SvC - Neo or PS2?

Jive3D

n00b
Hey...

I have a NEOGEO & a PS2 (among other systems :) ). But which one should I get, the NEO GEO version of SvC or should I wait for the PS2 version and save all that money?

Will the NEO be more true to the arcade, is there a chance that the PS2 version will be updated? any info would be good as I'm really thinking about pre ordering the NEO version... advice please!?

Thanks!

Mike

Bead Banger
If the past is indicative of the future, the AES version will be 100% identical to the arcade, the PS2 version will be slightly distinguishable but chances are, it will come with extra options/features.

It's my guess that the PS2 version will be out 2-6 months after the homecart lands.

Robert

20 Year Member
If you can afford it, take the neo version to have the real flavor of the arcade version.

This is the question that questions the justification of AES games.

It is always an easy question to ask, but a hard as hell question to answer.

Beware, deep thoughts below, much of it is cold hearted but true.

One can only justify the purchase of an AES title over a port only to buy the spirit of the NEO, the knowing they have the finest, most playable version, and may have the likelihood of not being a victim of depreciation. Having no loading time is probably the largest and most beneficial reason technically.

Some further points:

1.) Videogames, and playing them is not logical. There is nothing redeemable about videogame playing. Games don't help your intellectuality, they don't help you advance your job skills (unless you are in the respective dicipline), and they surely don't help your relationship with a significant other (unless he/she loves them too).

2.) NEO GEO is the least logical choice for a gaming machine. The games are old, and very expensive. I hate to say it, but having a PS2 is the best choice for a gaming machine. It is designed to appeal to the largest demographic. Games for it become instantly cheap after a month. But then again i'm one to talk, I have no interest in buying any next gen system.

BUT...

Videogames are about passion, fun, playability, and socializing with people that do love them. If fun is illogical, impractical, etc, then it must also be required to help us break from the logical, practical, and structuredness of our lives. NEO GEO is a guilty pleasure. We all know that. It is the finest 2D system ever made, thanks to its games.

So, justification for buying a $335 pure game over a $50 port is all up to you.

Mike

Bead Banger
Electroman:
This is the question that questions the justification of AES games.

It is always an easy question to ask, but a hard as hell question to answer.

Beware, deep thoughts below, much of it is cold hearted but true.

One can only justify the purchase of an AES title over a port only to buy the spirit of the NEO, the knowing they have the finest, most playable version, and may have the likelihood of not being a victim of depreciation. Having no loading time is probably the largest and most beneficial reason technically.

Some further points:

1.) Videogames, and playing them is not logical. There is nothing redeemable about videogame playing. Games don't help your intellectuality, they don't help you advance your job skills (unless you are in the respective dicipline), and they surely don't help your relationship with a significant other (unless he/she loves them too).

2.) NEO GEO is the least logical choice for a gaming machine. The games are old, and very expensive. I hate to say it, but having a PS2 is the best choice for a gaming machine. It is designed to appeal to the largest demographic. Games for it become instantly cheap after a month. But then again i'm one to talk, I have no interest in buying any next gen system.

BUT...

Videogames are about passion, fun, playability, and socializing with people that do love them. If fun is illogical, impractical, etc, then it must also be required to help us break from the logical, practical, and structuredness of our lives. NEO GEO is a guilty pleasure. We all know that. It is the finest 2D system ever made, thanks to its games.

So, justification for buying a $335 pure game over a $50 port is all up to you.
You should write more of this stuff. It's all so true crying

"The Neo Geo Manifesto"

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Good points man, good points.

This is how it goes for the Neo, no matter which version you play. And it is ESPECIALLY true for the newer games like KOF2k2 and SvC, etc.

You buy the Neo-Geo version because you want it. You don't want the PS2 disc because it's not coming out fast enough, and it just isn't as nice to own.

That's it really. I wish I could explain it better but I can't. It's just because you like owning the cart (or PCB in the MVS case), that's it.

