Report on my trip to Japan (looong)

Ryoga

n00b
Well, this is my report on what I found in Japan. If the admin or this board mod thinks it should be moved then be my guest and do so but warn me.

First of all, I will comment on the two new handhelds that are floating around: Wonderswan Color and Gameboy Advance, as I bought one for me and the other for a cousin.

WonderSwan Color: As I knew Guilty Gear Petit was already out and Final Fantasy was in its way I though it would be a good idea to buy one. Big mistake. The control is crap, separate direction keys (there are eight, Guilty Gear uses only four) make it the worst handheld for playing fighting games. Barely more colors per sprite than NGPC. I can't see the big technological advance as to call it a next generation handheld (it only has a bigger display).

Gameboy Advance: Again more colors than NGPC and seems that it's better in that department than WSC. Better controlers than WSC (the direction keys are all stick together). Still, it looks like the SNes instead of the Play Station as I was specting.

Summing it up, I hope they keep releasing games for my NGPC (I still need to lear how to play MahJong).

Tokyo Game Show:

In general, I finally got to see some games that really used the power inside PS2 and they impressed me. A Konami game for the X Box seemed to be superior to anything in the PS2 in graphical quality, but I hope Bill Gaytes fails to seize the console market.

There were really pretty chicks in every stand and some great cosplayers (those chicks really put effort on their designs).

There were only a few stands that really cought my attention:

Konami: They were demonstrating Silent Hill 2 and it totally rocks!!! Besides they gave people some CDs with games (I haven't tried them yet). Other thing I liked was a Windows port of Antartic Adventure, made me remember the good old MSX days.

Konami Shop: Got some Suikogaiden posters, but I was expecting some better stuff (or more varied to say the least).

Capcom: They got two of the best chicks in the whole place. They found the perfect girl for the Chun Li costume. Didn't care too much about that stand.

Crapcom Shop: Utter crap for me (I'm no Resident Evil fan). The only interesting thing I found was a couple of cards with Athen and Hotaru (yeap, the SNK charas).

Square: They were displaying the full intro of Final Fantasy X and had machines playing it. Good stand.

Square Shop: I'm not a big Square fan so I couldn't find anything really interesting.

Aruze: They were demonstrating Shadow Hearts which worthes getting a PS2 and buying it. Almost no SNK games (a small TV showing a demo of Garou). The only strange thing I noticed was a small sign saying "SNK vs Capcom" with a "2" behind it. The rest was Pachinko, Pachinko, Pachinko.

There were other good stands and some crappy ones (die, X Box, die), but those were the most important (to me at least).

Pachinko:

I don't know which one is the relation of SNK with Aruze right now or how big Aruze is in the Pachinko market, but I can tell you Pachinko is BIG, really BIG. Even in small towns where you see small houses, there's always a big bright Pachinko building.

Arcades:

I've been to a lot of them. Here is my "most played 2D fighting games" list:

1) Guilty Gear X
2) KoF 2K
3) SF Zero 3 Upper
4) SF3:3S

Below that, it becomes debatable. Note that the distance between the 1 and 2 is very short, so is the one between 3 and 4 (and believe me I'm being unbiased at it).

Something I've found is that most arcades still have a Samurai Spirits 2 and some have a Last Blade 2. Just SRKers I've chacked how much play MvsC2 was getting and only found a couple of places having that game (NeoGeo Land being one of those) and the only two guys I've seen playing were doing so against the CPU.

BTW At NeoGeo Land in Osaka, I saw Beast Busters Second Nightmare (anyone remembers the old Beast Busters? It was a great game IMO). This title is somewhat old but I've never seen it before in my country (and I've seen many Hyper NeoGeo 64 games). The first level was very easy, the second was moderatedly easy with a tough boss and the third was complete hell.

On KoF2K, the striker that dominates the scene is surely Seth (but I've also seen a good Syo user). I had almost no surprises on the selected characters, just waaay better execution and timing than I'm used to.

HIDDEN WARRIOR

Ninja Combat Warrior
ooooh!Tell us more!How are the chicks there?Whats the ratio for hotties versus uglies?

[This message has been edited by HIDDEN WARRIOR (edited April 20, 2001).]

outsider

Benimaru's Hairdresser
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ryoga:

Arcades:

I've been to a lot of them. Here is my "most played 2D fighting games" list:

1) Guilty Gear X
2) KoF 2K
3) SF Zero 3 Upper
4) SF3:3S

Interesting, I have two questions.

1) GGX is actually an arcade game in Japan?
2) SFZ3 Upper - what exactly does this SFZ3 have?

