Why are people so damn scared of emulation?

KK

Kim, Kaphwan, Klan,
I mean, really? For all the DC and above systems, emulation isn't possible, and I wouldn't use it anyway. The only systems that are emulated are systems that are no longer in use (or barely, in the case of the N64).

I have well over 1000 ROMs for these systems:

Game Boy
Genesis
Impact (Capcom 3D arcade, such as Star Gladiator, SFEX, Rival Schools, etc.)
Master System (never use it though)
Mame (never use it either)
N64
Neo Geo
Nes (I have every NES game ever made)
NGPC
SNES
CPS-1
CPS-2
Plus KI arcade machine emulator.

So the way I see it, I have 2 options:

1. Pay $500 to get an AES and KOF98.

2. Use that $500 to buy 10 Dreamcast games, and play a perfect version of KOF98 on NeorageX, that also includes the MVS version, better options, etc.

Emulation doesn't affect arcades, because the whole point is you're playing other people in a social environment, and it also doesn't affect systems in which most of the sales are driven by collectability (Neo Geo). So lighten up, and get a life. And download a ROM or 2. You just might like it.

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
Nobody fears emulation, Kim. Some of us view emulation as a poor way to support the industry.

------------------
rbsterry.gif

NeoLord
Neo-News and much more!
http://neonews.cjb.net

[This message has been edited by NeoLord (edited April 16, 2001).]

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
Hey, it would be easier for me to rob a bank that work for a living. Some things are just wrong, though.

------------------
-BioMotor_Unitron
"Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto!"

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
There's nothing wrong with classic emulation (i.e. old Arcade systems, SNES, etc.) but not when it pertains to a system that is still being supported by the parent company. If the system is still being supported, I'd rather purchase my software and own the actual hardware. Respect our decision to support the system and we'll respect your decision to support emulation.

[Edited for content]

------------------
rbsterry.gif

NeoLord
Neo-News and much more!

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
So basically what you're doing is knocking me for owning the 'REAL DEAL' and claiming the emu is better,is that it???
You know I always read that pathetic excuse about how expensive the system and a game costs and what you would do with the money but the fact is that you would'nt go out and purchase 10 DC games you'd purchase a bootleg CD filled with DC games because you have no home,meaning your deprived of ever knowing what it feels like to be dedicated and loyal to a great system.
It's okay for you to play your lil' emu but don't you dare start a thread knocking the original product! If not for the original product there would be no emulator!
I feel sorry for you because the feeling I get from tis hobby is one you'll never experience! It feels good up here!
-BB

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
This should have been started in Unrelated Topics anyway, or probably the War Room, considering the route things will probably take.

------------------
-BioMotor_Unitron
"Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto!"

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
Kim you make everyone who uses emulation look bad, hell you didn't even space Kap Hwan properly for the Americanized translation
frown.gif

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
ITS A DISGRACE AND THE ILLEGALITY IS ANOTHER ISSUE, I BELEIVE THE REAL FANS BUY THE REAL PRODUCTS....

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BIG BEAR:
So basically what you're doing is knocking me for owning the 'REAL DEAL' and claiming the emu is better,is that it???
You know I always read that pathetic excuse about how expensive the system and a game costs and what you would do with the money but the fact is that you would'nt go out and purchase 10 DC games you'd purchase a bootleg CD filled with DC games because you have no home,meaning your deprived of ever knowing what it feels like to be dedicated and loyal to a great system.
It's okay for you to play your lil' emu but don't you dare start a thread knocking the original product! If not for the original product there would be no emulator!
I feel sorry for you because the feeling I get from tis hobby is one you'll never experience! It feels good up here!
-BB

I gain great satisfiaction from owning a Neo-Geo system. Of course, the mentality here seems to be somewhat flawed: some people seem to feel that downloading a ROM can be justified by a few trips to the arcade. If the system was 'dead' and had no source of income, the people who frequent here wouldn't be so hard on you emu freaks.

------------------
rbsterry.gif

NeoLord
Neo-News and much more!