Fuckin-a man, I wrestle every other week with the thought of just selling all my Neo games and saving tons of money by just building a MAME setup and being DONE with it. It'd save me so much money in the long run. That or sell all my stuff and just keep the ports, they're pretty much perfect representations of the gameplay that I really care about, KOF2k2 on DC is every bit as good as the Neo version. But I can't sell my MVS cart, I just can't. I enjoy owning it and playing it too much.

I'm going to have the hardest time explaining to a good number of my 2D fighting friends as to WHY I own the SvC cart. They'll never understand and I know a bunch of them thing I'm dumb as hell for doing it. Thing is I don't give a shit, I just want to fucking own it and play it (against them no less) ASAP. And no I'm not going to sell my cart as soon as the PS2 version comes out so I can play that. I just like owning the cart.

I'm lucky that some people understand it, I mean if you can buy the game in this format (which has ALWAYS been the most expensive route) without having to put yourself in debt or hurt anyone in the process then why not? If you want it, buy it.

It's the American way. :cool:

ThePunisher

SouthTown StreetSweeper
Electroman:
oh_no

Would you also agree that reading a novel or admiring a piece of artwork has nothing redeeming to it?

Just the fact that it is fun by defenition gives it a redeeming quality.

Not to mention the fact that videogames improve your handeye coordination.

You failed to realize that making acute motions and button presses with split-second timing is by all means logical.

But so does the rest of society.

ThePunisher

SouthTown StreetSweeper
JHendrix:
Fuckin-a man, I wrestle every other week with the thought of just selling all my Neo games and saving tons of money by just building a MAME setup and being DONE with it.
Hendrix man. oh_no

Im disappointed with this utter display of disrespect. frown

JHendrix

ThePunisher:
JHendrix:
Fuckin-a man, I wrestle every other week with the thought of just selling all my Neo games and saving tons of money by just building a MAME setup and being DONE with it.
Hendrix man. oh_no

Im disappointed with this utter display of disrespect. :(
Oh come ON man, read the rest of the damned post.

I wrestle with the idea of selling my Neo stuff and going with MAME when I have large bills to pay off.

Reguardless the rest of that post talks about how I WON'T do that because I enjoy owning it all too much. Hell I'm lucky enough to have a GF that when I told her that she told me I wasn't allowed to sell it all because I'd just get all sad and try to buy it back again.

Thank god one of us has wisdom. wink

I also want to point out that I don't pretend to like NEOGEO to be a part of a crowd. I love its games.

The hand-eye coordination thing... yea that redeemable excuse was popular when George Bush Sr. was president but it doesn't hold up anymore.

No disrespect intended, but frankly, would never want to admit that I am trying to boost my hand-eye coordination skills by playing videogames. Only gamers would understand that but the masses would not.

And I too have thought many a time about selling all my NEO stuff and making a MAME ROMWhore Monster of a system, custom controllers, bla bla bla. I have thought of the vile notion to just fuck all the NEO is for the persuit of trying to make more sense of a situation that doesn't make sense anyway.

But really what's the point? You MAME it or you NEO it, you are still playing games. Yes true. But ROMS ARE WRONG. Many of us grew up with NEO. To sell it all to go MAME for $xxxx dollars? It would be logical but it would not be right, and it would not be fun.

For example, a friend of mine came over to play Last Blade 1. He loved it immediately. But here he is with his laptop showing me MS1, MS2, and MSX. No, he didn't pay for them. Just downloaded them, took a bit of time to config it all and played them. Ok fine... Oh then he notices my unexcitedness about the ROMS. Then he says, "You don't really agree with the ROM stuff do you?"

"No, I really don't, and do you blame me?" I reply.

He shakes his head.

I continue, "How would I have known back in '91 or later that we could simply forgoe NEO and just DL the ROMS later and play these old games for free? It hurts sometimes but you know I'm in it too deep and I love having this console anyway"

He understood what I meant. The fucked up thing, he likes fighting games more than I, yet he nor anyone of my other friends have never bought a NEO AES.

