Strange SNK game on ebay

SmokeYa

Crossed Swords Squire
I found this strange SNK game for Playstation. Anybody ever hear of this game? I think it is an RPG. What is this game like?
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1212820173

------------------
SmokeYa

ss2_hanzolaff.gif

Laserblast

Hardened Shock Trooper
It's the RPG Kouldelka. It was released in the U.S. It plays like a cross between Resident Evil and Final Fantasy, but nowhere near as good as either!
frown.gif
It isn't completely horrible and has good art and character design but most people found the battle system repetitive. Good cinemas though. The copy on EBAY might be bootleg.
frown.gif

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Actually, it looks like that's the import version in the e-bay auction. Since you can get the game domestically, I wouldn't pick up on it unless you can understand Japanese AND it's cheaper than buying the US release.

I'd say that Koudelka's got a very intriguing story with fully realized characters but a clumsy combat system and monotonous battles that simply take too long. Also, the control scheme when exploring is pseudo-Resident Evil-ish (good or bad, depending on what you think of RE). It's got great CGI cutscenes, but there aren't as many in the game as there should be. Let me give you an example.

In Resident Evil 2, there's a cinema for when you're walking down that first hall and the licker drops down on you. You'd figure pivotal events, or ones where characters are seeing something unusual for the first time, would have a necessary visual segue for dramatic effect. Capcom knows how to do this properly, as evidenced with RE's, and Dino Crisis's, numerous cutscenes.

Too many times in Koudelka I'd walk into a room with a boss and rather than getting a tension building cutscene, I get a text message that says "As soon as you walk to the back of the room, a giant plant attacks you!" Note, however, that there is no giant plant visible ANYWHERE on the screen.

Imagine, if you will, watching the movie Psycho. Janet Leigh goes to take her shower, and rather than Norman Bates coming in and stabbing her to death, a message appears on the screen saying "Shortly after she gets in the shower, Norman's mother walks in and stabs her to death!". It's this type of dramatic impotence that hurts Koudelka's efforts to be a respectable game.

Anyway, caveat emptor...

------------------
Taiso
'It's true....it's true.'

S

Silent_Scope

Guys, that's the import version for sure. Many mags give this game a really bad rating coz of repetitive game play and stupid battle system. And your weapons will break during the battle. Anyway, I bought this game brand new for $9 from Express.com. Not a bad deal, right? The reason why I bought the game is because of the CG. The company that creates this game has many ex-Squaresoft team members in it (no wonder the CG is so good....)

------------------
Silent_Scope
norikos.jpg

My dream girl....where are you?

S

Silent_Scope

This auction isn't that bad. Brand new and only starts with $9.99. Normally JPN version sells around $49 if you check NCS and other places. Of course US version is cheaper. I've seen $19.99 at local WalMart, brand new and $39.99 at GameStop.com.
I like JPN cover art better than US one...or should I say always
smile.gif

------------------
Silent_Scope
norikos.jpg

My dream girl....where are you?

SmokeYa

Crossed Swords Squire
Well thanks for the response guys. I was just surprised to see a game like that by SNK. I never knew they made games like that.

I haven't followed the Playstation market for a while.

------------------
SmokeYa

ss2_hanzolaff.gif