come on people....this new aes system...

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
i hate this feeling
i know no one's going to agree with me,
but i dont care,
i still wanna say what i gotta say

you're all excited about this thing
but lets ponder for a while

1)
what about people who just bought for 400 dollars the converter,
id be MIGHTLY pissed off if i was one of em

2)
if such a system came out,and this goes for the converter also,
the non written rule:
"aes for the posh collectors,mvs for the gamers" will be thrown right outta the window

well,not completely but at least to a certain extent

the prices of the mvs carts is goin to rise,
and you ALL know that,
so people into mvs carts shouldnt be too happy about this

3)
i am quoting:
"they need to create a cheap home cart system to attract a new generation of gamers"

wrong

most people would just look at you like if you were a madman if you told me you love 2d games...we gotta embrace this supreme truth

its just us and us only

the new generation dont want this stuff
not for 30 dollars let alone for 200 or 300

if you offered them a neo cart system and kof 2000 for...say...150 dollars

theyd tell you to fuck off cos:
"id rather have two or three psx2 games"

this is the truth,like it or not

4)neolord
come on i like you and all
but what are you exactly
their spokesman??

5)all this talk about this so called community:why cant we be honest?

"it would be
cool if they could
get snks permission
to reproduce AES titles
like MOTW and MS3
so there would be
more out there"

oh yes,sure

this person i know always says this:
the chase is half the fun

plus,go ahead and tell them people who just found motw for 600 that arcade is goin to put out SHITLOADS copies of it

lets see the reactions,
lets see if they are all happy for the community,thinkin their 600+ dollars rare game is now all over the place

and lastly

i dont care if arcade is doin it and its official

it will ALWAYS be something non official to me

there are three neo system

cart,cd and cdz

thats it

i mean come on whats the point?

Robert

20 Year Member
I agree with you on many points but you must consider one thing.Kof 2000 is the last game that Snk will produce for AES and many fans don't want that their favorite system stops . So,even if this new AES is not official, it's the only way to play new games.Perhaps SNK will produce an official new AES,seeing the success of !arcade! one.
Things can't stop like this.

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
4)neolord come on i like you and all
but what are you exactly their spokesman??

I like you too, Fran.
I belong to the press; I receive Press Release information from numerous companies, and !Arcade! is one of them. Why not post it here for everyone to read? Yes, I am
VERY enthusiastic about this AES II system because !Arcade! had proven people wrong about their Phantom-1 convertor.

5)all this talk about this so called community:why cant we be honest?

"it would be
cool if they could
get snks permission
to reproduce AES titles
like MOTW and MS3
so there would be
more out there"

It depends: if you convert Neo cartridges and claim they're official SNK merchandise, you will need SNK's legal blessing. However, if you convert Neo cartridges and call them 'unofficial"
Neo-Geo wares, SNK will not bother you. As we already know, Dion calls his cartridges 'Official' and claims to be the 'official' distributor for SNK in America. We all know that isn't true.

This is what I've heard about !Arcade!'s AES II system: it's not suppose to replace their convertor, Fran. This system is for people who didn't agree with the MVS convertor. Based on the reports I heard, it will be an advancement. More as its released!

------------------
terry1.gif

NeoLord
Neo-News and much more!
http://neonews.cjb.net

[This message has been edited by NeoLord (edited January 31, 2001).]

S

Silent_Scope

At this point it's hard for me to say anything. I may buy the convertor but not the new AES system. If new system will cost me another $500 to $600 then forget about it. 10 years ago I spent that kinda money to buy NEO GEO and I'll never spend same amount of money again. There are a lot of powerful console out there (PS 2, XBox, and Gamecube) and it's hard for me to dig out money from my pocket. If new console will cost around $300 then it's another story. Look at Sega 3rd Genesis and SNES junior, it's cheap cheap cheap. If SNK, NEO or any manufacturer tries to revive the Neo game kingdom and compete with next generation console, it's better to start with lower price since Neo system is over 10 years old. Even lots ppl say that great games like Metal Slug 3 or KOF 2000 is still showing Neo power but pricing is the main issue. One Neo game can buy 3 DC console, 1 1/2 PS 2 (with DVD playback) or GameBoy Advance ($255, console with 3 games from NCS pre-order plus some money left). From the business point of view I dont' think it's good to invest the same console unless it's in cheaper price range.
Correct me or not.....it's just my own opinion. I'm still a loyal Neo gamer but money issue is a big concern.

outsider

Benimaru's Hairdresser
I like the idea very much because it will provide me with an excellent way to play home games and the JAMMA part I really like.