Sad but true. But I gotta face it, its cool to be the only dude in my circle of friends and family to have one.

Jedite

Bunker Buster
Get both! Get the home cart version so, you can have the arcade experience, and get the PS2(if there's gonna be one)version, for the extra features.

Machin Shin

Cheng's Errand Boy
For me, there's no REAL reason to get the PS2 port of SvsC: Chaos if the NGH cart is available first...unless the port fixes the glitches and character imbalance that is plaguing the game; then i'll wait ps2 version.

Jedite

Bunker Buster
Like I said, you should get both. To compare which is better, and if PS2's versions has online play, that'll definitely be worth the money.

Robert

20 Year Member
you know, even if I'm a big neo fans the fact of paying 335 euros for a SvC is a bit hard to accept. But I will certainly do it. I think we don't have to explain our passion, we just have to live it. The problem is that video games are always linked with children behavior. I'm 23 and my father asked me when I will stop this. Seeing people suffer for paying a sport car is acceptable but a student who save to buy a neo game seems ridiculous, but in fact it's the same kind of thinking. whatever the passion, the important thing is to enjoy it.
And concerning the question of this topic, you alreay know theanswer just don't lie to yourself. Sometime I say " no, I won't buy SvC. it's too expensive".it's certainly because my logical way of thinking make me hesitate but there is no logic in this choice.
" can I afford it"
-Yes
"will I enjoy it"
-badly
So let's go!

JHendrix

Electroman:
I also want to point out that I don't pretend to like NEOGEO to be a part of a crowd. I love its games.

The hand-eye coordination thing... yea that redeemable excuse was popular when George Bush Sr. was president but it doesn't hold up anymore.

No disrespect intended, but frankly, would never want to admit that I am trying to boost my hand-eye coordination skills by playing videogames. Only gamers would understand that but the masses would not.

And I too have thought many a time about selling all my NEO stuff and making a MAME ROMWhore Monster of a system, custom controllers, bla bla bla. I have thought of the vile notion to just fuck all the NEO is for the persuit of trying to make more sense of a situation that doesn't make sense anyway.

But really what's the point? You MAME it or you NEO it, you are still playing games. Yes true. But ROMS ARE WRONG. Many of us grew up with NEO. To sell it all to go MAME for $xxxx dollars? It would be logical but it would not be right, and it would not be fun.

For example, a friend of mine came over to play Last Blade 1. He loved it immediately. But here he is with his laptop showing me MS1, MS2, and MSX. No, he didn't pay for them. Just downloaded them, took a bit of time to config it all and played them. Ok fine... Oh then he notices my unexcitedness about the ROMS. Then he says, "You don't really agree with the ROM stuff do you?"

"No, I really don't, and do you blame me?" I reply.

He shakes his head.

I continue, "How would I have known back in '91 or later that we could simply forgoe NEO and just DL the ROMS later and play these old games for free? It hurts sometimes but you know I'm in it too deep and I love having this console anyway"

He understood what I meant. The fucked up thing, he likes fighting games more than I, yet he nor anyone of my other friends have never bought a NEO AES.

Sad but true. But I gotta face it, its cool to be the only dude in my circle of friends and family to have one.
I have a few friends who understand it, but yeah the majority of them don't.

Of course no one I know is going to go out and buy a Neo, they just won't it's too much money. And it doesn't make sense to them. I mean any Neo game that they really like they can get a good port of it (or in some cases play the ROM on their dedicated MAME setup).

I mean I love my Neo, but I don't have some extraneous attatchment to the system.

I'd be happy as hell if SNKP came out tommorrow and said, "we're stopping Neo Geo and arcade development as of now and focusing only on the PS2 and XBox home consoles." I've never hid that I think that's the best decision for them to make.

But the thing is, right now they're making the games for the Neo-Geo, if I get the Neo-Geo version I'll be able to own the game as soon as possible and in the version that it was meant to be played in. That and there is something to be said for owning the game, it makes you appreciate it more. It's something that doesn't sound very good but in reality it is Gods honest truth.

