Samurai Showdown 2 Tourney in Philly.

UnCauzi

Crazed MVS Addict
Well at least there might be, we're trying to add Samurai Showdown 2 too a Big Philly Console Tourney for experimental reasons maybe more than anything else. Problems we're facing is what system would we run it on? We'd like to run it on the NeoGeo system but none of us have one. Anyone in the NE that's into competitive gaming that would like to bring one around?

I guess we can always "Emulate" it, but PC sticks are always iffy at best. Hell if we get some people coming we'll try and add more SNK games to future tournaments.

Let me know if anyone has any ideas.

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
MUW HAHAHA! Now when do you plan to have this "tournament." I do have a Neo AND the beloved Samurai Showdown II.

UnCauzi

Crazed MVS Addict
It looks like it will be late September or early October. We're looking at a place around Lancaster and 35th ave. More details as they come up.

BoriquaSNK

His Excellency BoriquaSNK,, The Ambassador of Appl
15 Year Member
If this is MVS then I can bring some of my carts. I go to Temple. Where are you guys at?

UnCauzi

Crazed MVS Addict
Rock on, so I have possibly 2 people to bring MVS machines + joysticks etc? No worries on the Tubes we can supply those.

Keep in mind that this will be a tournament on SS2 with a base 50-100 dollar pot most likely, entry fee my rest at 6 bucks.

We're also thinking about adding kof98.

While tournaments aren't running of course casual play will be encouraged on whatever you want to run on them.

But if I don't have at least 12 participants I'm probably not going to bother to run it. I think however the base prize money will bring in a few "why nots" who probably used to play the games.

email me if you're serious about helping out.
madcowlms@hotmail.com

UnCauzi

Crazed MVS Addict
BoriquaSNK:
If this is MVS then I can bring some of my carts. I go to Temple. Where are you guys at?
Looking at around 35th and Lancaster. Somewhat close to University Pinball.

BoriquaSNK

15 Year Member
whoa whoa, I can't bring a machine lol, I have a cabinet in Virginia...I can bring games. If you can get a hold of a few Philly residents (and there are many on here) who have an aes with a phantom then we're in business...or if you've got a supergun.

And we'd definately have to put on kof 98 as I suck at Sam sho 2 like a mother.

UnCauzi

Crazed MVS Addict
Oh my bad, AES is the home machine? Lol, I don't really know these things, I just want it to be a little more official than me dragging a computer with MAME in the tournament :p

abdul

Aero Fighters Flyboy
if this is actually gonna hppen, pm me with the directions, i might be in philly around then

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
I'm only one state over in New Jersey, and I do have SSII for the Neo Geo AES. I could bring my system and a few games for those who want to get some casual play in between tournament rounds.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
abdul:
if this is actually gonna hppen, pm me with the directions, i might be in philly around then
me too

UnCauzi

Crazed MVS Addict
Rpcl pm guys, looks like we may have some ss2 comp in the house after all wink I'll get more details to you as soon as we're able, and I'll look into a kof 98 work too.

Ven

Kabuki Klasher
Hehe, that'd be a fun tournament to watch. Unblockable Ukyo VS. Unblockable Cham-Cham VS. Throw Rush Hanzo/Galford VS. 100% combo Haohmaru. Whoever lands the first hit, wins. Just like when we play at my house.

That's what makes SS2 awesome, though. Way, way ahead of its time.

Darn, I wish I could come.

-Ven

BoriquaSNK

15 Year Member
nice nice, so is it on or what?

UnCauzi

Crazed MVS Addict
Oh the tournament is going to happen like 95% certain. It's going to be part of OD:Philly Five Hundred that will also feature MvC2 and GGXX confirmed possibly more. We're just solidifying the location. So possibly:

Big Shady can bring a AES and SS2.
and
Vinylboy can bring a AES and SS2.

Honestly that should be enough but anyone else in case we need backup plans? Also since I've never actually played on an AES system how faithful is it to Arcade SS2?

<small>[ August 16, 2003, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: UnCauzi ]</small>

UnCauzi

Crazed MVS Addict
Ven:
Hehe, that'd be a fun tournament to watch. Unblockable Ukyo VS. Unblockable Cham-Cham VS. Throw Rush Hanzo/Galford VS. 100% combo Haohmaru. Whoever lands the first hit, wins. Just like when we play at my house.

That's what makes SS2 awesome, though. Way, way ahead of its time.

Darn, I wish I could come.

-Ven
Not to mention priority whoring Genans, Charlottes, and chip master Seigers. Insane Genjuro slide madness and zone whoring Jubeis.

But yeah, blocking those crossups with Ukyo and Cham Cham are a nightmare lol.

the_colonel

Fio's Quartermaster
You've got to film this cometition, its so rare to see a ss2 comp, please you have to, this sort of thing will be kind of dim with out the footage.

UnCauzi

Crazed MVS Addict
the_colonel:
You've got to film this cometition, its so rare to see a ss2 comp, please you have to, this sort of thing will be kind of dim with out the footage.
It will be captured, all tournament matches will be most likely.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
AES(NGH/Home)=MVS(Arcade)

they just use different cart pinouts, but the roms are exactly the same.

now, if i go, i could bring mine as well, although i really dont know if i can.

i have ss2, wh2, real bout special, kof2k, and metal slug 3 (not a very big collection eh?)

oh, and by that time, SOMEONES gotta have a svc cart.

the_colonel

Fio's Quartermaster
UnCauzi:
the_colonel:
It will be captured, all tournament matches will be most likely.
Cool, I sure hope it is, i wanna see some ukyo players get kaned by some hanzo/galford players, if its possible, come'on you ninja players, its time to seperate the men from the boys & don't forget there c A+B sweep slice, its one of there most powerfull moves.

BoriquaSNK

15 Year Member
if someone wants to bring a p1 or supergun, I've got quite a few games I'd be happy to bring. This is gonna be tight.

Ven

Kabuki Klasher
Yeah, SS2 rocks. Pretty much everyone is totally cheap. It's the SNK way.

Has so many funny things in its system, too. Like ducking. Ducking randomly rules.

Oh, and Sonic, your signature rules too.

-Ven

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
UnCauzi:
Oh the tournament is going to happen like 95% certain. It's going to be part of OD:Philly Five Hundred that will also feature MvC2 and GGXX confirmed possibly more. We're just solidifying the location. So possibly:

Big Shady can bring a AES and SS2.
and
Vinylboy can bring a AES and SS2.

Honestly that should be enough but anyone else in case we need backup plans? Also since I've never actually played on an AES system how faithful is it to Arcade SS2?
I can also bring KOF '98 (or any KOF up to '01) as well. Might as well throw that in the mix too. Other games to play? Twinkle Star Sprites? :D

BTW... the AES is just like playing the arcade. Exact translation from the original games we all played from the arcades. All combos, abuseable moves and "doll attacks" are there. This sounds like it can be a lot of fun.

<small>[ August 18, 2003, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: VinylBoy ]</small>