standards. If, say, the next 5 titles where to be of the same quality, would you not reconsider? Just because the latest batch of games are crap does not mean the hardware is THAT dated.

By the way - do you consider Street Fighter III
more enjoyable than Street Fighter Alpha?
Yes the graphics are if higher quality, but hasn't something been lost in the transition?
I think the Neo's 'limitations' gives it personality and aesthetic perspective.

And if the same people are behind the games on the new harware, the games will probably still look crap. Expect KOF with mortal kombat style digitized graphix :D

<small>[ February 16, 2003, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: DevilRedeemed ]</small>

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
supergoose79:
btw : who's actually willing to spend big $$$ on a new system? i don't and i know for sure, that won't have a chance to play those games in a german "arcade".
Actually the hardware they're discussing is basically a Dreamcast, the cost of a new system wouldn't be all that expensive, even less so for new games.

Which makes sense to me with Sega's help, I think that's the main reason why Sammy is looking into this, it's a fairly inexpensive busniness venture.

JHendrix

supergoose79:
you guys really want a new crystal system, don't you? :rolleyes:

f*ck it. we don't need "better" hardware. we need better GAMES!
1.) We don't need to buy this new hardware, it'll be much like Sammy and Capcom work things now. It comes out for the arcades and makes 90% of that revenue in Japan and in Asia/Korea, then the larger portion of the revenue is made from the PS2 port.

2.) Yes we probably won't see it in arcades here in the US, we might but it depends on how good the game really is. Never the less, buy a Jap PS2 or mod your existing one, you'll get the game when its put out for home use.

The benefit? Better graphics and sound, same gameplay (hopefully they'll improve that as well), and the klincher? $60 for the new release, not $325.

Peace

JHendrix

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
smokey:
I actually think the Atomiswave is sammy hardware with ex snk people working on it hoping to replease the Neo
Can we say, 'Deja vu'? I thought the Crystal System was the successor to the MVS? -- Oh wait, the system failed miserably didn't it? It sounds like we're in for another 'winner' with plenty of half-baked clones (sans anything developed by EX-SNK staff members, of course).

To wit...
Playmore has no involvement in the development of Atomiswave, period. Sammy is trying to revitalize the arcade industry by releasing new hardware with the aid of ex-SNK staff members. Playmore has already shown a lack of interest in the hardware, so the chances of us seeing Metal Slug 6 on Sammy’s new system is slim.

Take it for what its worth, but I believe there is still plenty of life left in the Neo-Geo system.

<small>[ February 16, 2003, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: NeoLord ]</small>

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I respect the lot of you, but you all seem so selfesh. The main complaint I am hearing is that people want to have the games come out for the system they already own... AES or MVS... And that all future games should be hampered by this technology. I am going to go on a wire here and say... if this new systems rocks, fuck all of you, I already have tons of Neo games, I am ready for what is next.

Does MOTW look good, sure, it looks decent... decent, compared to todays fighters (i.e. in the post Guilty Gear world), but how many characters have they squeezed in? How about sound? Now look at KOF2K2, it is actually pretty decent when you think what went into it, sound wise, animation wise, and graphic wise, but think how much better it could be if the system wasn't the biggest bottleneck.

I'm sorry, Sammy has raised the bar for fighters, and GGXX is leaps and bounds better then anything SNK has done in the graphics department... no, it doesn't play any better, but now that some ex-SNKers have signed up, think about what the future could hold. It's been said, and I will say it again, a KOF, LB, or SS with Guilty Gear graphics would be heart stopping... it could rekindle the genre. No longer would 2D fighting be thought of as old or outdated simply because it doesn't look good. And let's face it, the reason 2d is going the way of the dinos is because kids today want flash... Now if you can bring the flash to the tight 2d games... you get the picture.

For all of you that want to sit here and say, if it isn't on Neo Geo then it is shit, then fine... see you later... I love Neo Geo games, just click on my collection in my sig... yeah, thats a whole lot of lovin right there... but, it is time for something new... if Sammy isn't the future, maybe playmore will surprise us... I don't care, but the time for change is coming soon. Either get with it, or get left behind (or you could always just embrace it in 10 years, then it will be old and classic if that is the only way you like your games).

-Nick

JHendrix

nruva:
I respect the lot of you, but you all seem so selfesh. The main complaint I am hearing is that people want to have the games come out for the system they already own... AES or MVS... And that all future games should be hampered by this technology. I am going to go on a wire here and say... if this new systems rocks, fuck all of you, I already have tons of Neo games, I am ready for what is next.