Heh, things are funny, if my 1337 Pir8 17 year old self heard what I was saying now I'd probably try to kick the crap out of myself... loco

<small>[ August 25, 2003, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: JHendrix ]</small>

ThePunisher

SouthTown StreetSweeper
JHendrix:
ThePunisher:
JHendrix:
Hendrix man. oh_no

I wrestle with the idea of selling my Neo stuff and going with MAME when I have large bills to pay off.

Reguardless the rest of that post talks about how I WON'T do that because I enjoy owning it all too much. Hell I'm lucky enough to have a GF that when I told her that she told me I wasn't allowed to sell it all because I'd just get all sad and try to buy it back again.

I didnt mean to flame. Just criticism.

What it sounded like to me was...you wrestle with the idea of selling all your neo stuff and buying a mame cab, frequently?

I thought you would know and realize that just getting a mame cab would hurt the resellers you are supporting buying old mvs carts and snkp by not buying new mvs carts.

But you dont mention that at all. You just say you dont want to sell your carts because you like owning them.

Can you try again to convince me that this is not an "utter display of disrespect" to the people that make the games and the people that invest in selling them?

ThePunisher

SouthTown StreetSweeper
Electroman:

How doesn't it hold up anymore?

Just because you don't play videogames to improve hand-eye coordination doesnt mean they dont improve it.

Anyway I dislike the hand-eye coordination arguement as well.
It makes it sound like videogames are only worth something because they improve hand-eye coordination.

To me thats like saying novels are only worth something because they improve your vocabulary.

But what it all boils down to is what you said before:

Videogames, and playing them is not logical.
And my response is:

Im playing king of fighters.

I see my opponent jump at me.
within less than a second
using reason I realize to imput a combination on the joystick that will result in an anti air maneuvor(sp)

How does that not use reason and logic?
And that is certaintly not the best example.

Nomax

Kula's Candy
I don't have an AES nor a PS2 (and don't want one but that's another subject).

But I have the same problem as you...

Personally, I'm gonna buy the Dreamcast version as soon as it will be out (if there's one). And get the MVS version later when the price will drop.

I'm currently unemployed so I can't afford that much money for a game so I'll buy:
- DC version because I want to play that damn game.
- MVS version because I want the real thing.

Unless you got arcade joysticks for your PS2, it's not the same feeling as the AES.
Add to this that having the original game cartridge is more satisfying and have more value to your heart than a CD game in a DVD case, no?

ThePunisher:

using reason I realize to imput a combination on the joystick that will result in an anti air maneuvor(sp)

Punisher, I think you have a point there. And its for the same that i've taken a liking to fighting games again and again. There are reflexes involved. I suppose that is redeemable.

Reading books is always redeemable. Reading improves the way you comprehend words, it enhances your vocabulary, and helps develop or unlock your imagination.

JHendrix

ThePunisher:
JHendrix:
ThePunisher:
JHendrix:
Hendrix man. oh_no

I didnt mean to flame. Just criticism.

What it sounded like to me was...you wrestle with the idea of selling all your neo stuff and buying a mame cab, frequently?

I thought you would know and realize that just getting a mame cab would hurt the resellers you are supporting buying old mvs carts and snkp by not buying new mvs carts.

But you dont mention that at all. You just say you dont want to sell your carts because you like owning them.

Can you try again to convince me that this is not an "utter display of disrespect" to the people that make the games and the people that invest in selling them?
It's not all that frequently, just times when I'm like "damn it" and I have to pay a bill. Now I'm in the middle of a very large purchase and it would make life SO much easier to sell my Neo stuff than to work overtime for a few weeks.

It's more of a joke really as I couldn't really sell them.

As for "hurting the industry", well in all honesty I don't see too many problems with it in that reguard.

Resellers? While I respect them for the service they offer, they're selling used games which is about 100% profit, and especially with the Neo-Geo (and this is doubly true with the home cart stuff), the markups are so rediculous because of collectors, that I think that the bad evens out the good of the situation.

