KOF 2K3 on MVS

Amix

Benimaru's Hairdresser
According to Trieu. Chaos, SS0, MS5, and now KOF2K3 . . . all within 6 months? I need a raise.

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Well fuck, I was wrong.

Ahh well, another year another KOF. Hopefully they'll redraw some stuff as SvC has so raised the bar when it comes to new releases.

*crosses fingers*

Amix

Benimaru's Hairdresser
JHendrix:
Well fuck, I was wrong.

Ahh well, another year another KOF. Hopefully they'll redraw some stuff as SvC has so raised the bar when it comes to new releases.

*crosses fingers*
Yeah, hopefully Terry will have a new hat.

JHendrix

Amix:
JHendrix:
Well fuck, I was wrong.

*crosses fingers*
Yeah, hopefully Terry will have a new hat.
Well he's thrown away like how many over the years?

Amix

Benimaru's Hairdresser
JHendrix:
snip
Too many.

I'm worried about 2k3. It's the year they're supposed to start something new, and I just think we're going to get the new "updated" Chaos characters with a modified engine and a few new people for good measure. oh_no

JHendrix

Yeah this is the year they're supposed to be doing something completely new. I do have some faith though, if you look at how they animated Kim's stance in 2k2, they've got something in them, same thing goes for how they animated a lot of the Capcom characters in SvC.

Hopefully they'll just redraw a lot of shit, because honestly they have the talent for it. As for the story, I've about had my fill of Nests but it'd be nice to see some new things done with Kusanagi/Orochi again. That or a whole new character/team to take on some new powerful force that will somehow take possesion of Rugal once again. :p

lordnikon

Another Striker
I think they need to do something more innovative with KOF2003. 2000, 2001, and 2002 were all great games that kinda improved upon each other. With 2002 they added some great gameplay enhancements.

With 2003 I feel they need to do something a tad more creative, maybe a new twist. Possibly shortening the roster, adding new characters, and new features. Maybe a character roster revolving around a storyline.

They just need to do something innovative and new with the KOF series(and I do NOT mean 3D....NO 3d!!!!). Seeing as how svc and SSzero are developing rather nicely, hopefully KOF2k3 will have some innovative new features.

<small>[ August 07, 2003, 07:01 AM: Message edited by: lordnikon ]</small>

Amix

Benimaru's Hairdresser
JHendrix:
Yeah this is the year they're supposed to be doing something completely new. I do have some faith though, if you look at how they animated Kim's stance in 2k2, they've got something in them, same thing goes for how they animated a lot of the Capcom characters in SvC.

Hopefully they'll just redraw a lot of shit, because honestly they have the talent for it. As for the story, I've about had my fill of Nests but it'd be nice to see some new things done with Kusanagi/Orochi again. That or a whole new character/team to take on some new powerful force that will somehow take possesion of Rugal once again. :p
Story-wise I'm sure we'll see something interesting, but I highly doubt we'll get any redrawn sprites for the staple characters, because we would've saw them in Chaos.

But, maybe they're planning on expanding the universe in which KOF takes place - add some characters no one would expect.

JHendrix

Amix:
Story-wise I'm sure we'll see something interesting, but I highly doubt we'll get any redrawn sprites for the staple characters, because we would've saw them in Chaos.

But, maybe they're planning on expanding the universe in which KOF takes place - add some characters no one would expect.
See that's what worries me, they were a bit too "lets rip from this" when it came to the SNK sprites in SVC. From Terry's buster wolf super that came from MOTW or Takuma's uppercut super effect that was ripped from Butt's MOTW super animation.

Lets put it this way: we can hope.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Orochi is gone/dead and NESTS is defeated, now it's all about dragons and magic scrolls I guess.

Does "dragons" ring a bell? Perhaps they want to put RotD/Matrimelee charas into it, not sure about the story/timeline issues here, but it's imaginable, for ex. by replacing Chang and Choi with Mr. Jones and Kang or something like that.

I only hope they keep the strikers out.

kshira

Crazed MVS Addict
Man I just hope it doesn't look like 2002... even though I'll probably buy it anyway annoyed .

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I've got a feeling that Bao will be more prominent. And maybe a bit older.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Dammit, if they rehash the same shit again, I'm going to be pissed. I love the sprites, I love the gameplay, but its time for a major change.

If they don't do something to completely revitalize this series, its going to die and fast. It positevely begs to be made on new hardware. I was hoping and praying that it would be brought to the Atomiswave, but I guess that was just a pipedream.