I agree, it wont revive the Neo, the Neo cant be revived without SNK wanting it to, that would take a whole other set of things to happen which probably wont, atleast not now. I myself, will be purchasing one of these if everything seems to go as planned and the price is not too steep.

Lets wait and see.

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
I always find it interesting the level of criticism that seems to follow any Neo innovation that leads to the platform becoming more accessable. Fran's comments follow this model perfectly. And Fran, this is in no way meant as an attack, as your opinion is just that. I am simply offering mine.

1) For the people that bought the adaptor, they are no worse off tha they were before. Yes, they spent $400, but they also got a quality piece of merchandise that they can use with their existing home cart system. The fact that a new form factor is available (that perhaps offers debug and multi bios) should in no way diminish the fact that an adapter user is better off than they were before. This is tantamount to saying a TG-16 player that bought the original CD add on, and each subsequent CD card should be upset at the fact that a more recent 'Engine fan can get the whole package by buying a Duo and one card. Silly.

2) The posh to gamer comparison? This is just so irrelevant to anything meaningful. What someone paid to addorn their bookcase should in no way be of concern of anyone wanting to keep the Neo alive. This is Dion's justification for selling his home cart stock at such silly prices and I don;t see anybody agreeing with him. There are a number of people out there that own home carts that are quite expensive. I have a few myself. The idea that MVS games may be easilly playable with this new form factor in no way effects the fact that home carts are harder to come by. Will home carts drop in price since the demand will in some way be minimized? I certainly hope so. Home cart prices for many quality games are jusy plain silly, and this is from someone that has spent a couple thousand dollars in the last year on home carts. The more people that get into this, the more fun it becomes. Does anybody really think that World Heroes 2 will somehow become out of reach for the "gamer" because MVS demand goes up? Even the entire Real Bout series can be purchased for pennies on the dollar and should prices go up, they won't go up to the point that they become unaffordable. $40 instead of $30? If that breaks your bank, you're in the wrong game. If anything, EMU's being so prevalent will serve to mitigate any substantial price increase anyway. People are cheap and many won't even consider KoF '98 at $70 a good deal because they can emulate it. Me? I'm pleased as punch that I can buy '98 for that kind of scratch. And I still may buy the Home cart simply because it's a favorite of mine and I like getting the home versions of my favorites.

3) I really don't disagree with this at all although, this being the case, who is it that will all of a sudden be raising the prices of MVS carts? You can't have it both ways. In order for MVS carts to go up APPRECIABLY, there needs to be a fairly large influx of people NEW to the Neo scene. Now, no doubt there will be new players should this new form factor be cheap enough and offer the features we would all love to see, but even if there were, it will more than likely not be anywhere near large enough to impact prices in a meaningful way. Like I said, you can't have it both ways. If it's just "us," then quite honestly, I don't see prices going anywhere. If there are a lot of new Neo heads, prices will probably go up a bit, but the sheer volume of MVS carts out there should prohibit the prices from going too high. There are THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of MVS versions out there of just about everything, save maybe the most recent of recent titles (KoF '00, Garou, maybe Ganryu). Does this make Garou go back up a bit on MVS? Perhaps. But even $140 (which is higher than what it goes for now if you look for even just a little bit) in contrast to $600 for the home version is a breath of fresh air to me. The price of AoF or Samurai 1-4 isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

4) I think NeoLord is: A) Simply excited, as many of us are and... B) Attempting to bring us news in the form of a scoop for his new mag. More power to him. I see no ass kissing here at all. The guy's just fired up.