I mean, SNKP doesn't give two shits if I have a ROM of KOF98 or whatever else, just so long as they're not selling new games of it then it makes no difference to them. Hell the more people who have the older stuff that's more people who will be inclined to buy the newer sequels when they come out.

As for new carts, that's supporting the Neo home system or the MVS platform. If I were to get ROMZ for all the new games and say buy the PS2/DC ports of them, I'm still giving SNKP my money and support, just on another platform.

I mean by doing what we do (aka buying MVS and AES carts), all we do is support this scene and it's various sellers, which at times has its good points and its bad ones. I've seen shit on this boards be it scammers or outright price jackers making a buck off people with this shit, and on the other hand I've had the utmost pleasure dealing with some of the absolute BEST sellers of any kind of item you could imagine.

I don't see it as disrespect, but seeing both sides of the coin. There is good and bad to it all and you can choose to be a part of this scene or to leave it and use whatever means you can to just PLAY THE GAMES, which for me at least is the main goal of it all.

Personally, I enjoy the scene and this place. I enjoy the whole collection aspect of it as well as playing the games, I also enjoy all the fan based stuff that goes on. Stuff like insert creation, or building Neo-Geo styled superguns or controllers (pimp <a href="http://www.sgrepository.com" target="_blank">http://www.sgrepository.com</a> /pimp).

I mean if I was only interested in playing the games, then yeah I'd have ROMZ and PORTZ and I wouldn't be at neo-geo.com I'd be at orochinagi.com or kofonline.com or any of the other places where all you hear is talk about combos/glitches/tiers/combo videos/how to get game X running under emulator Y, etc.

As it stands right now I like having the real deal and I like the scene, if that changes then I'll leave and do things my own way. That's just how life is. :)

ThePunisher

SouthTown StreetSweeper
Electroman:
ThePunisher:

Reading books is always redeemable. Reading improves the way you comprehend words, it enhances your vocabulary, and helps develop or unlock your imagination.
Thanks for looking at my post seriously :)

Anyway,
Rpgs by all means improves your vocabulary etc. You are digesting a novels worth of writing.

And of course videogames can develop and unlock your imagination too.

But I think you missed my point with the reading analogy.
My point wasnt about the "redeemable" qualities of reading but about the fact that a piece of art (a videogame or a novel) isnt only worth something because it can improve your vocabulary or improve your handeye coordination.

If you enjoy it and it sparks your imagination and interest thats more than enough. :D

ThePunisher

SouthTown StreetSweeper
It's not all that frequently, just times when I'm like "damn it" and I have to pay a bill. Now I'm in the middle of a very large purchase and it would make life SO much easier to sell my Neo stuff than to work overtime for a few weeks.
Im feeling you. :p

As for "hurting the industry", well in all honesty I don't see too many problems with it in that reguard.
first off correct me if im being incoherent or misunderstanding
im in the middle of doing something but wanna get this post off before to late

let's look at it this way
ng.com has some old carts for sale
if I just dl those roms
but buy the new games im supporting snkp
right?

imho WRONG
if you pump money into ng.com by buying old carts you are allowing shawn to be able to purchase and offer more new snkp games

so you are indirectly supporting snkp

even buying new games is indirect support
its not like snkp sees the 335 you are going to spend on svc

Hell the more people who have the older stuff that's more people who will be inclined to buy the newer sequels when they come out.
Thats a good point.

If I were to get ROMZ for all the new games and say buy the PS2/DC ports of them, I'm still giving SNKP my money and support, just on another platform.
Yea I know.

I don't see it as disrespect, but seeing both sides of the coin. There is good and bad to it all and you can choose to be a part of this scene or to leave it and use whatever means you can to just PLAY THE GAMES, which for me at least is the main goal of it all.
Let me clarify.
I still think it is disrespect.

