MVS 2??

eaglesfan

Quiz Detective
I heard a rumor recently from an arcade fan and operator of the future release of a MVS 2 board from Azure/SNK. According to the rumor, info was accidently posted on the web about the specs of the board and someone from SNK/Azure was fired for the leak--making it seem there was truth to it. It is to be a 2D board that would outperform the Sega Naomi used by Capcom now for its current arcade releases. The MVS 2 would replace the Naomi for Capcom games. Of course, this could just be wishful dreaming and is pure rumor at this point, but just wondering if anyone thinks this is possible or heard something similar.
It doesnt seem likely from Azure, but I guess stranger things have happened.

B

Bobak!

Sure would be interested if it were true!

The idea makes sense. SNK's tried to release another board before (Hyper 64, anyone?). Maybe Aruze wants to try it again.

CORE

n00b
It is A 3-D, 2-D system along the lines of the hyper 64, accept unlike the hyper its specs are actually impressive. its "code named" the equator. when I talked to tim jackson at apple systems he niether confirmed nor denied these rumors.

Jackal

SouthTown StreetSweeper
A 2D board that outperforms the Naomi?

Any board that can beat the Naomi at 2D has got to be hot stuff. As I understand it, the Naomi is "as good as it gets" for 2D games.

I hope it is true...

gameoverdude.jpg
www.gameoverdude.com
jackal.jpg

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Well, I guess I will see you all in 12 years when we can all afford one of these
smile.gif

Damn Naomi is not a MVS machine, a cart based powerful arcade machine would be great. But Naomi games are so freakin much! I am afraid to ask what this piece would cost.
-Nick

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
granted the MVS was a great machine, i doubt the engineers at SNK came up with something better than Naomi 2. Would be a great accomplishment tho.

------------------
last9.gif

eaglesfan

Quiz Detective
I agree with the Naomi being an incredible machine(read somewhere about it being the MVS of the next decade). I hope companies continue to support it for a long period of time(Capcom, Namco, etc). I also doubt that SNK would produce something that would top the Naomi 2--but you never know. I am guessing in another year, the price of a Naomi board will be under $500, although I know that is still high it will gradually reach an affordable amount through time.
By the way, are the arcade boards such as Naomi 2 worth the money. Do they outperform next generation consoles to the point to justify the price differences. I would think without the limitations of a home console and price limits, the arcade hardware boards should crush the home consoles. How much better than PS2 is the Naomi?? Should it compete with X-box??

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
The Naomi is simply Dreamcast hardware with more memory (and of course no CD)... it is not better spec wise then a PS2, whether or not it can perform better is still yet to be seen.

-Nick