KOF 2003 MVS Release Date

Robert

20 Year Member
People are so busy with SvC,SS0 and MS5 that this release will be quite forgotten.

kshira

Crazed MVS Addict
Can anyone put up a link to this info. Wanna see... multi_co

Talen

Leona's Therapis,
jov luke:
General_Morden:
According to gamefront SNK-Playmore will release KOF 2003 MVS in November!
PCB or actual MVS cart?
PCB would make sense, I doubt if they went to the effort of working up a new encryption sceme they would only use it on one game.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
robert:
People are so busy with SvC,SS0 and MS5 that this release will be quite forgotten.
Perhaps quicker than people could forget about 2001 and 2002... KoF = dead.

Scalpeur

Genam's Azami Sharpener
hum... not sure gamefront got accurate sources...
everything here should make us think there won't be any KOF these year... and if it is this year it can only be in december because of the release of ss0 and svcc.
Moreover, we didn't even heard anything official about this title so far (not even an artwork).
So... I think gamefront has just got a dream wink .

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
EvilWasabi:
robert:
Perhaps quicker than people could forget about 2001 and 2002... KoF = dead.
Couldn't of said it better myself.

And the sooner Playmore wake up to this the better.

I really hate it when a quality series is ruined because the producers just bleed it bone dry... annoyed

Giga Power

Host for Orochi,
Fuck that. I don't know why everyone here hates KOF so much lately, I recall that when 2002 first came out everyone was like "this is awesome". But no a few months later the general thoughts are that the past few have "sucked".
Fuck that.
The series hasn't had a bad installment, and I for one am damn glad that the series is moving foward. Neo Geo without KOF? I can't even think about that. It's just not possible.
Long live KOF.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
It's not really like that. It's just that the ones who still love KOF are busy talking on the KOF forums, discussing characters, combos, and other such. Just that the ones knocking KOF are incredibly vocal about it without much people bothering to come in every single time and defend it. Basically, you can say some are sick of dealing with arguments so if they don't have anything nice to say about the way people are knocking KOF, they rather keep it to themselves and just talk about what they like in KOF.

deathknight

Zero's Tailor
Scalpeur:
hum... not sure gamefront got accurate sources...
everything here should make us think there won't be any KOF these year... and if it is this year it can only be in december because of the release of ss0 and svcc.
Moreover, we didn't even heard anything official about this title so far (not even an artwork).
So... I think gamefront has just got a dream wink .
gamefront has always been right in the past...

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Giga Power:
Fuck that. I don't know why everyone here hates KOF so much lately, I recall that when 2002 first came out everyone was like "this is awesome". But no a few months later the general thoughts are that the past few have "sucked".
Fuck that.
The series hasn't had a bad installment, and I for one am damn glad that the series is moving foward. Neo Geo without KOF? I can't even think about that. It's just not possible.
Long live KOF.
THANK YOU!

I swear man, so many people here bitch about KOF releases, but I'll tell you this much.

If I had to pick two KOF's to sit down and play with my friends competitively I'd pick 98 and 2k2, as they're pretty much the top of the series IMHO.

I hate how people bitch about the latest installments, even 2k1 added a lot for us to play that KOF2k2 improved upon.

Angel was one of them. wink

cLo

Marked Wolf
I'll believe it when I see it. Kinda hard to believe with Svc, SS0, and MS5 right around the corner.

<small>[ August 18, 2003, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: cLo ]</small>

Jedite

Bunker Buster
cLo:
I'll believe it when I see it.
Same here, I won't believe because it could be a rumor stirred up by Gamefront, and SNK/Playmore haven't said one word bout it. But, I think that Playmore should skip KOF 2003, and put a lot of effort into making '04. KOF 2003 is clouded, because of the releases of SVC and SS0, so, they know that KOF ain't gonna sell as well as those releases. Like it or not, KOF is redundant, and the storyline needs a makeover.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
I definitely agree with that case. I think trying to get a KOF 2003 out right now maybe spreading themselves too thin, too quickly. It maybe best for them, since the next KOF marks a new beginning, to take their time so that their new system and/or storyline will be as inspired and given the tender loving care it needs.

There's a whole lot of work needed to do a new series, and they can't afford to rush that.

<small>[ August 18, 2003, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: Kirk Foiden ]</small>

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Man you guys act like a new KOF is hard to do. All they have to do is draw (maybe) 7-10 new backgrounds... rip all the old sprites, tweak a bit of gameplay... Maybe write a few new songs and an intro... and poof, KOF2003. I mean really, they haven't done a lot of work on them since 99! This is a month project at best, no reason why they couldn't squeeze out a KOF this year!

-Nick

Setsuna1982

World Her,
Jedite:
KOF 2003 is clouded, because of the releases of SVC and SS0, so, they know that KOF ain't gonna sell as well as those releases.
"Eclipsed" is more accurate

Setsuna1982

World Her,
nruva:
Man you guys act like a new KOF is hard to do. All they have to do is draw (maybe) 7-10 new backgrounds... rip all the old sprites, tweak a bit of gameplay... Maybe write a few new songs and an intro... and poof, KOF2003. I mean really, they haven't done a lot of work on them since 99! This is a month project at best, no reason why they couldn't squeeze out a KOF this year!