If you buy a mame cabinet and just dl the romz while conciously(sp) knowing that you are not supporting resellers, snkp, the scene, whatever (they're all connected).

It is disrespect to those who took they're time putting it together, those legally purchasing/supporting the sellers, those selling the games, etc.

If you throw in buying the ports that opens up a whole new can of worms. But what you originally said I think was disrespect. Just my 2 cents. wink

JHendrix

first off correct me if im being incoherent or misunderstanding
im in the middle of doing something but wanna get this post off before to late

let's look at it this way
ng.com has some old carts for sale
if I just dl those roms
but buy the new games im supporting snkp
right?

imho WRONG
if you pump money into ng.com by buying old carts you are allowing shawn to be able to purchase and offer more new snkp games

so you are indirectly supporting snkp

even buying new games is indirect support
its not like snkp sees the 335 you are going to spend on svc
Ehh, not so true. You're talking about supporting Shawn and that's very different from supporting different re-sellers.

I've bought a few things off Shawn in the past, and I'm getting SvC off him, the man is one of those incredible sellers I was talking about earlier. But that doesn't mean I'm buying some of the other stuff he sells, it's too over priced for my liking. But like with any seller, when he's offering an item I want for the price I want, then I'll be there to pick it up.

And as for supporting a reseller so they can afford new releases to stock, that's a little backwards. If they want to take the risk in stocking things in order to sell them, that's what they do it's how you run a store.

Look at it this way, using Shawn as an example. It costs $XX,XXX amount of money to order a set of US SvC carts right? Reguardless of how good or bad the sales are of old stock you can be assure that Shawn (or any other smart retailer) will stock a good amount of SvC carts because they know that they will sell. It's all about what the market will support.

People who re-sell used games make a profit, and what ever the markup is over what they paid for it, that's their profit. Hell what if I were to own only a Neo-Geo AES, and all I wanted were the new releses. I own MS3, Sengoku 3 (lord knows why, but follow me on this), KOF2k1, 2k2, MS4, ROTD, and Matrimelee.

Am I now not supporting the scene and the new releases? Yet I haven't put a dime into the used game sales that people have here.

What if I have all those games, but I buy all my used games from individual sales in the selling forum? There is no indirect SNKP support there, just giving money to someone with a cart to sell.

And BTW, SNKP does see quite a few dimes from that $325 I spend on a new release. They make their money off of the initial sale of the cart to Shawn, who makes his investment back through my sale.

With old games, it's different, SNK made their profit off of it a long long time ago, now the only person who see's money from a $2000 Metal Slug AES sale is the reseller.

Let me clarify.
I still think it is disrespect.

If you buy a mame cabinet and just dl the romz while conciously(sp) knowing that you are not supporting resellers, snkp, the scene, whatever (they're all connected).

It is disrespect to those who took they're time putting it together, those legally purchasing/supporting the sellers, those selling the games, etc.

If you throw in buying the ports that opens up a whole new can of worms. But what you originally said I think was disrespect. Just my 2 cents.
Heh, yeah buying "teh portz" is that evil little way of showing monetary support but still sorta getting the "perfect version" of the game (through ROMZ).

But at the same time, it'd be the same thing as me not owning those games and only buying the ports, SNKP would have the same level of support from me and yet they have lost nothing.

Kinda why Capcom doesn't really care about shutting down MAME dev or rom distrobution sites. They've made their money off those games already and the new stuff they make isn't going to be emulated any time soon. I mean they're not selling any more copies of Alpha 3 anymore, all they can hope for from that title is to produce another fan of the series who will buy future products, and MAME will give them just that.

ThePunisher

SouthTown StreetSweeper
And as for supporting a reseller so they can afford new releases to stock, that's a little backwards. If they want to take the risk in stocking things in order to sell them, that's what they do it's how you run a store.
Why would any reseller take the risk stocking new neo geo games (even svc) when the old ones arent selling? Or even worse what if they simply go out of buisness?

Of course not every reseller stocks new releases but by supporting any home cart I think you send a message to sellers that they are still in demand. AKA making it less risky to stock new ones.