Does MOTW look good, sure, it looks decent... decent, compared to todays fighters (i.e. in the post Guilty Gear world), but how many characters have they squeezed in? How about sound? Now look at KOF2K2, it is actually pretty decent when you think what went into it, sound wise, animation wise, and graphic wise, but think how much better it could be if the system wasn't the biggest bottleneck.

I'm sorry, Sammy has raised the bar for fighters, and GGXX is leaps and bounds better then anything SNK has done in the graphics department... no, it doesn't play any better, but now that some ex-SNKers have signed up, think about what the future could hold. It's been said, and I will say it again, a KOF, LB, or SS with Guilty Gear graphics would be heart stopping... it could rekindle the genre. No longer would 2D fighting be thought of as old or outdated simply because it doesn't look good. And let's face it, the reason 2d is going the way of the dinos is because kids today want flash... Now if you can bring the flash to the tight 2d games... you get the picture.

For all of you that want to sit here and say, if it isn't on Neo Geo then it is shit, then fine... see you later... I love Neo Geo games, just click on my collection in my sig... yeah, thats a whole lot of lovin right there... but, it is time for something new... if Sammy isn't the future, maybe playmore will surprise us... I don't care, but the time for change is coming soon. Either get with it, or get left behind (or you could always just embrace it in 10 years, then it will be old and classic if that is the only way you like your games).

-Nick
*insert applause and ditto's here*

Peace

JHendrix

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Now what you have to understand is that Neo Geo owners are proud and they should be. Its the only home system that has lasted over a decade and still brings out games. Why be hasty? Why do they have to continue to spew out games such as SS and KOF on a neww system? Neo geo once upon a time was as much about inovation as it was about sequels and somehow it got lost along the way. But those games belong to the Neo Geo. New hardware new material new day.
More sequels, however good the game looks will mean the death of 2d in my opinion for sure.
Come on everybody say it out loud INO-VA-TION.
You have to somehow reinvent 2D to keep it frsh. Graphics mean squat if the the gameplay is not there to hook you in. Look at Tetris.
Anyway, GuiltyGear is boring. Incredible graphics but uninspiring to play IMHO.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
DevilRedeemed:
Now what you have to understand is that Neo Geo owners are proud and they should be. Its the only home system that has lasted over a decade and still brings out games. Why be hasty? Why do they have to continue to spew out games such as SS and KOF on a neww system? Neo geo once upon a time was as much about inovation as it was about sequels and somehow it got lost along the way. But those games belong to the Neo Geo. New hardware new material new day.
More sequels, however good the game looks will mean the death of 2d in my opinion for sure.
Come on everybody say it out loud INO-VA-TION.
You have to somehow reinvent 2D to keep it frsh. Graphics mean squat if the the gameplay is not there to hook you in. Look at Tetris.
Main Entry: in·no·va·tion
Pronunciation: "i-n&-'vA-sh&n
Function: noun
Date: 15th century
1 : the introduction of something new
2 : a new idea, method, or device

Wow, you just resaid what I did, but got confused some how. How is innovation using the same tired system? How is innovation keeping stagnent and releasing a slightly updated version of KOF and MS every year? I think what you are saying is exactly what I am saying, only you are a bit confused and your don't want to think about investing in a new setup.

The system is just that, a A board... the means of which to play a game. The brilliance is in the software. Bring that brilliance to a new system and it is just as good if not better. You say you don't care about graphics, that is fine, but a lot of people do... and for Playmore to be successful and to make it another few years before filling chapter 11 again... they need to attract a much wider audience.

Hey, if you want Neo games, there will always be tons of great old classic titles to collect. No one says you have to move on to the new hardware if it ever comes about. I have 85 or so MVS games, and a few more to buy, I have tons of games to enjoy on this hardware. Now is the time to, if I may steal your word, innovate with the hardware and bring us something new... Innovation... that is what we need!

-Nick

<small>[ February 16, 2003, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: nruva ]</small>

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Originally posted by DevilRedeemed:

Up until GG2X I would have agreed with you on that one.

GG2X is a pretty deep game, there are tons of gameplay options and an endless amount of custom combos (thanks Roman Cancel) to perform.

Perhaps you haven't spent enough to time with it to see this for yourself, but either way, calling GG2X just another pretty game is unfair..