$10 says it'll just be same deal as '01 and '02. Senselessly hyperactive backrounds with a horrendously dull color pallete and tunes that shit on the greatness of the original sound team.

SNK used to be about breaking new ground in terms of 2D graphics and gameplay. Now its just the same "Its good enough, hi-res is too hard" attitude that Capcom has. I'm all for keeping the Neo alive, but something has to give, otherwise SNK Playmore is going to sink just like it did 2 years ago.

Fluff_Daddy

Galford's Armourer
I can stand '96 sprites for another year, but for the tenth anneversarie I wanna see sprite rips from MOTW.

BoriquaSNK

His Excellency BoriquaSNK,, The Ambassador of Appl
15 Year Member
why not shorten the roster to 4 playable teams...one secret team, maybe a boss or two, and use Nona's talent and make a completely new designed game. They could MOTW animation with so many less characters, and bring the game back to its roots.

wishful thinking I know.

Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

Mega Shock!!
yeah they need to start everything from scratch. hopefully with SVC raising the bar, maybe it will happen this year or the next.

ViperDTS

n00b
I don't know, I have a feeling they're just going to reuse the same character animations and sprites, but maybe add a few new backgrounds and the possiblity of one or two new teams for 2K3. However when 2K4 comes out I think we'll see a big change. It is, as said before, the 10th anniversary after all, so we should see at least SOME kind of change for 2K4. At least we can hope... I guess we'll see eventually.

Tuba

n00b
I think that maybe Playmore could use the experience that they gained doing SS0 and SVC on Kof2k3 and make a good game like the oldest kof games! I know it will probably not happen butt we got to have faith!
And it would be really nice if they do like SNK did till 97 and use some characters of other games instead of creting new lame ones like K999. It would be cool to see a ROTD or a Matrimelee team, or even some a team with some characters from FF or AOF that weren´t used yet.

outsider

Benimaru's Hairdresser
KOF is way to played out IMO... same shit, diffirent year.

Too little change... it needs a drastic change in the series to make me care about it anymore.

Gimme MOTW2 instead...

Scalpeur

Genam's Azami Sharpener
I'm not so sure that KOF2k3 will really be released.
I think there will be a 2k4 really different from the others kof. (maybe on an ther hardware)
But if I'm wrong and if kof2k3 is released, I won't be interested in it unless it's really different (according to the graphics for example)

<small>[ August 08, 2003, 05:19 AM: Message edited by: Scalpeur ]</small>

Nomax

Kula's Candy
I'm afraid that KOF2003 will be rushed and won't be that good... But I hope I'm wrong! annoyed

Shining Kooksu

Zero's Secretary
Scalpeur:
I'm not so sure that KOF2k3 will really be released.
I think there will be a 2k4 really different from the others kof. (maybe on an ther hardware)
But if I'm wrong and if kof2k3 is released, I won't be interested in it unless it's really different (according to the graphics for example)
I am thinking the same thing. With all of the other releases KOF 2K3 might slip of of SNKPlaymore's plate. In which case they will have the whole year to revitalize the series for 2K4. Alot of people are saying that they will still release 2K3 and then revitalize at 2K4. It would be so out of place though since the series does a few games then a dream match. That means 2K4 would be a continuation of 2K3, but if it were completely revamped with 2K4 it wouldn't feel like a continuation. The cycle would get messed up. The best thing to happen would be that they revamp everything with 2K3 and the story and actual game we have with 2K3-2K5 would be the best in the series. That way we can have our completely redesigned KOF earlier than 2K4. Of course they would have to skip on a big anniversary deal with 2K4. They wouldn't be able to give a special stand alone anniversary feeling to it since it will be part of the new saga. It will need continuity. Remember this is all wishful thinkning. However, it makes logical sense that they will skip 2K3 because they will be busy with all of the other releases, plus it will actually give them a chance, and the time, to make a special anniversary edition and then set the high standard for many KOFs to come. I guess they could also do another cut and paste dream match for 2K3 so that they can focus all of their effort on the special edition of 2K4. That would be caca though, I'd rather they didn't do anything until 2K4.

Edit: I suppose if 2K3 were in development before SNK went uder, much in the same way SvC and SS0 was, it might be something special. That seems like an impossibilty though since it wasn't the year 2003 and they wouldn't develop for a KOF a couple years down the line. They could have layed the ground work, back then, for something special that they could implement in KOF 2K3 however.

<small>[ August 11, 2003, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Shining Kooksu ]</small>