Very long Matrimelee review, and a new in-depth Matrimelee Moves/Combos Guide online!

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
Matrimelee Reviews:

I finally managed to finish off my in-depth Matrimelee review today. It spans four pages and is a very long read, but hopefully you will find it interesting and helpful if you are planning on getting the game! It features the usual screenshots, character profiles and a few MP3 samples of the music, and you can check it out <a href="http://www.neogeoforlife.com/reviews/matrimelee_1a.shtml" target="_blank">here</a>! I was also sent another review of the game by long time NeoGeoForLife.com contributor Raiken. His review of the game can also be found on my site.

Brand new Matrimelee Moves/Combo Guide:

For the past week me and a few of my forum members have been working on a combo/moves guide for Matrimelee as well. I decided to do this as I have been playing the game a LOT recently and although it is a great game, it doesn't seem to get as much coverage as it deserves. Although there are a couple of good FAQ's that have been written, I wanted to do something a little more in depth... this new section features moves lists and character profiles, as well as combo guides with pictures that demonstrate how each combo is performed etc. The Matrimelee guide can be found at my site by clicking <a href="http://www.neogeoforlife.com/combos/matrimelee/matrimelee.shtml" target="_blank">here</a>!

We've added details for quite a few combos already, but the section is still very new so a couple of characters don't have guides just yet, and some characters don't have many combos listed right now. We will be constantly adding new stuff to this section however, so expect to see it improve a great deal in the very near future! I would also welcome any contributions from other people that play the game - if you know a good combo that isn't listed, if you email me the details I can add it (and you will of course be credited for your info). Please don't send anything just yet though - I'll post details on how to submit your combos in the next couple of days buttrock

I'll make another update soon, but in the meantime, check out the new Matrimelee stuff, play the game, and be sure to let us know what you think! Any constructive feedback is appreciated! :)

Kaz

<small>[ August 11, 2003, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: Kazuya_UK ]</small>

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
Definately agree with you Kaz, you pointed out the games minor flaws which it definately does has, but you say exactly what the game is and is meant to be and thats FUN!!

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Kazuya_UK:
I'll post details on how to submit your combos in the next couple of days
Just an FYI, I have a 90% complete Matrimelee FAQ that I cooked up that's been sitting around incomplete ever since SVC came out. Hopefully I'll be able to post it soon... it has a lot of combos already there and lists the linkers which are very useful for combo building.

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
neojedi:
Kazuya_UK:
I'll post details on how to submit your combos in the next couple of days
Just an FYI, I have a 90% complete Matrimelee FAQ that I cooked up that's been sitting around incomplete ever since SVC came out. Hopefully I'll be able to post it soon... it has a lot of combos already there and lists the linkers which are very useful for combo building.
Cool, sounds good! Would you mind if I posted your FAQ on my site as well? I am going to carry on working on my guide over the next couple of weeks, but it takes some time to do it as taking screenshots for each combo etc can be a real pain :)

NeoD: thanks! :D

Kaz

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Awesome read :D

Now only if I wasn't so strapped for cash and saving for SvC, I'd think I would buy this cart from Shawn. Just got Metal Slug 3 anyways, I needed something to break away from the 8 fighting games in my library.

The game sounds like great fun and hopefully pick up after SvC.

ThePunisher

SouthTown StreetSweeper
That was a tops review! :cool:
You really got an excellent site going there.

Anyway your review defintly got me interested in a game I was going to forget in the wake of svc. Like shady I only got the cash for one and like shady I might pick up matrimelee after I get SvC. :)

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Kazuya_UK:
Would you mind if I posted your FAQ on my site as well?
No problem. Again, I'll try to get off my butt and finish this... part of the problem is that I wrote a frickin' essay on how Jones' level 2 super works. :D

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
I agree with this review completely. Awesome job. Simply an amazing review. Far better than any 'professional' review I've seen in years. Everyone who's even remotely interested in the game can find out almost anything they want from that.

Although, maybe I missed something, but I don't remember seeing you mention that any character can do a second jump in the air at any time. I think this adds quite a bit of depth because you can't judge as well where someone is going to actually end up when they land.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Awesome review and combo guide. Maybe next time I play at the arcade against somebody I won't horribly suck. :D

Btw, for those who feel the matches go too fast in single player, set it to a total of 5 matches instead of 3. It extends the playtime quite a bit. :)

*desperately wants mp3s of the OST*

<small>[ August 11, 2003, 12:59 AM: Message edited by: Fygee ]</small>

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
dmhawkmoon:
I agree with this review completely. Awesome job. Simply an amazing review. Far better than any 'professional' review I've seen in years. Everyone who's even remotely interested in the game can find out almost anything they want from that.

Although, maybe I missed something, but I don't remember seeing you mention that any character can do a second jump in the air at any time. I think this adds quite a bit of depth because you can't judge as well where someone is going to actually end up when they land.
I think you are right actually... I thought I had written something in the "game system" section, but I must haver forgotten to do it. I think it's because I was working on the combo section at the same time and probably wrote some info about double jumping in there and didn't put it in the review.

Thanks for all the compliments, it's much appreciated. Matrimelee is a cool game and it's definitely worth buying in my opinion. I suppose it's true that most peoples attention has been diverted towards SvC and SS0 though... in fact I almost decided to save my cash for those games instead... but I'm glad I didn't. Try the game before you buy it if you can just to make sure it's your sort of thing though.