People who re-sell used games make a profit, and what ever the markup is over what they paid for it, that's their profit. Hell what if I were to own only a Neo-Geo AES, and all I wanted were the new releses. I own MS3, Sengoku 3 (lord knows why, but follow me on this), KOF2k1, 2k2, MS4, ROTD, and Matrimelee.

Am I now not supporting the scene and the new releases? Yet I haven't put a dime into the used game sales that people have here.
You lost me here. Could you clarify maybe?

What if I have all those games, but I buy all my used games from individual sales in the selling forum? There is no indirect SNKP support there, just giving money to someone with a cart to sell.
Yes there is.
Of course not always.
But look when I sold an aof3 homecart on the selling forum (actually it ended up on ebay, but whatever) I used the money I got from it to buy slug 3.

If someone had just dled the aof3 rom. I wouldnt have been able to make the money to buy slug 3 and indirectly support snkp.

So the individual sale supports buyers (me) to support resellers who hopefully stock or will begin to stock new releases thus directly supporting snkp.

And BTW, SNKP does see quite a few dimes from that $325 I spend on a new release. They make their money off of the initial sale of the cart to Shawn, who makes his investment back through my sale.
Dude no they dont. They see shawns money when he buys it wholesale and then shawn sees my money when I buy it resale. Shawn is the only one supporting them directly in this sale. Im just supporting the reseller (Shawn).

With old games, it's different, SNK made their profit off of it a long long time ago, now the only person who see's money from a $2000 Metal Slug AES sale is the reseller.
Yea I know but my point is he might use that 2k to help him stock new games thus directly supporting snkp.

Heh, yeah buying "teh portz" is that evil little way of showing monetary support but still sorta getting the "perfect version" of the game (through ROMZ).
That in itself is disrespectful. If you want the perfect game. Pay the money for the perfect game.

But at the same time, it'd be the same thing as me not owning those games and only buying the ports, SNKP would have the same level of support from me and yet they have lost nothing.
Thats a pretty good point.

Not that good...but I can feel it. (i gotta stop saying that) :p

Kinda why Capcom doesn't really care about shutting down MAME dev or rom distrobution sites. They've made their money off those games already and the new stuff they make isn't going to be emulated any time soon. I mean they're not selling any more copies of Alpha 3 anymore, all they can hope for from that title is to produce another fan of the series who will buy future products, and MAME will give them just that.
Another good point.

Now it really just comes down to what you think will be better for snkp.

Supporting resellers or having more people "try" romz for free.

I dont think I agree with you on this one.
Nice convo though :D

<small>[ August 25, 2003, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: ThePunisher ]</small>

JHendrix

ThePunisher:

I dont think I agree with you on this one.
Nice convo though :D
Ditto. :D

Actually, I think I may have to concede a point or two here.

Just going with the ROMZ from the start isn't really disrespectful in and of itself, especially if you support SNKP through purchasing ports. There is sort of an ignorance there.

But yeah, being in the scene, knowing about the ins and outs of the Neo and what is what, etc. And then going to ROMZ is like the ultimate disrespect to the scene. You essentially are saying a big "fuck you" to just about everyone here when you go strictly ROMZ or frequently play ROMZ of games you don't own. It's like cheating the system or bypassing it all together.

Kind of like how you'll see stuff from Shawn about "keeping the Neo alive" buy purchasing home carts. Because that's essentially what you're doing. Showing SNKP that there is a market for this stuff and they should continue to make it.

When you stop doing that and only support SNKP through ports on other platforms, then you're doing probably more to kill the Neo platform now than someone who has the ROMZ and buys nothing, or someone who doesn't play it at all. You are essentialy putting SNKP in a position where they have to develop for another system in order to get your money again.

This doesn't mean you're not supporting SNKP, but you're just telling them to drop the Neo-Geo.

Kind of interesting when you think about it...

For the record though, I don't think I'll ever willingly sell my Neo stuff... :p