5) Personally, I would love to see "shitloads" of Garou out there. And I paid $140 for my MVS cart. I think it would be great if there were a lot of them and people could buy them for say, $50. Why? Because I feel that as many people as possible shold be able to experience what in my mind is one of the best fighters ever. What do I care if somebody paid less than me? I have been playing my copy for quite a while for the extra cash. I paid something on the order of $100 for the original SF2 for my SNES when it first came out in Japan. Does it bother me that this cart doesn't even sell for $9.99 in a bargain bin now? Not at all. People, we all need to just GET OVER the exclusivity factor of the Neo. If you're buying your carts just to know that many others don't have it/can't afford it, well then...F' off, quite frankly. I hear all this bitching about the mass market out there dissing 2D and just not getting it but at the same time many of us don't want the Neo items to be accessable. Make up you damned mind! If you want 2D to be appreciated, how about supporting the release of an item that can allow more people to enjoy the best 2D machine ever conceived? To an earlier point, many mass market players will simply say, "screw that, it's only 2D." Great! This is the same person that watches "Princess Mononoke" with the English dub turned on. AKA, a lost cause.

6) Official. Good Christ on a crutch. Forgive my language, but F@#$ official. Jeff Kurtz' Neo Bios mod is not official. It's a hack to existing hardware that completely destroys any and all "collectable" value to the console to which the mod has been performed. Would any one of us complain about owning a "Super Neo." Of course not! And why? Because it allows the experience of playing to be a lot more fun. Jeff has made a huge contribution to Neo players around the world and this new item is no less important, nor is it any more or less an afront to "collectability." Do I collect Neo games? Technically, yes. But I don't care on little bit about what it's worth 6 months from now. To me, it's worth a LOT of fun at any time I want to fire up my cabinet or my homesystem. THAT'S the value. Not some stupid price list that I can depend on should I want to liquidate my assets.

If you're in it for the money, get out. In not too many years, all of the real Neo heads will be a little older and a little wiser. Their money wil go elsewhere and the "collector" market will decrease in number SUBSTANTIALLY. I have already commented on this topic in another thread. WITHOUT FAIL, all things collected go through a honeymoon period. I think the Neo's honeymoon is over and we are into the middle life cycle of the Neo resurgance. In a number of years, and not too many mind you, people will get older and the market will move on to other items of interest. This is the law of economics and the Neo will be no exception.

7) What's the point? The point is, should I be able to play all of my MVS carts on this new system with the Bios select and whatever else, I will be overjoyed. It will allow me more versatility with my games and that is always a good thing. I hope this new console comes in at $300. I will probably get one (provided it does what I am hoping it will do). And, I also hope that it is wildly popular. So much so that before too long, THE PRICE GOES DOWN AGAIN!!! Gasp!!! "But I paid $300 for mine. I'm the Neo hardcore that supported some scrubs option to buy it cheaper at a later time! I'm mad!" Well, tough rocks. And I paid $299 for my PSX too.

Smoke that any and all elitist collectors!
icon33.gif

------------------
kof96_ryostance.gif
-RyoGeo

[This message has been edited by RyoGeo (edited January 31, 2001).]

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
yeah look

dont have time to read all of them things you wrote cos i'm in a hurry

will do it tonight

hey....what you wrote....
profound statement reflectin' the times?

i very much hope so,'geo

you already won your battle,
prize is nothing but a warm fuzzy feeling.....congratulations in advance?

laters

S

Silent_Scope

Fran:
you called it a battle?
Remember, "never stop fighting til the fight is done"....
biggrin.gif
LOL

shroudz

n00b
What can I say, Im at a total loss for words, To be honest I got into the Neo as an Investment, Dont laugh at the time it seemed good, Certain games or series were always increasing in value eg metal slug series
and it was only a matter of having the money and selling later, The problem Is I fell in love with the Neo and Money was not a factor anymore,They announced the closure of SNK USA and I didn't sell then, last game would be kof 2000, didn't sell, Now this,Yes MVS games will go up and perhaps aes games down.Think about it, there is always someone out there willing to sell Mark of the Wolves and For now someone willing to buy it but as it becomes more reasnable to buy an MVS,aes will go down to an extent, I feel for u ppl out there that bought a shitload of Neo aes games and then stopped playing them but kept on buying them just so they can be put on a shelf as a collectors item. I collect games for Most Console platforms, So if an Atari Protype thats unrealesed can sell for $500, why In 20 years time will someone pay $500 for mark of the wolves, as the game will be so outdated in technology, 3d VR may be the norm by then , so Currently looking at the dreamcast to the neo will be like looking at the colecovision to the atari. Old is old and it won't matter if there is still that tiny amount of ppl who play Neo as it will be so outdated that it will be equivalent to an atari cart though slightly more.My advice is If you want the money sell Now as the Neo is Currently at its peak still in $$$$.

