King of the Monsters on PS2 and Gamecube?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
OK, not exactly, but at E3 there were two Monster fighting games that appeared to be direct rips of KOTM of old.

There is War of the Monsters (yeah, that aint obvious)on PS2 which is literly a clone of KOTM. You have tons of monsters, you fight it out in huge cities... grab cars, buildings, people, throw them at your opponent... Buildings blow out glass, crumble to the ground, explode, catch on fire... etc, etc. The coolest thing about it is, it is a split screen game, letting you navigate the city, but when you get close to the other monster it zooms in to a single screen for great carnage.... This one looks great... and is deffinetly a nice homage to King of the Monsters. You can instantly see the similarities.

The second was Godzilla on Gamecube. OK, this has the Zilla franchise and looks incredible, much better then the War of the Monsters, but... something about it didn't seem right. The city damage was not up to the very realistic War of the Monsters, and even though the monsters looked much better they didn't seem to have the personality of the War of the Monsters monsters. The one killer feature of this game though, is that it is 4 player simultaneous.

Anyway, I just thought it was funny to see two new games that were very similar to the Neo Geo classic. I will deffinetly be watching both titles in the months to come... I will try to get pictures tomorrow if I can borrow a digital camera, otherwise, watch your regular news sources for more info.

-Nick

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
i don't care Giant Monsters of any kind battling it out is fine in my book, and you all know G on the GC is gonna rule!! :D

[ May 23, 2002: Message edited by: NeoDragoN ]</p>

Mr. Wizard

Angel's Love Slave
Pictures are here:

<a href="http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/screenindex/0,11104,561529,00.html" target="_blank">http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/screenindex/0,11104,561529,00.html</a>

and here

<a href="http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/screenindex/0,11104,559915,00.html" target="_blank">http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/screenindex/0,11104,559915,00.html</a>

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
Originally posted by Neo Bomber Man:
<strong>Can anyone stop the madness?</strong><hr></blockquote>

just call JC!

wowee.
that guy almost looks like the great mazinger.
that giant robot game looks fun.

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
Thanks for the info! I will definitely
check out "War of the Monsters".

candycab

Vice's Love Slave
wasnt there supposed to be a Godzilla game on the Dream Cast ? I seem to remember something like that before it launched .

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
The Godzilla game on GameCube looks amazing from the screenshots. Definitely looks like the spiritual successor to KOTM.

candycab, there was a Godzilla game at launch for DC in Japan if I recall correctly, but it was not that great.

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
BioMotor is right Godzilla Generations and Godzilla Generations: Maximum Impact were both released on the DC. Both also weren't that good. Godzilla Generations was poor and Maximum Impact was a reworking of it, Godzilla Generations Special if you will. It's better but still not worth hunting down.

johnf878

Zero's Secretary
I always revered Rampage as the first of it's kind. Unfortunately, the upgrades were small and the title lost interest.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Oh and a note on the homage to KOTM. Well, I do agree in those shots Godzilla seems to be very similar to KOTM, and it is even 4 monsters at once (like KOTM), but when you sit down and play it, War of the Monsters is KOTM!!!! Or what it would have been if SNK could have done it this way in 1990. You can climb the buildings, take the buildings down, grab helicopters out of the air... toss them at the monster. The coolest thing... you can grab a Atenna off a building, throw it at the monster and impale him... he will sit and try to rip it out of his chest as you come bolting towards him... amazing monster movie stuff... very cool. And there is nothing like doing a huge combo and sending your opponent flying through two or three city blocks (buildings crumbling in the wake, glass blowing out into the street... and that is only at 40% complete!!!!). This is deffinetly a game to watch. Oh and Godzilla is going to be incredible to, but put the two side by side and WOTM kicks.

-Nick

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
Godzilla is like the Ryu of all monsters and Gamera is like Ryo Sakazaki if you know what i mean, hint hint. :D

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
Originally posted by Neo Rasa:
<strong>BioMotor is right Godzilla Generations and Godzilla Generations: Maximum Impact were both released on the DC. Both also weren't that good. Godzilla Generations was poor and Maximum Impact was a reworking of it, Godzilla Generations Special if you will. It's better but still not worth hunting down.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Erm....Maximum Impact is nothing like Generations....The First One (generations) was very much like rampage in 3d you basdically had to get a 100% destruction rate on each level, you started with heisei godzilla and the orginal mecha godzilla, when you completed the game with these you got the orginal 50's godzilla up, the American Godzilla, Minilla (AKA Son of godzilla) and Even Dr Serizawa Complete with Oxygen Destroyer in hand. It was a rather enjoyable game and easily the best G game to date.

Maximum impact was terrible!! basically you each level had 2 stages the first stage was sort of like an on rail shooter like Rez but super slow and only destrying fighter planes, the second stage was abit better you fought other monsters 1 on 1 such as ghidorah, mothra and destroyah, but movement is very limited and basically all you did was stand there firing your breath at them!!

If you gonna get one pick the first up because it is rather enjoyable!!

[ June 04, 2002: Message edited by: NeoDragoN ]</p>