HIDDEN WARRIOR

Ninja Combat Warrior
As far as I now guilty gear x was first an arcade.As for SF ZERO 3 UPPER;its an enhanced SFA 3.Esentially its the dreamcast release with guile,deejay,feilong,and t.hawk.I believe it may have internet possibilities but im not sure about this.bottom line is:SF ZERO 3 UPPER is just the recent dreamcast version of SFA 3

------------------
LETS BURN IT UP!

Ryoga

n00b
As Hidden Warrior said, GGX is an arcade game over there. SFZ3 Upper has some extra characters that were in other games and some characters that where not playable in the prior arcade version plus some balancing (I guess).

And there were some real niiiiice girls over there. Schoolgirls don't seem to care if their undies get revealed. And I don't need to mention the chicks at TGS, with Capcom and Aruze having a close match (they really now how to choose their staff).

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HIDDEN WARRIOR:
As far as I now guilty gear x was first an arcade.As for SF ZERO 3 UPPER;its an enhanced SFA 3.Esentially its the dreamcast release with guile,deejay,feilong,and t.hawk.I believe it may have internet possibilities but im not sure about this.bottom line is:SF ZERO 3 UPPER is just the recent dreamcast version of SFA 3

Also, does anyone know if SFZ3U is CPS2, or Namoi?

HIDDEN WARRIOR

Ninja Combat Warrior
About that second paragraph,RYOGA,it sounds like heaven!yay!Did you take photographs of them?Did you see those vending machine's that sell used high school girls underwear?I hear these vending machines are even out in public places....

TO rade kuruc:thats a good question.I wish I had the answer for it....

[This message has been edited by HIDDEN WARRIOR (edited April 20, 2001).]

Mithotyn

n00b
Rade Kuruc & Hidden Warrior: SFZ3 Upper runs on the new Naomi GD-Rom system.

Ryoga: Does Rival Schools 2 get any play in japanese arcades? What about Dead or Alive 2? Always wondered how those two games did over there ...

Roger

n00b
Man,Please tell...you saw the demo of Garou for DC running/showing in a small TV?How the game looks?How manny minutes the demo you saw have and what he shows?The backgrounds are 2D or 3D(like KOF99:Evo for DC)?Did you saw some new character or something different
from the arcade version?
Please tell
Thanks

Ryoga

n00b
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HIDDEN WARRIOR:
About that second paragraph,RYOGA,it sounds like heaven!yay!Did you take photographs of them?Did you see those vending machine's that sell used high school girls underwear?I hear these vending machines are even out in public places....

Heh, it's not like you see them all the time. They use to wear long skirts, but the ones using short skirts don't care about showing it. I was with a friend at a Mc Donalds and a girl in front of us tried to look something in a table and showed us her red undies. But I didn't take pictures (I want to go back someday). Oh, and I haven't see any of those vendor machines.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mithotyn:
Does Rival Schools 2 get any play in japanese arcades? What about Dead or Alive 2? Always wondered how those two games did over there ...

Every arcade has a Rival Schools 2 and a Dead or Alive 2 machines. No one plays any of them (I haven't seen anyone doing so). But DoA has already been out for more than a year.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Roger:
Man,Please tell...you saw the demo of Garou for DC running/showing in a small TV?

Nope, I don't think so. It seemed to be the MVS version of Garou. Nothing new.

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
Cool Ryoga, thanks for your thoughts. I'm finally going to Japan myself in about two weeks and I am really PSYCHED; among others things I'll finally be able to get some of the Neo Geo and other "rare" titles for a decent price.
wink.gif

Lee

------------------
"Issue the JUSTICE!!"
insertcutout1.gif

Ryoga

n00b
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lyte Edge:
Cool Ryoga, thanks for your thoughts. I'm finally going to Japan myself in about two weeks and I am really PSYCHED; among others things I'll finally be able to get some of the Neo Geo and other "rare" titles for a decent price.
wink.gif

Lee

If you're going there, make sure to visit Akihabara and Shinjuku in Tokyo and Esaka in Osaka (a must for any NeoGeo freak). Oh, and ask the guys that work in NeoGeo Land about buying some wallscrolls, they will give them to you for free (I have that big wallscroll of Shiki).

If you need any advice on how to move in Japan, feel free to ask me.

[This message has been edited by Ryoga (edited April 24, 2001).]

Scrawny

, ,
Gameboy Advance: Again more colors than NGPC and seems that it's better in that department than WSC. Better controlers than WSC (the direction keys are all stick together). Still, it looks like the SNes instead of the Play Station as I was specting.
<end>
Did u not see tony hawks, in full 3d?
that is more plystation like.