Damn, I just hope I have the cash to afford SvC and SS0 (and hopefully we see a damn MVS cart soon :) )... it's gonna be tight but I really do *need* those games almost as much as I need oxygen wink

Kaz

corbo 2

Genjuro's Frog
As always that was a great review Kaz,and i finally got a great view of this underrated game.It sounds like a blast,since my fighting skills ain't that good it's a perfect kind of game for me.Let's hope MVS kit price drop soon :D

Also the music is really something for the Neo,really different and enjoyed them music clips.

Thanks Kaz :)

<small>[ August 11, 2003, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: corbo 2 ]</small>

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
corbo 2:
As always that was a great review Kaz,and i finally got a great view of this underrated game.It sounds like a blast,since my fighting skills ain't that good it's a perfect kind of game for me.Let's hope MVS kit price drop soon :D

Also the music is really something for the Neo,really different and enjoyed them music clips.

Thanks Kaz :)
Thanks :) The cheapest price I have seen at the moment is Cosmicco in HK, but you are still looking at $200 or so plus shipping... depends on what you wanna pay for it. It will drop, but I doubt it will do so as much as RotD as they probably didn't make as many Matrimelee carts as they did with that game.

Kaz

John_Smith

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Fantastic Review Kaz! Really fair and remarkably unbiased, which is a credit to you being such an ardent Neo fan! I actually got my copy only days before you got yours so am still very hyped about it and your mammoth review really struck a chord with me! Probably one thing that I first loved about this title is that it seemed so late 80's Hong Kong cinema cool, particularly in the audio department. I was reared on all the early greats of Hong Kong cinema, everything from Chow Yun Fat in 'The Killer' and 'Hard Boiled' to wacky stuff like 'Chinese Ghost Story' and other odd-ball titles. And lets not forget that Japanese classic 'Monkey Magic'. I eat this stuff up and so Matrimelee really works for me!

Hats off to ya man, you're the king! :D

Cheers!
Toby

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
Thanks! I grew up watching HK stuff too, and it's funny because you listed my two favourite Woo/CYF collaborations. Chinese Ghost Story was also great... I hear HK Legends are doing a re-release of that film on DVD, which should be good as right now I'm stuck with a couple of 4 year old fuzzy VHS tapes of that :)

You had to mention Monkey though... I'm gonna have the theme tune stuck in my head for the rest of the day now loco

Kaz

ps did you get the Matrimelee MVS boards pictures I posted for you a while back in tech support btw? You didn't reply but I figured you had probably seen them anyway, just checking to make sure.

EMAGDNIM

Vice's Love Slave
Whoa...that was a great review (Like always wink )

It makes me want to buy it now, and I would...but I need SNK vs. Capcom first :D

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
EMAGDNIM:
Whoa...that was a great review (Like always wink )

It makes me want to buy it now, and I would...but I need SNK vs. Capcom first :D
Thanks! :) Personally, I just took the plunge and bought Matrimelee... now I've gotta save like crazy and hope that either we get a standard MVS cart of SvC, or that I can buy a cheap home cart system and get the home cart. I just hope I have enough cash :)

Kaz

AssassinStrike

Armored Scrum Object
Superb, best faq I’ve ever seen drool_2

I hate those shitty ega type faqs in gamefaqs some are very poor by people who haven’t even played the fecking game.

Hope you do one for SVC!?
buttrock

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
Thanks both!

Asassin: The reason I did it with pictures was because I used to love buying the old strategy guides for 2d games that had step by step pics of how to perform a combo... although text guides are great and very helpful, I think it is much easier when you can actually SEE what a combo is supposed to be like so that you can do it right :)

Kaz

AssassinStrike

Armored Scrum Object
I used to love buying the old strategy guides for 2d games that had step by step pics of how to perform a combo... although text guides are great and very helpful, I think it is much easier when you can actually SEE what a combo is supposed to be like so that you can do it right :)
Damn Straight plus the flawless execution of hmtl everything seems to be in place no dead links or jpeg disease.

This game is a real gem.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Nice review on Matrimelee, I think you've convinced me to buy the game sometime in the future, probably when the MVS price comes down a bit.

I absolutely LOVED Rage of the Dragons. I've played pretty much every fighter there is, and mastered many, but I can't deny that I love the simple, fun execution of the game. It's the only game since Street Fighter 2 that I've sat down and beaten it 4 times in a row without a break. Most can't hold my interest that long.

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
Thanks for the input guys. It would be cool if the price dropped down at some point (although I doubt it will drop down as much as RotD did). I'd probably feel bad cos I spent quite a bit of cash on it, but it would still be great as more people would get to play the game... which would be a great thing :)

If you plan on buying the MVS cart soon, try Cosmicco in HK... last I heard it had dropped below $200 there. Mine was $220 at the time (for a full Jpn kit).

Kaz

abdul

Aero Fighters Flyboy
great review, i didnt know it was your site??? the review of econd mission pushed me to buy that game, and i couldnet be happier, keep up the good work. :)

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
abdul:
great review, i didnt know it was your site??? the review of econd mission pushed me to buy that game, and i couldnet be happier, keep up the good work. :)
Cool, good to know that it helped with your purchase (and 2nd Mission is a great game, I regret selling it). Thanks man :)

Kaz