SNK in the rounds of latest EGM issue

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
Page 50, one full page that talks about the rise and fall of 2D powerhouse SNK. Shows SNK 2D Forever t-shirt that says 1978-2001.

Article mentions a special KoF 2-in-1 package for PS2 (KOF 2000 and 2001) and a GBA Metal Slug, and MS3 on PS2. Future plans include $9.99 PS1 versions of old Neo*Geo hits, arcade classic compilations and 3D games! Though Herman confirms this does not mean they'll stop with the 2D games.

The future looks bright is basically what the article says. SNK is alive and well

Giga Power

Host for Orochi,
Even though I already knew everything, it's always great to hear SNK mentioned in mainstream magazines.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
hiccup

<small>[ August 23, 2003, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: the roker ]</small>

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Which EGM is this? Do you have a subscription, or this available in stores now?

Its also the same fuckin magazine that gave Last Resort a 6,5,4,4 rating or something like that.

I could never forgive EGM's idiotic editors for their scores on that game.

c.t.h

Maxima's Barber
The greatest hits thing is cool, slightly puzzling to me tho...why would you release them on playstation - why not ps2, then you could get more games on one disk. Would probably run better too. But I guess they want to be able to reach the ps1 userbase as well as the ps2.

/thinking out loud

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
It's the October issue,2003 number 171. It has SOCOM 2 on the cover.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Electroman:
Its also the same fuckin magazine that gave Last Resort a 6,5,4,4 rating or something like that.

Once again, nobody listens to a god damn thing I have to say, so I'll repeat myself. EGM has given some really outstanding scores with their 1999 and 2000 crew. The Last Blade got a silver, and I'm pretty sure MOTM, Gals Fighters, and CFC got medals too.

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
Lets Gekiga In:
Electroman:

Once again, nobody listens to a god damn thing I have to say, so I'll repeat myself. EGM has given some really outstanding scores with their 1999 and 2000 crew. The Last Blade got a silver, and I'm pretty sure MOTM, Gals Fighters, and CFC got medals too.
Agreed with Gekiga.

Hey, where else would you find HIGH PRAISE for the World Heroes games?

I mean, while GamePro was trashing the Heroes and GameFan uninterested, EGM gave WH2Jet the Game of the Month award! (issue 60)

EGM ... they alright in my book..

Lou Gojira

Enemy Chaser
Lets Gekiga In:
Electroman:

So EGM got their heads slightly out of their asses in 1999 and 2000. Big deal. Electroman has a strong point. If EGM hadn't been dickless morons back in the hey-day of the Neo Geo, perhaps more people would've bought into it. It's hard to tell somebody a system is good when a mainstream, and strangely enough, respected magazine like EGM is saying the complete and total opposite. Look at some of these lines out of that mag:

"Too much money for not enough fun."

"Best game there is or ever will be on the Neo Geo." (reference to Magician Lord)

"Are we seeing the limits of the Neo Geo?" (reference to Mutation Nation)

"This much slow down is inexcusable." (reference to Last Resort)

Sure they said Samurai Shodown was game of the year, but by this point, who was going to rush out and buy it? The same people they spent the entire year bashing the Neo Geo to?

If you've read enough of that magazine, it became all too evident that their higher opinions went the way of the higher paying advertisers. Capcom for example never got anything negative said about their fighters, while SNK was getting bashed for bringing out "too many fighters". And need I remind you of how Quartermann jumped through hoops of fire to explain to people how much better Super Street Fighter II was by not being Turbo? WTF? When SNK were putting supplements in that mag (I think three different times), the negativity was toned down or cut off. Go figure...

kc

Belnar Institute Student
i have to agree with Lou Gojira buttrock buttrock

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
EGM may have been a good source for Neo Geo stuff in the past, but they sure don't show the system any love these days. To say that the company has "fallen", when they have indeed already risen is just stupid. I haven't read the article, but do they mention anywhere how SNK is now Playmore, and that they are trying to make their presence felt on a more international scale with games like SvC Chaos, the new SS or KOF 2003? Or are they making it sound as if they're just "out of business" and that the new company in charge is "liquidating" old software ports and NGPC hardware in order to make ends meet?

Steve: Ironically, GameFan actually gave a HUGE spread and review towards World Heroes Perfect when that game debuted. Plenty of pictures, and a rather nice review to boot. We can't say that these magazines were not interested, however, we can say that these gaming magazines only look at games from a mainstream point of view... and the Neo Geo has never been a mainstream system.

