GMR shows respect for SNK fighters

My apologies if this was already posted, i haven't been in here too much lately....

GMR magazine (distributed through EB games) did a spread on history of fighting games and at the end broke it down to the 5 greatest/must have's to date, and Garou and SSII both made the cut. I believe they ranked #4 and #2 respectively. I love the fact that snk/neo are getting some good mainstream press lately. I feel that this recognition is important, as it may open more fan's eyes who may have missed the neo age and attract new blood to the scene (which could = more solid 2-d releases by SNK)

Robert

20 Year Member
Whaouh, 16th member! glad to see some veterans now that we have 6000+ members.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Old news but thanks. I was really suprised to see MOTW over some other games like Super 2 turbo.

FormlessOne

Chin's Drinking Partner
It seems to be the new fad in the gameing world this month, I expect to see more.

SilverWolf

Tarma's Gun Polisher
MOTW better than SSII turbo? Well doesn't sound too much of a shock since MOTW is a newer game with better graphics and such.

ThePunisher

SouthTown StreetSweeper
what'd they put in first?

and
anyone know what issue (month/issue #) ?
as id like to pick it up

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
I believe it was 2 issues ago. It's in the other room and I'm too lazy to look, but the #1 spot was Street Fighter Third strike, Virtual Fighter Evolution took 3rd I think and I can't remember the last one. I did notice though they did an honorable mention section that had King of Fighters,(not a specific year) and had a *wonderful* screenshot of the dreamcast version of 98.

<small>[ August 29, 2003, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: The_Chosen_One ]</small>

CHRiZ-77

Gal Ageise's Demon
SilverWolf:
MOTW better than SSII turbo? Well doesn't sound too much of a shock since MOTW is a newer game with better graphics and such.
Garou:MotW is the ultimate 2D-Fighter imo! drool_2

ThePunisher

SouthTown StreetSweeper
The_Chosen_One:
I believe it was 2 issues ago. It's in the other room and I'm too lazy to look, but the #1 spot was Street Fighter Third strike, Virtual Fighter Evolution took 3rd I think and I can't remember the last one. I did notice though they did an honorable mention section that had King of Fighters,(not a specific year) and had a *wonderful* screenshot of the dreamcast version of 98.
Third strike!? eek!
Blasphemy!

Anyway thanks for the info Ill look into it.

Kevin Paul

Overtop Pathfinder
It was the September issue with Soul Calibur on the cover. I think you can still find it for the time being on the newstand (before the next issue comes out in a week or so).

In addition, check out the latest EGM (Seals) and Game Now (don't remember the cover). The EGM has a one-page feature on SNK (it's rise and fall). The Game Now has a feature on fighting games, the beginning (Karate Champ, etc) to now. They feature a bunch of SNK fighters like Art of Fighting, SVC, King of Fighters, Fatal Fury. They also mention King of Fighters 98 and MOTW as two of the best SNK fighters.

<small>[ August 31, 2003, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: Kevin Paul ]</small>

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Yeah, I got the GMR delivered to my apartment about a month ago. I was pretty surprised that some (well, two anyway) Neo fighters got recognition. However, as to the rest of their list, it was pretty much absolute crap. For some reason, Soul Caliber 2 got first place. How can you give a game that just came out, well, on home systems, first place? It sounds like typical ass kissing to me. Plus, the rest of the magazine was absolute trash. The mag received the circular file treatment after being read.

Jon

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
ThePunisher:
The_Chosen_One:
Third strike!? eek!
Blasphemy!

Dude, third strike is pure bliss. The game is super deep, very pretty, and has a great list of moves/animation/colors/music.

I am surprised it got 1, and I would have given that to kof98 or SS2 Turbo, but still.

Spike

mog

Bead Banger
ThePunisher:
The_Chosen_One:
Third strike!? eek!
Blasphemy!

3s 0wnz j00