How do you all feel about laminate copied marquees?

jefmcc

Armored Scrum Object
Do you hate them with a passion or would you accept one that is very high quality? I have made these for myself, and would like to know how the rest of you feel about them. The laminate I use is very high quality. Once sealed, the plastic is very hard and strong.

I also am working on a nice solution for an
MVS case insert and color spine labels for the carts. Many of my carts were bought used, and the simple spine labels are in very bad shape. Or missing all together.

If any of you have any suggestions, please post them here or email me.

thanks,

jeff

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
I always prefer original marquees if I can get them. I have some copied mini marquees, a few laminated and some not, but for the most part they aren't very high quality. But if there were none available, I guess it would be nice to have high quality copied ones. The problem is that most printed and laminated marquees I've seen were not very high quality . . .

As for the cart spine labels, most of my MVS carts have original labels . . . I think your idea is cool, but what you ought to focus on especially are the MVS cart case inserts and spine labels. THAT would be REALLY cool, especially now that we have these great cases available from Big Bear!!

His second case auction is ending in less than two days, btw:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1232086709

BUY THEM WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!
biggrin.gif

Robi15

20 Year Member
I definitely support MVS case inserts! I have just bought some cases from BB and would really like to have inserts adjusted to the case size and with very good printing quality. I'm prepared to pay for such a product!! The inserts could be similar to the Home carts, but just larger and they could have the MVS-Multi Video System" logo on them aswell. Ohoo. They would liik so good!
biggrin.gif

------------------
NEOBIOS.gif

MVS all the way!

[This message has been edited by Robi15 (edited April 25, 2001).]

I too prefer the original marquees. But then again I try to get complete cart games whenever possible. I accept the copied marquees if it is a game I really want but I seldome buy a game without a marquee of some kind.

202lfo

but a laminated copy is better than nothing!!

of course an original is better, but before i have nothing i would like to have a laminated one rather than a mere copy!!

LFO

BTW: nice idea with the card-stickers... it's rather pointless, but kinda interesting (i though of something like that for myself a while ago)

jefmcc

Armored Scrum Object
Thanks for the input.
Making the marquees is the easiest as it requires no resizing of anything. Just an orginal or a very good scan. I like super high res scans for this, like 300-600 dpi. The good laminate helps too. It doesn't peel.

I have been trying various things with the actual inserts. I think that just a resized home cart insert is OK. BUT, these are NOT home carts and I (my opinion) would like to make something that reflects this. For the back of the box I would like to use the mini marquee blown up. Of course, having the SNK and MVS logos is a definate. Because they are arcade carts, I would almost like to do away with the meg counts on the inserts. This was always more of a marketing ploy of SNK, back in the day of puny Sega and Nintendo games. You don't really see much talk of the meg counts with the MVS carts. However, huge meg games are a staple and "trade mark" of Neo Geo games. Let me know what you think.

As an alternate to the front of the insert, I propose this. On every mini marquee is two things. On the bottom half is the controls for playing the game. On the top half is a graphic containing the name of the game and usually some artwork. I would like to use this top half for the front of the inserts. using Samurai Shodown 2 as an example, the artwork would be rotated 90 degrees. Thus giving the label the same look as the King of Fighters 2000 home cart insert. Just a thought. Keep an open mind and let me know what you think.

jeff

djbomberman

NAM-75 Vet
I don't mind the Laminated marquee....but of course I wouldn't take one over an original. I think it comes down to how good of a quality the Color-copied Marquee is.....I got one that was just pitiful.....it was a Blazing Star marquee...I couldn't even make out the game.....horrible.....I would say that a color copy is better than nothing though.......

The home cart insert scan and shrink down to size....actully sounds kinda cool....be kinda neat to get a marquee with the meg count on the front.....wonder what it would look like......?

------------------
29406164.gif

---GROOVY!!!---