<small>[ August 24, 2003, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: VinylBoy ]</small>

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Lou Gojira:
Lets Gekiga In:
Electroman:

So EGM got their heads slightly out of their asses in 1999 and 2000. Big deal. Electroman has a strong point. If EGM hadn't been dickless morons back in the hey-day of the Neo Geo, perhaps more people would've bought into it. It's hard to tell somebody a system is good when a mainstream, and strangely enough, respected magazine like EGM is saying the complete and total opposite. Look at some of these lines out of that mag:

"Too much money for not enough fun."

"Best game there is or ever will be on the Neo Geo." (reference to Magician Lord)

"Are we seeing the limits of the Neo Geo?" (reference to Mutation Nation)

"This much slow down is inexcusable." (reference to Last Resort)

Sure they said Samurai Shodown was game of the year, but by this point, who was going to rush out and buy it? The same people they spent the entire year bashing the Neo Geo to?

If you've read enough of that magazine, it became all too evident that their higher opinions went the way of the higher paying advertisers. Capcom for example never got anything negative said about their fighters, while SNK was getting bashed for bringing out "too many fighters". And need I remind you of how Quartermann jumped through hoops of fire to explain to people how much better Super Street Fighter II was by not being Turbo? WTF? When SNK were putting supplements in that mag (I think three different times), the negativity was toned down or cut off. Go figure...
You also have to remember the editors don't stay the same all the time. The late 90's and early 2000 EGM editors who were pretty new at that time gave plenty of praise to NGPC.

seba_boi

Terry Bogard's Taylor
Lets Gekiga In:
Electroman:

They gave Garou an 8 with one person rating the game!...

rugal2000

, Troll Me, , Cuz I is 3lit3, ,
the 1995 and 1996 end of year console reviews in egm were also greatly dimissive of the neo geo as a console. They seemed to rate it somewhere below the jaguar and 3do. Fucking morons...they said it was " a cool machine if you like shooters and baseball games". And this was long before the slug series and all those 1998-2001 shooters came out.In fact up to 1996 it probbly only had 6-7 shooters on the console and only 3 baseball games, so where they got that from...fuck knows

EMAGDNIM

Vice's Love Slave
Crap...the new issue isin't out around my area...and don't take all of EGMs' comments to heart...

edited because I'm slow... eek_2

<small>[ August 27, 2003, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: EMAGDNIM ]</small>

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
EMAGDNIM:
Crap...the new issue isin't out around my area...and don't take all of EGMs the comments to heart...
<a href="http://www.angelfire.com/fl5/garou/english.mp3" target="_blank">http://www.angelfire.com/fl5/garou/english.mp3</a>

Robert

20 Year Member
I remember an article about SNK on a french magazine at the beginning of 2002 and all the pics came from emu. We could see a pic of SSK3 with some glitches and the comment was "you can see a bug of the game"..... :rolleyes:

EMAGDNIM

Vice's Love Slave
Lets Gekiga In:
EMAGDNIM:
Crap...the new issue isin't out around my area...and don't take all of EGMs the comments to heart...
<a href="http://www.angelfire.com/fl5/garou/english.mp3" target="_blank">http://www.angelfire.com/fl5/garou/english.mp3</a>
Sorry for the typo...I was in a rush to get outta here eek_2 pfff...

Shapermc

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
VinylBoy:
I haven't read the article, but do they mention anywhere how SNK is now Playmore, and that they are trying to make their presence felt on a more international scale with games like SvC Chaos, the new SS or KOF 2003?
Sort of kind of. They mention the financial situation and how they got dicked. Now they are getting some lawsuites wrapped up and back on their feet. This article does not really mention too many games, it is not the focus. It is not a bad article, I am supprised.

The president of SNKP was quoted as saying someting to the effect of "I want there to be a comma after the 2001 on that teeshirt that says 2003 and going strong again." Pretty good article, I got it in the mail last night.

VinylBoy:
Or are they making it sound as if they're just "out of business" and that the new company in charge is "liquidating" old software ports and NGPC hardware in order to make ends meet?
No, not at all.

Actually the best part of all of this is that the page that the article is in is located right next to a large removable strategy guide thing. It is a sports one, but it still MAKES people turn to the page, especially if they dont take that out.

jruizleon

Crazed MVS Addict
Electroman:

I remember those scores and other mag reviews. They all based their reviews on the price of the game not on the quality.

Kevin Paul

Overtop Pathfinder
You can check out the latest Game Now (EGM's sister magazine). They have a pic of Rock Howard's doing a "RAAAGIING STORM" in an Art Gallery. They also have a fighting game article, in which they mention KOF, Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, KOF 98, Mark of the Wolves and SVC.