-Nick
100% agreed.

In one month Playmore can create 6 or 7 backgrounds easily. Put 2 months creating 4 or 5 new chars. And a month tweaking the system (and that's a lot of time for an engine THAT reused).

So in the worst time it should be around 2 months. And I know what i'm talking about. Perhaps the first kof were a hell... but it's 2003 and SNK/Playmore should know the kof engine and production method perfectly.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I for one still like the KOF series, but I also believe it's past its prime. The series does need to be reinvented, and I think the majority of gamers here wouldn't mind a year break.

The best way to improve this game is simple . . . add some teams from other SNK games. It's pretty much an AOF vs. FF game, with Ikari Warriors and Athena. How about some Sam Sho characters? I know it's absurd, but so is Bao. Or a Kizuna Encounter team, this would fit in better.

I would like them to take it to the next level and maybe allow some characters to get old, redraw Terry, Iori, and Kyo. Replace Kaphwan with Jae Hoon and Dong Hwan (yes, it is sad, but we all know Kaphwan is dead). Put Rock in the game. Bring back Eiji and Mr. Big. How about another boss team?

Does SNK have the rights to ADK characters? If they do, make a team of World Heroes and Gan Gan. As it is, the series is made for the hardcore, so why not appease the hardcore with some fan favs?

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
KOF typically makes a major rehaul to the fight system with each new trilogy. And even then quite a few changes are made during the progression. Sure certain standard collision routines are similar, but everything else changes, and they need to make it a solid system. KOF 2000 may have been generally a tweaked KOF 99, but KOF 2001 was a major change. KOF 2002 while having certain things taken from a combination of older games, still had to make something new out of them. Heck, the KOF 99 to KOF2002 changes are at least as drastic as KOF 95 was to the KOF 98 advanced system. Heck KOF 97 was closer to KOF 98 than KOF 2001 was to KOF 2002.

Not to mention hardly anyone could say that KOF99 wasn't a major change from KOF 98. Heck even the flak that came because of such changes defies the whole analogy that nothing gets changed much. A start of a new series needs just as much of a change and a decent story plan that's thought through to some conclusion (not necessary every single detail, but to a general well thought progression minus certain character decisions made from year to year). This isn't like some Street Fighter where the story can go straight to heck, or Guilty Gear where the storyline really isn't planned ahead, but simply built from the previous one. KOF separated itself from the rest with that notion, and I think it should remain that way.

If they simply slap together stuff like that, then it would be more uninspired than a dream match. Since a Dream match is more like a combination of favorite voted parts of systems (so far) without the worry of story progression or inventing something completely new. Something this next game wouldn't be.

Like the above poster said. KOF will definitely stale out if they don't make a major change for this next installment. Sure, they can keep moving characters and all, but they need to work in a new gimmick. Something progressive and on the cutting edge. And this time, with nobody else's help in inspiring the next phase. (Because generally their main rival has taken a sabbatical). Technically, they need to do what KOF 99 did after KOF 98. Come at you with a wild new angle. Of course, some people may not like it, but I generally welcome the change and the risks that are taken with such a change. The old SNK wasn't afraid to take risks, let's hope SNKPlaymore still shares that thought.

<small>[ August 18, 2003, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: Kirk Foiden ]</small>

Muchiko

Mr. Big's Thug
For a KOF freak like myself, I am very much anticipating 2003 as it will introduce a new saga. And here hoping that Jhun Hoon makes the cut.

And I can care less about SvC, SS0, or MS5. I'm sure the other players here can say the same. Any SNK games here that isn't KOF, won't get played; that's a fact.

Yes, I have played SvC.

Tuba

n00b
The best way to improve this game is simple . . . add some teams from other SNK games. It's pretty much an AOF vs. FF game, with Ikari Warriors and Athena. How about some Sam Sho characters? I know it's absurd, but so is Bao. Or a Kizuna Encounter team, this would fit in better.

I would like them to take it to the next level and maybe allow some characters to get old, redraw Terry, Iori, and Kyo. Replace Kaphwan with Jae Hoon and Dong Hwan (yes, it is sad, but we all know Kaphwan is dead). Put Rock in the game. Bring back Eiji and Mr. Big. How about another boss team?
Agreed. The initial idea of KOF was to mix up a bunch of characters from various fighting games and snk did it till KOF2k. 97 had Mary and Yamazaki from FF and 99 had Xiang Fei from Real Bout FF 2. Playmore forgot that and on 2k1 they´ve just added some new crappy characters, they really could add some old FF and AoF characters that haven´t been used yet like Hon Fu, Bob Wilson or Eiji again. And it would be nice to see a Matrimelee and a ROTD team.
Since a new story will begin, Playmore could start a totally new game in the future with Garou characters and maybe old Kyo and Iori.
Doing some better backgrounds and musics is essential, kof 2k1 and 2k2 have awfull backgrounds that look like old SNES Takara neo geo conversions. Playmore showed us on Matrimelee that it can make some nice backgrounds and music.