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
Hey, Fran. Not about winning and loosing for me. Your comments just made me think, That's all. Now that I've written it, I don't have it floating around in my head.

icon33.gif

------------------
kof96_ryostance.gif
-RyoGeo

Shuuchan

Crossed Swords Squire
I idsagree about no one wanting 2d anymore.
The Game Boy sells a shitload of game and they're all 2d. If they went the Genesis 3 route and released a smaller cheaper AES with more affordable games it culd bring in some popularity,
-Shuuchan

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I don't know, I think it is cool that Arcade is making this new machine. And the JAMMA slot is a nice addition, I mean, come on you can play MVS and other games on here (but how would the CPS 2 or 3 boards work, only 4 buttons wired, and no way to wire a Capcom Jamma harness). Anyway, it sounds cool, I am not interested in the slightest by it, but if you want a new home system there you go. My only problem is this, you guys all freak out because Neo Geo Freak calls their stuff offical but it is not, is Arcade trying to pass this system off as offical as well. Calling it the AES II is risky I would think, since SNK of Japan stil owns the rights to the machine, and may not appreciate their BIOS being sold. God, all of this is just rambling, just ignore me
smile.gif
I am just confused by the new unit.

-Nick

Ukyo

20 Year Member
Fran is right though guys...if this AES II system is released in the near future, it wont be for anyone else but the people on this forum, its not gonna expand the market, its not gonna give the Neo new life...all its gonna do is provide another option in Neo gaming for the people who are already in the scene...and thats us.

------------------
garou_title.jpg

"Garou"- <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/tonberry_hunter/index.html
" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/tonberry_hunter/index.html
</A> -Tachibana Ukyo

S

Silent_Scope

True true
Many many people will play Neo at arcade (you can rarely find any in US, or not a lot, I mean) but will never spend money to get AES II. People are crazy for the next generation system (XBox, PS2, etc) and who will care about the 10-year-old Neo?
Just us and some newbies .........that's it.
Population isn't as big as Big N, Sega, and Sony

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
glad i'm not alone on this then....

great minds think alike...and all...heh

this is for them people from arcade,
no wait...!arcade!:
Some things are just not meant to be,
and it's sadly not quite that easy i'm afraid

please ponder

D

DRUNKEN SHAOLIN DEVIL

ALWAYS GOTTA BE SOME WEAK CRUMP DRAGGIN DOWN NEW IDEAS.....FEEBLE MINDS THINK ALIKE I SAY..........

------------------
SAMHAINBANNA.gif

D

DRUNKEN SHAOLIN DEVIL

ONE THING I MIGHT ADD...A DUEL SYSTEM WOULD REVOLUTIONIZE THE NEO..SAY A 2 SLOT AES,MVS COMPATIBLE HOME SYSTEM..WITH DEBUG,AND ALL THE GOODIES..LIKE OTHERS HAVE SAID..ONE MACHINE THAT CAN PLAY BOTH VERSIONS WOULD BE THE WICKEDEST SHIT KNOWN TO MAN...IT COULD LOOK INDENTICAL TO THE NEO NOW BUT WITH 2 SLOTS FOR EACH SYSTEMS CARTS..I LIKE THE JAMMA IDEA..BUT THIS WOULD BE FAR FAR BETTER IN MY OPINION ALSO....

------------------
SAMHAINBANNA.gif

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
It's too bad i seemed dead wrong to you,
but I wont lose any sleep over it

It is all about personal preference, yes, but your preference is crap