Any News From Lastnite Testing on the New Power Instinct

Hey just wondering if anyone came across some new screen shots or video footage of this new game since it was on test lastnite @ Neo-Geo Land

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
Wow, I didn't even know it was in the testing phase yet.

I probably won't buy it (got too many fighting games as is), but I'm at least curious as to what it's like. :)

the_colonel

Fio's Quartermaster
Here's a gif of the sticker off of the cabinet which shows a few of the moves.

<a href="http://kfxnews.hp.infoseek.co.jp/photo/matrimelee_w.jpg" target="_blank">http://kfxnews.hp.infoseek.co.jp/photo/matrimelee_w.jpg</a>

Thanks to s_y

the_colonel

Fio's Quartermaster
Here's more infomation courtesy of me enjoy.
Oh, yeah... click on the bottom link.

the_colonel

Fio's Quartermaster
Heres the link...

<a href="http://www.interq.or.jp/www1/893/game.html" target="_blank">http://www.interq.or.jp/www1/893/game.html</a>

Shou-sama

Armored Scrum,
Impressions were unfavorable from the location test. Basically, the whole game system has problems and there were issues with the controls. Many players of the series said it didn't feel like PI and that it was just Rage of the Dragons again.

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
They had better scratch this release if its gonna be like RotD. RotD was good, but we DON'T need another RotD. I hope they fix the control problems, enhance the sprites(make them bigger), and add more animation to the game as a whole. I hope Noise\Playmore are reading this forum because I want a quality game to play.

Please don't realease anymore shit games!

I want the quality games, and now.

EMAGDNIM

Vice's Love Slave
Hmmm...I hope they can fix this game up for it's release date.... :confused:

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
The characters in that game are a lot of fun. Looking forward to it. I am interested to hear how its debut night in public went.

BTW, Brylmo, what game is that Mai animation from? @_@ Is that just a custom that someone made? I know it says 2k2. Does she actually do that? Yikes.

<small>[ January 25, 2003, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: RyoGeo ]</small>

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Shou-sama:
Impressions were unfavorable from the location test. Basically, the whole game system has problems and there were issues with the controls. Many players of the series said it didn't feel like PI and that it was just Rage of the Dragons again.
Sadly I'm not suprised. I want the Neo to carry on as much as anyone... but with high quality releases covering new ground. NPI is a release that shouldn't have happened imho.
Although I like RotD, it's not the greatest fighter on the neo, and we certainly don't need something of similar ilk so soon.
Seems to me the only strengths NPI has are the natty character designs.

Any word on the quality of the bg's and animation? Is it as wooden as the screenshots suggest?

<small>[ January 25, 2003, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Tarma ]</small>

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
RyoGeo:
The characters in that game are a lot of fun. Looking forward to it. I am interested to hear how its debut night in public went.

BTW, Brylmo, what game is that Mai animation from? @_@ Is that just a custom that someone made? I know it says 2k2. Does she actually do that? Yikes.
mai's HSDM - kof 2002

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
Shou-sama:
...and i was actually looking forward to it...

why?

why?

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
Shou-sama:
Why the negativity? I mean, even if impressions were unfavorable, can't you mention any PLUSES too? Didn't anyone like it? This seems like a very biased little recap...

Real Bout Maniac

Corporal Dick,
And hey, for someone like me that enjoyed RotD, I don't mind having a product that has a similiar feel but with different characters, specials, etc.

It's much better than a yearly KoF with the SAME feel, characters, specials, etc. wink :D

Shou-sama

Armored Scrum,
Why the negativity? I mean, even if impressions were unfavorable, can't you mention any PLUSES too? Didn't anyone like it? This seems like a very biased little recap...
That's how the report I read came across. Here's a quick and dirty translation of what one report said:

- no opening
- seems like many normal moves are cancelable
- stages don't seem to change between rounds
- many costume colors
- characters with no reach are hard to play, characters with fast and long normal moves are at a distinct advantage
- guard stun is short so you can counter attack immediately
- there are no transformation animations
- air combos are possible
- small moves are of no use
- time counts down way too slow
- command response is extremely bad
- isn't this like rage of the Dragons, game system and animation are about the same
- stage BGM and songs are PI-like
- bugs totally crashed the game
- Annie is too good, regular moves are fast and strong, her super is too good (hard to avoid)
- the songs are really good
- a person from Nagoya commented "This isn't Power Instinct!"

As a disclaimer, I'm not totally fluent in Japanese but I believe my translations are fairly accurate.

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
Thx, Shou-Sama! Great bullets.

Some of the negatives I bet will get addressed, like no opening.

Hopefully, the gameplay issues get tweaked as a result of the beta test as well. I mean, after all, isn't that the whole point of a beta test?

One of them I was curious about. Time counts too slow? Don't know about you, but I hate the clock. A round that ends by th eclock running out sucks. I know it can allow for turtling, but too fast a counter is almost worse.

Who knows. Guess we'll all see soon enough.

cgun

Fio's Quartermaster
As always, this is really sad. KOF 02 were announced as a failure when the testing was on, so was ROTD.

Most people are way to critical with neo-games. Sure, mortal kombat for the PS2/GC/XBOX is great but ROTD sucks (note the irony). Games for new systems can be pretty drab and still be called great or so. But a neo-game must be the best fucking game you´ve ever seen to live up to expectations.

I love ROTD and could easily say that it is one of the best neo-games ever and the most played game in my collection. Íf new power instinct even comes close i´ll get my pre-order done as fast as possible.

If it does not play like PI that is a good thing, just as ROTD din not play like Double Dragon for neogeo. Most people seem to prefer sucky streetfighter 2-clones for most of the part.

SNK is dead, and most of the neo-fans think the system is dead as well. I don´t, ROTD, Sengoku 3, KOF 2001, KOF 2002 for example are some of the best games on the system imho.

When videos of this game arrive, i´ll give you my first preview. A review will folloe when i´ve got extende time with it.

Shou-sama

Armored Scrum,
I love ROTD and could easily say that it is one of the best neo-games ever and the most played game in my collection. Íf new power instinct even comes close i´ll get my pre-order done as fast as possible.
It's great that you and others enjoyed ROTD but for myself it falls rather short since I'm judging it as a competitive game. In Japan, this is how it was looked at as well. If a fighter isn't good at a tournament level, it will likely not succeed there especially with no brand recognition. From that perspective, ROTD is like a B level game in 1996 so that's why it failed miserably.

cgun

Fio's Quartermaster
Maybe the neo needs soem games that don´t need a hardcore 24-hours a-day gamer to be enjoyed?

When i have competition with my friends ROTD or any other neo-fighter works well. Even if you can do a 100% combo you can´t make it work every time. I can do many 100% combos in KOF, many of them are infinites and can be done without problems. In ROTD on the other hand i can´t make one single infinite because the wall bounce system is mastered and without problems unlike KOF 2001 for example. Or not, please tell my why ROTD does not work on a tournament level?

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
cgun:
Or not, please tell my why ROTD does not work on a tournament level?
rotd is like a cheap b movie

you can have fun with it and laugh about it

and thats it

please lets dont compare rotd to kof

please

C

Caris Nautilus

Fran:
cgun:
Or not, please tell my why ROTD does not work on a tournament level?
rotd is like a cheap b movie

you can have fun with it and laugh about it

and thats it
i was thinking the same of you. buttrock